Quantcast Received the Dreaded Letter

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Received the Dreaded Letter

It's official we leave in 16 sleeps!!! OMG!!

We received a letter in the mail indicating there would be no fridge in our room. We are staying at POR. I am super bummed since we utilize the fridge for light snacks and to keep our water cold. No--not the end of the world, just trying to figure out a plan to adjust.

Anyone here if they are still giving the $15 per night room credit if I ask about it?

I am hoping to magically have one appear in our room.
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just because you received the letter does not mean you won't have a fridge. They are being replaced daily, but there will be no way to know until you arrive. I think there's a good chance you'll have one as POR was almost finished last I heard.

No, they are not doing the $15 credit now that they're mailing out these letters warning people in advance about the fridge issue. Folks can gripe about the fridge but it's a safety issue so Disney isn't obligated to give a credit.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Just because you received the letter does not mean you won't have a fridge. They are being replaced daily, but there will be no way to know until you arrive. I think there's a good chance you'll have one as POR was almost finished last I heard.

No, they are not doing the $15 credit now that they're mailing out these letters warning people in advance about the fridge issue. Folks can gripe about the fridge but it's a safety issue so Disney isn't obligated to give a credit.
    ....possibly a bit of a correction is warranted:

....depending on when you booked ...will determine if you're deserving of a $15/day
    room credit. If it was on the web / brochure when you booked ....that's the product that they are presenting as part of the contractual agreement. And THAT'S how the grouchy CM at the front desk explained it to us.

....POP tried to pull that one with us on Aug 24th as we checked in. They claimed that the fridge was no longer listed on their web-page as an amenity ...so therefore you lose ...no fridge ...no credit for you. FYI ....we got the $135 credit that was due to us.

....oh ...and they are legally wrong on that one TOO. If the non-working fridge is IN YOUR ROOM when you check in ....it's an amenity. As is a TV, the mattress on the bed, paint on the wall, and the hot water from your faucet. The fact that they have affixed a sign to it that says "do not plug in" ...further implies that it should be part of the room amenities ...and should otherwise be working. They will have to physically remove the fridges from the room to even have a leg to stand on with this one.

....if you bring up the fridge issue ..they have to address it. They have been instructed to not even mention that subject unless the guest brings it up.

....while it's better to have the fridge be there when you show up ....getting back $15/night is nothing to throw away.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome.. thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

In the past before values had fridges we took an ice chest and filled it daily from the ice machines. We put our drinks down in it and it kept everything nice and cold.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiDisneyFreak View Post
    In the past before values had fridges we took an ice chest and filled it daily from the ice machines. We put our drinks down in it and it kept everything nice and cold.
    That's what we used to do in "the good old days". Now , we are DVC so no problem.
    BTW, I believe that you can ask for a smallish fridge for free for medical necessity, such as for insulin.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PETE FROM NYC View Post
    BTW, I believe that you can ask for a smallish fridge for free for medical necessity, such as for insulin.
    That's true, but even those aren't guaranteed since there is a limited supply. If they run out of those they'll store your medicine at bell services in their fridge.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

If you are flying, you can probably get a collapsable cooler and put it in your suitcase so that it can be filled at the ice machines. Not the most elegant solution but at least you will have the things you need! Sorry that you are having to be inconvenienced.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't panic yet!

We received the letter (well, actually it arrived the day after we left for Disney) and there was still a fridge in our room at POFQ.

So, don't worry until you get there and there actually isn't a fridge, it might not be a problem at all.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fridge Issue

I booked three weeks ago and was not informed about the refrigerator issue. When did this all start and get announced? If there is not one in my room I will be asking for the credit. I would think differently if I had been informed at reservation time but it sounds like this is a well known issue with Disney and they should at least be telling people when they reserve. I phoned in my reservation so it could have easily been a part of the conversation,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    That's true, but even those aren't guaranteed since there is a limited supply. If they run out of those they'll store your medicine at bell services in their fridge.
    Good in theory, but not in practice. How many people can wait for bell services or go to the bell services desk to use their insulin or other refrigerated meds?

To the original poster--if it were me I would pack a collapsible cooler just in case you don't get a fridge.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    Don't panic yet!

We received the letter (well, actually it arrived the day after we left for Disney) and there was still a fridge in our room at POFQ.

So, don't worry until you get there and there actually isn't a fridge, it might not be a problem at all.
    Whew!! That would be awesome!! It's not the end of the world, just a nice thing to have in the room!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry823 View Post
    I booked three weeks ago and was not informed about the refrigerator issue. When did this all start and get announced?
    This actually has been circulating since mid-July so it's been announced for quite a while. They started sending out the letters more recently, but it was announced almost 3 months ago.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Good in theory, but not in practice. How many people can wait for bell services or go to the bell services desk to use their insulin or other refrigerated meds?
    I agree 100%. That was just what I was told with my son's insulin when I requested the medical fridge. I instantly asked, "Are those guaranteed" and was told no the supply was limited, but bell services had a fridge if necessary.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: