Quantcast Best tips for kids first plane ride!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

The plane ride will be about 21/2 hours. I have 7 & 5 year old girls. Best ideas to keep them occupied before and during(other that crayons and color books). Thanks!
    ----------------------------------<br /><br />Aug.03-Poly Concierge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I usually like to pack a "lunch box" for each child. I include a bottle of water (sports bottle to avoid spills), snacks, chewing gum---important for those take offs and landings for ear pain!--carrot sticks, crackers, whatever. The peanuts and crackers they distribute on the plane don't interest my kids. I also include a sandwich of some sort because whatever time of the day you are leaving, if you factor in the wait time at check in, any unanticipated delays (and there is always that possibility this time of the year), and driving time to your hotel, the kids are bound to miss a meal. I usually like for them to carry their own lunch box because it is easier for them to retrieve it on their own. Also bring wipes! When ordering a drink on the plane for them, ask for a drink cover. Some airlines do not automatically give you one.

As far as an activity, hand held games are helpful, puzzle activity books (on the way home, my kids ages 10 and 7 really enjoyed the Disney magazines that we were given at the hotel upon check-in. It kept them occupied the entire 2 1/2 hour flight home). Also, my daughter likes to play with a small piece of clay---not playdoh which can crumble all over the place. Travel games are helpful too. You can even dowload puzzles and mazes and wordsearches from various websites.

I know that I am giving you a lot of ideas...pick and choose the ones that work for you.
    ~Mo

March 1985 / Off Site
    August 1985 / Off Site
    March 1998 / Poly
    March 2000 / Poly
    April 2002 / Off Site
    Feb 2003 / POR
    July 2004 / POR & WL
    Feb 2007 / POR
    July 2010 / ASMu!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

My kids are now 6 & 4 - they have been do disney a couple of times and we will be heading down there actually in Dec. our trip is also 2 1/2 hrs. (Boston - Orlando)

We have done a couple of things in the past but I guess my greatest advice is keep it simple and keep it a secret! (that is the plane activities)

Our kids weren't interested in books or really even coloring - we bought party size play-doh (little tiny containers) and they got 3 colors each they worked for about an hour on making planes, pools, mickeys (or at least their version of mickey's) When you first take off my kids were just amazed at being over houses, then ocean, then through the clouds that took about 15 minutes or so and landing was the same now you have occupied 1 1/2 hrs of your trip only about an hour to go.

They don't serve food on the plane so if your trip is scheduled over a particular eating time I bought cookie cutters that were shaped like Mickey (pancake shapers actually) I cut out sandwiches in those shapes, they thought that was pretty cool! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

The rest of the time they really just talked and played with the magnet games they already owned. We never tell them what's in the their "plane" bag till we are through the clouds! It is always fun to see how they respond! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

This next trip, I am working on each of them designing their own "DISNEY" trip bag - canvas bag that they paint, stamp etc... I will fill it when they sleep the night before our trip and that way they can just wake up and be surprised at some of my ideas (which I am just starting to think of)

I will be looking at some or your other responses to get some ideas myself.

Thanks for the great question! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    All Star Sport - June '98<br />All Star Sport - May '99<br />Dolphin - May 2002<br />NEXT TRIP - Magic Cruise (7 nights)December 2003<br />With a little Disney Magic and just a bit of pixie dust - I can fly ~ I can fly ~ I can fly

Post Thanks / Like

Coming from California, we always have quite a long day. Considering our actual flight time is at least 5 hours, and then any layovers we may have, even if we leave home at 6:00 a.m., we dont arrive in Orlando until at least 4:30 Orlando time, which makes for 9 1/2 hours for us [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] So, to answer your questions, we bring all of the things listed in the other responses, but my son (10) always brings his GameBoy and his Discman to pass part of the time. And my 3 year old daughter last year even brough a Discman and some Disney cd's, which she really enjoyed. You can even get those cd's with Disney stories and the book that you can follow along. Have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

This is my daughters first plane ride too. She is 7 yrs. We plan on brining an activity book, which has coloring and different games in it. I just picked it up last weekend. She also loves Britteny Spears (what 7 year old girl doesn't nowadays) So I picked up a teen magazine that had some articles with her in it. I also picked up a travel size magnadoodle. I though it would be good for playing tic tac toe, or whatever. I also plan on packing some snacks. All of this should keep her busy for the 2 1/2 hr. ride. I am also bringing a small blanket. If I am lucky maybe she will take a nap. We have an earlie flight and will be getting up at around 4:30 a.m. so she will be pretty tired, of course the excitement she will feel on the way may keep her up. But she is a pretty mellow kid, so who knows.

Vicky

7 weeks, 4 days and counting!!

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

We always bring plenty of coloring books, books to read, and games to keep them occupied. We also bring some snack just in case the snack/meal on the plane isn't what we would like.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, whenever we travel I always pack our 4 yr olds carry on suitcase with all new things, new books, markers, puzzles, etc. Usually stuff for about $10 and under and some snacks. He doesn't see them until we are "on vacation."

This has worked on our flights to FL and CA. Now when he knows we are going on vacation he starts asking whats in his suitcase.

Hope this helps. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

We have flown with our kids quite a bit and to WDW 5 times. It is a long 8 our trip. We have always taken gameboys and CD players (along with a ton of other things). If you do take these along remember some head phones so that no one around you is bothered. On one of our flights they showed a movie and did not have enough head sets for everyone on the plane and we were fortunate to have our own that they let us use.

Post Thanks / Like

Both of my girls have been flying to WDW since they were one (now they are 8 and 14).

Our flight is 2 hours but the wait at the airport is about as long soooo.....

I always pack a snack bag with things they love but don't get all the time and plenty of gum. Some juice packs. And no matter what time we fly I let them order anything to drink on the plane they want (my 8 year old thinks its fun to order a coke at 8am-she doesn't get THAT at home).

Also, I pack a new drawing pad and new markers or pencils and a book they will like but haven't read.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I took an idea from wendy*darling. She suggested bringing pipe cleaners for car drives but they are just as exciting on the air plane! They are very inexpensive and will keep children occupied for awhile. We also bring card games...Uno is a favorite. We now have Disney Uno so that will be coming on our next trip. [img]smile.gif[/img] Gameboys are also a good thing to bring along.

I always bring hand puppets. I have a Mickey, Minnie, a pig and a cow. They kept my kids busy when they were younger and now they use them to occupy other (younger) children who are sitting near-by on the plane. It gives them someone new to play with and both sets of parents are happy for awhile.

Of course, if your child is 8 or 11 like my two boys were last year, book a 777 airline...the gagets in there alone will keep them busy forever! [img]smile.gif[/img] We were in row 48 and my kids though we were flying first class!
    Proud mom to Monorail_Red and goofhook and DD Jenn!
    Proud member of the magical Disney Parks Moms Panel family.

I am not a Disney employee. The postings here are my own and do not represent the positions or opinions of the Disney Company.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Being that we have never had a game boy before, what do you recommend for 5&7 year old girls?
    ----------------------------------<br /><br />Aug.03-Poly Concierge

Post Thanks / Like

Well, i haven't been 5&7 for a while, but i remember i liked my own snacks... Disney related coloring books, puzzles, snacks, games, anything is always a plus... If you search the internet for disney coloring pages i'm sure you'll find a treasure chest there. Looking around i found a couple for ya...
    http://coloring-page.com/disney.html
    http://disney.go.com/magicartist/coloring/index.html
    http://free-coloring-pages.com/disney.html

Well, have fun, and i hope your kids have a wonderful time!!!!!
    Krissy <br />--------------------<br />Last trip was wonderful! This year we are thinking about the Cruise again. Great year! Disney Cruise and Italy!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by LottaLubes:
    I took an idea from wendy*darling. She suggested bringing pipe cleaners for car drives but they are just as exciting on the air plane! They are very inexpensive and will keep children occupied for awhile.
    Hey- thanks LottaLubes! I was just about to reply with the pipe cleaners! They really do work- they are colorful, creative and quiet My boys made all sorts of things on many , many trips. Add a small bag of colorful beads and they can make jewelry, etc.

As far as Gameboys for girls are concerned, I know that they have a nice variety of Disney games, some Barbie and evena Britney game for gameboy that girls may like. Blockbuster in our area now rents all their movies and games for a full week, with automatic an weekly renewal- that sure beats buying the games new. Also consider used Gameboys and games.

My kids also liked a small CD or cassette players and books on tape. But they can't play any of these devices on take-off or landing. An announcement wil be made when they can be on or off.

We always (still) have each child carry their own backpack with their choices for amusement and snacks for the trip.
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get your hands on a portable DVD player, that would be great. When we go with my granddaughter (5yrs. old) we take it and bring her several DVD's to watch, mostly Disney of course. Like Chelbell, we are coming from CA. so it is a long day. The flight is at least 5 hours so she can watch a couple of movies on one flight. Also , my daughter always goes to the dollar store and buys her all kinds of cheap little goodies and does not let her see them until see is on the plane! She has flown many, many times since she was 6 mo. old. She has gotten used to flying now and travels very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

SILLY PUTTY..........is a must!
    It comes in its own container is cheap and not messy, and you can always find a newspaper to get pictures from. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Tiggers are wonderful things!<br /><br /><br />Honeymoon Disney world 1983<br />Disneyland (off site)2000<br />Wilderness Lodge April 2003<br />'The Suite' SOG April 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for pipe cleaners! I too picked up that advice from Intercot, and my two DDs (ages 3 and 6 at the time) loved playing with them on the airplane. They made Powerpuff Girls and played with them, then made our whole family.

We also like those Magic Coloring Books that you can get with the "magic" marker -- the little ones -- they have lots of Disney themed books.

Actually, on our first trip to Disney, I got each girl a Princess backpack, and in it I packed the following:

3-4 markers
    Small notepad
    Travel-size Magnadoodle
    Small bubbles necklace
    Small kaleidascope
    A few stickers
    Magic Coloring Book (Disney-themed)

These backpacks go with us everywhere at Disney. When we go to restaurants, the girls put the crayons and coloring books they receive into their backpack, as well as any special stickers they get. No matter how long the wait -- whether on an airplane or in line for a ride -- they have something to do.

I brought the pipe cleaners in my airplane bag -- those were special for the plane trip -- and also packed snacks, juice bags, etc. I also brought some special coloring pages for them (off the internet -- all Disney themed).

[img]smile.gif[/img] - V
    1972, Orlando Campground; 1988-94, Orlando-area resident (frequent visits); 1992, PO; 1993, Dolphin; 1996, WL; 1996, D.Inst.; 1997, BW Inn; April 2001, Wild. Home; Nov. 2001, BWV, OKW & AS Music; March 2002, OKW; Nov. 2002, BWV & Offsite; Nov. 2005, SSprings and WLV

Post Thanks / Like

Buy them "earplanes"--it is some sort of earplug that helps with take-offs and landings. I'm sure you can find them at Walgreens or an equiv.--I had had someone on this board reccommend them for my daughter, 5 then--it was also her first time flying--I was very sorry I did not try to find some-bubble gum didn't help as much as I thought it would. her ears hurt a lot and I spent too much time during the flight(3hrs) reassuring her it would get better soon, though it was cute to hear her say "I can hear again!" when we landed in Orlando.
    ASMusic Aug. 2002(1st time!!)<br />Pop Century/AKL May 2004---------------------------------------Ohana means family, <br />family means no one gets <br />left behind or forgotten

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I know you've received lost of suggestions.. but I thought I'd suggest one more..

My girls are 4 and 8. They LOVE.. the books by "Klutz".

They have TONS of books...

Klutz Book of Knots: How to Tie the World's 25 Most Useful Hitches, Ties, Wraps, and Knots (comes with strings and tons of pages on how to make all these special knots.

Another one... Rock Painting book (it comes with a rock and paints)

Another... tissue paper flowers .. it comes with the tissue paper and TONS of flowrs to make with it...

They have a cootie catcher one (REALLY POPULAR IN OUR HOUSE..) you know - where you put numbers and colors and you fold it and in the middle it says some wierd fortune or something..

they have a pipe cleaner one.. and they also have a thumb print one... (I don't have that one.. but want to get it) you use the ink it comes with to make your thumb print.. (or other fingers) and then it has tons of pages on how to turn those thumb prints into animals, people, things.. etc.
    It looks cool! (again.. becuase it comes with everything in it - thats even better)

I think I'm going to buy 2 books for each of my girls.. one for the way down and one for the way home.

Of course.. you could just buy some of these things separately.. probably cheaper.. the books range from $10.00 - to $20.00.

But, my girls LOVE the books........

They have a felt one.. (you make felt puppets) My oldest had a blast with that one.

They have one that teaches you oragami (how to fold a dollar bill a million ways) she loves that one too..

I was just online checking out amazon.com and they have one called.. "KIDS TRAVEL... A BACK SEAT SURVIVAL GUIDE".. it actually looks pretty cool. I might check that one out at Barnes and Noble and she whats in it.

Anyway, I can't rave enough about these Klutz books. They seem to be activities that actaully let the children use their imaginations as well... and the best part is that everything is included with the book.

Anyway, hope this has been helpful. I would suggest going online to amazon to just search to see whats out there.. or even your local book store - thats where I get mine.. should have them) and you could actually check them out.

Okay - okay, I've rambled enough!! sorry for the long reply.

Good luck. Enjoy!
    Take Care,
    BettyG
    BettyG<br />Mother of 2 wonderful, beautiful, intelligent, most perfect children in the world!<br /><br />--2nd Trip - Planning Stages 10/05 not sure where yet**<br />--First Trip Ever **11/03 CBR**<br />--God Bless the USA

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: