Quantcast Not a runner, but I'm a walker!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not a runner, but I'm a walker!

I'm not much of an athletic type. I don't work out and I don't run because my knees hurt when I do. I do, however, walk a lot and at a fast pace. I have a coworker who does all the Disney races and she's always trying to get me to travel with her and do the races.

Today I got an idea. Do you think the half-marathon is walk-able? Whats the pacing for the race? I'd be more likely to do it if I could walk/jog at some points.

Its a lame question, I know. I'm not a runner, but I want to participate! :-)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a lame question at all! Walkers are welcome, and most runners will do a combination of walk/run throughout the race.

The required pace is only 16-minute mile, so quite walkable.

We're hoping to do a half soon too, and we will be walking and running ... probably more walking.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of people actually fully walk the marathon! It can be done. A 16 min mile pace is about 3.75mph, but you have to figure in time for stops in there so you really do have to plan some short running spurts to stay ahead of the sweepers.

It's not lame. I am doing the 10k next January but I am doing it walk/run, with equal portions of each. I get knee pain after running about 2mi continuously so I have to break it up with frequent walk breaks.

Go for it!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys! I feel more motivated now! I'll start looking into it!

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck OP! I definitely think you should go for it!

I am really looking forward to doing some sort of Disney race one day. DH is the runner in the family. He participates in any races he can. Last Saturday the boys and I joined him for our very first family race. The boy's and I only did the one mile fun run, easy I know, but it was our first time and we had a great time. DH did the fun run with us as his warm up, then he did the 5K. We hope to do a 5K together soon. Then maybe start planning a Disney race in the next few years sometime.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not a lame question! I say go for too!! I did my first half marathon (walk/ran) in 2011. I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of the participants! Disney definitely knows how to make a run fun! haha.

I just registered for my third runDisney event! The ToT 10-miler!! Can't wait!!
    3/88 & 3/91 off site
    3/02 ASMov
    10/03 ASSp
    5/04 adults only!(POP)
    11/04 ASMov
    1/06 CBR
    3/07 5th anniv.(POP)
    2/08 ASMov
    10/10 5k-solo trip!(ASMov)
    2/2011 princess half(POR)
    10/2012 MNSSHP(AoA)
    10/2014 ToT 10-miler(CBR)
    11/2017 family trip(POP)

FUTURE TRIPS
    1/2019 ASMusic

Post Thanks / Like

Go for it!!! Train hard and you won't believe how far you'll come by race time! It'll literally be a walk in the park!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

You should definitely do it. It's very easy to walk the half-marathon.

I jog\walked the Disney full in '04. Then when my son was born in '05 I stopped doing marathons because of the time it takes for training. So from that point on I would do the half every other year.

In 2012, five days before I was to leave for WDW to do the half I had a heart attack. Fortunately I wasn't down there during the run. Who knows what the outcome would've been.

I was back up walking in a couple of days and was running during rehab. But I lost the desire to run after that and began to just walk. I love walking now. And not really at a fast pace.

I've walked two half-marathons here in Indianapolis since AND did the WDW half in 2013...walking.

It's most definitely doable and it's quite the experience. Please register and go with your friend. You won't regret it. You'll have so much fun.

Don't ever let there be a day when you say to yourself, "I wish I had done whatever."

Because I've done the half so many times in January, my plan this year is to do the Wine and Dine Half Marathon for a change of scenary.

Hope you decide to register. Let us know when you do actually register.
    '96 Hilton Head
    '98 Caribbean Beach
    '99 Hilton Head
    '01 Port Orleans French Quarters
    '03 Animal Kingdom
    '04 Pop Century
    '04 Hilton Head
    '06 Pop Century
    '08 All Star Music
    '10 Pop Century
    '12 Hilton Head
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Art of Animation
    '14 Pop Century
    '15 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a runner either for the same reason. It's too hard on my knees. I walked the Tower of Terror 10 miler last year & the Rock n Roll half marathon this year. I didn't stop in either race. I walked several months before to get used to the distance & I kept my preferred pace. I never saw the pace lady (my friend walked with her, lol).

You can do it!

I am doing the Expedition Everest 5K in May & the Wine & Dine Half Marathon in November. Looking forward to both.
    "Celebrate the future, hand in hand"
    Upcoming Trips: March - (escaping Mardi Gras)
    May - Expedition Everest 5K
    November - Wine & Dine Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walking a half or full marathon

I race walk and you will be fine doing any Disney race. The minimum pace, I believe, is 15 minutes. That's very do-able. I usually do a half marathon in 2:40 and I did my first full marathon in 6:12. The key is to do a lot of training, get the soreness out of your shins (you will have that), and just get used to the pace. The hardest thing about training for a full marathon was that I had to slow down. LOL You will be ok if you train properly.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: