Quantcast First time at Dolphin questions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time at Dolphin questions

DH are flying to WDW without kids for Labor Day weekend (I got a great teacher discount), and I have a couple of questions. I have read we will be able to use FP+ but not magic bands. Is that info correct? Also, any tips or a dive about this resort would be most welcome!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not stayed at the Dolphin/Swan since Disney started testing the Magic Bands. But my understanding is that they are not part of the magicband/advance fastpass reservation system. However, it might be helpful for you to know that when I was in Disney at the beginning of March I noticed that at the entrance to each park there was a designated spot for Swan/Dolphin guests to make fastpass choices upon arrival at the park. For example, at the Epcot international gateway entrance there was a castmember with an iPad at a table designated Swan/Dolphin.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to INTERCOT!

A lot can change between now and Labor Day; you may be able to get Magic Bands by the time your trip rolls around.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, MBs and FP+ are now being tested with offsite Guests, so you will surely be able to use them for your trip (unless something else changes during this "testing" phase).

I love Swan/Dolphin - this area is my favorite location on WDW property - walking distance to Epcot (and Studios), beautiful lake view, peaceful...enjoy.
    Shelley, Happy DW of bear_necessity.
    DVC owners: SSR since 2007
    Remain seated please. Permenecer sentados, por favor.

Last trip: DLHotel in May
    Next trip: ?? Vero maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your dreams have come true...

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=204360

For about $13 each, you can buy them! Not sure why anyone would do this when you can do exactly the same thing with you ticket, but ok...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post

Welcome to INTERCOT!

A lot can change between now and Labor Day; you may be able to get Magic Bands by the time your trip rolls around.
    I agree. I wouldn't even think about this until June since everything is changing so fast.

I love the Swan/Dolphin! Picabu is a really fun and different quick service and the Fountain is just divine (malts and milkshakes!). The pool(s) are really great and you can't beat walking to both Epcot and DHS.
    Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN
    2018 - Fall trip - in the planning process!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know that Swan/Dolphin guests get a lot of the same perks as other Disney Resort guests (EMH, hotel package deliveries), but can you also qualify for the DDP if you choose to purchase it?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

You have to purchase a Magic Your Way package in order to get the dining plan. It's not sold on its own but rather within the package. And you won't be purchasing a Magic Your Way package because the Swan is not considered a full Disney resort. (Very complicated relationship if you ask me.) But on the bright side I actually spend less just paying for food on my own than paying for the dining plan so it may work out in your favor.
    Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lindslou View Post
    You have to purchase a Magic Your Way package in order to get the dining plan. It's not sold on its own but rather within the package. And you won't be purchasing a Magic Your Way package because the Swan is not considered a full Disney resort. (Very complicated relationship if you ask me.) But on the bright side I actually spend less just paying for food on my own than paying for the dining plan so it may work out in your favor.
    Not a complicated relationship at all. The Swan and Dolphin are owned and operated by Tishman Group. They are not Disney resorts and since the DDP is a perk for staying at a Disney owned resort you don't get it at the Swan and Dolphin.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Not a complicated relationship at all. The Swan and Dolphin are owned and operated by Tishman Group. They are not Disney resorts and since the DDP is a perk for staying at a Disney owned resort you don't get it at the Swan and Dolphin.
    Yeah, but the EMH is also a perk for staying at a Disney owned resort, yet you DO get that at the Swan and Dolphin. Thus the question.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Yeah, but the EMH is also a perk for staying at a Disney owned resort, yet you DO get that at the Swan and Dolphin. Thus the question.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong... I love the Swan and Dolphin. It's just a little different from other resorts because some Disney perks apply and some don't. But I'll take that complicated relationship any time if it means that I can afford to stay at the Boardwalk and walk to DHS and Epcot.
    Linda

2010 - POFQ
    2012 - POP
    2013 - SWAN
    2014 - SWAN
    2015 - DLR (offsite)
    2016 - SWAN
    2017 - DLR (offsite)
    2018 - DOLPHIN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lindslou View Post
    Yeah, don't get me wrong... I love the Swan and Dolphin. It's just a little different from other resorts because some Disney perks apply and some don't. But I'll take that complicated relationship any time if it means that I can afford to stay at the Boardwalk and walk to DHS and Epcot.
    Right, I was just hoping that was a perk that one could get by staying there.
    DL - 1996, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Because the Swan and Dolphin pay for that perk for their guests. However, Disney will not sell them the DDP.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I are staying at the Dolphin starting June 12th, we were able to use the Fastpass plus system and are using our Magic Bands from our December Disney trip.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy the new $23 per night resort fee!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
    Enjoy the new $23 per night resort fee!
    It's still much cheaper than the Disney owned resorts! We just paid $149/night and with the $23 fee was still less than $200. We were upgraded to Lake view with a balcony. We stay at the Dolphin at least once a month and you cannot beat the resort!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed there plenty of times having even stayed grand opening week. You really can't beat that teacher discount!
    (Haven't been there recently since the switch to magic bands, so I can't offer advice on that one, though but I did see this: http://www.swandolphin.com/aboutus/fastpass.html)
    For that $23 resort package, make sure they give you the 2 bottles of water a day. It may be silly, but you're paying for them, and they sometimes were lax on that. You do get free internet access and health club access with that though too.
    Join the Starwood Preferred Guest Club and you can get points for your stay. (It's helped bump us up to free internet, nicer rooms, etc..at other Starwood resorts)

We really enjoyed Il Mulino New York Trattoria at the Swan for a special meal (wine, pasta..mmmm) Bluezoo was nice for a drink at the bar too. The pool bar by the Dolphin, with it's casually elegant seating also was a great place for a relaxing lunch/drink.
    If you plan to use the pool, shaded lounge seats can go fast so keep that in mind. The pool is fantastic, btw!

At one point there were nightly movies on the beach, which was nice and relaxing. Not sure if they still do that, but you could also walk over to the Yacht/Beach club for their movie, or stroll around the Boardwalk too.
    Honestly, the proximity of the Dolphin to the Boardwalk/Epcot for the price of the room is really fantastic.
    You can walk to the Studios too, if you're so inclined. It's a hike, but great exercise.
    Going on 25+ visits
    1980-1999
    Villas, Contemporary, The Dolphin, Caribbean Beach, All Star Sports, ALM, Dixie Landings
    2000 All Star Movies
    2000 Dixie Landings
    2001 Disney Institute Villas
    2001, 2002, 2003 Riverside
    2004-2013 Dolphin
    2010 First trip to Disneyland! - Grand Californian

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: