Quantcast Tips for convincing my wife

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife, DD (4), and I are going to Disney at the end of July. We have decided to drive from North Carolina to Florida (about 10 hours) to save money but I am having the hardest time convincing her that we should take our Toyota Corolla which gets 39 miles to the gallon over her minivan which gets 17 miles to the gallon. She says she won't be comfortable enough. I don't agree with that because my car seems more comfortable than hers. Sorry, I just needed to vent. Any suggestions?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would work up an estimated fuel cost using both vehicles. Show her that the added expense could be used for some extras, like a nice dinner or souveniors.

Plus, I would much rather take a sedan than a mini van, you are right, they are MUCH more comfortable. There may be less room to pack stuff, but with three of you, space shouldn't be a problem. Take your car!
    Cyndi
    aka Maia and Lindsay's Mom

Up next: Caribbean Beach, December 2014

Post Thanks / Like

If your house is anything like our house, then the rule of thumb is if I am unhappy (with me beig the wife) then everyone else is unhappy too. Yes, it will cost you an extra $50 or $75 or so, but is it really worth fighting about?
    WeLuvBuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you could put 1200 miles on your car. Which car is more reliable? Don't want to be burdened with car trouble. The additional cost of gas is not more than $100. How much is $100 dollars worth. Think of all the added goodies you can bring in the van. Stroller, cooler, snacks, toaster, water, 12 pairs of shoes, kitchen sink, etc. Or think about saving $100 and getting an extra nice dinner in exchange for hearing about how uncomfortable your car is and how you should have brought the van.

If reliability is not a problem, I'd go with the van to keep peace in the family.
    "Everybody wants to be a Cat"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I am going to have to side with the wife on this one. If she is used to driving the minivan then she knows what she is talking about. You are used to being in your car,probably alone, for your commute to and from work. She is in her van for work,errands,and having your DD in the back.I can see why it would be better for her to take the minivan. I know gas is at a premium right now,I just returned from a trip to Ohio from FLA...14 hours one way. I spent about $175.00 for gas the whole trip and I have a GMC Yukon XL, 15 miles a gallon! If your DD and wife are comfortable, everyone will have a good time.Use the extra space to take some extra snacks and drinks that you can eat/drink in the hotel to save on the trip to offset the gas price.Maybe eat breakfast in the room before you head off to the park. It saves time and money- the two biggies at WDW. And you know what they say...If Mommy is happy, EVERYBODY is happy!!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by tlpowell35:
    Sorry but I am going to have to side with the wife on this one. You are used to being in your car,probably alone, for your commute to and from work. She is in her van for work,errands,and having your DD in the back.
    Now that's not a generalization at all. I transport my kids as much as she does. I also clean the house, mow the grass, cook supper, feed the baby, and coach DD's soccer team before mommy even gets home from work.

I am obviously tighter with money than she is but I have never understood the concept of "if momma ain't happy then nobody's happy." What about the dad's opinions. Speak up for Daddy power!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]

BTW, both cars equally reliable. Minivan is only two months old. She hasn't gotten over the newness factor yet.

[ April 11, 2005, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: rain ]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that when my wife isn't happy, NO ONE is happy! 10 hours in a car with a complaining wife <shudder>. Oh my! Another 10 hours coming home <SHUDDER>!

If I was in this situation with my wife (and every person is different) I would give in on this but get her to agree she "owes me". Then at Disney she will have to do something she may not really want to.

Gusgus

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry didn't mean to offend about the importance of Mommies being happy.I just know how it is in my household...and all my friends households...Okay,so maybe we are spoiled Moms.All I know is my husband doesn't cook,clean or do laundry.And I would prefer to take a bigger vehicle if I were traveling. New or not, there is more room to stretch out in the back if necessary. Either way, have a good trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Also have to agree with the wife on this one.

You're talking maybe $75 more in gas. Assuming you're going for a week that's about $10 a day more.

Another thing in the mini-vans favor is storage space. How much luggage are you bringing? Are you going to have to cram stuff into the Toyota?

On the other hand, if your budget is very tight, you could possible sell her by saying that the $75 in gas you'll be saving can be used to splurge on something. A meal or a tour, perhaps.
    2012 - AoA
    2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1997, 1986, 1985, 1974, 1973
    When you're a little kid you're a bit of everything; Scientist, Philosopher, Artist. Sometimes it seems like growing up is giving these things up one at a time. - The Wonder Years

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's part of our make-up. We know what we want, and why we want it... so there's no convincing us!

Good luck with taking that car... but I doubt it will happen

I would fly if I were you... it's win-win! You don't have to load all your wife's stuff in the van, she'll have to pack less, and you won't have to hear as much whining.... besides, if you are already spending extra money on gas (and undoubtedly many random pit stops), it might work out comparably.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I gotta agree on the Mini Van also. I have one and its what we always take on our drive to disney from New Jersey. About 15 hours. Although I have three children so my situation is different. My hubby wanted to take his Durango this year but no way thats happening. Drives too much like a truck and leather seats in July for 15 hours...NOT gonna happen [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I like the Mini Van because there is tons of room for the boys to spread out and recline seats and be comfy so there is no complaining although we've been doing this for 11 years so they are used to it. I must say before we had the Mini Van we did drive in a reg car and even my boys LOVED when we got the Mini Van...but only for long trips otherwise is just NOT cool to be in the van ( they are 16..14 and 11). Good luck on your dilema. I think the extra money it will cost just isnt worth the hassle unless the difference in costs will affect your vacation expenses.
    JMHO

Post Thanks / Like

We always drive to Disney from upstate SC so our trips take about 8-8.5hrs, traveling with 2 ds's 13 & 7. Our choice is between my Expedition or Dh's BMW and I have to tell you that the Expedition wins out everytime. I am also cost conscience about gas prices but I have to go with the comfort of the SUV over the crampness in the car. We took the car to PA last month and I thought I would die it was so cramped. As hard as it is for me to justify the gas expense I just have to take the Expedition.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to side with you on this one. We just went over spring break and drove from Charlotte with DW, DD(9) and DS(6). I drive a Scion XB!! We packed light because we could do wash in our room. We were all very comfortable and got just over 40 MPG. Plus you can fit in the small parking places when people park on the line or don't pull all the way in
    1970-1986 Two trips to MK every year<br />1998 Off Site<br />March 2005 Off Site<br />Next Trip - Not soon Enough<br /><br />Disappear! Disappear! Disappear!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by r5moores:
    and leather seats in July for 15 hours...NOT gonna happen [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Ah Ha...that's just what I needed. Her mini-van is leather and my car is not. I'll sweat all over her seats and I'm sure she doesn't want that. Thank you r5moores. [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

Hey Charlotte person...I'm from Hickory.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Are you driving during the day, or at night? If you do the overnight, your wife is right. Take the van, and stretch out. Your DD can sleep more easily laying down, as can the non-driving adult.

Also--don't forget the DVD player or VCR for DD. She'll be much more quiet with it.

If it's a big deal to your wife, and a money issue for you, take the van. It will gnaw at her the whole time you're driving, and that's not a great way to start a vacation. Actually, I can't think of a good reason to take the sedan other than the $75. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    "It's a girl! A girl? In the castle? She's the one...the one we have been waiting for!"

'74 Int'l Drive
    '83 FW
    '86 LBV
    '92 Offsite @ Christmas (never again!)
    '01 One day! :(
    '03 POFQ with my 2 DDs
    '08 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I also have to agree with your wife. If you are already saving money by driving vs. flying why not take the mini-van? It seems to me like taking the van would be more of a compromise. 10 hours with a 4 year old is a long drive, she will need room to stretch out and have all of the things you will need to keep her entertained. I would also think that you will need the extra space for luggage, food, and anything else that you are bringing. Good Luck (to both of you )

Lisa [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Ah Ha...that's just what I needed. Her mini-van is leather and my car is not. I'll sweat all over her seats and I'm sure she doesn't want that. Thank you
    I bet if I said this to my wife within an hour I would see seat covers coming out of the package from Walmart!

Gusgus

Post Thanks / Like

who is doing the driving for the trip? If you are driving then you should drive the car you are more comfortable driving. If she wants the minivan then make her drive. [img]graemlins/thedolls.gif[/img]

Can you tell I am only engaged and not quite married yet?

Post Thanks / Like

While we live many more hours from WDW and wouldn't drive, we are in a similar situation. We have a Mini-Van and a high MPG smaller car. On a ten hour trip we wouldn't even dream of taking the small car if it were more then just the two of us, AND we'd probably take the van for the two of us. I have to side with your wife.
    Honor the past, challenge the present, plan for the future. DVC Owner, WDW 16 trips, DL 5 trips.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I have to go with your DW on this one, especially since you are traveling with a 4-year old. It always amazes us that we can pack my Chevy extended van to the absolute GILLS when we embark on a trip to Disney World - minus the far back bench seat, we still have to organize really well to get everything to fit properly.

If our van didn't have so many miles on it (plus twice the drive from Illinois with gas $), we'd be driving again this year.

Hope you guys can settle this WAY before your trip! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

PS - Towels are good for leather seats! [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: