Quantcast Avoid EMH for a better experience!!!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Avoid EMH for a better experience!!!!

We spent 10 days at WDW ending last week. The parks with EMH were so crazy it was hard to enjoy the "magic". However, if we went to a park that was not having EMH, the crowds were very manageable. This was true at all parks. We also found that if we went to a park the morning AFTER they had EMH the night before, the crowds were almost as light as I remember them in the off season. EMH is really not a big perk anymore in my opinion.....especially at MK and DHS......because it just creates chaos this time of the year. But I guess I can thank that for other parks being quieter!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

im a big fan of evening emh. love the late nights
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiDisneyFan View Post
    We also found that if we went to a park the morning AFTER they had EMH the night before, the crowds were almost as light as I remember them in the off season.
    We've employed this tactic for years. Love it.
    to Intercot!
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

We also found that if we went to a park the morning AFTER they had EMH the night before, the crowds were almost as light as I remember them in the off season.
    We do this too. To me, this is one of those planning tips that separates us Disney nuts from the other 99% of people that visit the World.
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC
    '16 VGF

Post Thanks / Like

We spent 10 days at WDW ending last week. The parks with EMH were so crazy it was hard to enjoy the "magic". However, if we went to a park that was not having EMH, the crowds were very manageable. This was true at all parks. We also found that if we went to a park the morning AFTER they had EMH the night before, the crowds were almost as light as I remember them in the off season. EMH is really not a big perk anymore in my opinion.....especially at MK and DHS......because it just creates chaos this time of the year. But I guess I can thank that for other parks being quieter!!
    Did you get to the parks after EMH had already begun? We usually find that those first few hours during morning EMH is when we get the most rides in.

On our trip in early June 2011, we tried the non-EMH plan. We got to a non-EMH park right at opening, and there were hordes of people coming in with us. In DHS, it was hard to move.

Granted, I found out later that these were the last few days before the Florida resident pass blockout went into effect, but I wished we had kept to our tried-and-true strategy of using morning EMH, then hopping to another park or our resort around lunchtime.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

We avoid the Emh parks like the plague. Just not worth the effort and mess. We have an algorithm to determine what park we go to. Combination of chance of rain, coupled with known crowd flows and then EMH hours.

Opus X Guest

It is a fact that the parks without emh's for that given day...are less busy.
    We never have nor ever will goto a park that had/has an EMH. Every planning web site or book will tell you..(along with our experience) to avoid that park.

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nascfan View Post
    We've employed this tactic for years. Love it.
    to Intercot!
    YEP!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Opus X View Post
    It is a fact that the parks without emh's for that given day...are less busy.
    We never have nor ever will goto a park that had/has an EMH. Every planning web site or book will tell you..(along with our experience) to avoid that park.
    Right. That's why we did it on that trip in 2011. And for us, that plan failed miserably. For us, it was not a "fact" that the parks without EMHs for the day were less busy. They weren't. They were mobbed first thing in the morning and never let up. Just pointing out that OUR experiences using morning EMH have been beneficial to us, and I wouldn't want people to think they absolutely can't be useful. As with anything, your mileage may vary.

Also wanted to note that the very well-known and respected planning website that we used estimated crowds at 6 or 7 out of 10 for the days we were there. I've been on many trips at various times of year, and I can tell you those estimates were quite wrong.

We've found in our and other family member's last few trips that there's very little black-and-white or "can't miss" planning anymore, just as it's become very hard to predict with certainty periods of low crowds. You used to be able to say with great confidence that January and September were the best months to visit WDW in terms of crowds. If you read these boards you'll find those months are no guarantee of low crowds anymore.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use EMH PM at MK. Never found MK too crowded since there are enough attractions stay open and its usually later than the other parks so the crowds dont stick around long.

Epcot and DHS EMH PM were extremely crowded the very few times I did it so never again.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

On our next trip, despite being there 9 days, we're only likely to use EMH twice (one evening and one morning).

Post Thanks / Like

We used EMH at MK one evening in October and we pretty much walked on every ride.

I don't think I have ever used a morning EMH.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the tidbit about going to a park the morning after it has an EMH in the evening. (Does that make sense)?
    I have had great success with MK EMH evening hours, back before we had kids. I've never been to a morning EMH b/c I just can't get up that early!!!
    Susan A

Post Thanks / Like

Time of year plays a big factor in EMH days as well. When we usually go in early Sept the parks with EMH's are still very manageable during normal hours and pretty empty during the 3 extra hours.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

This is why we always get park hoppers. We can go early for morning EMH first thing when it's not crowded, then hop to another park. We can spend most the day at a non-EMH park, then hop just for the EMH late night hours once things have quieted down at the EMH park. If one park seems too packed for whatever reason, we can just try another one. Our strategy isn't to avoid EMH. It's to make sure we can always hop around. Besides, I just can't imagine spending all day in one park. We like to mix it up.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    This is why we always get park hoppers. We can go early for morning EMH first thing when it's not crowded, then hop to another park. We can spend most the day at a non-EMH park, then hop just for the EMH late night hours once things have quieted down at the EMH park. If one park seems too packed for whatever reason, we can just try another one. Our strategy isn't to avoid EMH. It's to make sure we can always hop around. Besides, I just can't imagine spending all day in one park. We like to mix it up.
    Spontaneous! Now we cannot have that The joy of park hopping will soon be taken away by the FP+ party pooper
    10/89 honeymoon off-site
    11/93 off-site last trip pre-child
    12/01 ASMovies first trip for kids
    10/04 POFQ
    02/09 Pop and first cruise on Wonder
    03/10 POFQ trip to see CFHS Tiger Band!
    03/14 VWL to see DD2 and the CFHS Tiger Band!

Post Thanks / Like

We're serious park hoppers, too. I'm grateful for the tip about hitting a park the morning after it's had EMH. In the past, we could never get up early enough to enjoy the morning EMH. Maybe this trip will be different, we're older and we get up a LOT earlier than we used to. We don't stay up as late, either. Although, we ARE doing the Food and WIne Festival this year. We may end up sleeping in a few mornings, depending on how much "sampling" we do the night before.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, you can't really make a blanket statement about avoiding the EMH parks because the morning and evening EMH are two separate entities. If you go to the morning EMH right at park opening and only stay for the first couple of hours or so, you can get a lot of stuff done and the crowds aren't bad. You then hop over to a non-EMH park for the remainder of the day. As far as the evening EMH, if you stay until the end of the EMH time-frame, the crowds will greatly thin out. However, chances are that it will be very crowded for the first hour or two.

To us, the early morning EMH is definitely worth it, as long as you are ready to hop when it starts to get really congested. The evening EMH's are not valuable to us, mainly because we don't like to stay in the parks late enough to make it worthwhile.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    As far as the evening EMH, if you stay until the end of the EMH time-frame, the crowds will greatly thin out. However, chances are that it will be very crowded for the first hour or two.
    Just an FYI....You do know that evening EMH has been dropped from 3 hours to 2......Sounds like they did not like that last hour being so dead. Guess they weren't making any money from guess in whatever shops were still open.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bxrluv View Post
    Spontaneous! Now we cannot have that The joy of park hopping will soon be taken away by the FP+ party pooper
    It's not going to stop me from being spontaneous most of the time. Like I work around dining reservations, I will work around ride times. Though, yes, it adds an extra element to tone down some of the spontaneity. But they won't stop me from having my Disney experience my way. Try as they might. Insert your favorite Disney villain's laugh here.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: