Quantcast Here I Go Again On My Own – Trip Report

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here I Go Again On My Own – Trip Report

Here I Go Again On My Own – Trip Report

Basic Info:
    Dates: April 25 – May 2, 2023
    Resort: Pop Century
    Room Type: Preferred
    Discount: ‘Annual Passholders: Save Up to 25% on Rooms’

Okay, this is unusual, but since I tend to go overboard with my trip reports, I figured I’d give you all a break and try to keep this concise and mainly give the highlights, and lowlights, this time around.

Flight down was smooth and on time. I know people have a ‘love-hate’ relationship with Southwest, but I have not had a bad experience with them. A couple confusing situations, but nothing that I would consider ‘bad.’

Got checked into Pop through the app, but had to go to the desk to get a room assignment. Not sure what was going on there as it seemed that there were plenty of rooms available in the Preferred buildings. In any event, I got my things up to my room and got ready to hit EPCOT for the evening.

Hopped the Skyliner to EPCOT and got there around 4pm. Was actually a bit surprised that the Skyliner is the ONLY method of transportation to/from EPCOT and DHS, unless it is down due to weather.

My big plan for this evening was to walk around World Showcase to check crowd levels, check out some of the topiaries and maybe get a bite or two at the Festival kiosks. Maybe I was lucky and in the right spots, but I found the crowds to be moderate for the most part. Around 5pm the sky started to darken and you could tell that a ‘Florida Storm’ was approaching, so I figured that it was a good opportunity to check out The American Adventure. Just a few minutes after I got in the building, the clouds opened up and it came down hard. By the time the show ended, so did the rain. The rest of the evening was beautiful and the EPCOT Forever fireworks were better than I had remembered them.

From this point on, the trip was pretty much standard…Hit one park for the early part of the day, come back to the room for a couple hours to prep for the evening, then to another park for the evening. On two days this plan did not work. One was Thursday, when I was going to meet up with Denise and John Keeler at DHS for the evening and to watch Fantasmic and the second was Saturday, when I did nothing due to a sinus problem (Cold? Infection? Allergies?) [Forgive me if my days are off, as it all blends in to the mush that is my brain after a few days. LOL]

I did meet up with Debbie Sander Hertweck on Friday evening at DHS and we sat for Fantasmic. I am quite happy with the changes to the show and would be happy to see it again. (Just wish the seats were not the metal ones they have in there now! Very uncomfortable.) After the show, Debbie and I went to see the projection show at/on the Chinese theater. Nicely done show and worth catching while in the park. Debbie had a reservation for Oga’s Cantina, so asked me along to check it out. Since the park was officially closed, we were pretty much guided to the venue and had a short wait to get in. We had one drink and walked around inside to take a few pics of the layout. Definitely worth the time to check it out! When we left, it was a great time to get some night shots on the way out with no one around!!!

On two consecutive nights, I missed meeting up with Justin and Dawn McCarthy and Ian Mitchell. The first was due to my sinus problem, the second was due to just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. To be honest, the second night I think I was in the RIGHT place – in the queue for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind!!! LOL After Guardians, I decided to try to get in to the Space 220 Lounge since I hadn’t been there before. Walked right up and got a spot on the next ‘elevator’ to the station. I was planning on having one drink, take a few pics, and heading back down to Earth. 3 drinks (Shuttle Crew, Black Hole Old Fashioned, and Illumination,) a set of Short Rib Sliders and some good conversation later, I finally made my way back down. LOL BTW – Christopher is a great bartender and talker! [Personal note: I have no idea why I get into so many good conversations while I’m at WDW. I am typically not very outgoing. For example: Here in the lounge, a group of three young women came in and Christopher asked if I could move down one spot to let them sit together. How does THAT start an hour long conversation? LOL!!!!!]

Weather wise, there was some rain but it was sporadic, as is not unusual for FL, and Sunday and Monday were WINDY!!! Mornings were beautiful! A little stifling in the early afternoon, but that is typically when I take my short break anyway. After preparing myself for what the Weather Channel had predicted for the week, I was very pleased.

Okay…time for the wrap-up…

Highlights:
    Meeting up with Debbie and spending a good evening in DHS.
    First time seeing Fantasmic in years!
    Oga’s Cantina and the walk out of the park afterward.
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind (I can go on and on about this, but you have to ride it to understand. I am not a coaster ‘fanatic,’ but this has “Must Do” written all over it!)
    Space 220 Lounge. I know it’s hit or miss for most, but I truly enjoyed it.
    Topiaries. That is what I go for at this time of year. I’m sure I missed getting pics of some of them, but I think I got most of ‘em.

Lowlights:
    Missing out on meeting up with Denise and John.
    Skyliner being down during/after evening storms – Buses were few and far between for covering the down time.
    Missing out on meeting up with Justin, Dawn and Ian. Not one night, but two!!
    Not getting to try Tron. Missed the Virtual Queues and didn’t feel like spending $20 for it.

This was my last visit on my current AP and I’m still debating whether or not to renew it. It runs out the end of this month, so I have at least 60 days to make up my mind….

Well, that’s a wrap! Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. As always, I will be taking a few days to go through all my PhotoPass and phone pics and will be posting albums on my facebook page…

Take care and have a Magical day!!!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

2. Thanks faline, ibelieveindisneymagic thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip, Bud!! Thanks for posting!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

5. Thanks PopPhan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like overall it was a good trip. I find it interesting that they are still struggling with alternate Skyliner transport during storms.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

7. Thanks PopPhan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great reporting, Bud! Sorry you didn't get to try Tron, hopefully next trip!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

9. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to report!
    I don’t think you could ever “go overboard” with your details.
    Jeff

11. Thanks PopPhan thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: