Quantcast Tommorrowland Discussion/Is it a box office failure?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tommorrowland Discussion/Is it a box office failure?

Anyone else excited about this movie? After seeing the short film at Epcot I think it will be amazing and can't wait to see it!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I loved the preview at Epcot as well.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Asked for the day off at work a few months ago so that I could see it on opening day. I did think that more of the 1964 World's Fair was going to be shown in the movie. The second preview that came out made me think that the movie is more sci-fi than I thought. Please don't tell me it's called Tommorrowland, what did you expect!
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    Anyone else excited about this movie? After seeing the short film at Epcot I think it will be amazing and can't wait to see it!

I saw the preview too... While it looked a little plastic cgi wise, I am hopeful that it turn out well. The actor performances seemed good and in the end, its all about the story. Fingers are crossed.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Saw the movie today. As a Disney fan I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't more Disney orientated. It's a Disney film, Brad Bird directed, Damon Lindelof co-wrote the script. A presentation for the movie was at the 2013 D-23 Expo. An exhibit for the movie was also on the convention floor of the Expo. Everything presented at the Expo was quite cryptic though. If a person is going to see the movie because it stars George Clooney, then I think that person will like the movie. The AMC theater I went to gave out a card with a Disneyland E Ticket on one side, and a weekend contest on the other side of the card. The card has the names of the stars, producers, a director on it. I also think that I saw a Hidden Mickey early in the closing credits. Look to the upper right.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012

Post Thanks / Like

It was ok. Would not rush back to see it but I liked it. I used my Regal cinemas rewards card and got a free Tomorrowland pin, which is pretty cool.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrowncatP View Post
    Saw the movie today. As a Disney fan I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't more Disney orientated.
    See, and I thought it was just enough. I got giddy with the re-creation of the '64 World's Fair, when the Carousel of Progress theme was playing, and laughed out loud when they went on IASW. I loved glimpsing Space Mountain when they were in Tomorrowland, and I like to think of the monorail type vehicles as Peoplemovers. For me, the premise of the movie is Disney enough to where there doesn't have to be Disney references all throughout. I personally think Walt would have loved this movie.

To be honest, it made me kind of sad that we now have Buzz and Stitch and Mike and Sulley in Tomorrowland (at WDW). I think what's represented in this movie is what the original intention of Tomorrowland was, like Mission to Mars, Magic Journeys, Flying Saucers, etc. I love Disney characters as much as the next person, but this movie made me really think about how they really have taken over where they really shouldn't be.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy ‘Tomorrowland’ Is a Box-Office Disappointment

Disney’s big-budget “Tomorrowland” was a relative bust at the domestic box office over the holiday weekend, a result that will likely make Hollywood even more reluctant to invest in original stories.

Costing at least $280 million to make and market, “Tomorrowland” will take in about $40.7 million between Friday and Monday, according to box office analysts, or about 20 percent less than anticipated going into the holiday weekend.

The PG-rated “Tomorrowland,” directed by Brad Bird, who was also a writer, notably had the prime Memorial Day period almost entirely to itself. The only other new wide-release movie was a remake of “Poltergeist” (20th Century Fox), which analysts said on Sunday would take in about $27.7 million, a solid result for a PG-13-rated horror film that cost Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer a modest $35 million to make.

Read more at NYTimes here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/25/ar...ment.html?_r=0
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I'm really surprised. We've been to a couple of movies lately, and the previews for Tommorowland didn't look awesome. If we weren't Disney fans, we probably wouldn't be planning to see it at all (but we are, just didn't get there this weekend).
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Some people came into the restaurant last night where my daughter works and told her they had just walked out of the movie, it was that bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I don't think I'll be running out to see it but plan on watching it when it hits the movie channels. Unfortunately, the trailer kind of reminded me of the Haunted Mansion movie with Eddie Murphy that I also thought was poorly done.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the movie discussion for the Intercot reviews.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012

Post Thanks / Like

While I can't say it was a terrific movie, I enjoyed it.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We went to see it yesterday and probably should have waited for DVR. I don't think I will buy the DVD, just not what I expected. I am, however, looking forward to seeing the new Pixar film "Inside Out" that was on the previews. The Pan movie coming out next year looked a little dark to me. Everyone has different tastes.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Pixar animated sequence Brad Bird cut from Tomorrowland.

https://youtu.be/w-USh0Womb4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Cool Pixar animated sequence Brad Bird cut from Tomorrowland.

https://youtu.be/w-USh0Womb4
    Liked it. It's too bad they took it out of the movie as it is a nice lead-in to the story.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I liked it! Of course I have a different taste than everyone else, but I was entertained. I had fun looking for Disney history, the park tie-ins and I thought the story was every bit as good as anything else released by Hollywood. I also enjoyed The Lone Ranger and that was a "bust".

I go to the movies to be entertained. Plots or character development aren't always the most important component of a good movie for me. When I leave the theater, if I feel I was entertained or something in the movie sparked a curiosity, made me laugh, angry, sad, or provoked thought - my money was well spent.

Regardless of what experts and critics are saying or writing about movies, I'll go see it. I think it's easy to write a bad review and I think critics get more website visits by bashing a movie. That's just my critique of the critics

Anyway - I think it's sad that new ideas and concepts are often brushed aside or scorned by the public. $$ drives the industry just like everything else, so I'll wait patiently for Frozen 2, Terminator (what are we on now 5?), Jurassic Park 4, Avengers 3, Batman ??, and Independence Day 2 - and I will probably like them all anyway.
    Michael
    You ain't never had a friend like me!

DVC Owner - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw Tomorrowland today with Mark, our youngest. We were looking forward to it and found it to be so-so. The acting was good, the story seemed like it was sort of confused to me. I can see why it hasn't done well and won't be picking this up on BD.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conan617 View Post
    I liked it! Of course I have a different taste than everyone else, but I was entertained. I had fun looking for Disney history, the park tie-ins and I thought the story was every bit as good as anything else released by Hollywood. I also enjoyed The Lone Ranger and that was a "bust".

Post Thanks / Like

I was very excited to see Tomorrowland after seeing the short segment at Disneyland - and it took us a few weeks but we finally found time to go. I have to say that I was entertained during the movie. But looking back it seems like there are some inconsistencies/questions with the plot. I don't think that it has a lot of repeat viewing appeal but it was a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

That said I still think my favorite part as a Disney fan is the part that was shown at Disneyland - the portion at the New York World's Fair. I loved that IASW served as a portal!!! And it was cool to see how the fair was imagined for the movie.

I"m glad that Disney has been making movies that appeal to Disney history fans! I still think Saving Mr. Banks is the best movie I've seen in several years.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: