Quantcast Grand Floridian

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Grand Floridian

So with upcoming construction due to start at the Poly in September, I have changed resorts from Poly to GF for our November.

So for all the GF fans: tell me all about it. This will be our first time at a monorail resort. DH isn't too thrilled about GF; but knows it's been my dream to stay there. He thinks we should have gone back to AKL with the Poly construction. But with 30% off, it was hard to pass up GF. Although, I must admit; I'm not overly impressed with the decor of the rooms (hoping it looks better in person).
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you will find the Grand Floridian not quite as stuffy as you might think it is. We stayed there once in the Boca Chico section - just by what is now the quiet pool. Our room was very large, had a huge balcony, and overlooked Narcoosee's. We could even see the higher fireworks from Wishes over the roof of Narcoosee's.

We enjoyed our stay there very much. The main building was just a short walk away. While there, we made sure we tried out some of the restaurants offered at the Grand Floridian - for example, it was the first time we dined at Citrico's (We have now returned multiple times to this restaurant). We also used the quick service location a number of times.

The boat to the Magic Kingdom is also nice and, depending on which building you are in, might be a shorter walk than heading over to the monorail.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed there just have to say though it is on my bucket list enjoy

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

What construction? Are they building DVC's?

Post Thanks / Like

The rooms are lovely, well-appointed. You get used to the Victorian touches after a day or so. Not to worry, the overall feel is always very "hotel room" and not "staying in Grandma's attic." I love the lobby, shopping, dining, lounges, beach, pools, pool bars, and ease of transportation. Gasparilla Grill is a 24 hour snack stop, which comes in handy. Feel free to be casual and comfortable. The theming does make some people feel it's stuffy, but I think it's all in your own attitude and what you bring to it.

We normally take the monorail to the MK (or TTC for Epcot) and the boat launch back from MK. The boat loop goes from MK to GF to Poly to MK. So if you take the boat from the GF to MK, you make a stop at Poly first. But coming back, you're the first stop. If you're pool people, the GF actually has it over the Poly for us. Two large, very nice pools (one quiet, one on the beach) plus hot tub. The volcano pool at the Poly seems cool in theme, but it actually feels crowded quite easily, plus the quiet pool is fairly standard, nothing special, and no hot tub.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    The rooms are lovely, well-appointed. You get used to the Victorian touches after a day or so. Not to worry, the overall feel is always very "hotel room" and not "staying in Grandma's attic." I love the lobby, shopping, dining, lounges, beach, pools, pool bars, and ease of transportation. Gasparilla Grill is a 24 hour snack stop, which comes in handy. Feel free to be casual and comfortable. The theming does make some people feel it's stuffy, but I think it's all in your own attitude and what you bring to it.

We normally take the monorail to the MK (or TTC for Epcot) and the boat launch back from MK. The boat loop goes from MK to GF to Poly to MK. So if you take the boat from the GF to MK, you make a stop at Poly first. But coming back, you're the first stop. If you're pool people, the GF actually has it over the Poly for us. Two large, very nice pools (one quiet, one on the beach) plus hot tub. The volcano pool at the Poly seems cool in theme, but it actually feels crowded quite easily, plus the quiet pool is fairly standard, nothing special, and no hot tub.
    My thoughts echo Sherri's. We have always enjoyed our stays there. The CM's are wonderful and our encounters with other folks staying at the hotel have always been friendly. I think you're going to love it!
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

After avoiding the GF for the last 15 years (thought it would be to stuffy) we finally stayed there in 2012 and we really enjoyed it (with DS7 & DD11). The transportation is very good (boats, monorail, buses). The main pool is very big and never seemed busy and the "grotto" pool was a hit with the kids (although they prefered the main pool). They had a lot of kid activities like any Disney resort. We will be returing to the GF on our next trip.
    Keneva

---------------------------------
    WDW
    Aug 2022 CR Wing
    Aug 2014 BC & GF Club
    Aug 2012 Swan & Grand Floridian Club
    Aug 2010 Poly LVC
    Aug 2008 Poly LVC
    Aug 2006 CR Club
    Jan 2001 Poly LVC (Honeymoon)
    Oct 1995 Off-site

DL
    1967-69 Several Visits (Green Lantern Motel?)

Post Thanks / Like

Never stayed there , but did go for dinner last September. So fancy was the lobby that I felt like a bum just walking in.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed there several years ago and often pass through to have dinner at Narcoosee's. I'm just a UPS man (recently retired) and I never felt out of place if that's your worry. We are actually going to stay there the first week of December, the first time in 41 years I could get off work during the holidays. Go and enjoy!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

We are staying at the GF for the first time in Sept too. I am really looking forward to it and checking another resort off my must do list.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at the GF and have tried others but we will always go back to the GF. It is peaceful and quiet. Some guest act snobbish but we could care less. The CM are always nice and they leave you alone unless you need something. Outside of fireworks at the MK it is quiet.You will enjoy

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: