Quantcast A DINK needs your advice - WDW w/ a 10 yr. old

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default A DINK needs your advice - WDW w/ a 10 yr. old

You probably know, but DINK stands for Double Income, No Kids. DW and I like kids, just don't have any. Anyhow...

For her 10th birthday, DW and plan on taking our niece (henceforth to be referred to as DN) to WDW for her first visit. Perhaps many of you are thinking "Oh, how sweet!" while others of you have seen my posts and trip reports and may be thinking "Isn't that the guy who tours the parks at a break-neck pace in a more 'adult' fashion?" or something else along those lines...

Obviously I wouldn't do the parks as DW and I would by ourselves, beyond that I'm pretty much clueless. We'd plan one a more leisurely schedule and do our best to divine what our 10 year old DN would like to do in the parks, but I don't really know what that is. DW and I haven't really ever cared for a child for more than a few hours at a time, so obviously I could use some advice here, but DW and I are eager to learn and eager for a new challenge.

Here's a little background: she is a princess/Barbie fan from the Midwest. She has a sister who is a couple years younger who not be coming along (her sister's trip will be a couple of years later if this one goes well). We would probably go in early June, but any time during her summer is possible; we don't want to take her out of school. The trip would probably be 5 to 7 days long. We'd probably stay at a deluxe or a mod.

Please, give me some advice on how to plan and have a nice magical trip to Disney World with my DN.

Thank you all in advance. I eagerly await your input.

-Evan
    a.k.a. DisneyDINK
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if she is a princess fan, how about checking out the royal princess rooms at Port Orleans Riverside. Some friends of mine stayed there and said it was awesome. They had a split stay with POR and Contemporary and said they liked POR way better.

Secondly, you need to find out if she's into thrill rides and roller coasters or if she's more the Little Mermaid ride type because that will affect your touring plans. If she's a real girly girl she might like a visit to the Bibitti Bobbity Boutique to be transformed into a princess. She might actually be into seeing characters and getting autographs which is time consuming, so you need to fit that into your touring plans as well. My suggestion is to sit down with her and describe the types of attractions DW has to offer and get a feel for what she's going to enjoy doing. Whatever you do you can go wrong, after all she'll be in Disney World

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We find doing character meals, while pricey is a good way to meet and greet the characters. If going in June make sure you take afternoon swim breaks. And since you don't have kids, be prepared for a total lack of privacy if staying in the same room. Has DN been away from home for that long?
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

when we took a 14 yo on her first trip (family friend) she LOVED autographs and the pennies. She felt it was a challenge to get things from the different machines.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

Do make a list for her and her parents.
    Motion sickness? Is she a spinner or does she get woozy watching a carrosel?
    Fussy eater?
    Scared of heights, animals, ghosts, loud noises etc.?

I hope she is checking stuff out on line.

She should have a grand time with 2 of you looking out for her. WDW rides are not the level of terror you would expect at Universal on a big coaster. It will be nice that you have enough time to repeat what she enjoys the most. The first times on some rides may be scary, but the second rides could be great.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiDisneyFreak View Post
    Well if she is a princess fan, how about checking out the royal princess rooms at Port Orleans Riverside. Some friends of mine stayed there and said it was awesome. They had a split stay with POR and Contemporary and said they liked POR way better.

Secondly, you need to find out if she's into thrill rides and roller coasters or if she's more the Little Mermaid ride type because that will affect your touring plans. If she's a real girly girl she might like a visit to the Bibitti Bobbity Boutique to be transformed into a princess. She might actually be into seeing characters and getting autographs which is time consuming, so you need to fit that into your touring plans as well. My suggestion is to sit down with her and describe the types of attractions DW has to offer and get a feel for what she's going to enjoy doing. Whatever you do you can go wrong, after all she'll be in Disney World
    Nice suggestion on princess rooms at POR.

I am guessing no on the thrill rides, but she might surprise me. I had thought of sitting down with her and talking about what we could do.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    We find doing character meals, while pricey is a good way to meet and greet the characters. If going in June make sure you take afternoon swim breaks. And since you don't have kids, be prepared for a total lack of privacy if staying in the same room. Has DN been away from home for that long?
    I am a big fan of mid-day breaks as an adult, so I had thought of that. Booking a character ADR is a great idea. I am prepared for the lack of privacy and no, she doesn't spend much time apart from her parents. She spends the night at friends homes a fair amount, but yeah, that did occur to me. I will talk to her and her parents about that.

Sincere thanks for the post!
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cuteduck223 View Post
    when we took a 14 yo on her first trip (family friend) she LOVED autographs and the pennies. She felt it was a challenge to get things from the different machines.
    Fun idea! Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LVT View Post
    Do make a list for her and her parents.
    Motion sickness? Is she a spinner or does she get woozy watching a carrosel?
    Fussy eater?
    Scared of heights, animals, ghosts, loud noises etc.?

I hope she is checking stuff out on line.

She should have a grand time with 2 of you looking out for her. WDW rides are not the level of terror you would expect at Universal on a big coaster. It will be nice that you have enough time to repeat what she enjoys the most. The first times on some rides may be scary, but the second rides could be great.
    This is kind of the beginning of a list for her and the parents. Good stuff here! I haven't selected a date yet, but she will have plenty of time to check out WDW online.

She is a bit of a picky eater, but I am the one who cooks all of the family dinners and I know or can research all of the menus prior to the trip. I'm sure there will be an issue or two, but I'm reasonably prepared on this one.

Great points about the fear questions. If I remember correctly she wasn't into loud noises, but I will see her next 4th of July so I'll know but then. Allow multiple rides on the ones she likes, good one.

Thank you!
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Ten year olds are a good age for WDW. They feel like they're getting a little old for some of it, but they're willing to get into it once they're on site. They still get excited to see characters and get absorbed by the fantasy elements. They're usually willing to try the more thrilling attractions, but not everyone is cut out for thrills. Just be willing to slow the pace a little and take in all the details, and have some spontaneity to adapt when you see what she seems to gravitate toward, and I think you'll be fine. Have fun!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Go on Youtube and have her watch the videos of the rides. That might help her decide what she would and wouldn't want to go on and whether she'd be afraid.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

My first thought is limit the number of parks you do. Our last 3 trips we have brought newbies to the parks and have not visited all 4 parks on any of the trips. (This occurred to me when I realized we had made at least two visits when there was only MK - and one with not one of the Mtns - and many many visits when there were only MK and Epcot.)

My 9 year old grand-niece loves the Disney planning videos - you can get one free by mail from the Disney website. She is currently planning our next trip to the World, using an old Birnbaums (it's what I had ) for ride descriptions and our most recent park maps, which are her favorite.

I have read trip planning tips that suggest getting together frequently. Maybe setting aside a supper once a month to discuss plans. Perhaps one park per month.

With the kids we've brought to WDW we've found they do like to go back for repeats. For a 5 day trip I'd suggest alternate mornings at MK and AK (as an example) with later afternoon/evenings at Epcot. One day in the middle for a water park (Typhoon Lagoon has more shade and perhaps the slides are more 10 yr old friendly).

Our 9 year old has been on ToT and RnRC and while she claims she likes them, declined to repeat on our most recent trip. She talks more about AK - especially watching the vets do their thing at Conservation Station (get here first thing) and the area with the games and Primeval Whirl and Triceratops Spin.

For picky eaters buffets are awesome.

One of our 9 yr old's favorite character meals is supper (usually our first evening) at 1900 Park Fare at GF. The Tremaines are a hoot. She also likes Tusker House at AK and Crystal Palace at MK. She normally loves sleeping in, but even tho grumpy at having to get up early, would not want to miss breakfast, before the park opens, at either TH or CP.

The thing about this age group - they're great to take along on trips. They're old enough to be fairly self-sufficient (not a LOT of t/fears) but when treated with plenty of dignity and respect, they're not going to give a lot of attitude either.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

My oldest DD is going to be 10 in Feb... She still loves going to BBB and getting the makeover, but she decided last Spring that she didn't want to wear a princess dress. While it made me sad, I completely understood! I was suspicious that this may be what she wanted to do prior to making the ressie, so I asked her and sure enough... no dress for her, that being said, she has done it a number of times before, which may have played into that reasoning. We decided to let her make her own t-shirt to wear that day. She absolutely loved the idea!!

DDs also love to meet characters and get autographs... we do this by waiting on line and character meals. I have to say that sometimes the character meals are the way to go... you don't waste a large amount of park time and DDs get more face time with them. It's a win-win!

DDS also love the parades and shows! If your niece is into that, definitely make time to hit Beauty, The Lion King and Finding Nemo!

Really high on her list this past trip was Pin Trading! I can't even begin to tell you how many pins we traded between DD9 & DD7! LOL That was a highlight for both of them.

Both DDs LOVE to ride! I agree you may want to sit down with your niece and ask what she wants to ride and make a game plan. That being said, with kids, you have to be FLEXIBLE! Just because they say they want to do it now, doesn't mean by the time you get to the park, they are going to want to do it then! LOL

Hope you have a great trip!
    April
    Up Next: April 19-26th 40th Birthday
    Past trips:
    Dec./Jan.2001/2002 OP (engaged @ Castle!)
    Oct. 03 YC (6mos pregnant)
    May. 05 BC (DD 1st trip)
    April/May 06 DL (1st trip
    Oct. 07 BWI (DD2 1st trip)
    Oct. 08 WL (Grand Gathering)
    Dec. 09 Timeshare
    2011, 2013 POFQ
    Mar/Apr 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    My first thought is limit the number of parks you do. Our last 3 trips we have brought newbies to the parks and have not visited all 4 parks on any of the trips. (This occurred to me when I realized we had made at least two visits when there was only MK - and one with not one of the Mtns - and many many visits when there were only MK and Epcot.)
    I was leaning toward skipping DHS. Good points.

My 9 year old grand-niece loves the Disney planning videos - you can get one free by mail from the Disney website.
    I think I have about a dozen dating back to VHS ones I have burned to DVD, so no problem there. Maybe once plans are finalized we'll watch a couple together and I'll give her a copy of the most recent one to explore on her own and report back to me what she likes.

For picky eaters buffets are awesome.
    Good point.

The thing about this age group - they're great to take along on trips. They're old enough to be fairly self-sufficient (not a LOT of t/fears) but when treated with plenty of dignity and respect, they're not going to give a lot of attitude either.
    Thanks Jan! :Goofy2:

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRoosMommy View Post
    My oldest DD is going to be 10 in Feb... She still loves going to BBB and getting the makeover, but she decided last Spring that she didn't want to wear a princess dress. While it made me sad, I completely understood! I was suspicious that this may be what she wanted to do prior to making the ressie, so I asked her and sure enough... no dress for her, that being said, she has done it a number of times before, which may have played into that reasoning. We decided to let her make her own t-shirt to wear that day. She absolutely loved the idea!!
    I like the t-shirt idea. Maybe we can figure out trip shirts for all of us to waer for a day or two?

DDs also love to meet characters and get autographs... we do this by waiting on line and character meals. I have to say that sometimes the character meals are the way to go... you don't waste a large amount of park time and DDs get more face time with them. It's a win-win!
    I'm definitely going to have to make a couple of character ressies.

Both DDs LOVE to ride! I agree you may want to sit down with your niece and ask what she wants to ride and make a game plan. That being said, with kids, you have to be FLEXIBLE! Just because they say they want to do it now, doesn't mean by the time you get to the park, they are going to want to do it then! LOL
    Got it. I hope I get it then too. Thanks April!

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Ten year olds are a good age for WDW. They feel like they're getting a little old for some of it, but they're willing to get into it once they're on site. They still get excited to see characters and get absorbed by the fantasy elements. They're usually willing to try the more thrilling attractions, but not everyone is cut out for thrills. Just be willing to slow the pace a little and take in all the details, and have some spontaneity to adapt when you see what she seems to gravitate toward, and I think you'll be fine. Have fun!
    Thank you, Jan!

Quote Originally Posted by PAYROLL PRINCESS View Post
    Go on Youtube and have her watch the videos of the rides. That might help her decide what she would and wouldn't want to go on and whether she'd be afraid.
    Thanks for the idea Kathy!
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDINK View Post
    I think I have about a dozen dating back to VHS ones I have burned to DVD, so no problem there. Maybe once plans are finalized we'll watch a couple together and I'll give her a copy of the most recent one to explore on her own and report back to me what she likes.
    Just make sure that whatever she watches is very recent -- you wouldn't want her to put something like Snow White's Scary Adventures at the top of her list, only to find out it isn't there anymore!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Took my grand daughter ,9, and grandson,7, last year. She and he were more into the water slide at the pool than the parks and the characters. Just a heads up that not everyone goes head over heals for the attractions and all things Disney. And if the trip is for your niece, you may have to make some sacrifices and adjust your normal must do's, at least until your niece realizes what's waiting for her. Good Luck and have a ball!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

My kids really enjoy the pin trading (and I find it better than standing in long lines to collect autographs.) Be sure to buy some 2.00 pins of ebay before you go so she will have some to trade with.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    My kids really enjoy the pin trading (and I find it better than standing in long lines to collect autographs.) Be sure to buy some 2.00 pins of ebay before you go so she will have some to trade with.
    My kids also love pin trading. We get some pins off ebay before we go (and they even usually find a few to keep in the lot too) so they are ready to trade.We use lanyards they got from various places-none disney related-including the Dollar Store. They have one lanyard they load up each day to trade & when we get back to the room, swap them onto their "keep" lanyards. They mostly trade with CMs but have also traded with other kids/families. Maybe find a "theme" your DN would like and search those out. DD loves Chip & Dale so she tries hard to find pins of them. DS is into sports (baseball & golf specifically) so he looks for the sports related pins. It is a fun way to pass time while waiting for parades etc or when we are not in commando rider mode. When we get home, they have pin boards (white artist canvas that I have painted the trim a favorite color and added some painted disney accents in the corners) where they keep them all. A great souvenir and remembrance.
    2001--First time for DS and me!
    2004--First time for DD!
    2007--First time at Poly!
    2013--Thanksgiving with Mickey & good friends!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: