Quantcast Is it legal to take movies of the rides?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Holidays! I am going to WDW in 11 days and was planning on bringing my DV camcorder. I would love to take video of rides so that I can watch them to remind me of that magical place. The only problem is I don't know if it is legal. Because filming movies is against international copyright laws, I would guess that theme park attractions would be the same way. I really want to film but only if it is legal. HELP!
    God Bless America!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Filming is permitted on a number of the rides as long as you do not use an external light source on your camera. (The external light source includes an open side door - you'll need to use the viewfinder!).

As you enter a ride or attraction, you'll be told if it doesn't permit filming.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I taped POC with my side door opened and nothing was said. I didn't even think of it as a light source. I did have to use night shot though which makes it black and white.

I watch my videos all the time. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    September 2002 - Coronado Springs
    June 9-17, 2005 - All-Star Movies
    June 11-18, 2009 - Pop Century
    May 19-22, 2011 - POR
    May 22-26, 2011 - Disney Dream - our first Disney cruise
    June 11-18, 2015 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people sell videos of the rides on ebay. That is probably illegal, but the auctions don't get pulled. My bf bought a tape of the HMH at DL on ebay, its pretty neat. -Stephanie

Post Thanks / Like

I videotaped about 8 hours of ride footage a few years ago. I watch them all of the time it's awesome. I even taped MV3D I put the 3D glasses over my camera lens.
    -*Double Galactic Hero*-

That's right ladies I've been ranked a Galactic Hero twice in a row!

piget Guest

Is it just me - or does anyone else find that others doing this kind of taping is both distracting and kind of rude - not meant as a personal assault on any individual poster - talking in general here...

Please, please listen to the "spiels" at the beginning of the attractions - and at the VERY least be kind enough to follow these....and at the most take your fellow guests into consideration - and just because a CM doesn't come over and say anything - doesn't mean it is right!

Post Thanks / Like

You are permitted to videotape in some attractions.
    If the Cast Member instructs you that no photography, video, or audio recording is permitted in an attraction, then in all probablity it would be a violation of copyright laws to do so. A prime example of this was the old Sony Superstar Theater.
    Keep in mind that Intercot vigorously discourages the violation of these laws.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a new camera on my Birthday... Sat... and I plan on doing a lot of recording.. especialy the night time christmas stuff.... I don't think I'll do the ride videos... except maybe on splash.. but thast just b/c I love the ride...hehe... I don't even know if i'll do that... i don't really like it when ppl do that.

But I do want to record the Xmas parade and CP... will they let me record CP? I think that would be fun if i can!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not aware of any prohibition against taping during the Candlelight Processional. I've got snippets of tape from two different performances.
    [email protected]

piget Guest

Taping outside stuff is fine! - I mainly meant the inside attractions! Even if it is allowed - I just think it is distracting for others and really isn't considerate.....besides how can you fully enjoy it with a camera in your face/concentrating on filming?... I would rather fully enjoy it at the time and take home the memory in my mind that is so much more than a camera can pick up - and I would never do anything to detract from the experience for others!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just last week I sat down and got ready to tape the Carousel of Progress (because who knows how much longer it will be around). I pulled out my camcorder and then they tell me that there is no videotaping....RATS!! Oh well, I still enjoyed seeing the Carousel again, but wish I could have somethig to remember it by.
    I was allowed to tape "Food Rocks" which is nice because I know it will be closing in January.
    My major gripe is with the people taking flash pictures inside the dark rides. I was on Spaceship Earth last week and a group of cheerleaders decided that they would all use their camera flashes. It was really distracting.
    College Prg-'99
    Dixie-Jan'00
    OffSite-Oct'00
    Contem-Sep'01
    ASMo-Jan'02
    YC-Sep'02
    ASMo/WL-Jan'03
    POR-Sep'03
    ASMu-Dec'03
    AKL-May'04
    POR-Oct'04
    POP-Mar'05
    POR/Bdwk-Dec'05
    WL-Jan'06
    POP-Oct'06
    POR-Jan'07
    POP-Oct'07
    POR-Nov'08
    POR-Nov'09
    POP-Apr'10
    POP-Nov'12
    POR-Nov'14

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, the last thing that I would ever want to do is inconvenience someone else while at WDW. I don't see how my videotaping a ride or show could bother someone. As long as I am not using a light, or a sideview then I just don't get where the inconvenience is. I have yet to figure out how to turn the flash off on my camera so I don't use it inside rides. This however will be remedied by the time I go down in January. Some of the best pictures I have gotten have been from on the rides.
    2-01 POFQ<br />8-01 offsite<br />1-04 Pop Century<br />4-05 Wilderness Lodge<br />6-05 POFQ<br /><br /> Tomorrow I will be at Disney Again!! I love having annual passes!!

piget Guest

It is definately the viewers - the light from them that is distracting! Having someone in front of you in a dark theater/ride is really annoying. So, if people are taping without using these - I am probably not noticing ..so that is cool and in no way inconsiderate to otthers.

[ December 18, 2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: piget ]

Post Thanks / Like

I taped rides using my infrared through the view finder and it worked great! Plus, other riders won't even know unless they look at you and see the camera to your eye.
    Nancy

DL - May 6-9, 2012
    DL - July 19-23, 2012
    CBR - Sept. 1-9, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Sept. 29-Oct. 11, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Dec. 8-17, 2012

Feb. 3-5, 2013 - AoA Cars - Anniversary
    Feb. 5-9, 2013 - The Poly - Anniversary
    Feb. 23-Mar. 1 - 2013 - Disney Magic - DH's 60th BDay

TiggerRPh Guest

Originally posted by faline:
    Filming is permitted on a number of the rides as long as you do not use an external light source on your camera. (The external light source includes an open side door - you'll need to use the viewfinder!).
    I've taped rides and attractions for years with a camcorder with an LCD screen and used it many times without being told not to. The LCD screens really don't give off enough light to ruin the dark illusion of any ride.

The fact that someone is taping a show, ride or an attraction....if that is bothering you, then I think you're just looking for things to complain about. Unless the person is directly in your line of sight, you shouldn't even be noticing it.

Another suggestion I have is to go into your menu and disable the 'record' light. CM seeing this will ask you to stop thinking that it's a infrared emitting light which I've been told can affect audioanimatronics on some rides.

[ December 22, 2003, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: TiggerRPh ]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by TiggerRPh:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by faline:
    I've taped rides and attractions for years with a camcorder with an LCD screen and used it many times without being told not to. The LCD screens really don't give off enough light to ruin the dark illusion of any ride.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I never thought of the open door as an external light either. All I can say is that I got yelled at by a cast member for using it and was I ever [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] !
    [email protected]

piget Guest

I am NOT looking for something to complain about - as I said they ARE right in front of me and it IS distracting - amazing the lengths some people will go to justify their inconsideration to others! Heaven forbid you realize that you may be doing something that is rude and inconsiderate - as if the attraction is just there for your personal taping/use - but go right ahead and explain it away by saying it must somehow the fault of the other person!!! Again, no thought or consideration given to the other person - just "it can't possibly be me or my actions.."

People here complain about rude and boarish behavior at "the World" (and outside) - this is why it prevails: you make an honest statement that "hey this is bothersome" ...and instead of looking at their own behavior and saying "oh, I never thought of that way...maybe I should rethink my actions"....they just justify their actions by assuming there is fault with the other person....amazing!

Here I am making an honest contribution to a thread on this board - and once again, someone has to get nasty and make a personal attack!

[ December 22, 2003, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: piget ]

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, let's play nice, k?

Everyone has an opinion on every subject and we're not always going to agree on everything.

I don't think anyone in this thread crossed the line to personal attacks ... There are just differing opinions being expressed.

As long as we're respectful in the way we do it, that's what this board is for. It is, after all, called a discussion forum.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

piget Guest

I am sorry - but it is NOT respectful when someone makes a statement directed at me and states I am "just looking things to complain about" - it is rude and out of line for someone to dismiss my feelings and opinions this way... to suggest that there can't possibly be any validity to them!

I find it ESPECIALLY so coming from a moderator - and then to have another come along and back it up!? I thought the moderators were here to forward the discussions and keep them from from going this route....!?

Post Thanks / Like

I apologize if you thought I was only stepping in to side with a board moderator. That was not the intent of my post.

I was just trying to smooth things over and get the discussion back on track. I wasn't taking either side.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: