Quantcast Newbie to Universal...Many Questions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie to Universal...Many Questions

My family is considering a trip to Universal before heading to WDW. We'll be traveling in late August, and have some questions:

1. How are the crowds?
    2. I'm confused about the "backpack policy" - can someone explain?
    3. Give me your top 5 restaurants in the parks and at City Walk.
    4. Kids are 16 and 14 and love rides and coasters...do we need 1 day in each park?

Any other pointers will be helpful - thanks!

February '12 - Coronado again!
    April '10 - POFQ
    April '09 - Coronado Springs - loved it!
    Feb '07 - POFQ
    Feb '06 - POFQ
    Nov '04 - POP
    Mar '02 - POR
    Aug '92 - Contemporary - Honeymoon
    Many trips prior as a child!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Crowds will probably still be high with the opening of the new Harry Potter expansion.

2.I don't know which policy you are referring to but we have carried backpacks into the park many times. You cannot hold them on the roller coasters, you have to put them in a locker or let a non-rider hold them. Some of the lockers are free for a select amt of time. I know the one by the Hulk coaster is free, can't remember which others are.

3. If you love the food at Disney, you may be disappointed with Universal. We find the counter services spots ok but not great. A lot of them have the same menus. As for sit down spots, we like Confisco Grill & Mythos in IoA. At City Walk we like Pat Obriens, Margaritaville, and we liked the Mexican spot but it has been replaced with a new restaurant. Generally, we go offsite a lot for dinner since it is cheaper.

4. I would def do 2 days. With the HP expansion, crowds will be heavy. There is a lot more to do (rides) in IoA. We are big thrill ride fans also and spend a day in IoA. US does not have as many thrill rides but they do have some good shows. Plus with the HP at US, you will probably need the full day to get everything in.

My suggestion would be to stay 1 night at an onsite hotel to take advantage of the express pass which will give you front line access on check-in day and check-out day.
    Sassy2000

Prior to 2007 off site
    Oct 07 AS Music
    Apr 08 AS Movies
    Dec 08 CSR & POR
    Feb 09 Pop

Nov/Dec 09 CBR &AKL
    May 10 CSR
    Oct 10 Poly!!
    May 11 AS Music
    Oct 11 AKV & BWV
    Feb 12 AKV
    Feb 13 POR Royal Room

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZippitydoodaGal View Post
    My family is considering a trip to Universal before heading to WDW. We'll be traveling in late August, and have some questions:

1. How are the crowds?
    4. Kids are 16 and 14 and love rides and coasters...do we need 1 day in each park?

1. Crowds still remain high, and this summer will more than likely increase with the opening of Diagon Alley/Potter expansion...

2. Backpack policy regarding the rides? Not allowed to bring them on... You much place them in a locker before entering the queue, or at least before getting on the ride... otherwise, you can bring backpacks into the parks...

3. Three Broomsticks is pretty darn good... Mythos is pretty great... I would rate Mels as average... Margerittaville is good...

4. I would suggest taking one day for each park... Trying to do both parks in one day is crazy... You cannot get to appreciate the parks by rushing through them... Take the time, enjoy the parks... Walk through them...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Back packs, fanny packs, slim purses: nothing on the rollercoasters: they check closely. We had 1 non rider and 2 with cargo pants with large pockets to hold cameras, snacks, hats etc.
    Stay on site 1 night and get 2 days of fastpass line.
    I was not good at finding cool places or good food.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Our favorite restaurants at our last visit there were Three Broomsticks for counter-service and Finnegans for table-service (fun atmosphere and the food is decent pub food). We have also enjoyed Bubba Gump and Margaritaville before. On our upcoming trip in May my son and I plan to try out Mythos and Antojito's. Would dearly love to try The Cowfish too, but it doesn't sound like it will open until this summer.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZippitydoodaGal View Post

1. How are the crowds?

Crowds depend on the day. I would definitely plan on getting their early so you can get an early start. September was very manageable.

Backpacks, don't even attempt to bring anything on a ride @ Universal that won't fit in your pocket. Free lockers are available at rides. As far as bringing them into the parks, I don't think it's any different than WDW.

We like Margaritaville in Citywalk. Three Broomsticks was good in WWoHP. Other than that we just did grab n' go type food there.

I would not even attempt doing both parks in one day. You'll never hit everything. If you were only interested in the HP elements in each, perhaps one would do it.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Staying on site with the Express Pass unlimited is a godsent. Covers all the rides except Forbidden Journey and the Pterodactyl glider ride.

I'd expect significant crowds with new HP stuff opening.

Backpacks have been addressed already above.

Restaurants at Universal are nothing special...
    That being said, a few that stood out:
    Mythos was good
    Finnegan's was good
    Emeril's City Walk was very good
    Emeril's Tchoup Chop was excellent
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Would dearly love to try The Cowfish too, but it doesn't sound like it will open until this summer.
    The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar is opening at Citiwalk? We are stopping at the Raleigh location on our way home in May. Can't wait to try the blackened ahi tuna nachos.
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoy The Kitchen for the breakfast buffet (Hard Rock)
    2001 ASMo, 2003 Royal Pacific and Poly, 2004 Beach Club, 2005 Cabins at FW, 2007 Poly, 2008 Poly and Hard Rock, 2009 Portofino and Poly, 2014 Royal Pacific and Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

Restaurants in the park are only so-so. We always make it a point to sit at the bar at Margaritaville. The bartenders are great. Families can also have a good time sitting at a table in the dining room. They play Jimmy Buffett videos all the time and the place has a nice, laid-back atmospher. Afterwards, you can sit outside and people watch. Plus, it's located in a good spot between IOA and the Studios.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Agree with what the rest have said for advice.

Restaurants tended to be more expensive there. Our usuals, and are pretty reasonable price wise, Three Broomsticks (Hogsmeade), Richters Burgers (Studios) and FireEater grill (IOA), but I have heard that Fireeater might be gone now.

Definitely no less than 1 day per park.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: