Quantcast Traveling with semi-sick Dad

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm not looking for shortcuts of any type, I swear.

My dad will be undergoing chemo this spring into early fall. We're hoping to sneak in a long weekend in between treatments for him in either late spring or fall if he's up to it. (We're going to find the most moderate weather possible in our travel window time)

He really wants to have another family vacation, and we want to make it as easy as possible. We've been to Disney countless times, so it isn't a huge deal that he do the rides, he just wants to be there with us.

Other than booking a hotel on the monorail line, or close to the boat docks at Y&B/BW/S&D, and other than renting a scooter when we're at the parks, are there any tips or suggestions for traveling with someone who is dealing with these kinds of things?

Just wondering if anyone knows of any resources.

Denise

[ February 18, 2005, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: DisnIse ]
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

From my own personal experience, here are some suggestions:

Don't put the trip off, especially since he really wants to go.

Wheelchairs are great inventions. On the last few trips with my Mother, she used a wheelchair since walking became a problem. She had a great time.

The father of a friend of mine was on dialysis and that didn't stop him from wanting to go to WDW. They actually were able to schedule his dialysis at a facility near Disney.

All Disney buses are equipped with lifts, so you're not limited to staying at a monorail resort, unless that's your preference. We always stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort, except for one stay at Shades of Green, and never had a problem.

Consider reserving a wheelchair or a scooter from one of the medical supply companies in the Orlando area. If you'd like more information on my experiences and the company I used, send me an email and I'll try to answer your questions.

The official WDW webpage has a section with lots of information for guests with disabilities or medical conditions.

There are guidebooks for guests with disabilities for each park which describe each attraction and will help you decide which attractions you should skip. Each guidebook also includes information regarding whether or not he can stay in the scooter or wheelchair in the attraction. For most shows, he will be able to stay in the chair.

I can't praise the Disney cast members enough.

They are fantastic and are knowledgeable in dealing with the public and especially the elderly or those with medical conditions or handicaps. In every one of our encounters with a CM, he/she never once asked me what "she" (Mom) would prefer. They spoke directly to her and made her feel as if she were the most important person in the world.

The Disney bus drivers will be extremely helpful when you board the buses. You will never, ever, feel as if you're being rushed. They are very patient and caring people.

The cast members in the theme parks will go out of their way to help you have a great time. There were many times when a CM came up to us at an attraction before we even decided whether or not to visit. I really think they have radar. They knew what we wanted to do even before we did.

Everyone made my Mother's transition from walking everywhere to being pushed in a wheelchair as painless as possible.

I hope this helps.

Have a great time.

[ February 18, 2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Sylvia ]
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to get on the WDW site. I forgot that they address the disabilities there. I guess I'm still getting used to that term for my dad!

Thanks again-
    Denise
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. It was tough for me to accept the fact that my Mother had problems walking. It was also tough for her; she thought it meant that she was getting old. We used to argue a lot; she finally gave in - actually, she had no choice - when I went to Guest Services and borrowed a wheel chair. She finally realized that it didn't mean she was getting old; it meant that she was smart. There was an added benefit. The characters, especially her favorites, always came over to her. On one trip, Chip and Dale sat on the wheelchair arms and I could swear they were playing "squeeze the lemon".

Have a great time.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

in each of the parks they to have a first aid station if needed and can help in any way. the CM who are nurses are there to help.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: