Quantcast Getting kids to sleep early...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Getting kids to sleep early...

Okay - this question may invoke all kinds of responses, but I'm posting it anyway - I'm also calling my pediatrician, and will post her resonse, so others will benefit...

My question - what has worked for people in getting their young (4 & 7) children to bed EARLY the night before an EARLY flight?? Our flight is at 6 am in early May, and I'd really like to have them out cold by 6:30 or 7, as they'll be getting up around 3:30 or 4 am (they're usually asleep about 8pm). I'm planning on darkening their rooms, as it's VERY light in their rooms, even at 8pm... but I know that between the earlier hour, excitement, etc., they'll have a tough time going to bed w/o "help". Does anyone know what is recommended when kids are flying overseas and need to sleep on the flight, etc., that could be used to help them crash early?? I know that whenever they've been sick, Motrin has made them a little sleepy... any other ideas or recommendations?

I'm an RN, so I hesitate to give meds too liberally... but I'm sure there are tried and true methods out there that have worked, so that litle ones can get a good night's sleep before a long and exciting day!

Now, if there was just something strong enough to put ME to sleep early.... I'll be lying there like the man in the commercial, "I'm too excited to sleep!!"
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe wake them up an hour or 2 earlier than usual on that day?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sleepy kids

This is what has always worked for me. Get the kids up a little earlier than normal than have a vigorous physical day. Escpecially about 3 hours before bed time. Doesn't have to be tough, just more than normal. Their body will want to recover and force them to sleep, take a rest on the travel day (If possible) and hopefully it works.

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to consider sticking with the normal bed time, early wake up, then sleep a bit on the plane. That's what mine did last year. They were 5 and 6 at the time. That worked out pretty well.
    Lily

Oct 1997 Disneyland
    Oct 2001 Disneyland
    Aug 2005 Coronado Springs Resort
    Feb 2006 Disneyland Hotel
    Sept 2006 Caribbean Beach Resort
    Sept 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
    Nov 2008 Coronado Springs Resort
    April 2010 Caribbean Beach Resort
    Nov 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are just 2 1/2 and 3 1/2, but I can tell you what works when I've needed to get them asleep (not just in bed, but actually asleep) earlier than usual.
    These are the things we do all the time anyway: For starters, we keep their room very dark, and cool. I keep a desk fan on for noise, and we also play an "ocean sounds" nature cd to help cover any traffic or household noises.
    When we want them to be asleep early, first thing is that we skip naptime that day (but, I'm figuring yours are past the point of daily naps anyway, right?). I try to give them a physically rigorous day early (if they can get outside in the fresh air it's a major bonus to getting them sleepy earlier!), then I start dwindling the activity down as the evening approaches. I feed them dinner earlier, and make sure to give them a warm bath- not a play-time type of bath, but a calm one. I read somewhere once that when you fall asleep, your body temp drops. And to get kids to fall asleep quicker, give them a warm bath and then put them down in a cool room, encouraging the body temp drop.- I tried it, and it works wonders! I've found that even sitting quietly and watching tv is enough to stimulate them and keep them from falling asleep for awhile, so I usally try to pop them straight from the bath into bed. I know yours are older than mine, but when I want them asleep right away, I also carry them to bed rather than let them walk. That way they don't get hyped back up trying to race each other up the stairs or something. That routine works oh, I'll say 90% of the time. Now, if they knew we were going to WDW the next day, I think all bets would be off, lol.
    Since yours are older than mine, my routine may not work. But, I think that keeping them active early on in the day, and then bringing everything down to very low-key (as much as is possible the evening before a big trip! ) leading up to bedtime, is a definitely help!

Next up: November 2014
    DH, DS12, DS11, DD4, DD3, and me- along with my two sisters and their hubbies, ten nieces and nephews, my parents and MIL! As my youngest girlie says, "Yee-HAW!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    You may want to consider sticking with the normal bed time, early wake up, then sleep a bit on the plane. That's what mine did last year. They were 5 and 6 at the time. That worked out pretty well.
    I have to agree with this plan...frankly, I'd rather that my kids be sleepy on the plane -- makes them easier to deal with in my opinion! Also, I haven't had great luck in getting our 3 1/2 yr old to bed earlier than normal. I have read that you can slowly move bedtime back by 15 minute increments, but it hasn't really worked for me.

I wouldn't try to give Benadryl or something like that -- we had that backfire on us (we were giving it to our daughter for a cold, but we also thought it might help "sedate" her a little bit. Instead, it made her hyper!)

Last trip: DEC 2009 - POP

UPCOMING TRIP: JAN 2011 - POP/BC

Yes, I AM a Disney freak. But no, there is no such thing as a Disney Fantasy Dining League!

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't warm milk supposed to make you sleepy? Also, perhaps try some chamomile tea or have turkey for dinner. The trytophane should knock them out. We also have sleeping pills that aren't chemicals, they're natural stuff. I want to say meletonin, but I don't think that's right. Anyway, we take a pill cutter adn cut it in half, maybe you could do quarters? I'd definately do turkey for dinner though and make them run around as much as possible before.

I think I'd try to get them to sleep early the night before and if they need more sleep they can sleep on the plane. Because waht if they're too excited to sleep on the plane? Then EVERYONE will be grouchy. I'm a big plan-aheader, that way if it doesn't work out it leaves room to wiggle (or sleep!)
    Star light, star bright,
    first star I see tonight.
    I wish I may, I wish I might,
    have the wish, I wish tonight.
    We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do,
    and all our wishes,
    will come true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    This is how we go too. We do put the kids to bed earlier, but they tend to be awake for a while before they finally nod off. I figure it will all work itself out by the time we get home!!

Jennifer
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

We usually stick with normal bedtime and even though we have to get up eary for our flight, sometimes DS sleeps n the plane, sometimes he does not, but right after our stop at Walmart for supplies and popcorn chicken for him, he naps the rest of the way (which is not that long, but it is something!!!). Sometimes he falls asleep on the way to Walmart too, which makes for a nice hour long nap between the time it takes to get to the store, shop and then onto the resort....hopefully this can help you....if not, they'll crash after that first day anway......our bodies can only take so much, which I know is not what you are going for, but they'll sleep good that first night!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drug 'em.

Most pediatricians will not object to the occasional small dose of cough syrup before bed for the kids, and maybe a glass of wine for mom & Dad .

Just consult your doctor, as some kids have different reactions to meds, and they can actually make them more hyper.

Ya'll, PLEASE dont send a bunch of responses about how wrong I am. Its just a suggestion, it works for a lot of people, and I advised her to ask her doctor first. So back off.
    I'm finally going back! Next trip: July 16-22, 2006!

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you tell them the wrong day of departure. We have done this with our kids. They sleep great thinking tomorrow we will do our last packing because tomorrow night we will go to bed and get up early to go to the airport. They are surprised to find out that we are leaving a "day" earlier than they thought. It has worked for us. This year we are leaving 3 days early!
    LuAnn
    *Love that Mouse!~~"Are We There Yet?"
    Go UD!
    GO Dayton Flyers!

Post Thanks / Like

We fly overseas a lot...and before we went the first time, I asked a doctor about Benadryl on the airplane. He said up to a third of children get hyper on Benadryl..ie, if you are likely to "drug" your kids - try it first before the big night. I, of course, don't condone the practice...but...

Post Thanks / Like

i am a former professional nanny who did A LOT of traveling with young (newborn to 4) children...including Disney. Here's what I recommend:

1. Drugs. Seriously. Test your kids on Motrin or Benedryl the week before and see how they react. If it makes them drowsy then go for it. I used this method when it was imparative that the little ones get to sleep early and as long as you are not overdosing it is fine. This method was actually refered to me by my pharmist sister and the mother to 11.

2. I am not on the side of waking them up early and letting them sleep on the plane. In my experience, some people are plane sleepers and others are not. If you have a non-sleeper and wake them up without sufficiant sleep then you are in for a miserable flight (and first day of vacation). Just try to get them to sleep their normal number of hours.

3. To get back on track with normal hours after that early wake up, try to keep them awake until their normal bedtime. Allow a small nap during the day if you don't think they'll make it. Also, keep them hydrated. Dehydration does not make you the right kind of sleepy.

4. Use tin foil to cover the windows in your rooms and block out the light. This is an old Alaskan "24 hours of daylight in June" trick and it is cheap and effective.

5. Change your hours not your routine. Young children don't tell time but they have a routine and they stick to it. Any change at all to the routine and their bodies get all out of whack. Starting a few days before you leave, make adjustments to your schedule. Wake up a half an hour early, move lunch up an hour, have dinner at 5PM and not 6PM. Gradually moving your normal schedule forward a few hours before you leave will help everyone adjust to the early wake up. Sticking with your standard routine also helps calm your small ones the night before you leave.

6. Pack several days before and do major cleaning/laundry then too. Not only will you be really organized but without the last minute rushing around, your house will stay calmer and so will your children.

7. Don't talk about the trip too much the day before. Children's minds don't need as much sleep as their bodies and any excitement in their heads will keep their bodies awake. Think about Christmas Eve, after all the excitement of the day and wondering what presents you were going to get...did your body sleep? Nope. Remember, Disney has the same excitement level as Santa.

8. A long warm bubble bath and a drowsy book work wonders just before bed.

9. Get a sterio and play gentle lullabies while they are sleeping. Not Disney music or classical music. Lullabies. Disney music is written to be energetic or emotional and classical music is written to stir passions. Those are the last thing you want the night before the big wake up.

10. Anticipate crankiness. Listen, it is just going to happen. The gods did not intend for normal human beings to wake up before noon. Make sure that you get a good nights sleep and your children will be happier on travel day because you are.

I hope these tips work for you. They are definately tried and true on my part.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Boy, you guys are all awesome!! What a great bunch of ideas....

special thanks to akbuilt for her great list...

I'm thinking right now we will try an early wake up the day before we go, they will both be at school and I'll just make sure my 4 yr old's Pre-K teachers don't let her sleep... run them around when they get home, early bed after a nice warm bath, block the light out of their windows, and pray for the best!! Oh, and maybe a dose of Motrin w/ dinner... ...

My kids are early risers anyway, and know EXACTLY which day we are leaving, so trying to fool them, or waking them up early to sleep on the plane would never work... they've got the countdown posted on the refrig, and religiously cross off each day... and once they're up, they're UP... so, although those ideas are good ones, and I hope they benefit anyone else reading this looking for advice... I think my best bet is to go for the best night's sleep possible, and let them enjoy the plane ride. We're flying Jet Blue, and each seat has it's own TV with headphones, so my girls are REALLY looking forward to that... they think they're so BIG w/ their own TV!!

Thanks again so much for all the great ideas!! I'll let you know how it goes!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Who can sleep the night before???!!!
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR