Quantcast Shark Reef

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Shark Reef

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shark Reef

We are interested in doing Shark Reef at TL. Can someone tell me what it's all about? Cost, timing, training required, other tips, a must do?
    Keneva

---------------------------------
    WDW
    Aug 2022 CR Wing
    Aug 2014 BC & GF Club
    Aug 2012 Swan & Grand Floridian Club
    Aug 2010 Poly LVC
    Aug 2008 Poly LVC
    Aug 2006 CR Club
    Jan 2001 Poly LVC (Honeymoon)
    Oct 1995 Off-site

DL
    1967-69 Several Visits (Green Lantern Motel?)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keneva View Post
    We are interested in doing Shark Reef at TL. Can someone tell me what it's all about? Cost, timing, training required, other tips, a must do?
    There is no added cost you just have to have a ticket to TL. Its a swim through salt water with fish and sharks (nurse sharks if i'm not mistaken) it takes a few mins the first time you go through to listen to the instructions of a lifeguard to properly breath through a snorkel and what you can and cant do in the pool (no splashing and so on) I think its fun to go and see fish that close its not something you can really do unless you have SCUBA training.
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

to the above post... the only other thing can tell you from my kids doing this, is that the water was FREEZING, so just be prepared for that. They really enjoyed doing it. If you have time in your day and want to do something really cool. I say go for it!!!
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Kids and I did this years ago, none of us having any snorkeling or scuba experience. Was a lot of fun, after I got over my terror. (Terror only lasted a few seconds) I believe they say you don't need swimming experience because you can pretty much dog paddle along, but I felt swimming experience helped.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiredfigment View Post
    Kids and I did this years ago, none of us having any snorkeling or scuba experience. Was a lot of fun, after I got over my terror. (Terror only lasted a few seconds) I believe they say you don't need swimming experience because you can pretty much dog paddle along, but I felt swimming experience helped.
    you dont have to have swimming experience because they will provide life jackets if it would make it easier..
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and daughters loved it, I on the other hand had a hard time breathing in water that cold with a snorkel. Maybe it was just me but too cold to do again.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Shark Reef

First of all, I'm an experienced swimmer, Old Lifeguard and certified Scuba Diver. As PP said, you do not have to be great swimmer. Since it's Salt Water you float much better than fresh water. You just have to pull with your arms to get from one end to the other and a very short pool. The water is colder due to the sea life swimming about, but it's Florida so the cooler wafeel goods good on a typical hot day. Just splash water up on you when entering the pool to get body used to it. You are instructed to NOT kick your feet, just use your arms so to not disturb the fish. It's easy even for the novis swimmer.
    I highly recommend it and would do it again! I did it back to back on our trip.
    One bit of advise, lag back and be one of the last swimmers to leave the entrance area. Swim slow, enjoy the fish you will probably never swim with any where else. The small nurse sharks are harmless and swim on the bottom and don't feed on feet. You are NOT allowed to dive down to the bottom. I even took a cheap disposable waterproof camera and got a few good pics of some of the fish and tank. There is a structure that non-swimmers can walk through that has port holes in it and they can view your swim with the sharks without getting wet!
    Don't worry, enjoy your swim!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: