Quantcast WDW guide books...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Need some advice on a good guide book to WDW. We have never been, and need a lot of info!! Just want to do some reading before trying to plan the big trip. Thanks all! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    -Robyn

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We liked the unofficial guide to disney world. We also liked the HassleFree disney world trip. I went to Barnes and Noble and glanced through a few books.

I would also recommend check this website frequently. I found out better information on this web site than in any book.
    Contemporary 10/82
    Polynesian 12/89
    Off-Site 2/02
    Port Orleans Riverside 5/02
    WL 2/03
    WL Concierge 10/03
    AKL 10/04
    WL 11/05
    WL Concierge 12/07
    WL- 11/08

Next trips
    WL - 11/11

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Passporter. Their guidebook is great.
    You can find it at the Passporter site or at major bookstores.
    76 Offsite<br />1999 ASMusic<br />2000 ASMovies<br />2001 ASMovies<br />Xmas 2002 POFQ<br />1 Day trip to EPCOT & MGM May 24 2003. Fun Time but to short<br />Oct 2003 4 dayss offsite șoș<br />Next Stop Universal & EPCOT in Aug. 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I was checking out the Unofficial Guide for 2002 today at the book store, and found some GLARING errors! ie. they still list the River Cruise as an attraction at AK?????? Normally, I find this and Passporter as the best. Birnbaum's used to be pretty good when it was not endorsed by Disney, but since Disney has supported it, it reads more like a brochure for WDW than an informative guide.

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Jim

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

The guidebook I have used the most is the "Walt Disney World For Couples With or Without Kis 2002-2003" It has lots of insights on all the sit down resturants and all sorts of info on each WDW hotel.

One note though: Their taste on food is very elegant and fancy. My taste is more hotdogs and hamburgers so I suggest checking out the menus here at Intercot before making an PS decisions!

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

I too recommend the unofficial guidebooks, and I also say you can learn A TON of information just by visiting here (and other boards like it) and reading as much as possible. If something doesn't make sense when you read it, post a question about it! No one will ever make you feel like you're out of the loop or asking something stupid, because we've all had to learn it at one point, AND there's really no one on this or any board that knows ALL there is to know about WDW. I doubt anyone would disagree with that comment. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Check out the various planning tools that are available too. I personally use Microsoft Excel to create a "timetable," so I can visualize a rough plan of how to spend our time. I end up veering from it often, but it really helps me to have something visual as a foundation.

Also, read trip reports if you really want a first hand account of what others have experienced at the World.

You can check out menus, touring plans, costs and times for this or that. One of my college professors wrote "read your life blind," on my final paper, and that is probably the best advice I can give anyone who wants to make the most of a Disney vacation! [img]smile.gif[/img]

(and definitely visit Barnes & Noble if there's one around you, as you can browse the books for a little while without having to buy them! (or if that advice offends anyone, you can always do the same thing at the public library!) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jon
    John 13:34-35<br /><br />Feb 2004 - Off-site<br />Aug 2003 - AK Lodge<br />Oct 2001 - AS Movies<br />Mar 2000 - Off-site<br />Apr 1999 - Off-site<br />Feb 1997 - CBR<br />Mar 1975 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Take a look at this thread discussing the same topic.
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought the "Walt Disney World Guide for Couples 2002-2003 *with or without kids*" book today. I am really enjoying it. I do buy the official Birnbaums Wlat Disney World guide ever 2 years but it is because I want the "official" word on some things and I am picky that way. I do prefer the unofficial guides for general information.
    Jan 93 Disney Villa's
    May 96 Port Orleans
    Apr 97 Off Prop.
    Oct 98 All Star Music
    May 01 All Star Sports
    Feb 02 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    May 02 Beach Club
    Sep 02 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Oct 02 Polynesian
    Feb 03 Polynesian
    Oct 04 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Dec 07 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Go to your local library. they have all kinds of books official and unofficial guides.
    Have fun!! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

I used to always use the Birnbaum book. But on a whim, I decided to buy the Passporter and I like that book alot better. It gives youthe layouts of the resorts and parks and of the rooms. I think this would be the only book you'd need.
    [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]
    ~ șoș ~ șoș ~ Mandy ~ șoș ~ șoș ~

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another vote for "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World". We used it the first time we went and it was wonderful. I was very prepared thanks to that book!
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my choices for best guidebooks in ascending order.

1. Passporter.
    2. The Unofficial Guide
    3. Birnbaum's Official Guide

Clermont, Florida...ten minutes from Disney :)
    Post Thanks / Like

One more vote for the Passporter. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I have all the Birnbaum books since the late 80s, but that's more of a collectors thing than a good source of info to me.

The great thing about the Passporter is it's thoroughness. AND I love the pockets in the back for all the individual days. That way I put old receipts, park maps, passes, postcards...really anything in there to keep and look back at. It's a really fun book for the Disney enthusiast. I thought I knew everything there was to know about Disney, but I learned more after reading my Passporter. (Yes I know, I'm a huge dork!)

Anyway...that's my vote! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    ~Mary Burk~<br /><br />Living the dream as an entertainment CM :)<br /><br />Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.

Post Thanks / Like

i to have never been to disney taking my kids
    in october i have both unofficial guide and
    passporter. unofficial guide is very detailed
    and informative on hotels restaraunts and rides
    and attractions. passporter is very brief in description. the book was made to be a memory
    holder with pockets and worksheets. i would get the unofficial guide.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Birnbaum's Official for the format. The Passporter is a nice idea, but to bulky to carry around with you. There's also a Birnbaums 'For Kids By Kids' which yours - kids that is - might like. Leafing through guidebooks adds to the fun and helps ease you through the waiting period. Check out any larg bookstore and browse until you find what suits you. As you've seen from this thread - everyone has a different opinion.
    Munch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.
    Abraham Lincoln
    (1809 - 1865)

Post Thanks / Like

If I was going to buy a guidebook, I'd opt for Passporter. But a better question is who needs a guidebook when you have 7368 guides right here at Intercot?
    <b>Shaughaan</b> <i>yup that's "Shawn"</i><br /><b>Keeper/Feeder of the Carnivorous Chickadees</b><br />Next up...<br />Vacation Home:11/26-12/2 AKL:12/2-12/7 WL:12/7-12/17/02<br />If you want a pretty fire, ya gotta burn a Doll!<br /><i>I wanna be a Starfleet captain...</i><br />God has given me a mind that I will use from time to time<br />And I got more on my head than what's made by Paul Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Brer Mickey:
    Here are my choices for best guidebooks in ascending order.

1. Passporter.
    2. The Unofficial Guide
    3. Birnbaum's Official Guide
    I agree with Brer Mickey!

Post Thanks / Like

When I went in '97 (my second trip), I picked up both the unofficial and official guides. For my most recent trip, I took advantage of passporter.com's free 2000 Passporter for just the cost of shipping and handling. While I felt pretty well versed in information from the official and unofficial guides (I had purchased the latest editions), I liked the Passporter as a carryall and keepsake.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: