Quantcast GAC abuse to be discussed on Today Show - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This was barely a news story, but the juicy angle of rich people thinking they can buy something the rest of us have to wait for spread it wider, and now the Today show. And that's what clued me in-- the whole article that started the whole mess comes from someone trying to promote their book about things snobby rich people do. It's all good for book promotion. The more they play up the story, the better for that woman's book. She found the perfect promotion hook to start her buzz. That's really all it comes down to in the end. Wouldn't a good reporter have asked the right questions? Can anyone do this? What does it take to get the pass? How widespread is this? But no.

Because, you don't have to be rich to abuse the system. You don't have to hire anybody to use that GAC. We know people rich and poor do it all the time, without having to hire anyone. And most people with money are smart enough to hire Disney's own VIP guide service. But where's the outrage for the media in that? If you have the money, you can hire a private guide, has always been the case. Yep. But that's not a juicy enough angle. So let's spread the word that rich people (maybe only one or two clueless ones because most people know better) buy disabled guides to cut lines. Makes for a much better story, the media gets their viewer outrage, and everyone's happy. Unless they start messing with the system in place to help people who actually need it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope that Disney makes changes to its GAC policy as a result of this story. I personally disagree with the whole concept of the GAC (please don't flame me -- I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and two autistic sons, so I understand special needs). I personally feel that it sets up unrealistic expectations for my children. There is no GAC at the movie theatre or at the school bus stop or anywhere they have to go in their real lives. They have spent so much time in specialized therapies learning what they need to do to get on in the real world, that I personally feel the GAC is contrary to everything they have worked so hard toward for so many years.

Honestly, I think they should get rid of it. The whole system just begs to be abused.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I hope that Disney makes changes to its GAC policy as a result of this story. I personally disagree with the whole concept of the GAC (please don't flame me -- I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and two autistic sons, so I understand special needs). I personally feel that it sets up unrealistic expectations for my children. There is no GAC at the movie theatre or at the school bus stop or anywhere they have to go in their real lives. They have spent so much time in specialized therapies learning what they need to do to get on in the real world, that I personally feel the GAC is contrary to everything they have worked so hard toward for so many years.

Honestly, I think they should get rid of it. The whole system just begs to be abused.
    The GAC is not just for people who can't wait in lines, what about people with physical impairments that need exceptions to enjoy the attraction... i.e. extra time to load/unload, only one vehicle on the ride that can accommodate their chair.... This is all stuff the "real world" accommodates with at busses and movies.

I don't think you should generalize removing an entire system based on one disability that you don't think qualifies.
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    The GAC is not just for people who can't wait in lines, what about people with physical impairments that need exceptions to enjoy the attraction... i.e. extra time to load/unload, only one vehicle on the ride that can accommodate their chair.... This is all stuff the "real world" accommodates with at busses and movies.

I don't think you should generalize removing an entire system based on one disability that you don't think qualifies.
    I agree, I should not so broadly generalize.

But, physical impairments are generally NOT accommodated by the GAC as is pointed out in numerous previous posts. It is intended to address "invisible" issues. The apparent ones can be easily identified and dealt with in regular circumstances.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, this isn't as big a problem that the media wants it to be.

Disney is doing the right thing, strictly from a PR standpoint, in utilizing resources to pursue those who are advertising this service.

Let it die. For the average theme park guest, this doesn't even register as a minor inconvenience.

Beyond that, we have already seen by the posts in this thread; the definition of a what is a disability is an extremely sensitive subject, so if Disney chooses to restrict GAC's and even ECV use, they lose. And they know it.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say this pass doesn't bring you to the front of any lines. It states "Guest can use an alternate attraction entrance where available" which means fast pass line. I don’t think you should even have a pass if you come in a wheel chair. They should pretty much know what entrance you need and accommodate you and your imitate family. The card also states “Not valid for celebrity autograph sessions or celebrity fast pass queue” So you are not really getting too ahead of other guest.(Mickey'sGirl) You are not teaching your boys anything bad since they will most likely stand in a line anyway. Just not a line over 1 hour long. Some Adults/children with disabilities don't handle that well and if their parents/family can use a faster way to move them through. I say use it. Less stress on the family.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation No Shortcut

Having been the "invisibly ill" person in a motorized wheelchair, I can tell you that being in a chair is NOT a faster way to see or do anything at WDW.

*Bathroom breaks are difficult - I actually had a person with their kids in tow, rush around me as I was entering the bathroom and take the only accessible stall available.
    *Long days at the park mean that at some point you will probably have to plug in the chair/scooter to recharge. I used that time to nap.
    *If your chair runs out of "juice" you are in a heap of a situation.
    *I had people that made inapropriate remarks to me on the bus from our resort.
    *At night I was invisible to everyone because I was below the usual line of sight.
    *I had to wait for a second bus to/from the parks many times.

All of this being said, I didn't get a GAC and the only ride that I didn't go thru the regular line was BTMR. They made us ride twice because my chair was on the platform and after the first ride - we would have had to exit from the other side of the tracks.

This was sort of a "perk" I guess but overall, it is MUCH better to be on foot and healthy. Give me a 45 minute line and I will enjoy some ice cream and people watching!
    Nell

Post Thanks / Like

I admit to feeling a "little" mixed. Not arguing the need for GAC..and I like seeing employment opportunities for handicap...but this process of hiring a "family member" still seems a bit on the skanky side.

I've not been really comfortable with GAC being able to fully by pass the lines but...it's hard enough to be handicap...no need to make it harder. And yes I know of several people with "invisible" handicaps in which YES they can "transfer" fine...they can walk...they can ride just about any ride...but they can't stand for long periods of time...they can't handle excessive temps...or they have certian mental disabilities.

Maybe to eliminate this problem is to open up a "purchase pass" in which people can just buy a "pass" to bypass the lines. Make it comparable to hiring these people. Perhaps Disney too could look into hiring these "guides" and giving them an opportunity to actually make a living rather than pawning themselves out.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the segment on the Today Show and Disney released a statement:

"We find it deplorable that people would hire the disabled to abuse accommodations that were designed to permit our guests with disabilities to enjoy their time in our parks. We have initiated a review of this abuse and will take appropriate steps to deter this type of unacceptable activity."

There is the full story on their website along with a statement from the American Association of People with Disabilities.

If nothing else, this news story has started a conversation among people about what is right and wrong, both morally and ethically in these situations. At the most, it should bring to light the importance of having conversations with our kids about tolerance, acceptance, and patience. Another teachable moment in the parks. And as frustrating as it is to know there are people that will continue to abuse the system, I know that the majority of people don’t, and I am glad that they are able to enjoy Disney as much as everyone else.
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

For what is is worth I thought the "expose" this morning was pretty lame...

It was filmed at Disneyland, and I didn't find it riveting at all. Hardly news worthy actually...

A few families beat the system. Shame on them! Hope they are proud of themselves, and Yes, I do wait longer, for a child or adult with a disability to have a good time on a ride. Everyone deserves to have a good time when they go to Disney. Sorry if a few bad people ruin it for everyone.
    My health is MY WEALTH, and I'm thankful for it!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    For what is is worth I thought the "expose" this morning was pretty lame...
    Amen!

I have never had to utilize a GAC card and probably would not, unless an extreme situation came up. However, I do not think that medical documentation should be required to use one. Honestly, if someone is going to abuse the system, they'll find a way, no matter what the requirements. A sad statement, to be sure, but a true one. And I would hate someone (like my sister-in-law or my next door neighbor, who have MS) to feel intimidated about asking for one when they they need it at the Disney parks. If it means I wait a little longer in line at a ride, then so be it. There are just more important things to worry about.

On a side note, I think this type of abuse is somewhat specific to our American society. My family just got back from a trip to France and I have to say that people there really do not tend to abuse or over-use such accommodations. In fact, even taking an elevator is considered taboo if there are stairs and you are at all physically capable of taking them. Don't get me wrong, the accommodation is there--accessible stalls, lifts, etc., but the general public does not use them unless absolutely necessary. I don't have any facts to back it up, but my guess is that GAC cards are not used as much at Disneyland Paris, and would be highly surprised if there is any significant abuse of them.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

The video kind of annoyed me. Since when is a GAC get you access like this? Yes, when we've used it sometimes we get a quicker wait but hardly ever ahead of EVERYONE. And we used the same entrances as wheelchair or fastpass, never behind closed doors.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I wish would be changed is the GAC being able to be used like an unlimited FP
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Sometimes the line theming helps build up to a ride. Skipping it loses some of the hidden magic
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

It should not be a fast pass. When you arrive to the ride and the sign says 20 min. wait time you get a light that flashes when the wait time is up. You wait in a area and get on the ride at your turn. Everybody waits the same, the people who can't stand in line have an area that is best for them to wait in. Just like restaurants have.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a touchy subject.

On one hand - those who need a GAC in order to enjoy WDW- well please let them have something like this. To some Disney can be an overwhelming state of sights and sounds. The people who have some sort of disability have enough on their plate.

On the other hand - When people abuse a system that is in place to help those with special needs...it really is sad.

On another hand (yes I am handy)- In some way I have to admire the person who thought of 'selling' her services to someone...kind of making lemonade with lemons that life has dealt and then charging a mint for some 'exclusive' people to take her to Disney. I mean how many of us would love to be paid to go to Disney and enjoy the theme parks ? the only part I don't like is the exploitation of the GAC system.

Oh and as a note, on my last trip DW got hurt and we rented a scooter to help her get around. She hated it. She would have rather limped through the parks, but that was unrealistic. the worst was having to take up so much space on the buses. It brings to my mind how there is a trade off'... well anyways

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie T View Post
    It should not be a fast pass. When you arrive to the ride and the sign says 20 min. wait time you get a light that flashes when the wait time is up. You wait in a area and get on the ride at your turn. Everybody waits the same, the people who can't stand in line have an area that is best for them to wait in. Just like restaurants have.
    I really wish they would go to a system like this too. That would actually make the most sense of all.

Everyone always mentions "the fast pass line" as the alternate entrance, but NOT every attraction even has Fast Pass. Most of the rides we enjoy as a family do NOT. I'm talking Teacups, Spaceship Earth, Dumbo (at Disneyland), Toy Story (Disneyland), Small World (Disneyland), etc.

I would happily wait our turn somewhere that is better for our son than the traditional queue. Waiting in and of itself is not the problem. Standing in a queue around other people IS. We wait when we can, which is when the standby time is 20 min or less. That's the threshold we are at these days for "acceptable behavior" in a line full of people.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice - Somewhat related

I'm taking my nephews to WDW for Star Wars weekend next year. They are HUGE fans and I think its a good way to introduce them to WDW.

Both nephews are on the Autism spectrum and I have no experience with this. The older one is very sensitive to crowds and noise.

I hope you don't mind my asking. Does anyone have any experience or advice for us? My sister is real good about their needs and researching things before subjecting them to experiences. If I can point her in the correct direction, it would be great. I would love for them to have this. They say they want to go whenever DD 11 talks about it.

I don't see them needing a GAC but I can see the older one sometimes needing a break from the lines and people. I know there's hidden quiet places at all parks we can find but its not always reasonable to get there quickly. She knows most of the triggers but some times it can come from out of the blue.

Any resources/advice for me?
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

For SWW, it can be VERY crowded (especially for the SWW-related things). People will start lining up early for the motorcade, getting in line quite early for the special shows, and the lines for the Star Wars characters can be quite long (especially for Darth Vader and Chewie). For the celebrities, you will need to have a wristband to meet them. Depending on the celebrity, people have waited in line overnight
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree this GAC can be very helpful to some visitors however I personally witnessed what I considered to be serious abuse of this on our last trip.
    We were waiting for Fantasmic and this woman with lots of kids in tow (some her, some friends and family) was bragging about how they don't need Fast Passes because they have the GAC. She gave the pass to the kids and told them to go have fun. The kids ran off with the pass and rode several rides (RnR, ToT) while we were all waiting for the show to begin. She even admitted that she only needed the wheel chair occassionally when her knee was bothering her but the kids just loved the GAC. She was telling several people around her (we were just listening to all of this) about how easy it was to get one of these and said "you don't really have to say much...they don't ask...so why not???"
    This is what is wrong with the system. I think that anyone who needs it should have it but people who abuse the system are just mean and wrong.
    my 2 cents.

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: