Quantcast Possibly Downsizing Vacation...HELP!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We have booked Poly Garden Concierge for Sept. Due to work related issues, we may have to downsize our vacation.

We are going for our 10 year anniversary, and to celebrate my DH homecoming without DS and DD. Should I downsize, or bite the bullet and keep our reservations? If we should downsize, do we stay at Poly, or choose another resort? We don't want to stay too far away from the MK.

I honestly have no clue what to do...any help would be wonderful!
    Kellie
    Kellie

Sept 03- Contemporary (Pre-Deployment)
    May 04- Aug 05- OEF Deployment
    Sept 05- Poly (NO KIDS!!)
    Sept 07- POFQ (Free Dining!!)
    Nov 07- SOG (Solo Shopping Trip)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Kelli, if you are talking about downsizing due to financial reasons, I would figure out what you can afford versus possibly overspending and landing into debt. That would definitely not be a nice anniversary present to yourselves.

You can have a nice 10-year anniversary trip even if you don't stay at a Deluxe. Make a budget, figure out what is realistic & go from there. Besides, it's no fun having to worry about every dollar you are spending at Disney, and staying at a moderate may help in that regard.

If you are talking about downsizing for another reason, let us know so we can help you in your dilemma! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Note that for our ten year anniversary, all we could afford was All Star Movies. The trip was still just as special, maybe without all the frills of our recent trips but still great. I remember we brought candles & champagne and really enjoyed ourselves! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ April 19, 2005, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: KylesMom ]
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by downsizing? Fewer days? A less expensive resort?

Post Thanks / Like

I understand your situation as I'm having buyer's remorse in some ways for staying concierge at the Poly this week. We are typically a moderate/value resort family - rarely anything over $150/night. Anyway, only you can truly know if you can swing it or not. My favorite moderate if you are downsizing that much is by far POR. You could still stay Poly in a standard garden view room and that could save you some $$$ as well. The Wilderness Lodge is close to MK - that will be your cheapest MK resort option, and it is still deluxe. Is it possible to get a discount of some sort like AP or AAA? That could help swing your decision.

Good luck deciding!
    *Shannon
    Stayed at: *ASMu *ASSp *POR *POP *CBR *CSR *WDW Dolphin *CR *AKL *Poly GVC & LVC *BWI

WDWCP Alumni
    Fall Advantage 2002
    Attractions Hostess-Wonders of Life-Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

I say keep the res.!!! $$ comes and goes. you have lots of time and you can work it out by September if this is your one big thing this year. Congrats on the big 10!!! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

Lots of luck, [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Andybob
    AB

Oct 2004 - Pop Century
    Jun 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter & Beach Club
    Sep 2005 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with deciding exactly how much money you want to spend on your vacation and working from there. Include your food budget and park passes, too.

I personally would rather stay at a value or moderate and eat a couple of wonderfully romantic meals, than stay over my budget at the Poly and have to eat hot dogs all vacation.

And no vacation is worth going into debt over. You will regret that decision for months (years, maybe) to come!
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Wendy*Darling, you could always stay at POR and then splurge on extra dinners or maybe even massages for two at GF.
    Oct 86, off property - Feb 92, off property
    Nov 94, All Star Sports - Dec 95, off property
    Dec 98, CBR - Dec 99, PO
    Dec 00, All Star Movies - Oct 01,All Star Movies
    Nov 01, All Star Music - April 02, All Star Music
    Dec 02, POR - Feb 03, POFQ - Nov 03, AKL
    April 04, POP - Dec 04, ASMu - Nov 05, POP
    Dec 05, POR

Post Thanks / Like

Hi-

I would recommend looking into The Wilderness Lodge. It is a Magic Kingdom resort but not on the monorail so it is much cheaper. I believe a non-concierge room at the Wilderness Lodge will save you over $250 a night from a concierge room at the Polynesian. And, then, maybe you can use some of the extra money on a few special dinners.

We have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge several times and found it to be very romatic. I love the hot tubs, the geysers and the romantic hidden fire places on the 4th and 5th floor. And, you can still see the eletrical parade every time.

Good luck deciding and Congratulations!

Kristen
    Contemporary 10/82
    Polynesian 12/89
    Off-Site 2/02
    Port Orleans Riverside 5/02
    WL 2/03
    WL Concierge 10/03
    AKL 10/04
    WL 11/05
    WL Concierge 12/07
    WL- 11/08

Next trips
    WL - 11/11

Post Thanks / Like

We have the vacation almost paid for, and we have included the Dining Package so that we are guaranteed that we won't starve or anything.

Work is laying off, and I am afraid that I could be one of the unlucky...chances are slim, but still looking at ways to cut costs just in case that happens.

Hubby is stationed in Afghanistan, and he says absolutely NO WAY are we changing anything...he has waited 18 months to have me alone, and he's not giving that up! What a man! [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks for your replies!

Kellie [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    Kellie

Sept 03- Contemporary (Pre-Deployment)
    May 04- Aug 05- OEF Deployment
    Sept 05- Poly (NO KIDS!!)
    Sept 07- POFQ (Free Dining!!)
    Nov 07- SOG (Solo Shopping Trip)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Goodness, if it's paid for . . . YOU GO GIRL! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

You are one lucky lady!

Post Thanks / Like

o.k. my opinion (for what it's worth [img]smile.gif[/img] ) If I understand you correctly, your husband has been stationed abroad for 18 months, you are home trying to maintain a "normal" life, working, raising your kids, stressing about job cuts and in you spare time (like you have any ) I am sure worrying about him! Your hotel, food, and park tickets are almost paid for, there is only one thing to do GO FOR IT !! I can't think of anyone who deserves to get lost in the magic (and each other) more than you and your husband! This is 2005, no matter what happens, chances are there is always going to be some sort of financial stress But now when things get crazy you will be able to remember the wonderful homecoming/10th anniversary you and your husband shared and smile ! Go and enjoy, you both deserve it!! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

I take back everything I said in my previous post. Go to the Poly and enjoy it! You (and your hubby) definitely deserve it!

*Shannon
    Stayed at: *ASMu *ASSp *POR *POP *CBR *CSR *WDW Dolphin *CR *AKL *Poly GVC & LVC *BWI

WDWCP Alumni
    Fall Advantage 2002
    Attractions Hostess-Wonders of Life-Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

My advice was going to be to go to the Poly but don't go concierge - changed my mind after your last post - go for it and have a great time!!!! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    CSR - Sept 2005 - POLY - Jan 2003
    DL - Jan 2000 - CSR - May 1999
    PO - April 1997 - CBR - Dec 1995
    Disney Villas - 1988 - Off-site - 1978

Post Thanks / Like

You and your husband deserve it! Go, spend the money, and have a great time!!!! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Stacy
    Up Next: May4-9 Yacht Club for my BIRTHDAY!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Take me with you guys!!!
    1973 - Off Site
    1979 - Contemporary Resort
    1983- Off Site
    7/1994 - Port Orleans
    6/2003 - Off Site
    3/2005 - Coronado Springs Resort (5 Nights)
    April/May 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (8 Nights)
    Nov/Dec. 2007- Boardwalk (7 Nights)
    Next Trip: Nov/Dec 2010-Yacht Club (6 Nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think you are in a tough situation. First off all you have concerns about being laid off. Second, your DH has not been home in 18 months. Third it is almost paid for.

If you are going to worry so much about the amount you spend on this trip that it can ruin your anniversary vacation, I say talk with someone at MJ. Let them tell you what options you have. Just talking may help you to see you need to keep this ressie or change to a nice deluxe that is a little cheaper.

I have been in your position and it is troublesome. My job is a yearly renewal. I never know until April of each year whether or not I will have a job come August. It is hard to plan a vacation where you are dropping a lot of $$$ and you do not know if you will even have a job in a few months. Then add on that your DH is out of the country....BIG decisions.

Good Luck with whatever you decided and Happy Anniversary!!

Post Thanks / Like

I say go for it! I can totally sympathize as the company I work for was sold 2 weeks after we booked our 10 day land/cruise vacation for December. Supposedly my job is safe, but who really knows what the future holds. Everything will work out fine. Happy almost anniversary.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you get to keep your Poly concierge reservation!

But if you don't, may I suggest the Contemporary garden wing or the Wilderness Lodge. Both at the MK but for less money. I'm a big fan of the Contemporary.
    fiesta margarita is good for the belly
    22 trips to disney world and 2 trips to disneyland since 1986
    disney world annual passholder since 1993

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

i'd say see what the $$ difference would be staying at Poly but not concierge ... if you are having the Dining plan, you may not want to avail yourself of all the breakfast, dinner, desert stuff they have at Concierge .. one of the main reasons to go there, imho.

Saving a little money may make you feel a little less guilty about still staying at a Deluxe, but you certainly have reasons to celebrate! Congratulations to you both!
    ~~Barb~~
    AKL Jambo House - 3/31/12 - 4/8/12
    BWV - 10/07
    BCV - 11/30 - 12/10/04
    BCV - 12/03 (Christmas at WDW)
    Contemp - 10/98
    Contemp - 12/97

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: