Quantcast Tips from seasoned travellers.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Hello everyone [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]

We are travelling to WDW for the first time 10-24May. As well as it being our first time in America it is also our first time on a PLANE!!

Now although we have never flown it was not because we had any kind of phobia's or anything. The problem is, each time i tell anyone i know about our plans,as soon as i mention the 1st flight bit they laugh and say something similar to 'Gawd youve never flown and youre going on a nine hour flight!'
    Up to now ive laughed back but im starting to worry that we, well i, am going to be a nervous wreck once on that plane.
    Is there really anything to worry about? Why am i getting such an astonished response?
    LOL....Ive just checked the title and found that ive rambled ever so slightly [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] return to point........does anyone have any tips about calm flying/travelling long distances ....pleeeze!
    Also my kids are aged 13 and 10, any tips to make sure they enjoy their first flight? [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    First ever visit: 10-24th May 2003 ASMovies.<br /> <br />'Whatever floats your boat!'

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We bring along a small backpack that I carry-on that has mine, as well as my brother's music and game esentials. I have my CD player, and a few books. If your kids have homework to do, the plane ride is a great time to do it. Gum sometimes help with the air pressure difference.

Over all, just remain calm. Everything is going to be fine. There's really nothing to flying-Just arrive at the airport at the designated time and you should be all set.

Oh-You might not want to wear any accessories while traveling either. You might have to take off jewlery, etc, for the new security measures taking affect.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    Eddy

cosmic ray Guest

the more reading material/walkman/laptop gear you can bring on the flight the better off you are. this is especially true if you cant sleep on a plane. when i flew to europe in 99 i was miserable, but my music helped. just be patient with security here, although orlando international does a great job of getting you through security and onto a plane (better than atlanta!). again, if you have a laptop, bring it and some headphones! it helps to watch your own dvds on a long flight. enjoy disney world and america!

Post Thanks / Like

I would bring things to keep busy. Books, games, snacks, etc. They usually do show movies on long air rides
    Also some people getting uncomfortable with the ears when going up and down. A lollipop or some such thing should help.
    I always like to bring a little pillow or blanket (we used ponchos) to get comfortable
    ~~The Brat~~

Adults are obsolete children. -- Dr. Seuss
    In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul.
    My reality has become warped!

singermom4 Guest

The worst thing that can happen on a long plane flight is boredom and cabin fever (and I've been on flights to India!). If you flying during the night, then you will probably sleep for most of the flight, otherwise, I would take advantage of the movies offered - probably two for a 9 hr flight. You will have to give yourselves extra time at the airport for security checks and just watch what you pack in carry-on (nothing sharp, suspicious).

Another consideration is transportation - if you are renting, you will prefer to rent from an on-site rental agency vs. taking a bus to the car rental place. If not renting, you should be aware of other options such as limos or shuttle service and plan accordingly.

I guess the tips could go on and on - is there any specific area (other than the flight of course) where you have concerns?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

First things first, no you don’t have anything to worry about. Far from it, on our travels we have found the flying to be part of the fun!

You hear business travellers complaining about the frustrations of air travel but this is all down to altitude and their linking travel with work. You are in no rush; you have no contracts to sign so relax.
    Think of the flight as a very long park ride – one on which you even get food and drink [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img] It also gives you a new perspective on the world, the chance to look down on the clouds from up above where the sun shines all day - every day.

You asked for some tips so here goes….

Depending on the airline you are flying on you might be able to book specific seats numbers. If you can do this now. The layout will depend on the aircraft that you are in but will have either a set of 2 or 3 seats by the windows on each side. If it is 2 your choice is easy and you can book yourselves into 2 pairs of seats ie 2 window and 2 aisle seats. If it is a 747 or other aircraft with 3 seats along the sides you will have to decide how you want to split your party and may need to study the aircraft seating plans see http://www.uk-air.net/seatplan.htm#B

Get to the airport early, maybe even stay over the night before if you need to. Check in and get through to airside (past security) as soon as you can you can then relax knowing that you only have to walk to the gate and on to the plane when the time comes.

We agree with the suggestions so far about taking things to do and there may also be seat back TV. One point about the movie it is likely to be quite up to date, so stay away from the cinema for a while or it might be one you have seen [img]smile.gif[/img] In practise the time goes quite quickly on the way there though can drag a little while trying to sleep on the night flight home.

If you are renting a car spend your first at a hotel near the airport that has a free shuttle and pick up your hire car the next day. Although driving is very easy in the US you will find it easier still after a good nights [img]graemlins/sleepin.gif[/img] Best of all, if you have the budget, there is a Hyatt inside Orlando Internationl Airport, we booked on line for about $115.

We seem to have gone on too so if there is anything we haven’t covered post again and we will be happy to help [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Bouncing back Easter 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your first trip to Disney World! You're gonna have a great time! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

I've flown LOTS over the short years of my life. Here's some of my musts for long flights (and I've had 14+ hour flights to Asia).

1. Sleep on the plane! This helps to tremendously reduce jet lag. If you have trouble sleeping, take some Tylenol P.M. or some other gentle sleep aid. It really is the number 1 best thing you can do in my opinion.

2. The plane's air is going to be dry and probably chilly. Pack a sweatshirt for everyone, and wear comfy pants and shoes. Make sure you bring at least one bottled water for everyone and drink it frequently. If it makes you get up to use the bathroom lots, that's actually a plus because you'll walk out some of the kinks in your legs.

3. Get up and walk around every once in awhile. Stand in the open space by the bathroom and stretch a little bit - it does wonders!

4. I've honestly never travelled with kids, but if you can try to help them sleep on the plane, it'll help their moods a great deal. You may also want to bring some snacks for hungry stomachs. Airplane food isn't known to be the best in the world.

All in all, look at it as a great adventure. I love to fly and I love airports - I think they're fun. Airplane travel is actually much safer than travelling in a car, so don't worry, just relax and enjoy your flight.
    Beth aka Gretel - I blame the dolls.

Total trips: I've lost count!
    Resorts: POR, GF, Poly, CB, Pop
    Last trip - Jan 2014 Pop Century & POR; Dopey Challenge
    Next trip - Disneyland Aug, 2014 Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

You have recieved many tips so far on ways to handle the trip here to America. Once you & family are here and settled in at your resort(where are you staying anyway?)you will want to visit the Magic Kingdom. Like many others on this site, I have been to WDW at least once per year for the past decade and I always make Magic Kingdom my first stop. It helps to put everything else in it's proper perspective. By experiencing Walt's original creation you can fully understand why the other parks and attractions followed.

Enjoy WDW and America.
    93-Port Orleans<br />94-Caribbean Beach<br />95-GF<br />96-Yacht Club<br />97-Contemporary<br />98-GF<br />99-Boardwalk<br />00-Marriott <br />01-WL<br />02-Beach Club<br />03-Dolphin<br />04-Polynesian<br />05-???<br /><br />"You are not the first to pass this way, nor shall you be the last." - Maelstrom at Norway

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks everybody for your tips,

I have started to calm down a little now

singermom4
    I guess the tips could go on and on - is there any specific area (other than the flight of course) where you have concerns?
    Well i guess when we've got the flight sorted the main worry is to get to WDW seamlessly (if possible!) without too many hitches in hiring cars etc. We are planning on hiring a car and will now be checking that it is at Sanford Airport. We haven't yet decided which firm to use or which car to request.
    Also, you know if you check in early, (we are due to leave the UK at 10.35 and arrive at Sanford at 14.50) and leave your luggage in reception? how does it then get to your block in ASMo? and if someone brings it is it the done thing to tip?

chrisnjilly

The layout will depend on the aircraft that you are in but will have either a set of 2 or 3 seats by the windows on each side.
    We booked with Going places who use airtours/my travel planes. I couldnt find a link to their seating plans on the link you posted but i seem to recall the travel agent saying we would be seated together.....although she didnt mention whether we could request certain seats. Is it worth asking her about this or do only certain airlines allow this? She did mention that we may be seperated by an aisle and that of course that would still be deemed as us sitting together.....which may suggest its the 2 seats format.
    First ever visit: 10-24th May 2003 ASMovies.<br /> <br />'Whatever floats your boat!'

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Things are slightly different on charter flights so be aware that the seating you have been allocated might not include a window seat and looking out does add to the interest of the flight.
    You might ask your travel agent about upgrading to Airtours Holiday Plus which I believe does allow pre flight seat allocation.
    Whatever happens on the flight you will have a fantastic holiday and we stand by our comment in another post that WDW [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] will exceed your expectations, amazing as that seems because the place is, well....amazing [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

If you arriving at 1450 local time at the airport, I don't think you will be checking in early. Even so, the hotels do have a system of keeping your luggage until your room is ready, or on leaving, until you need it. We had no problem with this service, though I'm sure others have.

There's a small golf cart-type vehicle that tows a funny looking cart full of suitcases. It looks like a giant old fashioned suitcase. We tip the guy who brings the luggage to the room if we run into him.

[ February 11, 2003, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: NJDad ]
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Also my kids are aged 13 and 10, any tips to make sure they enjoy their first flight?
    Ever hear of the portable baby sitter... er... Gameboy Advance.When my brother (9) goes on a plane he basically vegetates in front of it. Its like a God send. Just don't let them bring it to the parks. (kind of spoils the magic)
    I'd also like to back up what everyone said about sleeping on the plane.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks everyone

chrisnjilly

You might ask your travel agent about upgrading to Airtours Holiday Plus which I believe does allow pre flight seat allocation.
    We have upgraded free to Holiday Plus but when i asked if we could find out where on the plane we would be sitting the travel agent said i couldnt but that we would be together....do you think i am being naive? Maybe i should ask her when we go to select the onflight meals.

I am sure that everything will exceed our expectations ......its just trying to fit enough in but leave time to enjoy it too! I suppose people have certain parts that they make sure they see in each park each time they visit, i will do some more reading around the board i think!
    Totally off subject...have you seen many spiders in Florida? As in humungous ones!

Post Thanks / Like

First the good news, we have never ever seen a big spider, can’t recall seeing any spiders at all so no worries there.

Airtours……not such good news, they have their terms and conditions well hidden on their web site but it says:

“FREE pre-bookable seats
    Subject to availability. Specific seats cannot be booked and an aisle may separate customers. Free Pre-bookable seating available on MyTravel Airways only.”

Now what the point is for prebooking seats when you don’t know where they are is beyond us. It would seem that all they offer to do is to seat your party together which they should be doing anyway [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

You might want to call them on the number below and ask very nicely [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] if you have any chance of getting window seats for the boys, that is about all you can do. The quote below is also from their site so you can check you get all you are entitled to.

“FREE upgrade to Airtours Holiday Plus which includes free pre-bookable seating, extra luggage allowance of 25kg, free Airtours children's clubs, free in-flight drink, free departure pack and free resort vouchers. You will also receive a choice of 10 in-flight meals. Please call us on 08702 412 567 to choose your meal once you have booked.”

It is too late for you now but for anyone else looking at these posts we would recommend that you look at booking cheap scheduled flights rather than charters wherever you can.

Whatever happens the flight is just a small part of what is sure to be an excellent holiday. Don't try and do to much, pick a few [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] highlights [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] for each day and let the rest be a bonus!

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember that all of the people remarking about your first trip all had to fly for their first time as well. People always joke about flying trying to intimidate you. There is nothing to it. I've rarely seen anyone get air sick. I have only flown a handful of times, most recently from the States to Paris to Denmark and then back home to the States. The flights were great. It was overnight but virtually no one slept. There was a rather large crowd of tipsy Parisians returning home. [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]

Needless to say, the flight was interesting. We also had many different movies we could watch. I think I watched three different movies. The adults could also bring along a book or a few magazines to pass the time.

As for your kids, my wife says I have the maturity of a teenager so I might can help. Hand held games are the way to go. My brother-in-law and I each bought a game for the trip. I bought Yahtzee and he bought Battleship. Since we were not used to playing these games, we took turns trying to best each other's score. To tell you how much fun it was, after our days of sightseeing in Paris and Copenhagen, we would go back to our hotels each night and continue to play the hand held games.

Enjoy your trip and next time you can razzle someone about their first flight. [img]graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img]

[ February 13, 2003, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: dksoccer ]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Hey Disney Dolphin2 (ChrisnJilly),

Don't worry about the flight! The only "problem" that you are gonna have is saving up to go back again! ..once you've been...you'll be hooked!

We live in Leeds and have been 3 times already and have another trip planned this year. My daughter was 20 months on the first trip, had her own plane seat and she has been just fine, so don't worry about the flight! - relax, take plenty of water, sleep if you want/can, stretch your legs avery few hours! ...you'll B fine! [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img]

Some Tips for the trip to WDW:

1. Plan a little - find out what there is and what you feel like doing. There is so much to do in Orlando, you'll never do it all in 2 weeks, and if you tried, it would cost a fortune! ..so select what you might want to do (including non-Disney - Seaworld is great, Uniuversal Studios may be worth a trip, Busch Gardens (A COUPLE OF HOURS DRIVE IN Tampa)is great if you like roller coasters and animals and if you have a car!..don't forget shopping!)

2. Stay on property if you can, and buy length of stay tickets. If you are on site, forget the car when going to the parks, use Disney's free (well inclusive in your hotel package) and frequent transport - gets you closer, quicker, cheaper..

3. Go to Walmart and buy 2 walkie-talkies (we got a set for $30), so that you can split up in the parks, if you enjoy different things!

4. Book some special meals in the parks in advance: e.g. book a table for a evening meal at the Rose and Crown in "England" in Epcot at 8 pm, specify that you would like to request an outside table and you can then have a good meal and watch the fantastic laser and firework show - Reflections of Earth - daily and unmissable!!!

e.g. The character meals are great and really not that expensive by UK stds - say $60 for 4 people. Even at 10 & 13, your kids will enjoy the fun and most meals = buffet = big feed to keep you going all day.

N.B. Some of meals are really popular (e.g. Rose and Crosn) and you must book before you go.

5. Do "Fantasmic" at MGM/Disney Studios.

6. Don't take too many clothes - it'll be HOT compared to the North of Engalnd and you need to leave space - we take empty cases for the excellent clothing bargains that are to be had on Internationall Drive - try Beltz Mall and surrounds... you'll never believe how many brits end up buying more cases to get their shopping home!

7. The main PONDEROSA restaurant on International Drive is a really great value buffet - $3.99 )(+ drinks) each for eat all you want breakfast - worth a try and a good filling station for hungry 10-13 year old ahead of a loing Disney day - cheap - food offers great variety, cooked breakfasts, LOADS of fresk florida fruit, cakes, etc...eact healthy or not as you want...
    Evening meals are also very reasonable at $8-12 with the buffet + optional steak, chichen or fish steaks etc.. we love a Ponderosa breakfast at least a couple of time each week!

..I'm sure that you'll get loads more advice here.... [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    45 years young, father of two and big kid from England.... lost count of trips every year now since 1999 and have 3 trips booked! HURRAY!

(I LOVE "MARRIED-2-WDW-NUT" (AND SPACESHIP EARTH! AND CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS! AND TOWER OF TERROR AND THE DISNEY CRUISE LINE!))

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] lets hope you will fall in love with Florida [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] and WDW.

First thing, the flight is the worst part of the holiday (especially coming back home [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] ) and is a pain in the rear. So when the No-Seat belts signs are off, go for a walk, it gets rid of the pain! [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] Sorry could not resist!

Seriously the main thing for the flight is planning. As already stated get the kids and yourself, if you like music, a personal CD or cassette players. Take some comics, magazines or a good book. Before you get on the plane get some crisps, sweets and sandwiches/rolls, the food on board is not always that good! Remember to leave any open food on board (especially meats and fruits), to this end get an empty plastic carrier bag and tie onto the seat in front and use as a waste bin during the flight!
    Drink fluids, water or juices on the flight, we always take two, sealed litre and a half bottles of water for the flight.
    Put all items you won’t need on the flight in one bag and put it up in the overhead lockers along with any clothing you don’t need (coats fleeces).
    Most airlines only allow one piece of carry on luggage per passenger, so buy large bum (fanny for the US) bags and use them on the flight. Mine carries a CD/MP3 player, hand held game, six batteries and a pack of chewing gum!
    That’s about if for the flight!

You asked about cars?
    Personally the bigger the better is my motto! Whatever car size you get make sure it has four doors. I think you might get away with hiring an “intermediate” size car. The only problem could be the return trip to the airport. You may need to put a case or two inside the cabin with you. We always go with two suitcases and always come back with four! We tend to buy most of our casual cloths in the US, hence the extra cases!
    If the budget would stretch to it I would go “full size” or even “premium” the cars are bigger in side and tend to have 3.5litre engines! Remember “ Bigger the Better!”

I think Driving in the US is easier than in the UK. Just remember they drive on the right side of the road! I know I should say the wrong side, but some of the natives get upset if you say that! Try to plan any trips in advance, know where you are going and which roads you are taking. Most tourist places are well sign posted and easy to find. If you feel like exploring, get a descent map, and a guidebook. There is a lot more to Florida than just the theme parks!

Spiders!
    Sorry to say there are some large ones out there! If you go out side the normal touristy areas you may come across one or two.

But after all said and done. It is your holiday, enjoy yourself, and don’t try to see everything! I’ve been every year since 93 and I still find things I’ve not done or seen!
    Kevin AKA Womble
    Disneyland Ca. 91-92 / Offsite 93-96-97-98-02-03-07 /
    Caribbean Beach 94-95-98 / All-star 99-01 / PO French Quater 00 / Coronado Springs 04 / PO Riverside 05-06

Post Thanks / Like

Totally off subject...have you seen many spiders in Florida? As in humungous ones!
    I think that is the cutest thing I've ever heard!
    Don't ask me why... I just think that's cute!

You really don't have to worry. You have about as much of a chance of running into a mammoth spider in Florida as you would coming across a Rattlesnake up here in Canada. They don't roam freely around the streets in giant numbers... and unless you're staying in a dumpy hotel full of cockroaches and dirt, you won't see any big scary spiders. [img]smile.gif[/img] Breathe easy!

You'd only really be at risk of seeing some crazy poisonous animals if you waded around the swamps and everglades. No worries! WDW is pretty safe as far as scary animals go! (Actually, I suppose you might see some interesting creatures in the exhibits at Animal Kingdom, but they won't attack you through the glass...) [img]smile.gif[/img]

You will love your trip. Everything from the flight to the food to the parks... EVERYTHING!

Just one note about Orlando Airport. I flew there a couple years ago... I seem to remember a couple confusing points in the airport when you get off the plane in Orlando. You pick up your luggage, and then you end up dropping it off again on another conveyor belt (so they can re-ex-ray it)... and then you can pick it up further down the line...

If you get confused, just ask a person working at the airport.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

You might need an explanation of the good advice from Kevin

Remember to leave any open food on board (especially meats and fruits),
    You are not allowed to bring fruit, vegetables or meats into the US in order to protect the agricultural industry from the chance of disease. This is strictly enforced [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] and you will likely see Agriculture dept. sniffer dogs in arrivals as you queue for immigration clearance.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you are heading to Sanford airport, not Orlando International. On the plus side it is a lot easier and quicker to negotiate and the car hire is easy to find.

On the downside you have a much longer drive down to Disney! You can go just about the whole way on the 417 Greenway - this is a toll road but will have very little traffic and will take you straight to Disney once you get on it. This will probably take just short of an hour travel time. Make sure you work out how to use the air-conditioning or you will over heat very quickly - Florida is hot and humid! If the thought of a long drive straight after the flight is daunting consider getting a Town Car service to your hotel and hire a car for a later period (See Happy limo in the sponsors section - they have had lots of good feedback from members). It is good to have a car for at least part of the time you are there and you can pre-book from the UK to get the best deal and include all the insurances you will need. Alamo car hire, for example, can be picked up from the Downtown Disney area which means it is quite easy to get to!

Watch out for luggage allowance on the way back - Charter flights charge you for every extra pound over weight and may even refuse to take it (rare but allowable under their rules). So go easy on your shopping or try to travel out very light!

The flights are long but you will have movies, you can walk around the plane and books / comics / puzzles / games all help pass the time. A pack of cards can work wonders!

You will have a wonderful time - but remember not to overdo it the first couple of days as jet lag can strike at any time! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: