Quantcast Animal Kingdom: do you love or hate it and what would you do to improve it - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Opus X Guest

We love it more everytime we go.
    E.E. is fantastic and the rapids is a great ride also.
    Kids like the shows a lot and I personally LOVE the trails and the details in each area....
    It is a must do every visit.
    As far as improving it?.....I guess maybe a great dark ride...something long like Splash or Pirates..
    It doesn't have to be a thrill, just a really good classic style boat dark ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not like AK before I had children. As I've said in the past. Once I had my sons, AK became a whole new world [pun intended ] for me. I saw something new and exciting through their eyes.

Really? Nothing to do, not many attractions? We just went this past Saturday. Got there at 9:30am and left at 4pm [because my son was tired]. And no way did we do everything.
    What we did do AND loved as always:

Finding Nemo: The Musical
    Kali River Rapids
    Convservation Station/Petting Area
    Safari
    The Boneyard
    Tough to Be a Bug
    Ate at Restaurantasarous
    Shopped just a bit
    Watched the monkeys in Asia
    Watched some dancers in Asia
    Watched African performers

Didn't even get too Flights of Wonder
    EE, FOTLK, Meet n Greets, etc.

The one thing I would like to see added was more types of animals in the petting area.

But even at Conservation Station there are little shows, exhibits, etc. And the cast memebers there are so knowledgable.

Even walking through the beginning just taking time to spy the animals and watch them. Talk to the Cast members who have the various small animals from reptiles to insects in their cases and give little "shows about them"....so much to see and do, and learn!

And then doing the new Wilderness Tour [which we did not even get too!]
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I like it but would like to see more rides. It's a half day park for me. I always buy a park hopper so that isn't an issue but I would never want to buy a magic your way ticket just to go to AK.
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

Everything in the world (both real world and disney world) has its place, and that's how I think about AK.

We're not USUALLY in a rush to get everything done at AK (GO! GO! GO!) so we're able to sit, enjoy a meal, have a drink, talk, and just be together (which is what I love about Disney vacations). We think AK is one of the best places to talk to cast members, because there are so many of them on hand to discuss the animals. DBF loves EE and I love the Safari ride. I see no problem with going to AK. :-)

Some trips we don't even consider it. Other trips its the highlight of our vacation. I'm in the "love it" camp, but I love most things Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this before, here and elsewhere, I think I need to post it again:

Animal Kingdon is fastly becoming my favorite theme park in Walt Disney World... While I enjoy all the parks, there is something about Animal Kingdom that grips me... What exactly is it about Animal Kingdom that I love so much??? I am not sure... Maybe it is the theme... Maybe it is the story... Maybe it is the scenary... Maybe it is the attention to detail the Imagineers put in designing the park... Maybe, it is the fact that it is a different kind of theme park that I like so much...

When Animal Kingdom first opened, I admit, I hated it... I felt the park was too big, too spaced out... Too much walking had to be done, which tired you out too fast, especially in the hot Florida summer sun... There were not enough ride, not emough to do.. Animal Kingdom was, in the begnning, nothing but a half day park, and really, a waste of a day... In my opinion...

But now, I can spend the entire day in Animal Kingdom... I can spend half the morning just walking around taking in the scenary, exploring Discovery trails... I can spend a lot of time in the queues, checking out the artifacts, and piecing together the story the Imagineers are trying to tell with the attraction... When I walk through Africa, I feel like I am atually transported to a real African village, waiting to take a real life African safari... Exiting Africa and entering Asia, I am transported to the Asian continent; where I can explore the Asian forests and jungles, see the animals in person that call Asia their home, and where I can climb to the top of Mount Everest and encounter the mythical yeti... I can travel over a billion years back in time and visit the age of the dinosaurs, and become sidetracked by a hokey road side carnival that is grossly out place and extremely tack, yet very fun at the same time... And then finally, over to a desert oasis, where we find out how tough it is to be a bug, and where the Tree of Life inspires us to respect and appreciate all forms life, whether human or animal or otherwise...

Sure, Animal Kingdom is not a complete theme park, not by any Disney theme park standard... But, what the park lacks in rides it makes up for in theme, in detail.. There are plenty of hidden trails for you to explore... There is plenty to see and more to do than one might think... Would Beastly Kingdomme have solved this issue??? Don't know, and we never will, so there really is no sense dwelling on it.... Would a new land help out?? Well, it cannot hurt... The Australian Outback or even Mysterious Island complete with Tokyo DisneySea's Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction will do wonders for Animal Kingdom... But, again, no sense dwelling on something that is not here... Let's just appreciate what we do have, and enjoy Animal Kingdom for what it is... A theme park wonder and an Imagineering triumph...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    I posted this before, here and elsewhere, I think I need to post it again:

Animal Kingdon is fastly becoming my favorite theme park in Walt Disney World... While I enjoy all the parks, there is something about Animal Kingdom that grips me... What exactly is it about Animal Kingdom that I love so much??? I am not sure... Maybe it is the theme... Maybe it is the story... Maybe it is the scenary... Maybe it is the attention to detail the Imagineers put in designing the park... Maybe, it is the fact that it is a different kind of theme park that I like so much...

When Animal Kingdom first opened, I admit, I hated it... I felt the park was too big, too spaced out... Too much walking had to be done, which tired you out too fast, especially in the hot Florida summer sun... There were not enough ride, not emough to do.. Animal Kingdom was, in the begnning, nothing but a half day park, and really, a waste of a day... In my opinion...

But now, I can spend the entire day in Animal Kingdom... I can spend half the morning just walking around taking in the scenary, exploring Discovery trails... I can spend a lot of time in the queues, checking out the artifacts, and piecing together the story the Imagineers are trying to tell with the attraction... When I walk through Africa, I feel like I am atually transported to a real African village, waiting to take a real life African safari... Exiting Africa and entering Asia, I am transported to the Asian continent; where I can explore the Asian forests and jungles, see the animals in person that call Asia their home, and where I can climb to the top of Mount Everest and encounter the mythical yeti... I can travel over a billion years back in time and visit the age of the dinosaurs, and become sidetracked by a hokey road side carnival that is grossly out place and extremely tack, yet very fun at the same time... And then finally, over to a desert oasis, where we find out how tough it is to be a bug, and where the Tree of Life inspires us to respect and appreciate all forms life, whether human or animal or otherwise...

Sure, Animal Kingdom is not a complete theme park, not by any Disney theme park standard... But, what the park lacks in rides it makes up for in theme, in detail.. There are plenty of hidden trails for you to explore... There is plenty to see and more to do than one might think... Would Beastly Kingdomme have solved this issue??? Don't know, and we never will, so there really is no sense dwelling on it.... Would a new land help out?? Well, it cannot hurt... The Australian Outback or even Mysterious Island complete with Tokyo DisneySea's Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction will do wonders for Animal Kingdom... But, again, no sense dwelling on something that is not here... Let's just appreciate what we do have, and enjoy Animal Kingdom for what it is... A theme park wonder and an Imagineering triumph...
    This is perfectly put! The Pan. Trail is amazing in itself. I guess it all depends on one's likes/dislikes.
    I'd actually like to go, sans kiddos now just so I can take the time to really look, where-as my kiddos are on the go and don't want to look at every little thing.

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks Everyone !!!!

This is why I like this place so much.

I love the idea of an Australian land. An excellent idea SBETigg.

DizneyFreak2002 well put.

And everyone else, I thank you for giving your opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have really strong opinions on AK either way. I can take it or leave it. (Hey...podcast segment idea!)

In fact, on my last two trips, I haven't even thought about going over there. And, I haven't missed it.

But, I do like Expedition Everest, even without the working Yeti. I think it's a fantastic roller coaster. I also like the Lion King show and I LOVE Flame Tree BBQ! I actually even like the Primeval Whirl roller coaster.

At this time, I basically go to AK if someone else in my group wants to go. I generally don't care much about seeing animals, so that part of it really doesn't appeal to me at all.

The Avatar thing won't sway me either way. I'll check it out when it is done just to see it, but if they scrap the idea tomorrow, I wouldn't care much.

I think it's fine the way it is, because it appeals to many people the way it is and it helps absorb some crowds, so that's always a good thing.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

It's the lowest on our priority list. My biggest grip with it is the humidity. I know they need to keep it moist for the animals and plants but no matter the temperature outside, I feel like a sweaty hot mess when we are there.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

AK has become our favorite park at Disney. The attractions they have there are great, but not our main draw. We also love the shows. But we really enjoy the animals and the peaceful/relaxed feel of the park.

We never get the sense that it's just a "zoo". They do so much more there that people often ignore (or don't know). The park is just as much for the animals as it is for the visitors. They have breeding programs, health care, and use the animals as a tremendous education opportunity.

I always look forward to going back - each trip is different when it comes to the animals.

Post Thanks / Like

....gotta' admit ...the Australian themed area is intriguing.

....however ...the "animal kingdom' is not limited to only Africa, Asia and whatever other "parts unknown" that most people think about.

....perhaps there could be some form of expansion / area ....that brings into play the forests / woodlands of the American Northwest / Pacific Northwest / Redwood Forest ...etc. And ...in doing so ...they could theme and area / attraction / ride to feature ..of course the wildlife of those regions ...but, also include the mystical / mythical / perhaps even very real ....Sasquatch!! It's always been compare to the Yeti ...and there could be some cross-promotion between EE and such a newly themed area ...."Come see the Yeti's North American cousin" ...I mean ...the possibilities are endless. Perhaps an indoor coaster or ride that features the dense / dark redwood forest ....it could almost give the "feel" that is portrayed in the Star Wars Return of The Jedi speeder bike chase scene in the forest with the huge trees (and no ...I'm not suggesting a Star Wars Themed ride / attraction / area.)

....I'm sure that in some mind (that Disney of course 'owns' ) ...someone will say that "we thought about that already". But ...if not ...and such an attraction does materialize in the future ...you heard it here first ....and I want my royalties !!
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    ....gotta' admit ...the Australian themed area is intriguing.

....however ...the "animal kingdom' is not limited to only Africa, Asia and whatever other "parts unknown" that most people think about.

....perhaps there could be some form of expansion / area ....that brings into play the forests / woodlands of the American Northwest / Pacific Northwest / Redwood Forest ...etc. And ...in doing so ...they could theme and area / attraction / ride to feature ..of course the wildlife of those regions ...but, also include the mystical / mythical / perhaps even very real ....Sasquatch!! It's always been compare to the Yeti ...and there could be some cross-promotion between EE and such a newly themed area ...."Come see the Yeti's North American cousin" ...I mean ...the possibilities are endless. Perhaps an indoor coaster or ride that features the dense / dark redwood forest ....it could almost give the "feel" that is portrayed in the Star Wars Return of The Jedi speeder bike chase scene in the forest with the huge trees (and no ...I'm not suggesting a Star Wars Themed ride / attraction / area.)

....I'm sure that in some mind (that Disney of course 'owns' ) ...someone will say that "we thought about that already". But ...if not ...and such an attraction does materialize in the future ...you heard it here first ....and I want my royalties !!
    Yes!! Love these ideas! Because I see Animal Kingdom as much more than an "animal park". But a nature/conservation/wonders of the world kind of thing. They should absolutely expand their ideas to a worldwide theme!!

Post Thanks / Like

My family spend half the day there. We enjoy the rides but not so much the shows and animal attractions (except for KS). My family feels they need to include more air conditioned buildings/attractions to make this park worth an entire day.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

I like AK. The park deffiently needs a expansion and needs more hours. We normally stay for only a couple hours a day when we stay on property. AK is an enjoyable park for me but needs more attractions

Post Thanks / Like

Do you like or dislike going to AK ?
    Generally dislike. The only thing I care for is the Nemo musical, which is 10x better than the real movie was. Everything else, I could leave it.

Do you feel that the park is a 'zoo' ?
    No, I live in Ft. Worth, Texas. We have one of the best zoos. No, i'm not sure what AK is. Sure it has a zoo like feel in some parts, but others, its like a part of Universal or something. Just feels like another kind of park, but not a Disney park.

Is it worth the money to go there ?
    Anything is worth trying once. The Nemo show keeps us coming back.

What would you do to improve this park?
    Save Nemo. Bulldoze the rest and try again. Oh, and no avatar anything. Also, if you can't see the tree and everything clearly from the entrance, it doesn't feel disney enough to me. That is what I like about Epcot and MK. DHS, needs to move the stupid hat out of the way of the theatre.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

We like it, my mom says it is her favourite park and she loves the theming.

I disagree that it is a half-day park. We spent a day and a half day last visit and we were still pushed for time. Basically if you do it properly it is not a half day park. The rides and shows there are great and there is a whole lot else to see. I love having the chance to learn about the animals and about conservation.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

It needs a few more attractions. Maybe a couple of dark rides and more places with AC.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    It needs a few more attractions. Maybe a couple of dark rides and more places with AC.
    I like the AC idea, however I have to admit, it would kind of defeat the purpose of AK as a conservation/Eco park as well [I know, I know!! They are not all that Eco. Don't want to start that debate ]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Opus X View Post
    As far as improving it?.....I guess maybe a great dark ride...something long like Splash or Pirates..
    It doesn't have to be a thrill, just a really good classic style boat dark ride.
    It boggles my mind how there is not one of these here.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I think to truly enjoy it you need to (obviously?) be a bit of a animal person. Walt immersed himself in many animal related activities during both his personal and professional life. This park I think is in no small part a tribute to and reflection of that life.

The park is what it is - very strong on the animal interaction through shows, pop-up animal stations, the Conservation Station, etc. and the rides/shows already mentioned. As with everything else Disney it's really personal choice. I don't think we've ever spent an entire day at the park (but really, who spends an ENTIRE day at any of the parks!) but we have always found plenty to entertain and never skip it on our trips. Now our trips have always been several days minimum and if we had a "quickie" and had to skip a park....AK may get the short end of the stick.
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL