Quantcast What is your favorite $$ saving tip?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We are always looking for great ideas to save some $$ on our Disney trips. What are your favorite ways to cut monetary corners?

I'll share mine....

We go to the outlets the day we check in (time permitting) and do our souviner shopping. We also stop on our last day or on our way home to pick up the stuff that we didn't buy and changed our mind about!!! Many things at the parks are found at the outlets in different colors or are very similar. We love this part of our trip!!!

We also purchase 1 meal and 1 appetizer and split it.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Eat breakfast in your room. Not only a time-saver, all family members can eat at their own pace. We bring granola bars, cereal bars, breakfast cakes, etc . . . we do however sign up for a character breakfast. The money we save not having a huge and expensive breakfast allows us to eat more table service & to buy more souvenirs.
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We do a big breakfast and a late lunch. We find lunch rates are cheaper than dinner rates. In the evening we do a desert. My son loves this - he thinks it's great to eat ice cream for "dinner". [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img]

We limit our purchases to just one thing per adult and our son uses his spending money on his own stuff. This year we want new Bass mugs from England (Epcot) for us. We'll buy a thank you gift for my in-laws for cat/house watching. That's it.

We tend to save at home - putting the money aside - skipping dinners out and not buying morning coffee for months so that we can splurge on vacation. I figure that we we can relax a bit and not worry.

52 days [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] Can you say "excited"???
    It's JUNE!!!<br /><br />Is it Saturday yet???

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by nell:
    We do a big breakfast and a late lunch. We find lunch rates are cheaper than dinner rates. In the evening we do a desert. My son loves this - he thinks it's great to eat ice cream for "dinner". [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img]

This is what I do too! We have a good sized breakfast in the room, and then get the last PS at one of the sit-down places in the parks for lunch. That way we can just have a snack later in the day when we get hungry. Lunch is less expensive, and you can get much of the same selection!

We also belong to AAA. While the discount on rooms isn't huge, it has been all we have been able to get the last 2 trips, and it has saved us enough to be able to stay a bit longer!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

We definately bring groceries. eat breakfast in the room (cereal, pop tarts, etc.) and it saves time as someone said. I also make sandwiches and pack snacks for the day. we still may buy a snack. Then for dinner we got out.

Post Thanks / Like

Much as the breakfast in the room - I purchase snacks for the rooms as well.

Mostly things like, goldfish, apples, pringles, snack packs (things that wont get smooshed in my luggage) Some I buy at the grocery stop on the way to the hotel, and others I pack.

This is a great thing - when we are in the room late evening and the kids want a snack. Definately a $$ saver.

We also only allow 2 snacks per person per day in the parks. 1 morning snack, and 1 afternoon snack. It definately gets expensive we find we could snack all day long.. and that gets expensive: pretzel, ice cream, slush, fried dough thing (beaver tail..? is that what its called)... but - the kids know - only 2. So, they choose wisely. It works for us anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

1. dont buy breakfast
    2. Stay in a moderate resort.
    3. Don't waste money on impulse souveniers

Post Thanks / Like

Dont waste a whole day's park ticket on your arrival and departure dates, unless youre arriving really early or departing really late. We can find enough to do at WDW without going into the parks every single day, and it saves a lot. I spend the first day exploring the resorts and enjoying our own hotel's amenities, and spend the last day at DTD. This also works well because DTD carries almost every item you may have seen over the course of the trip, and you know exactly what items you really want, how much space is left in the luggage, and how much you have left to spend.
    I'm finally going back! Next trip: July 16-22, 2006!

Post Thanks / Like

We give the kids Disney Dollars prior to our trip so that they can buy anything they want with them. When their money is gone, it's gone... We found that it saves on those impulse/emotional purchases! (And you would be surprised how thrifty they are when they buy something with their own money.)
    Poly 3/97, Poly 1/98, Poly 2/99, Poly 2/00, Poly 9/03,
    POR & Poly 9/05, POR & Poly 9/06
    , Poly 9/07
    Poly 9/08, POR & Poly 8/10, POR & Poly 8/13, Heading back POR & Poly Concierge 8/15

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard about this but have not actually done it yet...

Schedule lunch at buffets (if that is your thing) late and you will pay the lunch price but they will change over the buffet at the alotted time and if planned correctly, you can get the dinner menu also with your lunch prices/choices.

If anyone has done this or does try this please post on how it has worked for you.
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Buy a case of water off site

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Split meals/appetizers - portions can be huge!

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Keep snacks in the room, fruit, granola bars, etc

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Have breakfast in the room

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Take laundry soap with you or buy it off-site
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take your wife.

Just kidding!!!!

1973 - Off Site
    1979 - Contemporary Resort
    1983- Off Site
    7/1994 - Port Orleans
    6/2003 - Off Site
    3/2005 - Coronado Springs Resort (5 Nights)
    April/May 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (8 Nights)
    Nov/Dec. 2007- Boardwalk (7 Nights)
    Next Trip: Nov/Dec 2010-Yacht Club (6 Nights)

Post Thanks / Like

[img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Paula [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We do a lot of the things people have already mentioned (being a couple of 2 teachers, who only get to go every 3 years or so):

*breakfast in the room (except for maybe one character breakfast)

*byow (water)
    *Limit souveinirs (sp?) for kids to just one "big" one and maybe a t-shirt. As my kids get older, we will probably do the Disney dollars, but mine are too little to get that, yet.

*we save loose change for the years before we go, and Katie and I roll it to use for spending money.

*we bring snack foods, too, but always seems to break down and buy that Mickey ice cream bar or an Itzakadoozie (which we can't buy here!)

*we usually stay at a value resort, or maybe a moderate at most. One day my dream is to stay at the Polynesian for a whole week! Maybe for our anniversary!
    Missy
    #1 LSU fan 2003 AND 2007 National Champions!

POR Feb 1997
    ASMo Dec 1999
    POR Feb 2002
    ASMovies Feb 2004
    Pop Century May 2004
    ASMovies Feb 2006
    Offsite Jan 2007
    May 2008 Swan
    May 2011 on the Dream!
    BLT July 2013
    POFQ July 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by pedro2112:
    Don't take your wife.

Just kidding!!!!

[img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]
    You sound like my DH!!
    [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]
    Sarah
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are,when you wish upon a star your dreams, come TRUE"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We drive so we bring two 24 count packs of bottled water that I have gotten on sale at home! We also bring snacks like prepackaged individual bags of teddy grahams, ritz bits ,fruit snacks,etc. for when the kids want a quick snack!
    March 1973 Contemporary<br />April 1980 Contemporary <br />June 1989 Royal Plaza <br />March 2002 Contemporary<br />Dec. 2002 Contemporary<br />June 2003 Contemporary<br />Dec. 2003 BCV<br />April 2004 Beach Club/BCV<br />June 2004 Grand Floridian<br />Aug. 2004 Hilton Head<br />Oct. 2004 Grand Floridian<br />March 2005 Grand Floridian <br />June 2005 Grand Floridian<br />July 2005 Hilton Head<br />Dec. 2005 Grand Floridian<br />Sept. 2005 Poly LV Concierge<br />Dec. 2005 Grand Floridian RPC

Post Thanks / Like

If you live in Canada, but live close to the border, book your flight from the closest US airport, your tickets will be almost half the price. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    VMK ID: Punchcat

Post Thanks / Like

The big breakfast in your room is great as well as a late lunch. We try to budget $50 per day per person so $200 a day for food. LOTS of times it is less so there is more $$ for souviners or in my case golf!! LOL.. It takes a few months for us to get the $$ in an account so we will not spend it before we get to WDW.
    J
    3/01 1st trip -Off site with 100 kids
    Over 20 trips since 3/01
    Lot's of fun and great family memories..

Going to be there in June 08.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take your husband!! [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]
    I've actually done this several times!!! [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Bring your own water and soda into the parks. This will save you lots of money! As long as it isn't in glass containers, you won't have any problems. You can ask for cups of ice for free too!
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: