Quantcast Too many rides down!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Too many rides down!

Ok, we have been here three days now. The amount of "rides down" has been staggering. Major rdes down at park opening and extra magic hour and ride closures for hours at a time. It's nuts. I don't normally complain about this kind of thing but there is clearly a problem here and it is sad to see. They really need to get a handle on this issue. It has been a frustrating few days so far.

On top of that, Disneyland doesn't have an official wait times app. And their mobile site doesn't even list the rides that are down so there is no way to know in advance. Not fun.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's not cool. So sorry for you, hope you can still have a good time.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

We are still having fun, it's just a frustrating experience. On top of that, crowds are massive. I guess there is no more slow period at DLR. Good for the company, bad for the guests. I have to say, overall, the parks feel more WDW like than they used to.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear but glad you're able to make the best of it. I'm really starting to think we've made a mistake booking DL for our June trip.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Sorry to hear but glad you're able to make the best of it. I'm really starting to think we've made a mistake booking DL for our June trip.
    When are you going in June?
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is magnified by the large number of rides already closed for refurbishment too. There is nowhere for all these people to go so rides have enormous wait times.

The most frustrating is big thunder and the monorail. Always down.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerlovr9000 View Post
    When are you going in June?
    We're there from June 27 - July 3
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Bad show, Disneyland.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Bad show, Disneyland.
    Exactly. To be honest, the refurb schedule is too aggressive this time. The crowds have just gotten to the point where they cannot afford to have so many high capacity rides closed all at the same time.

Extra Magic Hour is a joke. There are WAY too many people in the parks to support it. They need to limit that perk to resort guests, IMO. Everyone who holds a multi day ticket gets EMH. That needs to end. The EMH at DL yesterday looked like the MK on New Years Eve. The lines just to get in extended all the way to the DCA gates. We could barely move around. 60 min+ lines for everything! All we rode was the carousel and teacups. Even those, 20 min waits. We tried to do Big Thunder once the park officially opened...down. We just left less than 2 hours after we arrived because the place was a madhouse. I have never seen the parks like that in the middle of the week outside of a major holiday period. Even mid summer never used to be like that.

We are making the best of it but I have to be honest when I say I'm not 100% sure I want to come back here in October. I am seriously second guessing the trip. I already bought an AP but even that might not be enough to convince me to lay out the money for a whole week here.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I've been out of the country for the last couple of weeks, but I know the last time we were there I noticed the crowds seemed very high. It definitely makes things worse when several of the big attractions are down.

I have been reading on other sites a lot of disappointed people in what seems to be an usual amount of attractions down, outside of the rehab schedule which already had several rides down. Much tougher for people who travel a long way.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be any real slow periods ... Its more of just getting lucky on a day when the crowds are very light.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    We're there from June 27 - July 3
    You should be fine. Looks like all but 3 rides will be up and running by the time you arrive. I did call DL and voice my disapproval of so many rides being down. They said two of the refurbishments had not been scheduled but because of breakdowns had to be fixed..which was why they had such a high number of rides down..this would still not make me feel better if I had scheduled a trip at this time...there should be some kind of discount when this happens, but I won't hold my breath.
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

A discount would be too difficult to implement. But, an easy solution would be to simply extend park hours on days where crowds are projected to be high and there are numerous rides down. 10am-9pm at DL and 10am-8pm at DCA makes it very hard to have a successful day when FP for major attractions are gone by 11am and there are 60+ minute waits for even minor attractions. WDW is good about adjusting operating hours to accommodate crowd levels. DL doesn't seem to ever do the same.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, we had friends pop into Disneyland Resort during their Cali trip 2 weeks ago. They had never been and my son had given them a couple of tickets. They arrived just after lunch due to their lack of knowledge.

She said in 6 hours they were only able to ride Space and Splash in Disneyland. They had a bite to eat and walked over to CA to see if the crowds were any lighter and waited to ride California Screaming and that was it.. the day was over. I thought she must have picked an extremely busy day, but it sounds like it's just a busy time.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    A discount would be too difficult to implement. But, an easy solution would be to simply extend park hours on days where crowds are projected to be high and there are numerous rides down. 10am-9pm at DL and 10am-8pm at DCA makes it very hard to have a successful day when FP for major attractions are gone by 11am and there are 60+ minute waits for even minor attractions. WDW is good about adjusting operating hours to accommodate crowd levels. DL doesn't seem to ever do the same.
    Was joking about discount, know it will never happen. Extending the hours sounds like a good idea to me. Just makes me sad that first timers will only have this impression of DL because I love it so much..
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerlovr9000 View Post
    Just makes me sad that first timers will only have this impression of DL because I love it so much..
    I agree. I am a Disneyland cheerleader all the way. I adore the DLR and have for many years. It is sad, though, to hear people all around me voicing their disappointment about the current situation. It's not just a few people here and there, either.

I am definitely going to write a letter upon returning home. The way the parks are being managed right now is just pitiful.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize they were giving EMHs to everyone who holds a muli-day pass? I thought it was only select package tickets and it was only one entry per length of pass on a select day (opposite days of the resort guests).
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    I didn't realize they were giving EMHs to everyone who holds a muli-day pass? I thought it was only select package tickets and it was only one entry per length of pass on a select day (opposite days of the resort guests).

Early entry is daily at a predetermined park for guests of any of the three Disneyland Resort hotels. Early entry is for one day only (guests choice) during the length of their pass for those who have purchased a three day or longer pass in advance or for those holding a CityPass. All early entry guests visit the same park on the same day.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkwest View Post
    Early entry is daily at a predetermined park for guests of any of the three Disneyland Resort hotels. Early entry is for one day only (guests choice) during the length of their pass for those who have purchased a three day or longer pass in advance or for those holding a CityPass. All early entry guests visit the same park on the same day.
    Yep. I would say about half of the people around us did NOT show room keys for EMH. They just showed their tickets.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Extending hours would seem like the best solution, but it is only the easiest solution. If you continually extend park hours, it leaves less time for daily maintenance which in turn leads to possibly more breakdowns. Just seems it would be a downward spiral until nothing works properly. Just my

Post Thanks / Like

We arrived here in Cali on Sat, and spent all day sunday at Dl. This is our first time, as we usually go to WDW.

Aside from the massive refurb schedule, several broke down attractions. Indiana Jones and splash were down for a good portion of the day. We had no issue w/ Thunder, but others had said it had been down.

All the more reason to not settle for a land, when you can have the world. We are looking fwd to our next trip to WDW to get the cali experience out of our minds.. This is the beta site. The first Disney park.. They got it right when they built florida. We'll see how the rest of our week goes.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite