Quantcast New Refillable Mug Program

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Refillable Mug Program

Well, we knew they WDW wasn't going to just stick with the old refillable mug program (too much abuse) but their original RFID trial was a bust. It's now been announced that beginning this month at the All-Star Resorts a new "tiered" refillable mug program is rolling out called Rapid Fill. This will be at all resorts ASAP.

Basically Rapid Fill will use RFID to allow guests to select a time-frame for their mugs instead of a "length-of-stay" only option as has been the case. At the end of the period, the mug deactivate. You can use the mug at any resort quick service fountain, not just your home resort. Not sure about in the parks but there was no mention of using them in the parks.

Here's the pricing (and a "day" is a calendar day not a 24 hour period so if you arrive late in the day you'd be better to wait until the next morning to purchase): $8.99 for 1 day, $11.99 for 2, $14.99 for 3, and length of stay is $17.99.

This will still be included in some Disney Dining Plans. You will not be able to use any previous mugs or outside mugs for this. You'll have to get a new mug each visit. There will be an LCD screen on the dispensers that show you how many days are remaining on your mug.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan at all. Tiered or not at the end of the day they're just increasing the price $3 per mug for length of stay. Since we use ours for coffee only I don't see anymore mugs in our future unless they're a great design.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Not a fan at all. Tiered or not at the end of the day they're just increasing the price $3 per mug for length of stay. Since we use ours for coffee only I don't see anymore mugs in our future unless they're a great design.
    Agreed, Lynn! Wow, that length of stay $ is crazy. The only plus to the new system is that you can use it at all the resorts. And I'm hoping they did away with only being able to get one refill in a certain time period that they was in the original test?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't drink soda, nor do I drink the coffee at WDW and thus don't buy these, but the $18 doesn't seem too bad to me.

I assume if you buy this thing you are the kind of person who uses it a lot. If one stays for five days (is that about the average?) then maybe you fill that thing up five times a day for 25 beverages? That's not a bad per-drink price, right? Plus you get a mug to take home with you.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Considering it's been in the $13-14 range the last few years, I think that's a big jump. And to be honest, for example if I'm at my favorite resort, CSR, in the Ranchos section, it IS a long haul over to El Centro just for a refill. Especially with how small the mug's capacity has gotten. Maybe the new mugs will be slightly larger?

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is--leave it to Disney World to even further complicate an already muddled system.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    And I'm hoping they did away with only being able to get one refill in a certain time period that they was in the original test?
    My understanding is that was done away with. That was one of the big flops from the original test so it won't be an issue this go round.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

This, IMHO, is totally outlandish. WDW gets all of their fountain drinks for free from the Coca Cola company....that's right FREE. No cost...nada! They talk about food court theft...what about the theft of your mugs now....because they now will have valueduring your stay...you won't be able to leave them unattended while in the pool or enjoying another activity for fear of loss...then what....are they gonna believe it was stolen and issue you another?

And lastly, we all know that technology isn't always reliable. Can you imagine the chaos at at refill station if the "reader" is on the fritz? OMG....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Disney World but isn't this just a little too much...really?

Thanks for letting me vent...
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WishingStar2006 View Post
    This, IMHO, is totally outlandish. WDW gets all of their fountain drinks for free from the Coca Cola company....that's right FREE. No cost...nada!
    They may get the syrup for free, but they have a contract to pay for the use of the dispensers (or at least that's my understanding).
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

This, IMHO, is totally outlandish. WDW gets all of their fountain drinks for free from the Coca Cola company....that's right FREE. No cost...nada! They talk about food court theft...what about the theft of your mugs now....because they now will have valueduring your stay...you won't be able to leave them unattended while in the pool or enjoying another activity for fear of loss...then what....are they gonna believe it was stolen and issue you another?

And lastly, we all know that technology isn't always reliable. Can you imagine the chaos at at refill station if the "reader" is on the fritz? OMG....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Disney World but isn't this just a little too much...really?

Thanks for letting me vent...

Agreed!!!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

They talk about food court theft...what about the theft of your mugs now....because they now will have valueduring your stay...you won't be able to leave them unattended while in the pool or enjoying another activity for fear of loss...then what....are they gonna believe it was stolen and issue you another?
    That what your in-room safe is for.

Seriously though, your refillable mug could be stolen under the old system. Before the scanning system, all mugs were good. I've never felt my mug would be stolen. I just don't buy that as a valid argument.

Overall, I don't see the new mugs as a real big deal.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Agreed, Lynn! Wow, that length of stay $ is crazy. The only plus to the new system is that you can use it at all the resorts. And I'm hoping they did away with only being able to get one refill in a certain time period that they was in the original test?
    Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    My understanding is that was done away with. That was one of the big flops from the original test so it won't be an issue this go round.
    Under the new program, there will be four 20 oz refills allowed per hour.

Yesterday, I posted a lot of the details of the new program in this thread.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post

I am reposting this article...

Something new is coming to all the Disney hotels here in the Walt Disney World Resort in the next few weeks:

A new refillable mug program — Rapid Fill — will roll out at resort locations with self-service beverage stations at Walt Disney World Resort hotels. The introduction of these new mugs will take place in a phased approach beginning in July with Disney’s All Star Resorts, where the program originally piloted in 2011. The new Rapid Fill mugs have a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip installed in the mug that allows it to be programmed for multiple days (with the option of adding additional days) all the way through Guests’ entire length of stay (even more than 14 days, but they have to be CONSECUTIVE). Mugs will allow Guests to refill beverages at any resort self-service beverage station. Guests also will be able to check their remaining days available on the fountain beverage dispenser’s LCD communication display. Rapid Fill mugs may be purchased and used at any resort self-service beverage island. Disney Dining Plan Guests will receive this mug as part of their package.

Here you are just some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) you may have about the "Rapid Fill" mugs:

- What's the difference between the current Resort Refillable mugs and the Rapid Fill mugs?
    The Rapid Fill mugs offer Guests flexibility by allowing them to choose one, two, or three days of refills or for their entire length of stay. The RFID (radio frequency identification) chip installed in the mug alerts Guests as to how many days they have remaining on their mug. The program was tested in 2011 at Disney’s All Star Resorts and is similar to the technology currently used in mugs sold at Disney water parks.*

- Can non-Walt Disney World Resort Guests purchase and use the mug?*
    Yes. Anyone can purchase and use the Rapid Fill mugs at any resort self-service beverage station.

- Can the Rapid Fill mugs be used in multiple resort hotels?*
    Yes. The Rapid Fill mugs may be enjoyed at any resort hotel self-service beverage station.*

- Can I bring the same Rapid Fill mug each time I visit the Walt Disney World Resort?
    No, past mugs cannot be activated for future visits. Guests who purchase the Length of Stay option for Rapid Fill program can use the mug for fourteen (14) consecutive days after activation. Guests can extend the mug beyond the 14-day Length of Stay option as long as it’s still within the current length of stay.*
    - If the mug is activated for first use at 5 p.m., will the one day count until 5 p.m. the next day?
    No, the day will end at 11:59 p.m. that night. Each day is a calendar day (12:01 a.m. – 11:59 p.m.), not a 24-hour period.*Whenever the mug is used for the first time, regardless of *time of day, the mug will expire for that day at midnight.*

- Can the current water park mug be used in resorts?*
    No. The current water park mug is only valid in water parks, with no resort add-on option. However, Guests soon *will be able to add a water park option for their mug.

- Can Guests purchase a Resort Rapid Fill mug anywhere at Walt Disney World Resort?*
    Resort Rapid Fill mugs may only be purchased at Walt Disney World Resort hotels with self-service beverage *stations.

- If a Guest prefers not to purchase the Rapid Fill mug, can they purchase a regular mug instead?
    The Rapid Fill mugs will be the only refillable mugs available at this time. Guests may choose to purchase*
    nonrefillable paper cups for their drinks if they prefer.

- Can mugs be microwaved?
    No, the mug cannot be microwaved.

- What is the price of the Rapid Fill mug?
    The prices of the mugs vary based on Guest preference for number of days for refills, as follows:
    $8.99 for 1 day
    $11.99 for 2 days
    $14.99 for 3 days
    $17.99 for length of stay (4+ days)
    Question 1: What is the rule if you are doing split resort stays, is the "length of stay" valid only at your stay at that specific resort, or for all of WDW property. I just don't see how they can manage proving that you have reservations at 3 different resorts, some using rented points and some paying cash. But even if it is simply 5 days at Pop and 5 days at AKL, will they let you get 10 days activated?

Question 2: I sure hope they do not intent to prohibit "same-meal" refills on paper cups, but that is exactly how I read the Q&A highlighted above.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Question Where did you see this

please explain where you got this information
    out of this article
    ? I read the whole article and could NOT find that anywhere in it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    It is stated in the Q&A section of the OrlandoParkNews article dated July 7 so I see it as rumor as opposed to fact for the moment. Also, he responds the plan was not the plan is,

From OrlandoParkNews:
    Actually he states that it is under the new system and NEVER states that the limit is on the paper cups. Instead he responded to someone asking about limits on the refillable cups. Which this would be misinformation. The omission of words or information changes everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Our reservation has the free refillable mug thing listed, does that mean they give us the mug and we purchase the refills? Never had this before.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    Our reservation has the free refillable mug thing listed, does that mean they give us the mug and we purchase the refills? Never had this before.
    If you are on a dining plan, the mug is included with free refills for your length of stay. You will NOT have to purchase refills.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

bummer, I'm one of the cheapies that still uses the mug I got way back when in 1995, when I was told and it has worked , that it would be free forever. there's no expiration day on it. I guess I made out on that so If I have to pay, I'm ahead so far!
    fw 75-80-85-90
    cbr 95-98-01
    pofq-02-05-09-13-15
    disney wonder aug 08
    Disneyland Mar 18
    Contemporary Dec 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I would love it if they would include the Parks in it too ... but I know that will most likely never happen (or only at a much higher price).

We've had the mug on a lot of trips, and not on some ... and it really didn't make a difference. It was just as cheap to grab a case of water and some pop from Walmart and have it in the room.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    I would love it if they would include the Parks in it too ... but I know that will most likely never happen (or only at a much higher price).
    I'm sure your probably right about the higher price thing...but unless I am already hauling a backpack/diaperbag/etc ...carrying a drink mug around all day through the parks would be too much of a hassle to me...and thus subsequently have little impact on my drink mug purchase decisions.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: