Quantcast Das

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Das

Post Thanks / Like

Default Das

I was hoping I could get some answers about the DAS card and wondering if I am eligible to ask for one. My ankle joint is permanently fused in 2 places. As a result I suffer from chronic pain. Some days are good and others (most of the time) not so much. In the past, I have always rented a scooter to do AK. The park is just way too large and I am unable to walk after getting half way into the park. We also stay at French Quarter due to it's small size and my mobility issue. Most of the time I walk with a limp, and of course, the limp is that much more obvious when I am in pain. Also - just looking at my ankle you can see the scars and swelling. Waiting in a line for 60 minutes is nearly impossible for me. When I can't stand on my ankle any longer- I lift my foot off the ground and stand in much the same way a flamingo stands. It's kinda comical to witness - at least that is what my family says. lol!
    I certainly don't want to embarrass myself by asking for the card and having a CM look at me like I'm crazy to request one. Would it be a good Idea to request a note from my pain management or orthopedic dr.? I don't want people to think I am trying to abuse the system or "get one over" just so I don't have to stand in line. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/comments.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's tough to say. Technically, the inability to stand for long periods of time would/could be remedied by use of a wheeelchair or scooter. That will probably be Disney's response. The DAS is designed for those with disabilities that are hidden, and not remedied by use of a mobility device. So, who knows what will happen? Doctor's notes will not help. Disney will not look at them or consider them.

From your description of your issue, I would recommend either renting a wheelchair to sit in when your pain gets to be too much, or just skipping extra long queue lines if you are in a lot of pain. The DAS will not eliminate a 60 min wait. It will just mean you have to wait somewhere else.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a silly question but what exactly is the DAS for? My mom will be on a scooter when we go in October due to multiple foot surgeries and other health conditions that make it difficult for her to do a lot of walking or standing in line. We did not get the card last time until we got kicked out of a section reserved for wheelchairs and scooters to park to watch Illuminations. The CM was very rude about it and told her she couldn't be there without a card, which we promptly went and got but by the time we returned the area was full and she had no where to park. Another CM told us she didn't need the card to park there but we will get it anyway this time to avoid another problem. Am I correct or is that really the only thing she'll need it for?

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Your mother should not need the DAS for the handicapped seating area.

The DAS is the new GAC. It is meant solely for ride queues. It is meant for individuals who cannot wait in the standard queue for any number of reasons related to mental or developmental issues. It provides an alternate waiting strategy away from the main queue. It is useful for those with conditions such as Autism, for example, where sensory issues prevent being able to successfully navigate a traditional queue. That is just one example, but the majority of people who have a DAS do not have mobility issues as the main obstacle to overcome. Disney is no longer issuing cards to those who use a mobility device unless there is a concurrent condition that requires an alternate waiting strategy.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Understood. I can see how the old system would really be abused. I had only intended to use the card when I really needed it but how would Disney know that?! I have never used my disability for a gain but some do and that's a shame. I do applaud Disney that they are seeing the need for a change and enhancing some's experience. BTW- I usually do get a wheelchair or scooter when the pain gets out of hand. But even if I ride all day on a scooter - that still doesn't mean that I can stand for an hour in a line. My pain is there whether I sit or stand. But just looking at me you would never know the severity of my issue. It's one of those things where you would have to "walk a mile in my shoes" to understand and that's o.k. I also understand that this is not like a fast pass. I would just love the idea of being able to sit versus standing while waiting. No worries.

Post Thanks / Like

You can take the scooter or wheelchair INTO the ride queues. No need to stand while you wait! Almost all the queues at WDW can accomodate a wheelchair or scooter. You simply leave it parked at the attraction loading area while you ride.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Had no idea! Super! Thanks for your response - It is greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney View Post
    Had no idea! Super! Thanks for your response - It is greatly appreciated!
    You're welcome! If a line cannot accommodate a scooter, you will be directed where to go.
    Natalie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: