Quantcast Late Day Arrival, What would you do first?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question

We could not resist the latest deal from Disney - Pay for 4 nights and get 7 [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] - But we will be arriving at about 5pm our first day (me, my wife and my 9 yr old daughter). What would be the best thing to do for the rest of that evening??

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say to grab a bite to eat, check into your resort, relax, and maybe take a walk around your resort to unwind for the day and rest up for the days to come [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] .
    Dawn

7/11-All Star Movies
    8/09-All Star Sports
    10/07-Pop Century
    12/05-Wilderness Lodge
    10/04-All Star Movies
    12/03-Contemporary
    5/02-Off-site
    9/01-All Star Movies
    8/97-Carribean Beach
    1/95-All Star Sports
    11/93-Off-Site
    Too many times before this to recall!!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure when you are arriving but we usually end up arriving on a Sat. We hurry up and check in and then head over to MK to see Spectro Magic. That is our only chance to see it because we are usually on our way home the following Fri.
    ddrnak
    All Star Movies Dec 2005
    Pop Century Nov 2004
    Animal Kingdom Lodge 2003/Pop Century Dec 2003
    All Star Movies Oct 2002
    Port Orleans-Riverside Oct 2001
    All Star Music Oct 2000
    Dixie Landings May 1999

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We usually don't make dinner reservations ahead of time in case of travel delays. One time we arrived late, so we caught a bus from our hotel to MGM, then took the boat over to Boardwalk for dinner. Then we walked around the on the pier. The kids played a few games, and we all enjoyed the live entertainment. It was a nice, relaxing way to start to our vacation. Good luck and have fun.
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC
    2016 YC

Post Thanks / Like

You could head to Downtown Disney - maybe have dinner at Rainforest Cafe which should be a hit with your daughter. Wander around the shops until you're tired.

As already suggested, get settled into your resort, spend some time exploring that, and have dinner on site.

You could go into a park but you will likely be tired and might be better served to get a good night's sleep before hitting the parks.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd leave the parks for the next day when you are fresh.

Personally, I'd check out the Boardwalk or Downtown Disney for some dinner and have an early night so you can get an early start the next day. It's always fun to settle into your resort too. Go for a wonder and maybe a swim? This could keep me entertained for hours.

Ooh, another good thing is to settle into the room and check out the Resort TV!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael șoș

• Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
    • Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
    • Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • March 2007 - Pop Century
    • Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon
    • Nov 2001 - All Star Movies
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

DisneyorBust Dad here,
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Our family will be staying at the Beach Club this December, arriving in late afternoon. Our plan is to check-in, get situated in our room and then we are going to head over to the World Showcase and try a little something to eat at a number of the different countries! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

If it were me, I'd either go to a park for awhile (to eat and see the nighttime entertainment, not for rides), or I'd go to DisneyQuest. Otherwise I'd feel like I was wasting my Ultimate Park Hopper pass on my first day.
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

My family and I have made it a tradition to
    go to the Hoop-De-Doo on our first night there.
    This way we don't waste a day from our park pass
    for just part of a day. The fun and excitement
    of the show and dinner really get us all hyped up.
    No matter what you do, don't wast your passes for
    just part of a day. Have Fun.. [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    'Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks about changing themselves'

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say DTD. You could get a PS for that evening at Rainforest Cafe and just browse around afterwards. Its really nice to just walk around the Marketplace at night w/ everything lit up. I think your DD would be old enough to appreciate the atmosphere. There are stalls set up for munchies or drinks. Dessert at Ghiradellis [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img] or a hot chocolate for your DD and margaritas at the Margarita Shack by the water for you and DW. Perfect way to end an evening and you get eased into the WDW atmosphere. If you still aren't ready to call it an evening you can skirt around PI and head for the WestSide with a huge AMC movie theater or checkout DQ if you want more excitement.
    Munch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.
    Abraham Lincoln
    (1809 - 1865)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Originally posted by Nantuckt:
    My family and I have made it a tradition to
    go to the Hoop-De-Doo on our first night there.
    This way we don't waste a day from our park pass
    for just part of a day. The fun and excitement
    of the show and dinner really get us all hyped up.
    No matter what you do, don't wast your passes for
    just part of a day. Have Fun.. [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    Whereas with a Park Hopper or Park Hopper Plus, you might consider it to be wasting a day for only a few hours enjoyment, with the Fairytale package, Ultimate Park Hopper passes are included. These are valid from the moment you check in to midnight on the day you check out, so if you don't do something each day then you are wasting your pass.

[ June 02, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Beast_fanatic ]
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

I'm always very tired after a day of traveling, so I don't like to do a whole lot when I get there that first day.

If you're arriving at 5pm, my vote would be to just settle in at the resort and maybe get an early bedtime! You can walk around, check out the resort and gift shop, eat dinner AT your resort, go for a swim, sit in your room and watch the WDW channel on TV (my favorite first-day activity. )

~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

singermom4 Guest

I would go to the park open latest and take it at a very leisurely pace.

Post Thanks / Like

we always arrive late on our first day too. Our tradition is to get a PS at O'hana's for 7:30 and have a late dinner after checking into the resort. It always gets us in the Disney mood. We will either stay in the restaurant and watch the fireworks over the MK (if we have a window view), or we will get up and walk down to the beach at the Poly. It's a wonderful way to start the vacation!
    Moving to Orlando! Yippy!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

That's exactly what we were planning to do. We won't be there until after 5:00, staying at the Poly. We thought we'd catch a bite and stay close. We were going to walk down to the beach a watch the fireworks before trying to get everyone to bed.

Even though we have the fairytale package and might be "wasting" it the first night, it is still a bonus to get these days "free" so I don't view it as wasting.
    ----------------------------------<br /><br />Aug.03-Poly Concierge

Post Thanks / Like

Given the time of arrival, 5:00PM, I would stick to my resort.
    If you are staying a WDW resort they are fun to explore. In fact it's a good idea to get the lay of the land.
    Were is the bus stop. Were is the food court or resturants. Check out the gift shops and the pools. Most WDW resorts also have great Game rooms. with the latest archade games.
    If you have energy to burn and don't want to use a Park pass go to Downtown Disney...it is a blast. Some of the best resturants are there. Wolfgang Pucks is great and very reasonable in price.
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    '94: August; Dixi Landing
    '98: September ;Port Orleans AB
    '99: May POR
    '02: May POR
    '02: Dec Wilderness Lodge X-Mas
    '03: June POR

'08: Sept. POR

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

We are going in August and won't get to the resort until about 3:00 because of a layover. We are eating at Hollywood & Vine and doing Fantasmic! The girls in our party are also hoping to do the hair wrap at the pool first!
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Sharon M.<br /><br />August 24, 2003 at the All Star Music

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: