Quantcast Hawks Cay Resort in Florida Keys

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hawks Cay Resort in Florida Keys

Has anyone been to Hawk's Cay Resort in the Florida Keys? Did you enjoy it? How was the weather? How was the water? What time of year did you visit? Which accommodations did you stay in (I see several options)? Any other tips or suggestions? Thanks!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been there twice. Once with family and friends and once for a weekend with DH. I can tell you it is really nice. The rooms are big and comfortable. We stayed in a two bedroom villa with the kids and it was great. King room for the trip with DH and it was nice and roomy. If you are taking your kids and staying in a villa, ask them to put you by the small pool they have in the back. It was great waking up and walking off the back porch right to the small pool it felt like our own pool. The hotel has a great big pool which is very nice as well. They also have a pool with a pirate ship in it for the kids to play on that was cool for the small ones. And an adult pool if you are going alone and don’t want to have kids around. They have a decent club house for the older kids to hang out in and play pool. All in all it's a great place to vacation. We are hoping to go back for the 4th of July. We didn’t try the restaurant since we had the villa and when we went alone we hit the local dive bars to have really good food.

Weather: it's Florida rain can come at any time
    Time of year: we went in July & October nice weather both times
    Accomadations: hotel & villa
    Water: pool nice and cold , lagoon ok it's not beach water so it's not blue clear water.
    did we enjoy it?? My kids still ask to go back all the time..

If you decide to go make sure you venture out to Robbies, to feed the tarpoon. The kids will love it.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post

Water: pool nice and cold , lagoon ok it's not beach water so it's not blue clear water.
    did we enjoy it?? My kids still ask to go back all the time..
    Awe, so the lagoon water isn't clear and turquoise? All the pictures I have looked at online show clear beautiful turquoise water in the lagoon. Is it dirty? Brown? Green? That kinda bums me out a bit.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

It's more like lake water. You can't see the bottom that's for sure, but the kids liked swimming out to the floating thing in the middle to hang out and jump off. After a while they were done with the lagoon. We mostly hung out at the pool by the villa. The kids pretty much had it to themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

It's more like lake water. You can't see the bottom that's for sure, but the kids liked swimming out to the floating thing in the middle to hang out and jump off. After a while they were done with the lagoon. We mostly hung out at the pool by the villa. The kids pretty much had it to themselves.
    Oh Oh. That might just spoil it for me. I won't get in water if I can't see to the bottom, and honestly I really don't like my kids to either. It does look like an amazing place tho. When I showed my kids pics they immediately asked "when are we going". LOL.

Is the water in the ocean clear and pretty? Is it easy to swim at the "real beach" on this island?

DH and I have been to Key Largo and Islamadora. We swam off the beach there, and I remember the water was pretty clear. It's been a very long time tho.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

I know, I didn’t get in it at all and that's why after a while the kids were tired of it too. They enjoyed the pool a lot more. The ocean water is much better; I just don't know where you go to get in it. We stayed on site. Except to Jet Ski which was a couple miles away. That was fun. Other than the lagoon the place is great for a relaxing vacation. Don't let that spoil it for you the rest of the resort is very nice and well kept up.

I went in 2009, so who knows maybe they have changed the lagoon, but I doubt it..lol with everything else there your kids will love it...

Post Thanks / Like

I know, I didn’t get in it at all and that's why after a while the kids were tired of it too. They enjoyed the pool a lot more. The ocean water is much better; I just don't know where you go to get in it. We stayed on site. Except to Jet Ski which was a couple miles away. That was fun. Other than the lagoon the place is great for a relaxing vacation. Don't let that spoil it for you the rest of the resort is very nice and well kept up.

I went in 2009, so who knows maybe they have changed the lagoon, but I doubt it..lol with everything else there your kids will love it...
    Thanks for the advise! If we would just use the pools I don't see the sense in going way over there. LOL.

When they were younger they loved the pool more than the beach, but last summer they were in the resort pool all of 10 minutes over a 3 day weekend trip. They just wanted to be on the beach. We were in Destin, and the water was crystal clear and gorgeous. This place might be a let down, especially since Destin is just 6 hours from home. Would hate to travel that far, or pay for flights, to be disappointed with water quality. Thanks for being honest!

Maybe we should look into Key West, or the Bahamas instead.....
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Destin is beautiful. I would love to go there. We have looked at renting a house on the beach, but never could get the dates right (with everyone going). Where have you stayed ? and what is there to do other then the beach?

Post Thanks / Like

Destin is beautiful. I would love to go there. We have looked at renting a house on the beach, but never could get the dates right (with everyone going). Where have you stayed ? and what is there to do other then the beach?
    We have stayed in a few different condos. We went to Destin often before we had kids and when our kids were really little, then we didn't go at all for probably 8 years. Last summer we stayed in a condo on the beach. Pelican Beach Resort is the name of the complex we stayed in. We would love to rent a beach house one day, but they can be expensive. Since our beach trips are usually an extra trip we kinda sneak in we try to keep costs reasonable. I would love to rent a house in Seaside one day. Such a cute little beach town, but ridiculously expensive for the most part.

We have done lots of stuff besides the beach. We've gone parasailing, water park, go carts, mini golf, lazer tag, eating out at a different seafood place each night-of course, snorkeling at shell island, renting pontoon boat to take out to crab island. But the kids could really spend all day at the beach on their body boards and be completely happy.

There is also a few outlet shopping malls nearby. We like to visit the little town of Seaside. There is also a Boardwalk type place that has nightly entertainment. We had dinner near by then walked over. We listened to a band play for a bit, watched fireworks, the kids enjoyed a few activities such as rock climbing walls and such.

But most importantly, to us at least, is that crystal clear, turquoise water, and powder white sand. You just can't beat it. Of course there is the chance that the water isn't as clear during your visit, the water varies day to day. But we have always had at least a few days on each trip with perfect water.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to look into the Pelican Beach Resort. I would love to stay in one of the big houses, but they are super expensive. That's why we travel big, so everyone can go and everyone can pitch in for the house. I do like the condo idea as well this way if not enough people want to go we can still manage the prices.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to look into the Pelican Beach Resort. I would love to stay in one of the big houses, but they are super expensive. That's why we travel big, so everyone can go and everyone can pitch in for the house. I do like the condo idea as well this way if not enough people want to go we can still manage the prices.
    Pelican Beach is an older resort. It was super clean, location was perfect, and it was affordable. We paid right at $300 a night after taxes and fees. We booked through VRBO. The resort has two pools, one is an outdoor/indoor pool, a hot tub, a tiki bar, a small quick service type restaurant, a small store, it sits directly on beach facing the gulf, is just across the street from the water park. We found it had everything we needed at a price we liked. I don't remember if it had a fitness room or arcade, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. It was within walking distance lots of restaurants and shops. It's a nice affordable place to stay right on the beach.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great!! Thank you for the information. Im going to check it out.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: