Quantcast It's A Small World Is Turning 50!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's A Small World Is Turning 50!

From People Online:

Disney's It's a Small World Turns 50 –
    Join the Celebration

Rarely has reaching 50 been so smooth a ride.

The iconic Disney pleasure cruise, It's a Small World, is about to celebrate its golden anniversary – and not so quietly.

"On Thursday, April 10, 2014, hundreds of voices from Disneyland Resort in California, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, Tokyo Disney Resort in Japan, Disneyland Paris in France and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort will sing the unforgettable theme song of the 'happiest cruise that ever sailed the seven seas,' " Disney Parks and Resorts said Friday.

To initiate the merrymaking, a virtual sing-along is being launched Friday at SmallWorld50.com, where fans "may record videos of themselves singing the classic song" and create virtual dolls to benefit the United Nations Children's Fund.

For every video recorded and digital doll shared, the Walt Disney Company will make a donation to benefit UNICEF, $100,000 in total. This will be in addition to a $150,000 gift the company has already earmarked for the organization, which works in more than 190 countries and territories to save and improve children's lives.

A World of Hopes
    The public first heard the infectious theme song on April 22, 1964, the opening day of the 1964 New York World's Fair.

Along with a lifelike Abraham Lincoln who stood up and talked, dinosaurs that hovered over newly introduced Ford Mustangs, and a General Electric presentation about America's technological progress, Walt Disney – the fair's "farthest flung impresario," as The New York Times described him – also presented what would prove to be the expo's most popular draw: It's a Small World – a Salute to UNICEF, "in which visitors enjoy a 10-minute boat ride seeing scenes of foreign lands," reported the newspaper.

Of all people, it was semi-retired Hollywood star Joan Crawford – despite her reputation for mistreating her own kids – who pushed to have Disney honor the world's children.

As the widow of Pepsi-Cola's late CEO Alfred Steele, Crawford sat on the Pepsi board. When the company hesitated in hiring Disney for the pavilion it would sponsor at the fair, Crawford reputedly put her formidable foot down – and Pepsi sponsored It's a Small World.

"Disney's realistic robots," said Time magazine, "stalk the fair. [Small World] has about 350 of them, doll-size, flanking a boat ride that children seem to like more than anything else. Scottish dolls climb steep plaid mountains, Iranian dolls fly on Persian carpets, and French dolls cancan."

During peak periods, the ride – which during its development was called Children of the World – drew up to 40,000 fairgoers a day at 90 cents per adult (about $6.75 today) and 65 cents for those under 12. By the end of its two-year New York run, Small World had been seen by 10 million people.

Knowing it was too good to tear down along with the rest of the fair, "Mr. Disney," said The Times, "has all future rights to It's a Small World, which he may move to Disneyland, in California."

And so he did – situating it directly north of the Matterhorn in the newly expanded Fantasyland, where it opened under a sparkly new edifice on May 28, 1966.

In 1971, Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., debuted its own near-replica – same love-it-or-hate-it theme song by Richard and Robert Sherman; same art direction by Walt's favorite illustrator, Mary Blair; same authentic (if Disney-fied) costumes by Alice and Marc Davis.

So, too, did the later Disney parks in Tokyo (opened in 1983), Paris (1992) and ultimately – after its initial omission proved an unbearable disappointment to guests – Hong Kong (2008). Shanghai Disneyland, which reportedly will also feature the attraction, is due to open sometime late next year.

'Such a Universal Theme'
    "The Hong Kong sets look more vibrant thanks to lighting techniques, while a more sophisticated sound system belts out 'It's a world of hopes; it's a world of tears' in nine languages," Time reported in May 2008. "The 'Asia' component here has been expanded to include Cambodia, the Philippines, Hong Kong and a bigger China, but the Chinese acrobat dolls still spin plates, the Scandinavian dolls are still platinum blond, and the Africa section is still dark and jungly."

"This is such a universal theme – seeing the world through the innocent eyes of children," a Disney Imagineering senior exec told the newsweekly six years ago, although the sentiment certainly still holds true today. "It's a message that's timeless, and it's a message that's now. It needs to be heard."

On April 10, it will be. Seemingly everywhere. It's a small world, after all.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite rides. Happy Birthday It's a Small World!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yjgirl32 View Post
    One of my favorite rides. Happy Birthday It's a Small World!!!!
    I love it too, and have never gotten the 'hate.'

My very favorite version is in Hong Kong. If you've only experienced the WDW version, I do think you are missing out. Adding the classic characters really enhances this attraction, and Hong Kong having it built with the inclusion of the characters makes it just a tad better than the Disneyland version, IMO.

There is just one , and one golden , and a means for everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of my mom's all time favorites. I have very fond memories of bringing my babies on this ride. They loved it so much. We still make it a point to always ride in on every trip.

I think those who didn't grow up going to Disney just don't get this attraction, like many other things in Disney. Most of my nephews who have been to Disney only a few times think this is one of the lamest rides in Disney.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

No matter how many times my brain has gone numb listening to the theme "It's a small world after all" every Disney trip this is one of the few rides I have been on EVERY SINGLE TIME! First trip with mom and dad, first trip with my bride and then with my own kids. Now this past summer with my GRANDSON. Wow, it brings a tear to my eye...
    -- .. -.-. -.- . --.- -- --- ..-- ... .

83' off property
    00' OKW
    06' 09' AS Sport
    13' Contemporary
    15' POP
    18' POP

The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop... Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

The April 10th sing-a-long events as posted on SmallWorld50.com

Worldwide Sing-along and Events

On Thursday, April 10, 2014, guests and cast members at Disney Parks around the world will unite in song to celebrate the 50th anniversary of "it's a small world," the classic Disney Parks attraction that opened as a tribute to peace and hope at the 1964 New York World's Fair.

Highlights of the worldwide sing-along extravaganza include:

• Hong Kong Disneyland® Resort: Students from Hong Kong schools will gather to pay tribute to "it's a small world" in Cantonese, along with a traditional Chinese dragon joining the celebration to offer a blessing for the anniversary.

• Tokyo Disney Resort®: Tokyo Disneyland® Park cast and guests will celebrate and sing "it's a small world" in Japanese at Tokyo DisneySea® Park.

• Disneyland® Paris: The international team of Disneyland Paris will gather in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle and will sing their version of the song.

• Disneyland® Resort: A choir of cast members will sing the iconic anthem in front of the beautiful façade of the original attraction at Disneyland® Park in California.

• Walt Disney World® Resort: In Florida, international cast representing the 11 countries featured at Epcot® will lead guests, cast and children in song in front of Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom®.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I love Small World, too. I'm actually not sure how you can be a true Disney fan and not love it. It's filled with everything that makes a Disney theme park attraction special and unique and, regardless of how much folks like to mock it, the song carries a message I think everyone would do well to listen to a bit more closely.

Happy birthday, Small World!!!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Time is going by so quickly.

It's a Small World has always had a special place in my heart.

In 1965, I was on TDY (temporary duty) from my DoD agency in Philadelphia, on assignment at the DoD agency in Brooklyn which was relocating to Philadelphia. There were many Philly people on TDY and we all stayed at the same hotel in Brooklyn. I did some sightseeing on the weekend, but most of all, I often took a ride to the fair. In 1965, it cost 15 cents to ride the subway from Coney Island in Brooklyn to Flushing Meadows Park in Queens. To get back to the topic - at the top of my list on every visit to the fair was Small World. I most likely took a ride at least 10 times during the fair. In 1974, when I went to Disneyland, visiting Small World was like seeing an old friend.

Moving on to 1976, with my first visit to WDW, Small World was at the top of the must-do list. Over the years and many vacations, it continued to be a must-do. It became a favorite attraction, primarily for my Mother. When she passed away in early 2002, I realized that spending time in WDW, and especially on a Small World boat, was the best way to deal with the loss and to remember all of the happy times with Mom. I never get tired of the song and I have to remind myself not to sing out loud.

To this day, Small World is always at the top of the list on every WDW trip.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    In 1965, I was on TDY (temporary duty) from my DoD agency in Philadelphia ...
    What DoD agency did you work for?

Just curious because my Mother and Grandfather both work/worked DoD in Philly.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a small, small world; and getting smaller all the time. Think about how much the world has changed since 1964. But the attraction has stayed the same. There's something comforting in that.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I love Small World, too. I'm actually not sure how you can be a true Disney fan and not love it. It's filled with everything that makes a Disney theme park attraction special and unique and, regardless of how much folks like to mock it, the song carries a message I think everyone would do well to listen to a bit more closely.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    What DoD agency did you work for?

Just curious because my Mother and Grandfather both work/worked DoD in Philly.
    I worked for the agency currently known as "DLA Troop Support", which is a field agency of the Defense Logistics Agency. Over the years there have been many name changes.

Since 1962, the agency has been known as, in order, Defense Clothing and Textile Supply Center, Defense Personnel Support Center, Defense Supply Center Philadelphia, and finally DLA Troop Support.

Where did your Mother and Grandfather work?
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: