Quantcast Found: two finger tips - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd just chalk it up to overly zealous sword welding pirates.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Next renovation, we will find 1ft tall plastic barriers around the perimeter of the boat, so people can safely hang fingers 'outside the boat'.

I cannot imagine what they will do to the small world ride boats!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mozman View Post
    Next renovation, we will find 1ft tall plastic barriers around the perimeter of the boat, so people can safely hang fingers 'outside the boat'.

I cannot imagine what they will do to the small world ride boats!
    I was thinking that I wonder if they will do something to make it "safe" now.
    Sad when common sense no longer prevails.
    Rates right up there with "Umm, of course the hot coffee burned you. It was HOT!"

I can remember my mom telling me "Don't stick your hands/arms out the car window, you never know what they could hit."

It didn't take me losing any appendages or limbs to learn.

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    I was thinking that I wonder if they will do something to make it "safe" now.
    Sad when common sense no longer prevails.
    Rates right up there with "Umm, of course the hot coffee burned you. It was HOT!"

I can remember my mom telling me "Don't stick your hands/arms out the car window, you never know what they could hit."

It didn't take me losing any appendages or limbs to learn.
    Some people just don't have any common sense. What can they do other than put a lexan surround around the boats so you can't even reach outside. I don't recall this happening that I can remember. Something similar has probably happened before but they are isolated incidents. You can't completely idiot proof everything.

This makes me think about how I see women in the passenger seat of cars going down the road with their feet up on the dash. I see it all the time. It doesn't occur to them that if the vehicle they are in was to suddenly be involved in an accident, their legs would be next to their ears in about half a second when the air bags deploy out of the dash. I can't imagine what all would get broken and torn when someone gets folded up like a lawn chair faster than they can blink their eyes but yet you see it all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Some people just don't have any common sense. What can they do other than put a lexan surround around the boats so you can't even reach outside. I don't recall this happening that I can remember. Something similar has probably happened before but they are isolated incidents. You can't completely idiot proof everything.

This makes me think about how I see women in the passenger seat of cars going down the road with their feet up on the dash. I see it all the time. It doesn't occur to them that if the vehicle they are in was to suddenly be involved in an accident, their legs would be next to their ears in about half a second when the air bags deploy out of the dash. I can't imagine what all would get broken and torn when someone gets folded up like a lawn chair faster than they can blink their eyes but yet you see it all the time.
    I agree! That is such a pet peeve of mine anyway. My husband laughs at me every time because I roll my eyes when I see it. Not only is it unsafe but I always thought it looks so....not classy, for lack of a better word.

Post Thanks / Like

Every time they make something idiot proof, up pops a better idiot....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I just can't picture anything coming that close to the boat. IF he just had his hands hanging "onto" the boat...anything coming THAT close could cause injury to someone who's shoulders are broader than the average and sitting on the edge.

Now what I HAVE seen people do a LOT on that ride is try to "touch the water" or one of the objects. There's got to be more to the story. I always hate it when they don't report the whole thing. SIGH.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    I agree! That is such a pet peeve of mine anyway. My husband laughs at me every time because I roll my eyes when I see it. Not only is it unsafe but I always thought it looks so....not classy, for lack of a better word.
    Girl I sat next to in eighth grade was killed by sitting like this. She was thrown though the windshield of her boyfriends van feet first. Tragic...

Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
    Girl I sat next to in eighth grade was killed by sitting like this. She was thrown though the windshield of her boyfriends van feet first. Tragic...

Scott C
    That is so sad.

Negligence when it comes to be safe in vehicles [as safe as one can be], is something that gets me riled up. Especially when it comes to children and carseats!

Post Thanks / Like

People think they can intuitively manage risk, but most humans do it poorly. The more you get away with a risky behavior, the safer it seems. It takes a lot of effort to overcome that natural human tendency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    People think they can intuitively manage risk, but most humans do it poorly. The more you get away with a risky behavior, the safer it seems. It takes a lot of effort to overcome that natural human tendency.
    Some might just chalk it up to Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Indeed. That's what my husband and I say sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Keep in mind this is the same human tendency that caused NASA to keep launching shuttles with an O-ring design flaw and with foam falling off the external tank. They were getting away with it, so they kept on going and people died. So this really goes beyond just dumb people doing dumb things. It can manifest in an organization to disastrous effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ooops!

Not knowing all the facts, this thread seems kind of harsh to the poor fellow who was injured. Maybe he was not doing some crazy, heinous stunt like trying to...gasp...touch the water, during the ride. Maybe he simply allowed his hand to drape over the side of the boat slightly? Perhaps not 100% in the RULES of WDW, but this is his vacation and I can't really blame him for assuming WDW is a safe, not merely magical, place to be??? I am sure I have occasionally made a mistake in the WORLD, sure hope I don't lose body parts for my next transgression !!!!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    Not knowing all the facts, this thread seems kind of harsh to the poor fellow who was injured. Maybe he was not doing some crazy, heinous stunt like trying to...gasp...touch the water, during the ride. Maybe he simply allowed his hand to drape over the side of the boat slightly? Perhaps not 100% in the RULES of WDW, but this is his vacation and I can't really blame him for assuming WDW is a safe, not merely magical, place to be??? I am sure I have occasionally made a mistake in the WORLD, sure hope I don't lose body parts for my next transgression !!!!
    If it were a 'casual' oversight, it would happen all the time and would have been fixed. The first insurance claim would have mandated it before it reopened. I'd say that before the ride was reopened, Disney has already figured out what happened and their legal department has already issued their opinion on whose fault it is and their chances in court. What really happens is another story, but they don't want two people to lose fingers, that won't bode well for them.

It's tough to lose your footing and slip if you're actually sitting down and keeping hands and feet inside the boat.

Actually refraction I believe makes objects appear closer than they are so the things you see in the water are probably much further out of reach than they look.

Post Thanks / Like

.......next new addition to the POTC ride boats:

Woven Nylon Hand Restraint Straps (like they have on some hospital beds).

.....and ...it will also deter the completely clueless from taking flash pictures too!!!
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    Oh it IS fun and magical. But that doesn't mean you stop following the rules or only follow them sometimes.
    The safety rules are there for a reason. "For your safety, please keep hands, arms, feet inside of the boat/car/etc at all times."

We probably are being a bit harsh, but at the end of the day, if a safety rule wasn't followed then there *are* consequences.
    it's like a child, sure we all make mistakes, but if you choose to "make a mistake" even after being told, prepare for a consequence. That IMO isn't harsh.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard from one of the local Orlando news channels that the solution for now will be to not allow guests to load the last row of the boats.

What comes to mind? Longer lines at POTC now for everyone because of something that could have been completely prevented.

Believe me when I say that I am sorry that someone lost fingertips on POTC; however, it seems like a given that you would not hang hands or feet off ANYTHING moving, such as: cars, golf carts, or a boat at WDW.

Like many of you, I have been going to WDW since I was two years old. With the exception of sometimes striking the car in front of me at Tomorrowland Speedway when I was a kid, I have always followed the rules and used common sense.

It's too bad that the actions of others have to lead to alterations to the overall guest experience at WDW for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this in an article posted this week. What I find interesting is another person, boy who is 12, lost four fingers in POTC. I still cannot fathom without doing something stupid and against the rules outlined many times before the ride how somebody can lost fingers on a sedate ride like this. It is a very slow moving boat dark ride.

Many of these injuries seem pretty mundane and not the fault of the park.

I just want to know why motion sickness is on here. The reason these problems are reported is because it required a hospital stay of 24 hours. I wonder how motion sickness could be that bad as to require a hospital stay.

Here are the reported injuries, according to the Sentinel.
    Girl, 8, lost consciousness on Magic Carpets of Aladdin.
    Woman, 51, was dizzy, short of breath and nauseated at Expedition Everest-Legend of the Forbidden Mountain.
    Woman, 54, had motion sickness at Epcot’s Mission: Space.
    Woman, 62, hurt knee in fall at Seas with Nemo & Friends.
    Woman, 64, fell and fractured her leg at the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway.
    Woman, 68, with a preexisting condition felt chest tightness on the Kilimanjaro Safari.
    Woman, 70, had chest pains at Epcot’s Mission: Space.
    Woman, 72, with a preexisting condition passed out after leaving Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
    Boy, 12, lost four fingers at Pirates of the Caribbean.
    Man, 44, fractured leg at Typhoon Lagoon.
    Man, 58, with a preexisting condition felt nausea and tightness in his chest at Epcot’s Mission: Space.
    Man, 68, got a blood clot in his leg after falling out of the Astro Orbiter.

Here are the reported injuries at Universal:
    Woman, 43, had head and neck pains at Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.
    Boy, 15, had “lower level consciousness” at Revenge of the Mummy.
    Man, 18, had chest pains at Revenge of the Mummy.
    Man, 61, felt weak after E.T. Adventure.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz38CAxxY9O

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to remember exactly where it happened but i remembering running aground once while on PotC. It was during summer so the boats where backing up and almost all full. I believe in the burning city or right before the dirty foot bridge my boat hit the boat in front of us. When the bottom behind hit us our boat went up on the guard rails and got stuck. Took the cast members awhile before they realized we were stuck and sent someone to dislodge us. I remember we could touch the streets on the left side of the boat.

Thinking of this incident I imagine someone could get their fingers pinched near that spot. The back row seats are slightly higher from what I remember so I don't think someone could get caught between boats if they were but it's possible.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: