Quantcast Illuminations Cruise Smoke?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

I've got us booked for an Illuminations cruise in April. Since I booked it I've been reading that the smoke tends to drift toward International Gateway and funnel under the bridge where the boats park, no matter which way the wind is blowing. Has anyone ever experienced this and if so was it tolerable? I'd hate to subject my DGKs to that. I've been downwind of Illuminations once and it was barely tolerable; at times you couldn't see the Earth in the middle of the lagoon.
    Dan

1993-Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We did the Illuminations cruise for the first time this past December. We had absolutely no problems with smoke. In fact, it was the highlight of our trip. I don't think I've ever had a better seat. We usually view Illuminations from around the England area and I've always noticed the smoke going off to our left. That wouldn't put it anywhere near the pontoon boats. I imagine that wind direction does play a factor, but it definitely doesn't automatically drift to the boat dock area.

As an FYI, I'm not sure if you know that you can bring food & drinks on board. You can either make arrangements with private dining to have something supplied, or you can purchase some items at the Boardwalk Bakery and bring them along.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks TammiMcMan. I was wondering the same thing, how can smoke go against the wind? As far as the food and drink, I asked the CM that exact question and I was told that unless we booked a cruise with food and drink we were not allowed to bring our own on board. Anybody have any experience in this area?
    Dan

1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Our boat captain was the one who suggested that we go back and grab some food and drinks to bring on board.

Post Thanks / Like

How hard was it to get the cruise? My 90 days out is in Feb. We are planning to go the night before my daughter's wedding to start off our celebration. Thanks for the food tip. Their prices were too high I felt for dessert. We've had the cheapest dessert package at other events I've attended, and I do not feel it was worth the price. Thanks for any help.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

The cruises are very popular. I believe for Illuminations they have 5 pontoon boats that seat 12 people and the Breathless boat which seats less. If you have a large group, you might want to look into a magical gathering cruise, as those boats hold more people. Just like Cindy's for breakfast, you're going to want to be on the phone just as soon as the WDW-PLAY department opens. Don't be shy, just blurt out Illuminations Specialty Cruise on xx date.

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to chime in and say we also had absolutely no problem with smoke, though I had heard the same thing before going. I have never seen such a beautiful view of Illuminations. I actually think it is the number one, best thing we ever did at WDW. Totally worth the money, and a great experience overall. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Laura

Next trip- Oct. 5-9, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

The Illuminayions Cruise is one of the surprises I wanted to book for DH's 40 b-day, we are a family of 4, would we have our own cruise or do they book you with other families? Other suprises so far included Tower room at CR and hopefully Segway tour. [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

You don't book the seats, you actually book the entire boat. I have seen other message board sites where you can offer to share with another family and split the cost, but that would be entirely your decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by TammiMcMan:

Our boat captain was the one who suggested that we go back and grab some food and drinks to bring on board.
    Hmmm, I wonder what's up with that? I was told just the opposite by the CM, however, I would have to assume that the boat captain would be the expert so I'm going to have to ask another CM when I call for our other PS's. If it comes down to it I'll wait and ask the boat captain rather than taking a CM's word for it. Thanks again.

Originally posted by wildernesslady:

How hard was it to get the cruise?
    I called at 7:00am on the dot so I really don't know how it would be later, but I'd have to assume that the longer you wait the harder it will become. I do know, as everyone said, that they book quickly.

Originally posted by Jimenyfan:

The Illuminayions Cruise is one of the surprises I wanted to book for DH's 40 b-day, we are a family of 4, would we have our own cruise or do they book you with other families?
    I booked it as a surprise as well. I plan on "suggesting" a little walk around the Boardwalk and then nonchalantly guiding everyone over there. This is going to be good. To answer your question, you pay one flat fee for a limited number of guests, 1-12, and that covers the boat and captain. You don't have to share it with another family unless you choose to do so.
    Dan

1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

We did the Illuminations cruise in Oct. & Feb. 2004 and loved it. Excellent view of the show. For the Feb trip we called 90 days out. We planned our Oct trip less than 90 days out so when we called to book the cruise they were all booked. We happened to be at the BC one afternoon and went to the marina they had an opening that night. We are going to try to book for our up coming May trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what is appropriate, but we also tipped the captain of the cruise $20.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by wildernesslady:
    How hard was it to get the cruise? My 90 days out is in Feb. We are planning to go the night before my daughter's wedding to start off our celebration. Thanks for the food tip. Their prices were too high I felt for dessert. We've had the cheapest dessert package at other events I've attended, and I do not feel it was worth the price. Thanks for any help.
    The cruises book up very quickly and can be difficult to get. You need to call exactly at 7:00 a.m. (eastern time) 90 days before the date you plan the cruise. They are often completely booked within 10 minutes of 7:00 a.m.

Disney's official stance is that you are not allowed to bring your own food or drinks on board the cruise. They do offer various food packages. I agree with you. The price they charge is not worth what you get.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: