Quantcast Mears or Taxi (or something else)?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

My son and his mom are flying to WDW Friday morning and returning Monday evening. They will not rent a car, so need transportation to All-Star Music. For two, which is most cost effective AND convenient (that is, which provides the best mix of price and convenience), Mears or a taxi? Or, is there another service other than these two that is best? If you have prices to All-Star Music, that would be useful. I looked at Intercot's page on transportation, which helped; but it wasn't specific to All-Star. Thanks.
    2014: BC; 2013: CS; 2012: POR, Dolphin; 2011: Hilton, Dolphin; 2010: POFQ, CSR; 2009: POFQ; 2008: HoJo DL, Royal Plaza; 2007: Saratoga; 2006: POP, BV, CSR; 2005: AS-Mu, Off-site, POFQ; 2004: POFQ, AS-Mo; 2003: CSR, AS-Mo, Royal Plaza; 2002: AS-Mu; AS-Mu, CBR, Off-site; 2001: WL; 2000: Landings/Magic

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Portland, ME (1421 miles from the Magic!!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I think which one you choose for them will depend on what they need to do. We used Mears our last trip and found it to be fine and it's less exspensive for only two. You do have to wait at the airport and then travel to other resort drop-offs. Still, it didn't take that long, and we find the price is worth the minor inconvienience. But, if they need to stop at a grocery store, or don't want to wait for multiple stops, then I'd say take the taxi. People on this site also rave about Happy Limo... though we've never tried them since they don't seem to be economical for a small party. Hope this helped!
    "Veggie, veggie! Fruit, fruit!"
    Next Trip: April 2013 - POP
    Previous Trips: 11/12 – ASMu; 8/12 – ASMu; 2/12 - CSR; 12/08; 9/08; 5/08; 2/08 - POFQ; ‘06; ‘05; ’04- ASMu; ‘02-Offsite; ‘01-ASMo; ‘00; ‘99; ‘97-SOG; ‘96-FW Cabin; ‘94-CBR; ‘92-CBR; ‘90-CBR; ‘88-Poly; ‘86-Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

it boils down to convience or cost. The best I can find (and if I am miss quoting prices please forgive me) is Mears will cost either 46 or 54 (depending on how old your son is) for the two of them, I am assuming that is round trip, however with Mears you may have to wait at the airport, plus may have multiple resort stops before they get to theres. A cab will cost them 35-40 each way, but there will be no wait, and they can stop where ever they want. Happy Limo will cost 95 round trip (100 less $5 intercot discount) plus tip, but they will have no waiting time (major convience) and they will stop at a store on the way if wanted! I used Happy Limo on my last trip (with a family of 4 the money diffrence was almost nothing) and I found them to be wonderful! I know I will be using them again when I go! For me it is more cost effective! Also when you think of the money you are saving by not renting a car, I opt. for convience! Again it boils down to cost or convience (unfortunatlly I am not the most patient person in the world) Good luck and I wish them a great vacation!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have info specific to the all stars, but last Dec. my 2 aunts took a cab from the airport to CBR and it was $60 without the tip. It was nice to get there more quickly, but it cost them a near fortune!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Because my hubby had to back out at the last minute, my son (who had just turned 4) and I went alone. It was February 2002 and we stayed at ASMu. We arrived early in the morning and took Mears to the hotel. It was not bad. We did wait a little while to get onto a bus but it was not full. We stopped at 3 other non-Disney hotels on the way and it was actually neat to see them (we usually do not venture off of Disney property!) and the total trip did not take more than 45 mionutes. My son actually really enjoyed seeing everything and the anticipation on the way! However, we had a very early flight out so we opted for a taxi back to the airport. It cost $50.00 plus tip. Mears would have needed to pick us up at some ungodly hour (we were catching a 5am or 6am flight, i forget??). This was a difficult trip at times but it is one of my favorites!
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

we always use Mears everytime we are there. We get picked up at the airport then taken to the hotel and back to the airport when we leave.. We even use them when we go over to Sea World.

Post Thanks / Like

We always use Mears when it is only a couple of us traveling. With a large group (4 or 5) it's worth using a limo service like Happy Limo. Since they are arriving Friday morning, I wouldn't think it would be too long of a wait for Mears. If it were a Saturday afternoon, now that can be a different story. It took my aunt and uncle almost 2 hours to get to CB last December using Mears.

I figure the less money I spend getting to WDW, the more I can spend on Dole Whips!!! [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img]
    Elaine
    "I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food."

Next trip: February 2019 for the Princess 5K/10K/HALF MARATHON (YES, I'M RUNNING THEM ALL!)
    Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
    2014: BC; 2013: CS; 2012: POR, Dolphin; 2011: Hilton, Dolphin; 2010: POFQ, CSR; 2009: POFQ; 2008: HoJo DL, Royal Plaza; 2007: Saratoga; 2006: POP, BV, CSR; 2005: AS-Mu, Off-site, POFQ; 2004: POFQ, AS-Mo; 2003: CSR, AS-Mo, Royal Plaza; 2002: AS-Mu; AS-Mu, CBR, Off-site; 2001: WL; 2000: Landings/Magic

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to chime in on Mears. I've used them a number of times and while I found them pretty good overall, like the others I wasn't crazy about the wait. Well this past March I was very pleasantly surprised at how short my wait was - I don't think I even waited 10 minutes! And I've heard good stories from some others as well. Maybe a nice fluke, but maybe they've been making some improvements?
    Munch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.
    Abraham Lincoln
    (1809 - 1865)

Post Thanks / Like

They decided to go with Mears and said it was a good experience. It didn't take long to get to their resort (All-Star Music). Also, they said the bus they were on said "Disney's Magical Express" on it. I thought that was interesting. They said it was a very nice bus.

Post Thanks / Like

We have used Mears & the cost is less but you do sacrafice convenience. We had to wait almost 45 -1hr. before we left the airport and we were the 3rd or 4th stop. Same when we had to leave, we were takeing a tour of a few other hotels before we headed out to the airport. You also have to keep an eye to make sure you luggage does not leave before you get to your stop most luggage looks so similar. The last few times we received a ride from a town car service in Orlando that cost $90 RT plus tip and they will take you to a store at no extra cost for up to 30 mins if you let them know when you book, to pick up any items you may want like water, soda, chips, etc. without the disney price. Drop a personal message if you'd like to know that company.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I am leaving for my 2nd trip to WDW in 7 days. The first time we used Tiffany Towncar Service and we were so plesed with them that we will be using them again. They meet you at the bottom of the escalator on your way to get your luggage with a sign with your name on it. You get a free stop at the grocery store on your way to the resort. Their phone number is 1-888-838-2161. They also have a web site where you can print out a $5 off coupon if you make your reservation online. (Tiffanytowncar.com) Our driver was sooo nice to us. Highly recommended!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by BhamWriter:
    My son and his mom are flying to WDW Friday morning and returning Monday evening.
    For a short trip such as this, I would opt for a towncar service. Dh and I stayed at AKL for 4 days last fall -- flew in on a Saturday morning and returned home Tuesday evening. We shopped around and ended up using Prestige for around $65 with the on-line discount. Our driver was waiting for us downstairs. He helped us collect our luggage and took us across the bus/taxi area to a very, very close parking lot to our brand new towncar. We were at AKL within 30 minutes!! Return service was just as good.
    Squeaky Mouse

Too Many Trips to List (PAP holders)

Upcoming:
    Spring Break -- POP
    May -- AKL ???

Post Thanks / Like

I would HIGHLY recommend using a town car service. We have used Happy Limo in the past and will be using them again May 2 for our next trip. I have used Mears in the past and we lost valuable "Mickey time" waiting for everyone to load up, pick up more at other terminals, drop everyone off at their resort, get their bags unloaded...etc.

And then on going back to the airport, our flight didn't leave until about 3:30pm and Mears picked us up at 9:30am! We will never use Mears again.

Skip buying ONE or TWO t-shirts or mugs at Disneyworld and you will easily make up the difference of getting the town car! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

They used Mears . . . and now I regret it. The trip to the resort wasn't bad when they arrived, but their return flight was around 3:00 this afternoon (they're at the airport now) and they had to be at the resort at noon (three full hours ahead of the flight) in order to be picked up. They were on the bus for quite awhile before they ever got to the airport. Because of having to be at the resort for Mears, they definitely lost valuable time on their last day at WDW. They went to Epcot hoping to ride Soarin', but it was broken down this morning; they didn't have time to wait for their FastPASS (if it was up and running by then) because of Mears, and they didn't have time to go anywhere else (such as Downtown Disney), again, because of Mears. Mears saved them some money, but negatively impacted their last day.

[ April 25, 2005, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: BhamWriter ]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by BhamWriter:
    They used Mears . . . and now I regret it. The trip to the resort wasn't bad when they arrived, but their return flight was around 3:00 this afternoon (they're at the airport now) and they had to be at the resort at noon (three full hours ahead of the flight) in order to be picked up. They were on the bus for quite awhile before they ever got to the airport. Because of having to be at the resort for Mears, they definitely lost valuable time on their last day at WDW. They went to Epcot hoping to ride Soarin', but it was broken down this morning; they didn't have time to wait for their FastPASS (if it was up and running by then) because of Mears, and they didn't have time to go anywhere else (such as Downtown Disney), again, because of Mears. Mears saved them some money, but negatively impacted their last day.
    While I realize that Mears is the least favorite way to travel of anyone on Intercot I had to respond to your post.
    It has been Mears' policy to allow one hour of travel time when picking up guests from the resort. Because this is a shuttle service, we all know there are multiple stops. In light of the heightened security at the airport, the arrival time has been changed from an hour prior to flight to an hour and a half to two hours. A town car would have given them another hour to hour and a half at the park, I figure. That still doesn't guarantee that Soarin' would have been up and running.
    I can understand your frustration and aggravation but I hardly think that Mears is to blame in this case. I've worked for Mears for 11+ years and for the most part keep my comments to myself because I do agree that our shuttle service is not for everyone.
    With that said, I sincerely hope that this incident did not spoil the fun I know they had while at WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Piglet822:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BhamWriter:
    While I realize that Mears is the least favorite way to travel of anyone on Intercot I had to respond to your post.
    It has been Mears' policy to allow one hour of travel time when picking up guests from the resort. Because this is a shuttle service, we all know there are multiple stops. In light of the heightened security at the airport, the arrival time has been changed from an hour prior to flight to an hour and a half to two hours. A town car would have given them another hour to hour and a half at the park, I figure. That still doesn't guarantee that Soarin' would have been up and running.
    I can understand your frustration and aggravation but I hardly think that Mears is to blame in this case. I've worked for Mears for 11+ years and for the most part keep my comments to myself because I do agree that our shuttle service is not for everyone.
    With that said, I sincerely hope that this incident did not spoil the fun I know they had while at WDW.
    </font>[/QUOTE]They still had a wonderful trip to WDW. I've used Mears before as well, and the service I had was fine. In this particular instance, using the Mears service was not the best because of the time constraints. On another trip, those constraints would not be an issue. Using Mears also cost less than other options, so it is understandable that the service is not tailored to specific needs. Still, having to be ready three hours ahead of one's flight is a factor that must be considered in choosing transportation to and from the airport (just as cost is an issue in Mears' favor). To my knowledge, Mears has an excellent reputation for the services it provides.

Post Thanks / Like

TSA recommends travelers arrive and check in 1.5-2 hours ahead of their posted flight time.
    Travel to MCO is at least 30-45 minutes.
    If you are using Mears, you also have to allow for other guests to be picked up.

I do not feel this was an unreasonable time to be picked up. On the contrary, I would have expected much more from a shuttle that has multiple stops to make. Maybe even 4 hours- I have heard of 5+!
    We use a towncar service and expect to be picked up 2.5-3 hours before our flight- and that has been our experience every time.
    Even if we rent a car (rare, but it happens) we leave the property about 2.5-3 hours before our flight.

I would not blame Mears for not being able to ride Soarin that day. It is unfortunate that the ride was down and they did not get to go on. But as you even said- even if they could have waited (what, maybe another 30 minutes) it may not have been up by then anyway.

Anyone using ANY transportation to the airport- Mears, a towncar service or returning a rental car- should be prepared to leave WDW in plenty of time to check in at the airport 1.5-2 hours early.
    I hate waiting at the airport too, but those are the rules we must live by now.
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

I did not blame Mears for them not seeing Soarin'. I was merely indicating that the three-hour period is part of what one must consider when deciding the best means of meeting transportation needs. Mears goes to several resorts, whereas a taxi would not. Mears has a specific policy of when to pick up guests, whereas a taxi does not. I am not arguing in favor of taxis: they are more expensive than Mears. There are several factors to consider. For my son and his mom today, Mears was probably not the best alternative. That does not mean it would not be good for another trip, as it was for me a few years ago.

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

Even a towncar will ask you to allow 30 minutes for transport to the airport...so if it's recommended that you arrive at the airport 2 hours ahead of time....so Mears takes up 30 minutes more. I really don't think that's too much to expect, in fact even when we use a towncar I insist on being picked up 3 hours a head of time.

For me...it's a matter of personal service, not the time involved.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: