Quantcast New GAC/"disabled policy: Please Read :)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New GAC/"disabled policy: Please Read :)

RE: The new "disabled guest"policy:

To my CM friends:
    Today is a big day. Please remember to breathe. Try to remember that not EVERYONE is abusing the system. Having a child with a special need (of any kind) is not an easy thing. And the smallest thing can set the child off. If you see a family with a child having a meltdown, please don't judge or stare. Those only make things harder. Personal experience has taught me a lot LOL. Having a child meltdown because you are walking past Buzz and not riding, <snip>. I really hope today goes better than anyone is expecting. I will be thinking of you guys all day. Please send me messages of how it goes!!

To guests:
    Please, please be nice. No one likes change. But this is what happens when people get greedy. GACs were something Disney went ABOVE and did for families like mine (I have a 12 year old brother with Down's Syndrome, and an 10-year-old brother with ADHD). Does it <snip> that it has changed? Absolutely. Will it change how we go to Disney? Absolutely! But that's life. Be thankful for what they have done in the past. And try to deal with what they are doing now. Remember, the CMs you encounter today (or from now on) had absolutely NOTHING to do with the change; this change came from upper management, not the front-line Cast that you encounter at the parks or resorts. They are just doing their job to enforce it. Please don't take any of it out on them, especially those in Guest Relations. Get the contact info and email or write a letter about the experience.
    Love my Disney family, and good luck!!
    Last edited by Melanie; 10-09-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this a note from you, Jim?

Should be noted it's no longer called GAC, and now known as Disability Access Service (DAS) card.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jim. Good advice for both guests and CMs. I will be among those trying to adjust to the new policy and procedures later this week.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this Jim. Good luck to all CM's and guests during the transition. I hope it goes smoothly for all.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I believe very few people abuse the old system. I use an evc and I have an autistic child. I have never abused it and to be honest, with as many times as I have gone I think I have seen only one person abuse the system.

the funny thing is that the current system won't stop me from going but maybe we won't be able to take my son.
    and my mom who is very very very sick and crippled. I was planning on taking her w/ us next time. under the old rules it would have been hard. under the new rules, no way we can take her.

not complaining really, that's just the way it is.

still can't wait until November 2014
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I forgot to add the quote. This is in response to ransam' s above post about few people abusing the system.

I can't speak for all guests, but I have seen/known about abuse first hand from people I know who told me what they did.

In one case the family got a GAC for their son who was diagnosed with asthma. The family visited Disney during Easter break, was given a GAC, and used FP line all week. They came home saying that they got to skip all the lines and how nice it was. The thing is their son, the one with asthma, plays football and soccer in the Louisiana heat and humidity with no problems, but couldn't tolerate waiting in line at Disney in the spring! Seriously? To me this is a clear cut example of abusing the system, as the child was more than capable of waiting in the regular line.

This is just one example of stuff I have heard first hand. I know that if I personally know of a few people doing this, then there are likely hundreds, if not thousands, doing the same. As with everything else in life, the good have to suffer for the bad.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

So sad but so true...I've seen lots of abuse and heard lots of bragging.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    RE: The new "disabled guest"policy:

To my CM friends:
    Today is a big day. Please remember to breathe. Try to remember that not EVERYONE is abusing the system. Having a child with a special need (of any kind) is not an easy thing. And the smallest thing can set the child off. If you see a family with a child having a meltdown, please don't judge or stare. Those only make things harder. Personal experience has taught me a lot LOL. Having a child meltdown because you are walking past Buzz and not riding, <snip>. I really hope today goes better than anyone is expecting. I will be thinking of you guys all day. Please send me messages of how it goes!!

To guests:
    Please, please be nice. No one likes change. But this is what happens when people get greedy. GACs were something Disney went ABOVE and did for families like mine (I have a 12 year old brother with Down's Syndrome, and an 10-year-old brother with ADHD). Does it <snip> that it has changed? Absolutely. Will it change how we go to Disney? Absolutely! But that's life. Be thankful for what they have done in the past. And try to deal with what they are doing now. Remember, the CMs you encounter today (or from now on) had absolutely NOTHING to do with the change; this change came from upper management, not the front-line Cast that you encounter at the parks or resorts. They are just doing their job to enforce it. Please don't take any of it out on them, especially those in Guest Relations. Get the contact info and email or write a letter about the experience.
    Love my Disney family, and good luck!!
    Well Stated.
    Thanks Jim...
    Hope you and yours have a great time next time you visit.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad Disney is still trying to make their parks more accessible and enjoyable for guests with special needs.

I don't know if the smaller more local ones go that far.
    Susan A

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim!
    I'll be taking my oldest son who has special needs, in November for his birthday. I'm hoping he can still enjoy it with the new changes. Staying positive here!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update on DAS

I went to Epcot for a few hours today. I turned in my GAC to get the DAS. The process is very easy. First the CM asked what my needs are (besides mobility, and I had my scooter with me). He then typed the info into a tablet/computer. He took my picture with the tablet. It prints out on the paper DAS cards.

On the front it gives your first and last names, the date you get the card to the expiration date, where/what park you got the DAS and the number of people in your party.

The process to use it is very simple. Just go to the attraction and the CM will scan the card (there is an area with all the info when scanned on the card). You will get a fast pass with the current stand by wait time on it. You can return any time after that time with no window restrictions. To get another DAS pass, you MUST use the first/current fast pass. You will not be able to save them up.

On the reverse side of the card is a log where the CM can write the name of the attraction, current time return time, and cast(where they initial it)

I didn't use it today since I was scooting solo and just did Spaceship Earth which has a h/c area and went stand by on Nemo.

Per the card:
    Terms and conditions
    *Your scheduled return time does not provide immediate access upon your return.

*You may not have more than one active attraction return time at a time.

*Disney Fastpass service is a separate service and may be used in conjunction with this service.

*Park and attraction hours are subject to change without notice.

*Attractions may close without notice.

*All guests must meet boarding requirements.

*When using this service, it is possible to experience waits greater than the posted wait time.

By signing this card, you acknowledge that the recipient of this card has a disability rwquiring the service of this program and accepts the terms and conditions of this card.

Walt Disney Parks and Resort may tetain the photo and other information contained on this card to assist us in processing the Disability Assistance Service.
    end quote...

You then sign and date the card.

I saw the stroller as wheelchair tags being given out as before and I didn't have any trouble getting my DAS having my scooter with me. The CM was very friendly and helpful. I didn't feel rushed by him, even thought the line was long.

So far so good. We will see this weekend when we go back to one of the parks.

One good thing is that if you have an ADR you can get your DAS pass and have your meal since you don't have to rush back to the attraction withing a "ride time window".
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very simple. Good luck to all that need it.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Main Street Jim for spelling it out.

Apparently so many people were gaming the system, it became a serious issue.

I'm sure Disney thought long and hard about changing this service.

I hope the new system works well enough for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Marci's card. Thanks, Marci!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Marci's card. Thanks, Marci!

That looks similar to the Legoland disability pass. Except you can do more than one attraction at a time. Makes it easier to at least schedule the day.

I'm just really hoping my very regimented ASD son does okay with it. We have the same schedule every time we go. It will be interesting
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

It's good to see the actual card. Thanks, Marci.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

So good to know how it works. My 15 year old and I had discussed both of our concerns and finally decided she should get the GAC then they changed it. We've been looking at the new system and believe it will help her IF she needs to use it when she feels poorly. She was worried about not making it back in time for her return time if they have to meet with her teacher. She'll feel better.
    10/89 honeymoon off-site
    11/93 off-site last trip pre-child
    12/01 ASMovies first trip for kids
    10/04 POFQ
    02/09 Pop and first cruise on Wonder
    03/10 POFQ trip to see CFHS Tiger Band!
    03/14 VWL to see DD2 and the CFHS Tiger Band!

Post Thanks / Like

just a follow up.
    to those saying they have seen or "heard" first hand reports of people abusing the system, that's fine, i'm not saying it's not true.
    but I would bet the percentage is so low of those abusing it, it's funny. for every 1 of those people that abuse it, there are hundreds who need it and do not abuse it. and frankly I find it offensive to hear people say the majority of people don't need it.
    I would LOVE to have my legs back. I would love to walk w/ my son from ride to ride, but I can't.

the only real problem I have w/ he new/current issue is tghat it seems that Disney is taking one solution and trying to make it fit every situation. people have different disabilities and different needs. How will the new system adapt to that?
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Not going to stir the pot but the new system will not fit my son's individual needs. As such (have to update signature list) I am using the opportunity to cancel the reservation for WL and stay in a nice house with pool offsite. We can then go to Disney Studios (his favorite) and try out some other places - Universal, LegoLand, Sea World, and still shop at Downtown Disney.

I did email initially and got written back with basically a sorry but it is what it is response. Good luck to all!
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexansInNY View Post
    Not going to stir the pot but the new system will not fit my son's individual needs. As such (have to update signature list) I am using the opportunity to cancel the reservation for WL and stay in a nice house with pool offsite. We can then go to Disney Studios (his favorite) and try out some other places - Universal, LegoLand, Sea World, and still shop at Downtown Disney.

I did email initially and got written back with basically a sorry but it is what it is response. Good luck to all!
    ....I've not seen the "system" that is employed at LegoLand ...but I do know that the disabled assistance systems at Universal, and Sea World are basically the same as the new DAS at Disney. I'm kinda' wondering if Disney used those systems as a model for the DAS ...and 'tweaked" it a bit so that it's not exactly alike?
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP