Quantcast What is your Disney "Breaking Point"? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Outrageous air fares.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manutd1 View Post
    To the examples you gave.....IMHO, You only live once....and can't take anything with you to the grave....have fun in life and if a person wants to go......then GO. You will only regret not going. I understand your points. But, I will in no way sacrifice enjoying life..to possibly be financially independent. My father was like that...literally a few days before he died...he told me that was his major regret. He would have RATHER worked later in life and did more all of his life...instaed of saving and doing less during his life. He told me to enjoy life...money is meant to be spent. Does no one any good after they are dead. Obviously, if someone can't afford to go...they can't afford to go. thats just the way it is. But, I will always remember him telling me how much he regretted focusing so much on saving instead of enjoying the one life we have..
    I have to agree with this. The bills will always get paid first but you must also make room for fun in your life. My father was 66 when he died, he worked hard and saved all his life for his retirement. Instead at 64 he was diagnosed with Lou Ghrig's disease. My mother at 60 was found to have advanced lung cancer. They Passed away within a week and a half of each other. Because mom didn't have medicare coverage most of their savings went to doctors. Life is to short and you don't know what might happen, so enjoy yourself now. Enjoy the little bits of happiness that happen every day and don't sweat the small stuff. A wise person once told me "everything is small stuff".
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

When my oldest two were little we went often -- sometimes multiple times in one year. Since 2008, we've only been every three years.

Some of that is because of cost, but it's more because we wanted the kids to see other parts of the country as well.

So we've taken them to New York, Sequoia, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc. Our last trip was a whirlwind tour of the Southwest that included the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and of course, Disneyland.

For these reasons, I don't think Disney World will ever get old for us. I too have been going since the 1970s, and it's not only the attractions that I love, but the beautiful parks themselves. And there's nothing like good Florida weather to show them off.

One more thing. There are two BIG reasons I love WDW that really don't get talked about much: the plants/landscaping and the atmospheric music. Those are background features that I think are sorely underappreciated.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

My family hasn't reached that point yet either. Sometimes we skip attractions because they're not a favorite or there's no time and sometimes we don't ride things more than once per trip but we always feel sad when we leave and can't wait to begin planning the next big adventure.

I don't feel that Disney needs to compete with Universal. They are two completely different things - Disney is more family-oriented and classic where Universal is more thrilling and contemporary. I prefer Disney. I'd never go to Universal ever if it wasn't for Marvel.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Question

Great question and discussion...I'm also not at that point but I do have to say the kind of massive planning that needs to be done these days is a little off-putting. I mean don't get me wrong, I am a natural "planner" kind of person but the thought that I have to put into securing ADRs, Fastpasses etc is a bit much sometimes. It takes some of the fun out of it. It will be interesting, we have two trips planned in the next approx. 18 months. One just DBF and me (the 52 yr old who has never seen a Disney movie) this Fall and then an extended family trip including little ones next Fall. I would say that probably after that we will take a little break and do something else for awhile.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Sylvia;2456475]DITTO!!!!!

I feel like I've entered the twilight zone. No complaining or negativity - just many posters who appreciate the overall experience. Thank you azcavalier for starting this thread. QUOTE]

This has been a relative breath of fresh air. We haven't been able to go for 7 years and are finally leaving in 13 days for a much needed trip and my youngest son's first trip. Can't wait and am vowing not to have to wait this long again! Sure there are things that could be better but that's always the case. For me, it's the memories of my childhood at WDW and past trips and now being able to pass that on to my two boys that makes Disney so wonderful. No attraction problems or negativity can take away from that!
    1979 - WDW Contemporary Resort
    1982 - Disneyland
    1988 - WDW Contemporary Resort
    1996 - WDW Disney Villas
    1999 - WDW Disney Institute
    2002 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 - WDW Coronado Springs
    2008 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
    2010 - Disneyland
    2015 - WDW Coronado Springs

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by i'm grumpy View Post
    Outrageous air fares.
    Try flying in the 60-70's......now that was high fares. Cheap now compared to inflation...by a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's important to remember that what causes a negative experience is completely subjective. There are hundreds of reasons why one person could be souring on the WDW experience while another is finding their reasons to go increasing.

I think most of us would all agree that the main reason we go is that "feeling." Call it magic, call it an escape from reality, call it fantasy...the Disney experience calls a certain group of people back again and again because it makes us, well, happy. For some of us it makes us feel as though we're kids again. Others find it relaxing. Some find it thrilling. Some love watching their kids experience the magic. Others find luxury. There's no one thing that makes the place special. It's not a tangible thing you can point out. It seems to be a feeling.

When that feeling starts to fade, it's not a pleasant feeling because you really do feel as though you're losing something special. It doesn't just happen over night. It takes time. A few trips don't quite do it. A few changes may directly impact what that "thing" is for you. You stop planning your next trip before your current trip is over. You stop listening to ride music at work. You find yourself in the middle of a trip and just not feeling amazed and delighted. It's not as magical.

It may be you. It may be the park and changes. Who knows? But when your special place no longer feels special your first instinct is to try and get it back. It might come out on message boards as being negative, constant complaining, never being happy because that's all you can focus on. You want it back, so you shout to the mountain tops, pleading for it to return. People who are complaining about changes aren't complaining because they are bitter. They're truly upset because they feel they've lost something special. Maybe it was the closure of a quick service restaurant that finally tipped them to the point where they want to rally others to help them get it back. Some people are better at complaining politely than others (it's those others that tend to start flame wars).

I'm one of those people who has been feeling the magic waning. My kids are sill excited, and planning constantly. For me? My last few trips have not been filled with Disney magic. I don't know why. Luckily I had wonderful people who made the experiences magical. (Friendship is magic! Sorry. I don't know why I felt the need to say that.)There are things I certainly don't like that have changed over the years, but there have also been many things that have changed that I genuinely love. Could be the parks. Could be the business decisions. Could be me. Could be all three. Something has changed for me.

And that makes me sad. I don't mean to sound negative about the things I complain about. I certainly don't complain about them online (though I might crack some jokes). But those complaints are really made with a deep love for something. It certainly doesn't help me feel better when I do talk to my friends and, rather than listen and discuss it, they chide me for being negative. Nor, I'm sure, would like like me calling them Pollyanas because they have a more positive outlook. We each have our own experiences and should be able to share them.

I don't know if I have a breaking point because I always have hope for what's around the corner. But I can say that I've been enjoying things a lot less and I can't point to several things that contribute to that. As it stands, I don't have any plans to return to WDW in the near future. I'm sure I will. I always do. But I'm not planning a trip--even a pretend trip that is for the sole purpose of daydreaming. That's odd.

I wrote a lot. Sorry.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac View Post
    I think it's important to remember that what causes a negative experience is completely subjective. There are hundreds of reasons why one person could be souring on the WDW experience while another is finding their reasons to go increasing.

I think most of us would all agree that the main reason we go is that "feeling." Call it magic, call it an escape from reality, call it fantasy...the Disney experience calls a certain group of people back again and again because it makes us, well, happy. For some of us it makes us feel as though we're kids again. Others find it relaxing. Some find it thrilling. Some love watching their kids experience the magic. Others find luxury. There's no one thing that makes the place special. It's not a tangible thing you can point out. It seems to be a feeling.

When that feeling starts to fade, it's not a pleasant feeling because you really do feel as though you're losing something special. It doesn't just happen over night. It takes time. A few trips don't quite do it. A few changes may directly impact what that "thing" is for you. You stop planning your next trip before your current trip is over. You stop listening to ride music at work. You find yourself in the middle of a trip and just not feeling amazed and delighted. It's not as magical.

It may be you. It may be the park and changes. Who knows? But when your special place no longer feels special your first instinct is to try and get it back. It might come out on message boards as being negative, constant complaining, never being happy because that's all you can focus on. You want it back, so you shout to the mountain tops, pleading for it to return. People who are complaining about changes aren't complaining because they are bitter. They're truly upset because they feel they've lost something special. Maybe it was the closure of a quick service restaurant that finally tipped them to the point where they want to rally others to help them get it back. Some people are better at complaining politely than others (it's those others that tend to start flame wars).

I'm one of those people who has been feeling the magic waning. My kids are sill excited, and planning constantly. For me? My last few trips have not been filled with Disney magic. I don't know why. Luckily I had wonderful people who made the experiences magical. (Friendship is magic! Sorry. I don't know why I felt the need to say that.)There are things I certainly don't like that have changed over the years, but there have also been many things that have changed that I genuinely love. Could be the parks. Could be the business decisions. Could be me. Could be all three. Something has changed for me.

And that makes me sad. I don't mean to sound negative about the things I complain about. I certainly don't complain about them online (though I might crack some jokes). But those complaints are really made with a deep love for something. It certainly doesn't help me feel better when I do talk to my friends and, rather than listen and discuss it, they chide me for being negative. Nor, I'm sure, would like like me calling them Pollyanas because they have a more positive outlook. We each have our own experiences and should be able to share them.

I don't know if I have a breaking point because I always have hope for what's around the corner. But I can say that I've been enjoying things a lot less and I can't point to several things that contribute to that. As it stands, I don't have any plans to return to WDW in the near future. I'm sure I will. I always do. But I'm not planning a trip--even a pretend trip that is for the sole purpose of daydreaming. That's odd.

I wrote a lot. Sorry.
    Don't apologize. This is *exactly* the kind of response I was hoping to get. Even I am surprised at the overwhelming positive responses on this thread. But you eloquently stated just what I was wondering. I still love WDW, and admittedly am still excited to go back every time we do, but not quite as excited. Maybe because it's not new, or we've overdone it in the past few years...I don't know. But this last time, as I found myself riding the Gran Fiesta Tour, looking at the (dated) video of tourist Mexico, I found myself thinking, "Man, i'd rather be in Mexico." And I then spent the rest of the weekend thinking about going to someplace tropical on vacation. Which is something that doesn't interest my wife *at all*. She loves WDW. And she is the breadwinner and has a high stress job. So, if it keeps her happy, I'll keep going. Because she needs the vacation more than I do. And it's still her happy place. I'd say that my tipping/breaking point for it being "magical" is much closer than hers is.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a GREAT topic and have loved seeing the insight from everyone. Clearly we moved across the country to be here at WDW, so I haven't reached that point, but as someone else stated, some of the things happening right now are a big off-putting. #Frozen
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I feel like I've entered the twilight zone. No complaining or negativity - just many posters who appreciate the overall experience.
    Yeah... this has been an issue for me here on the forums for quite a while. It used to be a "magical place" to visit. Not so much anymore.

I mentioned my feelings about this to the Admins a while back. It has tended to be a big pot of negativity as the verbose 'armchair quarterbacks' rant and rant about how bad Disney is in so many ways. In thread after thread. What amazes me is that these folks are still here on a Disney focused site. If it is so bad and so totally hopeless and so doomed to failure...... I wonder why they still hang around. Other than to rant.

Can Disney be better? Of course. Do they sometimes make mistakes? Yes. Are there some poor Cast members? Yes. Is it expensive? Yes. Does it get crowded? Yes. Has my family ever had a negative experience? Yes. Are they making a lot of money? Yes. Is it hot in Florida in the summer? Yes. Are some attractions outdated? Yes. Do we want them to update faster? Yes.

But you know...... it can also be a darn lot of fun. I think that the larger number of positives FAR outweigh the smaller amount of negatives. By FAR!

You often bring your own expectations with you wherever you go....... and if you are looking for certain things... you'll often find them. If you are looking for problems... you'll frequently find them. If you are looking for positive stuff... you'll likely find that stuff too.

So yes.. this thread basically started out as a nice breath of 'fresh air".

best,

...................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

It was about 3-4 years ago... We've been cruising now for a few years, no plans to stop. We didn't think we'd be on a cruise this year, change of plans.. We're going, again!

Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand what Gary wrote. I've kinda been feeling that way about WDW too. BUT (being a glass half-full type of gal) those feelings have pushed me to try out some NEW Disney destinations in order to get back that "magic". We went on our first Disney Cruise a couple years ago (and are looking at booking another one in the spring). AND we are going on our very first DISNEYLAND trip this fall. So while I may not have any plans to visit WDW in the foreseeable future, I'm definitely looking for the magic elsewhere!

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac View Post

Well said!

It would take very much for me to hit the point where WDW doesn't fit into my life anymore. I guess if you took away Spaceship Earth, the World Showcase, Space Mountain, the view of the castle from Main Street, Haunted Mansion, the Carousel of Progress, Splash Mountain, the TTA, and Big Thunder Mountain, maybe I'd stop coming.

The whole process of getting away from the real world, meaning, the flight, MCO, the drive to WDW, the feeling of going through the gates at MK for the first time, being at a WDW resort, driving up to Epcot, these are all things that I don't get anywhere nor can I put a price on. Not much else makes everything else go away like WDW. Even a message board or youtube video can do the trick on a bad day. Breaking point?

This guy is far from it. And is proud of it.

Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Since I'm a lifelong resident of Texas, and not especially wealthy, my trips are pretty few and far between (as you can see by my signature). Actually, though, this fact is somewhat of a blessing. I think if I went multiple times a year, or even once a year, I might get burned out. The way it is, however, I'm always excited about that next trip because it's such a BIG DEAL. Its a tradition that started at Disneyland with my grandparents, continued at WDW with my daughter, and is now further continuing with my grandchildren.
    I have memories of my grandmother getting off the Matterhorn and taking a "stress pill," my daughter walking down Main Street U.S.A at night with the lights on her sneakers adding to the lights on the buildings, and my wife looking at me on Big Thunder Mountain with what she said was the "look of fear!" All these memories are years, even decades apart, and all are part of "The Magic." ...and there are hundreds more.
    So will I ever get tired of Disney? I really don't think so. Because Disney isn't really a place for me, its an ideal. Its a feeling. And for me, its pretty rare.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    But this last time, as I found myself riding the Gran Fiesta Tour, looking at the (dated) video of tourist Mexico, I found myself thinking, "Man, i'd rather be in Mexico." And I then spent the rest of the weekend thinking about going to someplace tropical on vacation. Which is something that doesn't interest my wife *at all*. She loves WDW. And she is the breadwinner and has a high stress job. So, if it keeps her happy, I'll keep going. Because she needs the vacation more than I do. And it's still her happy place. I'd say that my tipping/breaking point for it being "magical" is much closer than hers is.
    Ah, Mexican Small World. Oddly, the whole Mexico pavilion is one of my warm and fuzzy places. I think part of what's going on for me is wanderlust. We don't get a lot of opportunity to travel and maybe I'm feeling fenced in because we tend to repeat the same destinations. Plus I'm getting old and crabby.

My kids, especially my oldest daughter (to be fair, she's 20) are still huge Disney nuts, so they are filled to the brim with magic. The oldest is wanting to expand our reach. That may be just what I need to reinvigorate that magical feeling. Which leads me to...

Quote Originally Posted by jennsky View Post
    I totally understand what Gary wrote. I've kinda been feeling that way about WDW too. BUT (being a glass half-full type of gal) those feelings have pushed me to try out some NEW Disney destinations in order to get back that "magic". We went on our first Disney Cruise a couple years ago (and are looking at booking another one in the spring). AND we are going on our very first DISNEYLAND trip this fall. So while I may not have any plans to visit WDW in the foreseeable future, I'm definitely looking for the magic elsewhere!
    That is exactly what my daughter has been suggesting. We're looking at either DL or a cruise to celebrate her graduation from college. Still have a few years until that happens, but it may be the perfect remedy.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

When quality decreases
    PLEASE WAIT UNTIL THE RIDE COMES TO A COMPLETE STOP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    But at what point do you stop?

I am hoping this never happens and our family continues to enjoy WDW. As our children are growing up, the dynamic of trips continues to change......

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I will ever reach the point that I don't go to Disney. I just returned from WDW Friday night. Our trip was 05-08-15 - 05-15-15. My husband surprised me with the trip several months ago as a way for us to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. He gave me options to choose from: A train trip through the Grand Canyon (never been), A week at the beach, A Disney Cruise (never did a Disney cruise before) or a week at Disney. I chose the Disney Cruise (a 3 night cruise). But of course I can't be that close to the Magic and not visit the World - So we did that too (4 nights at POFQ)!

The last time we went was last year to celebrate our DD's graduation from college. We had NO intention of going again so soon. I was a little afraid that it was too soon after just being there last year but I was also afraid that I would regret not doing both. It's only money, right?! lol!

Let me say that in no way, shape or form are we wealthy. Far from it. We try to go to Disney every 2-3 years. We save for it.

The biggest draw for me to celebrate our anniversary with Disney was because of the memories. We honeymooned at Disney 25 years ago and it really was a no-brainer that we should do that to celebrate our love for each other. I am one of those people that walks into the park (any one of them) and a smile comes across my face because I have just entered "The Happiest Place in MY World."

I am SO happy that I made that decision months ago. Not just because of the anniversary but because my sister died on 04-29-15. I don't know if I can express how much the "Disney Experience" helped me through what is a terrible time in my life right now. I escaped from the hustle and bustle of real life and I was able to relax and enjoy myself; and grieve. The cruise was so relaxing. (I want to live on Serenity Beach at Castaway Cay.) Even tho we did all our "planning" months ago with reservations and FP's for Disney, we took our time. We actually skipped Animal Kingdom to have down-time at DTD. We took every day and did it at our pace. That's what I needed. Seriously - no rushing. We didn't make it to a FP? Who care's. I really didn't.

I know my grieving isn't over but Disney helped tremendously. I have lost both my parents and 2 of my brothers. Each time it's been different with each loss. My one brother was a Disney fanatic so we took a trip to Disney months after he passed and spread his ashes at his favorite places in the World. It was as cathartic then just as it was cathartic now.

I apologize if this was too long-winded. I just wanted to share how the "Magic" has helped me more than I can express. Maybe some of you will get it or maybe not - just putting it out there.

Post Thanks / Like

According to an article on MSN this morning....... "As of Summer 2014, the Magic Kingdom is the world's most popular theme park. It's held the No. 1 spot for a few years now, followed closely by Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland."

Quoted under "Fair Use".

best,

.............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: