Quantcast Riding the rails to Florida

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Riding the rails to Florida

My parents will be taking the train from Boston down to Orlando next December. My mother hates to fly and my Dad hates to drive long distances so taking the train was the compromise. Me and my family will fly down the day after they leave and hopefully arrive before they do and then pick them up at the train station. Here are my questions...
    1. Has anyone ever taken the train from Boston to Orlando and if so, how was it?
    2. Any suggestions I can pass along to my parents to make their train ride more comfortable.
    3. Do the trains usually arrive on time, early or late?
    Thanks.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I never took the train from Boston to Orlando, but I did take a train from Hartford to Raliegh NC, and to be quite honest, I don't know if I will ever do it again. Although I am a flier by choice. Actually, once we go past Washington, the trip wasn't to bad, at the begining it seemed like we stopped in very small town in Connecticut and New York. It was just long. We got stuck on the tracks in Virginia, and were at a full stop for about an hour or so, that didn't help at all either! Also when I went into the lounge car to get something to drink I had to leave, now mind you this was probably 15 or more years ago, and there was smoking allowed in there, so the car was so smokey you couldn't stand it (and I am a smoker, so what does that say?) Where it is such a long trip, are they getting a sleeper cabin, if so it probably wont be to bad because they could get away from everyone. Just make sure they bring a good book or something to keep them occupied! Sorry this was so negative, hopefully I am the only one that didn't enjoy my train ride! Also, have them pack light in case they have to change trains ( I didn't think I had to, but when I got to NYC I found out diffrently) you have to switch your own luggage. Again atleast on the trip that I took. Anyways again I hope there trip is much more enjoyable then mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I forgot

3. Do the trains usually arrive on time, early or late?
    Thanks.

I would count on late
    again sorry for being so negative

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. They are renting a sleeper cabin so hopefully that will make their trip a little more enjoyable. As for switching trains... the Amtrak website has them taking a train from Boston to NY or DC... then switching trains and taking a train from NY or DC to Orlando. I've told my parents they may want to pack light since they'll have to switch trains. Luckily there's a few hours between when the train from Boston arrives and when the train going to Orlando leaves.

Post Thanks / Like

my family of 5 took the train from Wilmington to Kissimmee..getting off at kissimmee is closer to disney than getting off at Orlando...I too will probably never take the train again...On the way down, we got stuck in NC and SC for about 45 min each state and again in Jacksonville for about 3 hours (some kind of virus got into their computer system), the ac unit on our car (the last car) was broken so it could either stay on or off...no medium - so although it was August--we froze (make sure you take your own blanket just in case)...and the icing on the cake was the bathroom ---because we had such long delays --the bathroom was overflowing and stunk
    The return trip home --- well I was better prepared, brought our own food and drink - some new magazines and blankets. This time we didn't have too many long delays on the tracks - the train was already 2 hours late when it arrived in Kissimmee to pick us up...
    On the positive side, it was a really cheap way to travel...for a family of 5 (me-40, dh46, dd17, ds14 and ds7) just under $350 for a roundtrip from Wilm., DE to Kissimmee, FL...We rented a car from Hertz in Kissimmee airport and all we had to do is call them when our train arrived in Kissimmee and they were right there 10 minutes later to pick us up...
    If I ever did it again it would be with a sleeper car - you have privacy and your own bathroom---but I think it's much more expensive with a sleeper car than it is to fly - so I'm flying...I too, am really sorry to be so negative - but I just remember how bad I just wanted to get off that train...
    I hope they have a really good trip - maybe things have changed plus they'll have a sleeper car too...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Land cruise

We took the train to WDW, particularly the DC to Kissimmee part which is what's relevant to your question. We had in the past gotten off in Orlando and the two times we took the train to WDW, we got off in Kissimmee. Less busy altho it's not a lot closer.

The train will most likely be late.

Since your parents have a sleeper, they should have a fairly comfortable trip. It is odd sleeping while the train is going around curves, tho. If they have the larger sleeper, the bottom bunk will be wider than the top bunk.

We had two large (connecting) sleepers and a smaller sleeper. The large ones have an enclosed bathroom and they also have a small tv which may not work well for your parents. Our grandkids wound up not watching it at all.

Meals are included in the sleeper price but I'd bring some snacks along. There is a snack bar but of course the prices aren't cheap. I bring a water bottle and we like nuts, raisins, that sort of thing.

There are car attendants that are supposed to be helpful in directing folks to the dining car, etc. The car attendant is the one that makes up the beds at night and puts them away in the morning.

One trip we had to have vouchers for the meals in the dining car. I don't know if they still do that. There was some confusion among our group about the vouchers. I think because we were so many, getting on so late, that there weren't enough vouchers that night. Hopefully this won't be the case with your parents.

Walking on the train while it's moving can be problematic. Most people do place their hands on the tops of the seats as they move along the cars to steady themselves. The train movement might be rough one minute and smooth the next. It's okay to pause to wait for a smoother stretch. It's better to walk with one's feet further apart.

I usually dress in layers, a short sleeve top with a sweater. Sometimes the car is very chilly and on another trip, the car may be very warm. I also bring a small lap type blanket, in case the car is cold. If it's not cold, the folded blanket makes an armrest more comfortable.

Bring books, playing cards, crossword puzzles. Whatever your parents generally like to do. They can probably check their bags. But they'd want to keep medications with them in a smaller overnight bag.

You can probably check with Amtrak as to whether the bags will be switched for your parents. We've usually had it that way. Once we were told we'd have to get them ourselves to be sure they'd make the next train, but they'd already been moved over.

When we last traveled from DC to Kissimmee with a sleeper, we were allowed to use the sleeper waiting room, while waiting for the next train. Can't recall what the name of it is. More comfortable chairs, some complimentary snacks, quieter. Perhaps New York has this as well.

We have usually enjoyed our Amtrak trips, tho there is usually something wrong every trip. Like the trip we hit an alligator and then a few hours later a burned out car some kids had left. We were 5 hours late to WDW on that trip. Or the trip to New Mexico in a blizzard at Thanksgiving that was 12 hours late, but we all got a free steak dinner and we weren't trying to sleep on an airport floor. There have been trips that everything has worked right and we've even been on time. We think of it as a land cruise and try to relax and go with the flow - which may be easier when you don't have kids eager to get to WDW.

Hope your parents' trip is mostly enjoyable.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Jan- Thanks for the great response. The information you provided me will help my parents out a lot. Hopefully things will go relatively smoothly for them and this will be the first of many trips they'll be taking down to Florida with us.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: