Quantcast Would love opinions please!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Would love opinions please!

HI All! So, we looked at DVC last year when the GF was available. We didnt buy in at the time, bc we really wanted to hold out for the Poly. So, now it is available. I would love any opinions/input, based on how we vacation, if DVC would fit our style.

There are two of us-DH and I,-no kids.
    We always go in Sept or October so we can attend the Halloween party. It works good for our work schedule, and Sept. is our anniversary.
    Sometimes we go in October with our friends and their kids. It depends on the schedule. We are just now looking at dates to go for this fall. This year we are going in September.
    We get the QS dining plan and pay for one or two sit down meals OOP.
    We do not cook in the room, or need to do laundry, so no need for anything more than a regular room.
    We usually do 5 days/nights (come in on Wed am, leave Monday am)
    We really love the Poly and always stay there. We have tried many other deluxe resorts, and the Poly is our favorite.
    We prefer to stay at a monorail resorts.

So..the question based on these things:

Would DVC be a good choice for us? My concerns are the 7/11 month booking window. We are not able to really pick out dates out that soon, so I know that there is a good chance that if we go past that 7 month mark, that the Poly would not be available. My understanding is that they put you at another DVC resort then. To be honest, thats not something that would make us happy. We have stayed at almost all the deluxe resorts over the years, and love the Poly for many reasons. We would be disappointed if that is not available.
    We would also like to try club level at some point
    We have never had a problem booking the Poly for she we want to go. That could change, though...
    We normally go during the time where there is a 30 percent room discount.I know the discounts are getting fewer, and not as high as they used to be, but we never pay rack rate for a room. We always take the room discount over free dining, bc we do the quick service plan. The discount on the deluxe room is a better deal than the free dining for us.

So...any input on how we like to vacation,and if its a good fit would be greatly appreciated!! Once we decide of its a good fit, then we will look at the financials -which I know is a whole other consideration.
    2 TRIPS AS A CHILD!
    00-CBR 1st trip with now husband!
    05 ASM
    07 CR & 1st MNSSHP
    08 POFQ MNSSHP
    09 BW MNSSHP
    10 AKL MNSSHP
    11 CS MNSSHP!
    12 Two DL Trips & MNSSHP
    13 POLY MNSSHP
    14 WL MNSSHP
    15 POLY MNSSHP
    16 CS & 10th MNSSHP
    17 POR & MNSSHP
    18 AKL 1st MVMCP
    19 POR MNSSHP

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

You were doing well until you got to the point where you mentioned that you didn't think you would pick dates by the 7-month point(if I understood correctly). I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Poly will be fairly popular and you would most likely need to book prior to 7-months. The way DVC works, is if what you want isn't available, you need to select another resort -they don't give you something else. In 10-years, I've never had an issue getting what I wanted at 7-months(with some flexibility). It sounds like you're perfect candidates other than the way you book. At the very least, you may need to be flexible with where you stay -I realize you love Poly, but all the resorts are nice in their own way.
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree, DVC doesn't seem to be for you right now. If you're only looking to stay at Poly then you'll need to purchase points at $165/pt. Since the 11/7 booking will be an issue IMO it will be tough for you to get in especially if you're looking during F&W when studios across property are tough to come by. Plus, paying so much per point you wouldn't be happy staying elsewhere. I would suggest you continue doing what your doing and maybe revisit the idea when the points start hitting resale.

Side note: You mentioned you've never had a problem getting in the Poly. I'm interested if that will stay the same now that they took 360 rooms out of service for DVC.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I have to agree, DVC doesn't seem to be for you right now. If you're only looking to stay at Poly then you'll need to purchase points at $165/pt. Since the 11/7 booking will be an issue IMO it will be tough for you to get in especially if you're looking during F&W when studios across property are tough to come by. Plus, paying so much per point you wouldn't be happy staying elsewhere. I would suggest you continue doing what your doing and maybe revisit the idea when the points start hitting resale.

Side note: You mentioned you've never had a problem getting in the Poly. I'm interested if that will stay the same now that they took 360 rooms out of service for DVC.
    I have to agree, for right now IMHO you would be better off using a travel agent (see sponsors) to get the best deal on the room you want. If you can't do the 11 month booking to get a studio during food and wine time of year then it would be a waste of money to buy DVC.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the opinions! That is what I was thinking. Really its the booking window that I think seems to be the biggest hurdle. I understand that you would need to select another resort if its full...DVC only has studios, 1 or 2 BR, correct? I can imagine it is pretty booked during food and wine festival. If we were to choose another resort, we would want it on the Monorail (So BLT or GF) I imagine these are not as available as some of the other DVC resorts at that time...Saratoga Springs or OKW? We have been enough times to know what works for us, so I am thinking due to the booking window and our preference for Monorail resorts, that it would be difficult to get anything less than 7 months out. We are just now sitting down the talk about dates for the Sept. Will will nail them down this week! I too, am interested to see if there will be a harder time getting into the Poly now that DVC has taken those rooms. I may need to start booking earlier even if I'm not a DVC member!
    2 TRIPS AS A CHILD!
    00-CBR 1st trip with now husband!
    05 ASM
    07 CR & 1st MNSSHP
    08 POFQ MNSSHP
    09 BW MNSSHP
    10 AKL MNSSHP
    11 CS MNSSHP!
    12 Two DL Trips & MNSSHP
    13 POLY MNSSHP
    14 WL MNSSHP
    15 POLY MNSSHP
    16 CS & 10th MNSSHP
    17 POR & MNSSHP
    18 AKL 1st MVMCP
    19 POR MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with not buying into DVC right now because of your booking agenda but I do think that renting DVC points would work out good for you.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: