Quantcast East Coast Extravaganza! Amish Country and Gettysburg. Part 9

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default East Coast Extravaganza! Amish Country and Gettysburg. Part 9

We left first thing in the morning on Saturday and drove the hour or so to Amish Country. We spotted a little Amish Farmers Market that we stopped to check out. I love how simple they live their lives, but some of the men sort of creep me out. I mean absolutely no disrespect, but they had a very unique look.

We had lunch at a Cracker Barrel against our better judgment. Landon asked to eat there and we said OK, but it took forever. So much wasted time there.

We went across the street to the Amish House and Farm and did the tour. Very interesting to learn of their history and how they still live today. Very simple, yet extremely interesting. We loved the house tour, and seeing and learning about their clothing rules. We loved learning about the school house and how their schools are so different from other schools. Landon loved seeing all the little animals on the farm and Collin thought it was cool that they only go to school through 8th grade. This would be Collin's last year of school!

Next we headed to Gettysburg. This was probably the highlight of the trip for DH. We were going to do another open top bus tour, but the weather wasn't looking so great. We did not want to get soaked then have to drive for several hours after. Instead we did the self guided tour using a CD we purchased for just $16. This was perfect for us. I drove so DH could look at the map and it was very easy to pause the CD if we wanted more time or needed to stop for something. The boys were so quiet in the car you could have heard a pin drop, which NEVER happens in my car with my kids.

This tour was very interesting and informative. We had the boys watch a few different movies or videos in preparation for the many locations we would visit on this trip and it was great to see them put two and two together so often on the trip. I think they really have a better grasp of a lot of what they've been learning about in school all these years. I have to say, DH and I gave ourselves a pat on the back for exposing the boys to all this history and were very happy to see them totally interested.

DH was like a little kid on Christmas morning. Being a military guy this was totally awesome for him to drive through and see all these places where this war took place.

As for the town of Gettysburg, we loved it. It was charming and quaint. We had dinner at a Brewery and Restaurant. DH brews his own beer at home so this place was totally up his ally. It was located at a Quality Inn, I believe, that was attached to what was once General Lee's Headquarters. Very cool! Over dinner we contemplated spending the night in Gettysburg instead of driving on so that we could have more time, but we decided if we ever wanted to make it home we really needed to move on.

From there we took a beautiful drive through mostly mountains until we were almost in Asheville, North Carolina. We stopped for the night just about an hour and a half before we got to Asheville. Asheville was our goal for the night but we couldn't go any more.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh so glad you saw Gettysburg. I did my undergraduate college there and adore the town. I'm heading back just to visit for the day in a few weeks. I can't wait!
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    We had dinner at a Brewery and Restaurant. DH brews his own beer at home so this place was totally up his ally. It was located at a Quality Inn, I believe, that was attached to what was once General Lee's Headquarters. Very cool!
    Appalachian Brewing Company... in case anyone is interested.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I walked all of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg a few years back on a warm February day. It was very exciting and sad at the same time.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Appalachian Brewing Company... in case anyone is interested.
    Yes, that would be it! Thanks.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: