Quantcast Can anyone sell me on POR?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can anyone sell me on POR?

It looks like we'll likely have to stay there for our upcoming trip and I'm none too thrilled. I don't care for the theming, especially in the bayou section, which is where we'll have to stay (due to family size). So can anyone sell me on what you love? I'm feeling pretty disappointed right now.
    1990 - Shades of Green w/ mom, dad, sister and Grammy
    1994 - CBR w/ mom, dad, and sister
    1998 - Pleasure Island w/ sorority sisters
    2004 - CBR
    2010 - One day at MK with my new husband
    2015 - 40th anniversary celebration with my parents, my sister's family,and my family...can't wait!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We stayed there once, but in the mansion area. The main pool and slide were fun and had a bar and hot tub right there. We also liked the individual "quiet" pools spread out throughout the resort. I enjoyed the area outside the main building at night. It was very pretty and quiet. We enjoyed sitting on the benches. At first, I didn't think the bayou area would appeal to me, but walking by them, reminded me of a lake house. They didn't look as rustic as I thought they would. We liked having the option of having food court and a sit down restaurant. In the lobby area, there was a young lady drawing caricatures, and we bought one of both our kids. It is so funny. We also rented a surrey bike and it was fun to ride the path to POFQ and back.

I'm not sure what size your family is, but if you are really wanting the mansion area, perhaps you could ask for a roll-away. We ask for one every time we stay, and our teenagers take turns sleeping on it. They have never complained about it being uncomfortable.
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC
    2016 YC

Post Thanks / Like

Even though our favourite place to stay is just "up river" at POFQ, we've stayed at POR twice, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

The bayou theming is quite neat. Yes, it looks "rustic", but I found myself loving that it felt like I was at a private retreat ... it was so quiet and peaceful! The landscaping is so lovely (and I'm not a landscaping type of girl) and the winding paths make it feel like a true escape from the craziness of a day at Disney.

The pools are a plus. The main pool is super, with a fairly long and fast slide. There are 4 quiet pools, which are often very quiet, and it feels like you have a private or semi-private pool. You can also head down to POFQ for a change and use that pool as well.

POR has probably the best resort food court at all of Disney. Lots of choice, and yummy choices. Even when we stay at FQ, we often head over to POR for a meal. There is lots to do, fishing, bike rentals, etc. that give the resort a true resort feel.

The one piece of advice, it may be worth paying for a "preferred" location, so you know you'll be close to the main building, the pool and the boat dock to DTD.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We would stay there again in a heart beat. The carriage rides start there every evening. You must make reservations though. The resort is very quiet when we were there in early september.
    The food court is very good as well as the restaurant. There is also piano Bob at the bar in the evenings ( check his schedule though ).
    I think you will like it.

Hope this helps...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed there several times. It is our favorite moderate.

The AB section theming is great. Very quaint and quiet. The main pool has a slide and a nice pool bar.

You can rent boats and you can also take a boat taxi to Downtown Disney.

And, as you have discovered, it is the only moderate resort that allows five in a room.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

It is our favorite!
    Some things already mentioned, the boat rentals, the carriage rides, and the pools. Definitely a relaxing resort. I like walking along the river in the morning. There is a great jogging path as well. Food court is very good and manageable. Room size is just right. They also have a fishing pond as well, for a lazy morning of fishing. The main pool is very nice, and each area has a quiet pool a great place to sit and have a cup of coffee in the morning.
    I have always found the staff there very friendly, more so than the staff at Coronado. Bus stops all around so getting around is easy.
    Boatwrights is a good place to eat, as well.

Love this place.

Post Thanks / Like

Default POR is great

Why are you disappointed? You are going to Disney, staying in a beautiful moderate resort. Your last stay at Disney was CBR in 2004? POR had a great food court, nightly entertainment for the whole family, a great boat ride to Downtown Disney, lots of quiet pools, lots of walking areas, etc. etc.!

Our first family stay was in 1996 (Dixie Landings).
    We have stayed there dozens of times since then.
    Our family joke is that PORFQ and POR are our
    family cottage!

Keep an open mind, and embrace this new adventure!

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favourite resorts.
    I actually prefer Alligator Bayou over the mansions myself. If you enjoy strolling this resort has award winning landscapes, rivers, Pirate cruises, beautiful pools, carriage rides, surrey bikes, Bob Jackson, great food court and store, campfires, movie under the stars and a fishing spot where the kids can rent a cane pole. My kids always loved this resort when they were young. We love the boat to DTD and have even used it to and from the French Quarter (you can also walk over there) for beignets and a night of jazz. Like goofysally above, my first stay was also at Dixie Landings.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JennyAnne View Post
    It looks like we'll likely have to stay there for our upcoming trip and I'm none too thrilled. I don't care for the theming, especially in the bayou section, which is where we'll have to stay (due to family size). So can anyone sell me on what you love? I'm feeling pretty disappointed right now.
    Exactly what is your family size, and what ages will your children be? I am asking because I see you mentioned bringing a 7-8 month old baby in another thread. If your family consists of 5, with any of the children being age 2 or under you can actually stay at any of the resorts. Children 2 and under do not count toward room occupancy.

While POR has many, many fans, I understand your hesitation. It has always been, and continues to be, our least favorite moderate. Despite trying this resort twice I just can't find love for it. We just don't like the theming and found nothing unique about it. Could be because we are from Louisiana. As much as I don't love this resort, if it were my only option, and I really wanted to visit WDW then I would give it another try. Better to get to go to Disney than not, right????

Also keep an eye out for CBR refurbishment updates. I have read that CBR is scheduled to start room refurbs next month. One of the things I have heard is that the rooms will finally be getting queen mattresses. And while this has NOT been confirmed, there were test rooms at CBR about a year ago that showed what looked like the same exact 5th bed that is in the POR rooms. Again there is nothing saying they will go through with adding these Murphy type beds to CBR, but just keep an eye out incase.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it looks like the boat rides are out, just read that effective today, the boat rentals at certain resorts including POR will stop. Still, everything else at POR is great!

Post Thanks / Like

I was just wondering where you had hoped to stay? I think it's funny how we get attached to certain resorts. Port Orleans is my "home" and I end up disappointed whenever I stay somwhere else - I just love everything about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofysally View Post
    Why are you disappointed? You are going to Disney, staying in a beautiful moderate resort. Your last stay at Disney was CBR in 2004? POR had a great food court, nightly entertainment for the whole family, a great boat ride to Downtown Disney, lots of quiet pools, lots of walking areas, etc. etc.!

Our first family stay was in 1996 (Dixie Landings).
    We have stayed there dozens of times since then.
    Our family joke is that PORFQ and POR are our
    family cottage!

Keep an open mind, and embrace this new adventure!
    No, I've actually been back to WDW since then, I just haven't updated my signature. I was disappointed because this is a 40th anniversary trip for my parents, and it's their one shot to go with all of their grandkids. They don't care for the theming and neither do I. I want them to stay someplace that they will be excited about.
    2004 - CBR
    2015 - 40th anniversary celebration with my parents, my sister's family,and my family...can't wait!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Exactly what is your family size, and what ages will your children be? I am asking because I see you mentioned bringing a 7-8 month old baby in another thread. If your family consists of 5, with any of the children being age 2 or under you can actually stay at any of the resorts. Children 2 and under do not count toward room occupancy.

While POR has many, many fans, I understand your hesitation. It has always been, and continues to be, our least favorite moderate. Despite trying this resort twice I just can't find love for it. We just don't like the theming and found nothing unique about it. Could be because we are from Louisiana. As much as I don't love this resort, if it were my only option, and I really wanted to visit WDW then I would give it another try. Better to get to go to Disney than not, right????

Also keep an eye out for CBR refurbishment updates. I have read that CBR is scheduled to start room refurbs next month. One of the things I have heard is that the rooms will finally be getting queen mattresses. And while this has NOT been confirmed, there were test rooms at CBR about a year ago that showed what looked like the same exact 5th bed that is in the POR rooms. Again there is nothing saying they will go through with adding these Murphy type beds to CBR, but just keep an eye out incase.
    I think we're going to have one of the kids stay with my sis and BIL. We'll have a bunch of kids by that point...4 year old twins, a 2 year old, and an 8 month old. I think we can still do CBR if one (or both) of the twins stay with their grandparents or aunt/uncle. I know people don't recommend that resort with small children, but it's the one that all of us really like out of the moderates. I wish we could go with a deluxe so we all have more space, but it's not affordable for everyone in our party.

And thanks for the heads-up on the refurb...that would be great if they got the larger beds.
    2004 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JennyAnne View Post
    I think we're going to have one of the kids stay with my sis and BIL. We'll have a bunch of kids by that point...4 year old twins, a 2 year old, and an 8 month old. I think we can still do CBR if one (or both) of the twins stay with their grandparents or aunt/uncle. I know people don't recommend that resort with small children, but it's the one that all of us really like out of the moderates. I wish we could go with a deluxe so we all have more space, but it's not affordable for everyone in our party.

And thanks for the heads-up on the refurb...that would be great if they got the larger beds.
    CBR is our favorite moderate too. I know many people don't care for it, but we have always loved the theming. Great thing about Disney....something for everyone.

As for having a large group going, I think you can probably make it work to stay at CBR by having 1 or 2 of your kids stay with family in another room. We recently stayed at POR for Thanksgiving and had 5 rooms total. Our rooms were all pretty close to each other (3 were side by side). Anyway our kids played musical rooms all week. My nephew, who was listed in another room, was in our room all the time. And on a few nights we headed to see YeeHaw Bob (only thing we liked about the resort-lol) we had our two nieces, 20 and 16, babysit the younger kids in one room, while the older kids played in the arcade.

What would be ideal, and you could request this, would be to have connecting rooms with the grandparents. That way if you put the twins with them they have easy access to your room should they need something in the middle of the night. This won't be guaranteed, but you could request it.

Good luck and I hope you have a great trip!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

So, are you staying at POR or CBR?

Post Thanks / Like

People say that CBR isn't for small children?! That's absurd! We stayed there when our children were younger, and they had a blast! The main pool is perfect for little ones, and they loved building sand castles in the sand by the lake. And now they have the cool themed rooms. I sure wish they had those when our kids were little. They would have loved them! It has something for everyone. To me, CBR is the nicest, most laid back moderate resort, and if were to stay at a moderate again, CBR would definitately be the resort. I love the island feel of it.
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC
    2016 YC

Post Thanks / Like

I'm totally with you on this subject. We went to POR on our Honeymoon and got shoved into the Bayou. It's a good thing the rest of WDW is awesome, because we didn't like that resort at all. Not one bit. The bus service was pretty bad, and still stands as the worst experience of the mods. And the rooms? It felt like we were in an apartment complex in south Birmingham.

We now have 5 (3 kids over 3) so this is our cheapest option as well. Add this to the whole Fastpass+ thing and I'm hard pressed to make a return to FL.

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    POR has probably the best resort food court at all of Disney. Lots of choice, and yummy choices. Even when we stay at FQ, we often head over to POR for a meal. TD.
    I have to say that this shocked me! The food court here offers burgers, hot dogs, nuggets, and pizza. About the same thing that's offered at CBR and the All Star Resorts. Coronado has an amazing counter service with unparelled variety, and POFQ has the BEST southern foods available. If I have to stay at POR on my next trip, we'll be taking the boat up river to Sassagoula's for some cajun food and beignets. Now that is yummy!
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

You will actually like Riverside AB. It's such a relaxing and lush resort. There are tons of things to see and do and most of all there is no better feeling than to walk along the shaded paths to your room after a long hard day at a park. We have stayed there many times and AKL several, and room size there is no noticeable difference. The food court is great and Boatwrights offers up a very good TS dinner. Plus, you're on vacation, at Disney....YOU'LL LOVE IT !!
    80 1st./04POR/05POR/06POR/07POR/08POR/09POR/10POR/
    11PORJan/11PORApr/12ASPJun/12AKLJul/12POPNov/13AKL/
    14FQJun/14POPJul/14PORNov/15POPFeb/15FQJun/15AoADec/16ASPNov/17AoAJun/ 17POPSep/18CBJun/19PORApr/

IN GOD WE TRUST !!

STEELERS, SIX TIME SUPERBOWL CHAMPS

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted a Mansion room, but we had to stay in the French Quarter. It was very nice though. Still haven't seen the Mansion side. Last time we wanted Pop, but Sports was good too.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the boat does NOT stop at the dock near Downtown Disney Marketplace during the DTD refurbishment. It only stops at the other end of DTD where Planet Hollywood, theater, Disney Quest, etc. are located. DTD boat rentals have also been removed during refurbishment.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: