Quantcast Taking 7 year old with many SNs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking 7 year old with many SNs

Ok, so I have a 7 year old with many special needs and I am not sure what I should have the DR. put in the letter to Disney world. He has a partial deletion on a Chromosome, which causes all sorts of things including meltdowns when over stimulated, joint issues, random pains, speech issues, and other emotional stresses and sensory issues. He also has Mild Cerebral Palsy and Super ADHD. I myself cannot stand in a line for very long because of possible MS and or Fibro, I am in dx mode for these. Should I ask for a GAC mainly for the mental/emotional for my son so that if he is having issues and I am having issues standing that we can use exit entries? Do we both need to have a card seeing as his is physical and other and mine is physical? I am really worried about him stressing out because of long lines and heat that he isn't use too and we are partially at the mercy of our gifter for this trip as to when we go to WDW. What would you ask for in order to insure his comfort and your own? To make matters worse we may be traveling with a third SN adult that has Fibro. Thoughts? It always bothers me that people watching will see "nothing" wrong with our son or me and judge us for bipassing lines,but it is also something I am quickly getting over. Do they give a different kind of pass for a child with 13 diagnosis, some of which are emotional?
    Sarah K.
    85-87 Campground - 89 CAbins
    91 The Tree House Villas - 2001 Nov. Lake Buena Vista Best W.
    2002 Movies - 2002 Sports
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2013 DisneyLand- Embassy Suites S
    2014 Disneyland-Anaheim Plaza
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here's a quick primer on the GAC (applicable to your situation).

The GAC is not tied to a medical diagnosis. You do NOT need a doctor's note, or any supporting documentation of your condition. CMs are not allowed to ask for it, and they are not allowed to even look at it (HIPPA privacy laws). CMs are also NOT trained medical professionals. Diagnoses mean nothing to them. What they need to know is what type of accommodation you require in order to experience the parks like everyone else. Here, there will be different answers for you and your son.

The CM will ask "what type of assistance do you need." Here, you will have to be very specific about what types of situations or environments you/your child needs to AVOID and the reasons for such. An example (this is what we say with our Autistic son) would be "My son has sensory issues that make waiting in crowded spaces difficult. He inappropriately touches people in close proximity to him and stims by waving his arms and spinning, or hanging from/sitting on the queue ropes and chains. He also experiences anxiety and claustrophobia in dark, enclosed queues. We need an alternate area to wait for attractions." That last sentence is what the CM needs to hear. The preceding sentences explain WHY he needs that.

Obviously, your explanation will be different, but the end result will determine what type of GAC you are issued. So, you will need to think about what you will need.

A GAC is issued to an individual along with his/her traveling companions. The GAC is good for a MAXIMUM of 6 guests, the individual named on the card counts as one of the 6.

A GAC is only to be used when the individual named on the card will be experiencing the attraction, so if your 7 year old might want to sit out a ride, but YOU want to ride, you cannot use the GAC with his name on it. Thus, you may require a GAC for yourself as well if you anticipate this situation occurring.

We have two boys with special needs. We always only get the GAC for our older son, since he is the one that has the most trouble/experiences meltdowns. Our younger son is very motivated by rewards, and can wait in fairly long lines so if he wants to ride something that our older one doesn't, we just wait like everyone else. We also don't always use the GAC. We only use it in situations that really warrant its use, such as a 45 minute line for Teacups (long, snaking back and forth queue in a small space). When lines are shorter, or they are single file, we don't use the GAC, as our son is capable of waiting, just not in certain environments.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to add- please don't feel self conscious about what others might think. Unfortunately there will always be people out there who are ignorant or judgemental. I think you definitely want to take advantage of this to make for a more comfortable and enjoyable time for you and your son. At the end of the day, these strangers don't matter. Enjoy and have a great trip!

I just have to add my oldest is autistic and most people would have no idea just by looking at him. So I totally understand what you are saying.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I also want to say that you shouldn't worry about what other people may think. We have a son with Asperger's and ADHD, to look at him, he looks like any other "normal" kid. Since we've discovered the GAC, our trips to WDW have become so much more enjoyable. Even my husband, the non-Disney lover, enjoys going with us!

Enjoy your trip with your son, best of luck to you!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

I was curious. When dealing with CMs, how do they decide about particular rides for children with SNs? What if individual says my child has sensory issues and cannot be in long lines or close spaces, does the CM say "the child will be in close space or dark space or it is long on this particular ride?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    I just wanted to add- please don't feel self conscious about what others might think. Unfortunately there will always be people out there who are ignorant or judgemental. I think you definitely want to take advantage of this to make for a more comfortable and enjoyable time for you and your son. At the end of the day, these strangers don't matter. Enjoy and have a great trip!

I just have to add my oldest is autistic and most people would have no idea just by looking at him. So I totally understand what you are saying.
    DVC: you brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for the well thought out and personal answer and for validating my struggles with this. This is so hard for us in some ways but I know that in the end it is sooo sooo worth it. Usually He travels fairly well but, it is the over-stimulation that occurs that is not good and it can ruin a day if it is bad enough and I know you know what that means. We have some "saving" techniques we use for these situations but they don't always work. He too touches and bumps into people because he doesn't recognize that others are around, which is more uncomfortable for other guests in the park. He also doesn't wait well in long lines, hanging on the bars and ropes ..lol.. sound familiar to you I see. He Melts down if he feels someone has disregarded his space and feelings and if he has had to stand too long because then his legs hurt and then he starts to lose it. He has anxiety spells to black out if it gets bad enough which is scary not just for us but for those watching and can lead to a drop out. Our gifter was going to have us stay 1/2 an hour away and I can't do that because he needs to be able to escape for a while during the day. So we are changing that to on grounds for him. Any other advice would be awesome, it sounds like you have done these parks a time or two. We have done small amusement parks, but most their lines are outside and not confined and usually not a very long wait. Thank you so much for your valuable information. I so appreciate it.

Ps... you are right about them all being strangers... It is for his and their safety in the long run and that is all that matters.
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clausjo View Post
    I also want to say that you shouldn't worry about what other people may think. We have a son with Asperger's and ADHD, to look at him, he looks like any other "normal" kid. Since we've discovered the GAC, our trips to WDW have become so much more enjoyable. Even my husband, the non-Disney lover, enjoys going with us!

Enjoy your trip with your son, best of luck to you!
    Thank you Clausejo for the thoughts also. It really does make me feel better to know that we aren't alone. A whole new world opened for me when we found out that my niece has Aspergers and our son has 13 diagnosis that make life.... colorful! They are who they are and what is sad is that to us it's that simple, to others it's not so simple..lol. Thank you for your encouragement!
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoDisney View Post
    I was curious. When dealing with CMs, how do they decide about particular rides for children with SNs? What if individual says my child has sensory issues and cannot be in long lines or close spaces, does the CM say "the child will be in close space or dark space or it is long on this particular ride?
    I guess if you had a child with these issues, you'd understand how situational they are. My son, for example, doesn't have a general fear of the dark or enclosed spaces. However, when HE has to be walking around and he's surrounded by people, and it's dark and/or loud, he can't really cope. When he's inside a moving vehicle on a ride, he has relinquished the control of moving through the environment, so the dark or the loudness doesn't bother him. There are really no rides where you are surrounded by a crowd of people, and for the few there are, he won't ride those rides for that reason. For example, we don't do many shows, since they make you stand in a holding area, and this is a problem for us. We don't do the Haunted Mansion due to the stretch room. Same goes for Tower of Terror, and the library room. He totally freaked out in the line for the Finding Nemo ride, since it was VERY dark in there and the ceiling was really low. He couldn't handle it.

Those are just some various examples of how QUEUES can be a problem while the attraction itself is not.

For us, mostly, it's the inability to wait without constantly fidgeting, touching people, flicking his fingers/hands around (possibly ending up hitting someone by accident), and the need to touch and manipulate EVERYTHING in close proximity, like constantly clasping and unclasping the ropes/chains, or touching the handrails, putting his mouth on them, etc. It's impossible for my son to stand still, and when you are in small spaces surrounded by a lot of people, that is a very difficult thing to have to do.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I guess if you had a child with these issues, you'd understand how situational they are. My son, for example, doesn't have a general fear of the dark or enclosed spaces. However, when HE has to be walking around and he's surrounded by people, and it's dark and/or loud, he can't really cope. When he's inside a moving vehicle on a ride, he has relinquished the control of moving through the environment, so the dark or the loudness doesn't bother him. There are really no rides where you are surrounded by a crowd of people, and for the few there are, he won't ride those rides for that reason. For example, we don't do many shows, since they make you stand in a holding area, and this is a problem for us. We don't do the Haunted Mansion due to the stretch room. Same goes for Tower of Terror, and the library room. He totally freaked out in the line for the Finding Nemo ride, since it was VERY dark in there and the ceiling was really low. He couldn't handle it.

Those are just some various examples of how QUEUES can be a problem while the attraction itself is not.

For us, mostly, it's the inability to wait without constantly fidgeting, touching people, flicking his fingers/hands around (possibly ending up hitting someone by accident), and the need to touch and manipulate EVERYTHING in close proximity, like constantly clasping and unclasping the ropes/chains, or touching the handrails, putting his mouth on them, etc. It's impossible for my son to stand still, and when you are in small spaces surrounded by a lot of people, that is a very difficult thing to have to do.
    Man can I identify with you BrerGnat!! Thank you for sharing. I think this is hard for others that aren't in the situation to grasp. Like I said, for us, they are them and we deal with them everyday.. so it is natural for our families, but to others, hard to grasp.
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Then, the CMs could not possibly evaluate each individual's situation. The parents would be the only ones that could do that. The parents would know their child and the child's limitations. So, only the CMs information about each ride would be helpful, but they should not make a parent's decision on whether the child should go on the ride. Thank you for the response.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoDisney View Post
    Then, the CMs could not possibly evaluate each individual's situation. The parents would be the only ones that could do that. The parents would know their child and the child's limitations. So, only the CMs information about each ride would be helpful, but they should not make a parent's decision on whether the child should go on the ride. Thank you for the response.
    Just wanted to point out, the ONLY CM that makes any sort of call on the GAC issuance is the CM at Guest Relations. Once you obtain the pass, it has a stamp on it that alerts the ride operator CMs HOW to proceed. For example, our GAC stamp says "Alternate Waiting Area/No Fastpass", which indicates that we require a place to wait that is NOT the standard queue or the Fastpass Line. Usually, we wait at the ride exit (like at Teacups), but there are some rides that actually have a designated waiting area, like Spaceship Earth. When you get off Spaceship Earth and you are entering the post show area, just turn around as soon as you start down that ramp, and you'll see the alternate waiting area. It's a roped off little alcove with a seating area. Several rides have something like this. I never noticed it until we had to use it.

When you approach a ride and flash the GAC card to the CM operator, the only thing they do is look at the pass and then tell you where to go. They don't attempt to dictate whether the ride is appropriate or not. Doesn't even come into play.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

BrerGnat, top notch info there.. thank you for the info on the alternate holding areas. That is helpful on planning and most appreciated too! Do you happen to remember what rides are "fast pass" only and are any of them lines where you are required to take the EVC in if My son is not with me and it is just the standing issue this would be nice to know
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_pups2 View Post
    BrerGnat, top notch info there.. thank you for the info on the alternate holding areas. That is helpful on planning and most appreciated too! Do you happen to remember what rides are "fast pass" only and are any of them lines where you are required to take the EVC in if My son is not with me and it is just the standing issue this would be nice to know
    I honestly don't know. I have never had to use a mobility device at WDW, nor have I ever traveled with someone using one. You might ask that as a separate question in this forum, because we have many users who can weigh in. However, as far as I know, having an ECV "identifies" you as a guest with a specific need, so you don't need a GAC if you already have an ECV.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Right.. but I don't like having to take it through lines if I don't have too. I can do short 15-20 minute waits "some" of the time.. I just can't do all the walking and the long lines or my ankle balloons, then the other one, then all heck breaks loose..lol.
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Disney_pups2: Just wanted to echo the Previous Posters to don't even worry about what other people think about accommodations. ANyone who is going to make a comment or a fuss is not worth your time. You know the truth and that's all that matters. I work with SNs kids and have the highest respect and regard for them and their parents as they navigate this world-which is often very difficult and frustrating to do when ignorant people just don't get it. I hope you and your family have the most Magical time at WDW!!
    2001--First time for DS and me!
    2004--First time for DD!
    2007--First time at Poly!
    2013--Thanksgiving with Mickey & good friends!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vamaggie View Post
    Disney_pups2: Just wanted to echo the Previous Posters to don't even worry about what other people think about accommodations. ANyone who is going to make a comment or a fuss is not worth your time. You know the truth and that's all that matters. I work with SNs kids and have the highest respect and regard for them and their parents as they navigate this world-which is often very difficult and frustrating to do when ignorant people just don't get it. I hope you and your family have the most Magical time at WDW!!
    Thank you Vamaggie. I appreciate your thoughts so very much. I feel much better about our decisions to get the gac and keep him as comfortable as possible. There are so many hidden illnesses these days. He has had it very rough at times and is so excited to finally get his dream vacation! Thank you again!
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Never worry about what others think. That is my belief for our now 8 year old there, at work when I need to leave to take care of him (doc, etc), Target, anywhere. That said, I have also never had anyone say anything and we regularly visit - but trust me there would be no concern on my part if they did.

Our son takes his Vic Furth sound reducing headset everytime (local movies as well) for noise. He also has a chromosome disorder (duplication in his case but I understand). Best advice as well - no schedule besides "we are going to park X today" - from there flexibility is the key. God bless!
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexansInNY View Post
    Best advice as well - no schedule besides "we are going to park X today" - from there flexibility is the key. God bless!
    1000 times YES!!!

This is how we roll as well. No ADRs. No schedules. No appointments.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for helping me to understand the system better. I appreciate it. And thank you most of all for the great advice and personal stories and thoughts.
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is helpful that some of you pointed out the exact behaviors that a child can display in a waiting area. These behaviors can distract/bother other guests. So, it would be better for EVERYONE involved if certain guests use an alternate entrance.
    My son hasn't been to Disney, but I can picture him eye stimming along the ropes in the queue area.
    Susan A

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: