Quantcast Ear Problems

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Ear Problems

Post Thanks / Like

My wife has terrible trouble with her ears when we fly, to the point it brings tears to her eyes. Its really bad on takeoff and landing. Once we level off, she is fine. She has tried the Earplanes, chewing gum, sipping water and ear wax removal drops before we go. Nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any other suggestions? We are bringing our 2 yr old and we dont need my wife in tons of pain. Thanks...
    Oct.99 - Poly (Honeymoon)
    Sept.00 - CS
    Dec.02 - POFQ
    Apr.05 - AKL
    Oct.05 - POR
    Nov.07 - WL
    Oct.09 - CBR moved to POR(10 yr Anniversary)
    Nov 2013 AKV Kadani, 1st DVC Stay!
    Oct 2014 VWL (15 Yr Anniversary)
    Dec 2016 AKV Kadani
    Oct 2017 AKV Kadani Savanna

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I had terrible problems with this last flight(ended up with vertigo after I got home, steriods, ect..) Never had any trouble before. Ended up at a ENT dr and he suggested this. Although he does not think people should take Afrin normally... he said to take it 20 min before take off.... and to take a decongestant(like sudefed) at the same time. So that is what I am going to try this next time.
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest your wife check with her doctor about what might work best for her.

Astihistamines taken prior to the flight are often helpful.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I was told to take Sudafed a little while prior to take off. She should ask her doctor though.
    I learned about the Sudafed only after I flew and had my ears filled up with fluid for over six weeks-very painful and difficult to hear. Normally I am fine when I fly, but this particular time I wasn't.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

My mother often has the same problem. She has used Afrin before takeoff and landing and finds it is very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a call into her doctor....she just called back as we speak....she said start to take Sudafed and Afrin three days before we leave and make sure the last dose is right before we get on the plane, so there ya go my doctor agrees with Intercot!!! Thanks all.

[ March 29, 2005, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Ltmoko ]
    Oct.99 - Poly (Honeymoon)
    Sept.00 - CS
    Dec.02 - POFQ
    Apr.05 - AKL
    Oct.05 - POR
    Nov.07 - WL
    Oct.09 - CBR moved to POR(10 yr Anniversary)
    Nov 2013 AKV Kadani, 1st DVC Stay!
    Oct 2014 VWL (15 Yr Anniversary)
    Dec 2016 AKV Kadani
    Oct 2017 AKV Kadani Savanna

Post Thanks / Like

I also suffer from ear problems. Strangely enough, I don't have as much discomfort when I sit toward the front of the plane. Don't know why that would be, because the air pressure should be the same all over the plane. Maybe it's all in my head [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img]

I use EarPlanes and gum, drink plenty of water, and keep my head upright. The pain in the ears is worse if I put my head to the side and try to sleep.

Good luck!
    Just Jill.......

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: