Quantcast Finding something doesn't make it yours to keep

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding something doesn't make it yours to keep

My son left his very unique Philadelphia Phillies/Mickey Mouse hat on Star. Tours on Tuesday. DH went back for it in less than 10 minutes and it was gone. We checked with the CMs at the attraction a few times that night, and the front gate lost and found, and at the main Lost and Found the next day, and again a few days later. Someone helped themselves to what was obviously a child's hat.
    COUNTLESS times as a kid
    92, 93, 95, 97, 98, 00, 03 (Honeymoon), 06 off site
    94 CB
    9/07 ASM
    2/08, 9/08,11/08, 5/09, 9/09, 8/10, 8/11 Pop
    7/09 SSR
    1/10, 7/10 BWV
    11/10, 5/12 AKLV
    1/12, 8/12, 2/13, 6/13 OKW

upcoming trips
    12/13 AKLV

DVC owner at AKLV and SSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, the same thing happened to us.
    Sorry for your son...
    All Star Sports-Hurricane Jeanne & Old Key West-2004
    All Star Movie, Old Key West, Coronado Spring-2005
    Wilderness Lodge-Club Level-2007
    All-Star Movies-November 2008
    AKL-Jambo House, Club Level - Feb 2011
    Contemporary Resort-May 2014
    Grand Floridian Resort- November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry that he didn't get it back. It's a shame when people won't turn in lost items. However not everyone is so dishonest and I have had the experience of having a missing camera (FIL's wife), a missing wallet (student on band trip), missing mouse ears (DD's on SW airlines), and a missing hat (FIL's) all returned in trips over the years. Just remember, karma will get your thief eventually...
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Really bad luck. Many times cast members notice anything left behind and retrieve it before anyone else gets on the ride. I've been thankful more than once when a cast member is calling after you with a forgotten umbrella.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry that happened to you.

You know, a lot of complaints here on Intercot lately have focused on "poor cast members". I wonder if any attitude change there might be is at least partially attributible to the idea that maybe the nature of the GUESTS at Walt Disney World have changed, and not for the better.

And then cast members are dealing with more and more and more absurdly demanding people, and with more and more self-centered people who could care less about the experience of others there. SO the "burn out" factor is increasing.

On our last visit in October we had a number of "jerk" encounter type things happen related to other guests. WAY more than in the past.

best,

...................john

Post Thanks / Like

A similar story happened to us. My sister had expensive designer brand eyeglasses that she decided she wanted to leave in our rental van. Our van at home can lock while the doors slide to close, but we did not realize our rental van could not. So, someone stole her eyeglasses right out of the van.

On the bright side, my dad somehow forgot his cellphone on the monorail once. As soon as he realized it was gone, lost and found had closed so he went the next day and it was there. Luckily some kind people found it before someone greedily took it. There are some decent people out there.

Sorry about your son's hat. I'm not trying to blame you at all, but maybe from now on make sure he has all his belongings with him before leaving (assuming he's not old enough). My parents always made me do a checklist before leaving a place just to be sure I had everything. Hope this helps! Sorry about the hat!
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, that stinks.

But what's odd is, I keep leaving my Mets cap behind on purpose but people keep returning it to me.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry!

We always return items, since someone is missing them. Last trip it was an iPod, and as we walked into GR in MK, a boy yelled out "Mom, they have my iPod"; they had arrived to report it lost.

It was great to be able to return it in person.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I'd still make sure central Lost and Found is aware that the item is missing. It could still show up some time later. I had a friend lose a Kindle while there in August and she got it back several weeks later.

Proud DVC owner

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about your son's hat. Like others have suggested, I would definitely keep checking with Lost and Found. Just because you didn't get it back on the trip, doesn't mean it's a given that someone kept it.

We found a camera under the flap on a stroller at AK once. We turned it in right at the stroller rental desk. The thought of losing our camera with all our memories was like a punch in the gut. I think most people are honest and would turn it in.

On the flip side, we lost a phone on POTC and the CMs found it immediately and got it right out to us!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with OP, but the society we live in today lives according to the rule, finders keepers, losers weepers.

I've unfortunately left behind things in rides that were never found and in these cases I realized the loss within a couple of minutes
    1984-first visit only one day 1996-WL 1998-CSR 2001-CSR 2003-POR & AKL 2004-AKL 2005-CBR 2006-CBR & BC 2007-Pop & CBR (solo) 2010-Pop (solo) 2011-Pop (solo) 2012-Pop 2013-Pop 2014-Pop (solo) 2015-Pop (solo) 2016-Pop (solo)

Post Thanks / Like

First, sorry about the loss of your hat. That stinks. But I will say that we've found the frequenters of Walt Disney World do a better job of returning lost items than when we're outside the bubble. We have both found misplaced items we've turned in to Cast Members, as well as have lost items returned to us so I think the Disney guests are as a whole a pretty decent group of people.

A few years back, I was in line at an ice cream cart. The line was about 15 minutes long as it was a hot day. I was next in line and the guest in front of me was making several purchases. He gathered his items and walked away. As I was "finally" about to order, I noticed a wallet on the cart. It had to be his; his hands were full. I grabbed the wallet, jumped out of line and chased him down and gave it to him to many thanks.

Upon my return to the line, the other guests allowed me to resume my order instead of going to the back. As I was ordering, I heard a guest say, "See that. I tell you people here are different. I see that sort of thing all the time."

It made me feel good. I agree with the woman behind me: Disney people are generally a little nicer than average.

Just my opinion.

It still stinks about the hat, though!
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

We've lost things at WDW and some stayed lost, but some we got back, reclaimed from the Lost and Found. We lost a ball cap and a camera (left in a cab). We lost and got back a cell phone (left on Space Mountain, reclaimed at Lost and Found), and some souvenir coasters that I accidentally left behind at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. I told the concierge desk on the day we were leaving, and a server found them and mailed them to us at home. There are all kinds of people in the world. I like to think that most of us are good at heart.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about your loss. We left my DS lanyard and pins at the restaurant in Italy and even checking with lost and found never got it back. It is hard when raising kids. You teach them one way and when it doesn't come back to them that same way it is hard for them to understand. We have raised out kids by my grandmothers motto; You don't know whose it is, but you know it's not yours" Treat others as you would want to be treated..if you lost something you would want it back...
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Over the years, we've "lost" many things at WDW; unfortunately, most weren't lost, they were taken out of our strollers that we left parked while we were going on an attraction. They were left there unintentionally, absent-mindedly. The worst were an SLR camera and my mom's zip-up sweatshirt she had gotten from Paris (not expensive, but meaningful to her). In both cases, someone just decided to help themselves.

We're from Chicago (city proper), so we usually guard our belongings because we recognize that if you don't, you "lose" them. Sometimes you just forget to take them with you, though.

Ironically, the best luck we've had with losing things and getting them back was in New York. Camcorder camera left in the Toys 'R' Us store in Times Square and a cell phone lost in the American Museum of Natural History. Both were turned into lost and found.

Good people are good people and dishonest people are dishonest. They don't suddenly change when they're at WDW.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    And then cast members are dealing with more and more and more absurdly demanding people, and with more and more self-centered people who could care less about the experience of others there. SO the "burn out" factor is increasing.
    I saw this in full action at MK last week.

As DH and I left Hall of Presidents, we stopped in the gift shop. A man was there with is 10ish son and DW. He was loudly complaining to a CM at the register how his son couldn't see the MSEP.

Apparently, they were trying to nab a spot at one of the pedestrian crossover over areas that they tape off. He was told he had to move until the parade started and the rope was put up. When the CM put the rope up, he was mad that people walked to that area faster than they did, and then his son was stuck behind people for the parade. This was the early parade (there was also a 10pm parade that night).

The CM at the register asked what he wanted her to do, and he wanted to lodge a formal complaint. She was on the phone with someone to get some sort of resolution for the guy.

We couldn't believe the audacity of this guy. He was rediculous, and teaching his son that acting like a total jerk gets you unrealistic results. We didn't stick around, but I hope the guy was told to go packing.

The CM seemed to keep her cool pretty well.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I've lost lots of items in WDW and I'm sad to say I've never gotten one of them back.

Although all of mine have been valuable items, like sunglasses and cell phones. I'd think a kids hat would have been returned.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an educated guess. Everything that you lose at MK has a greater chance of not being returned than at the other parks? Why? Because Johny Q Public spends more time at MK, whereas the honest family traveler spends more time at the other parks. Just a theory, but I bet I'm right.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lost and Found

It totally stinks that you had your hat stolen. I've "sharpie" labeled a lot of our items before traveling because when at Disney, I'm focused on the magic instead of my camera. I know, that won't stop some people but it will also help me identify to the Lost and Found folks.

I have an iPhone (sorry John - I don't have the "my favorite Disney site is INTERCOT" as my signature) but I do have a special Mickey Red otter box.

As I am very diligent about silencing my phone, I pocketed it at Philharmagic. Well, it must have fell out. Someone must have returned it to Lost and Found. I got it back. I was able to identify by the box color AND my name sharpie-tag. The CM also said my lock screen pic of Rafiki was outstanding!
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry about the lost cap. Just not right...

My DD lost a stuffed toy at California Adventure and we never got it back. I ended up replacing it. It was a small Rudolph and "Santa" found the exact same one on Ebay.

This past Saturday we were at Hollywood Studios. My DD left her water bottle behind. We were at Epcot when she wanted it. We were parked at the Studios parking lot so went back to see if it was there... Lucky for DD they had the water bottle at the podium.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: