Quantcast Change to Park Entry Minimum Age Requirement

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Change to Park Entry Minimum Age Requirement

Disney is changing the minimum age requirement for entering the parks without an adult...

Beginning March 23, 2013, all guests under 14 must be accompanied by an adult or another member of the party who is at least 14 years of age... Current policy states anyone under 7 must be accompanied by a guest 14 and older...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Wonder what prompted that change? Although, seems ridiculous that a 7 year old could enter the parks alone.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Although, seems ridiculous that a 7 year old could enter the parks alone.
    I was thinking the same thing! Could you imagine the mayhem at the ice cream carts?
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

wow, I agree. I didn't even think that a 7 year old could enter a park by themselves. Not sure I would want my 7 year old to do that...

but not to veer OT I guess. Interesting to say the least.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

So, does this park entry age requirement mean that they have to stay with them the entire time? Is this just meant to stop locals from dropping their kids off and leaving?

Given that kids 11+ are paying adult prices, seems like they should have adult access.

Post Thanks / Like

7 is a bit young, but 14 might be too high. On our first trip, I went one morning to MK with only my brother. He was 13 and I was 9. From age 11+ I was going to plenty of places regularly where my parents didn't stay with me and I met up with friends. When our school would take the "family" picnic trip to the local amusement park, most of the parents would hang out at the picnic tables while the kids were off on their own. I think Tekneek is right. It may be more of an issue with locals. I can't imagine most families on vacation make it a common practice to send their young kids to a different park.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    So, does this park entry age requirement mean that they have to stay with them the entire time? Is this just meant to stop locals from dropping their kids off and leaving?

Given that kids 11+ are paying adult prices, seems like they should have adult access.
    Given the wording, I would think this just ensures that children under 14 have a responsible adult or older child entering the parks with them. I don't know how they would enforce that the parents stay with them once they get into the parks.

As far as the cost for an 11-year-old entering the park, I see that as related to the ability of the child to access all the attractions in the park, not necessarily that they're mature enough to do so unsupervised.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    As far as the cost for an 11-year-old entering the park, I see that as related to the ability of the child to access all the attractions in the park, not necessarily that they're mature enough to do so unsupervised.
    I understand the business reason behind the pricing. I see this as a flaw in doing away with the junior ticket, though. Not only do they charge an 11 year old the same as an adult, but require an adult pay to get in with them. Effectively doubling the cost of a ticket for an 11 year old, since the adult is not able to get some type of "no-ride" pass to enter the park.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.

My kiddos are now 13 and 11, and still don't think that I would allow even the 13 year old to head to the parks without an adult.

However, on our trip last month we allowed our 13 year old son and his 13 year old cousin to go to Tom Sawyer Island alone. We met them there about 15 minutes later. They absolutely LOVED that little bit of freedom we gave them. That was our first day in the parks. We allowed them to wander off a bit most days at both Disney and Universal. I would hope this new age requirement is only for entrance into the parks. We were looking forward to allowing the kids bits of freedom on our future trips.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

If they are letting them onto rides without adults, to get food without adults, etc, then requiring an adult enter the gate with them sounds more like a cash grab. An adult could enter the gate and then turn around and leave. The policy accomplishes nothing beyond forcing them to pay for two tickets. If there are issues with responsibility, this policy does nothing to address them.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the business reason behind the pricing. I see this as a flaw in doing away with the junior ticket, though. Not only do they charge an 11 year old the same as an adult, but require an adult pay to get in with them. Effectively doubling the cost of a ticket for an 11 year old, since the adult is not able to get some type of "no-ride" pass to enter the park.
    Yeah, I we would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that blasted Internet!

Interesting thought... Regardless of the maturity level, this does seem to be a plus for the revenue column.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Yeah, I we would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that blasted Internet!

Interesting thought... Regardless of the maturity level, this does seem to be a plus for the revenue column.
    I am definitely not arguing that an 11 year old is mature enough to enter the park and manage themselves all day (I do know that I went to a Six Flags park when I was 12 and 13 without adults and did just fine - but not part of my point). I had not previously thought about it, but I would love for Disney to be able to offer some sort of "companion" / "no attraction" ticket for adults that were entering just so this pre-teen can enjoy the attractions.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it interesting that they have said a 14 year old with ANOTHER 14 year old. To me, they are just trying to protect young people. Let's face it, there are mean people who prey on the young and there is strength in numbers.

I would never have dreamed of letting my DD go without one or both of us (or a friend if that were the case) into any situation.

I don't know about the revenue end, but if they were to offer a "special" ticket to an adult just because they are bring a young person then they would have no revenue at all.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post

I don't know about the revenue end, but if they were to offer a "special" ticket to an adult just because they are bring a young person then they would have no revenue at all.
    Why would they suddenly have no revenue at all?

Post Thanks / Like

I may be in the minority but I think it should be raised to 16!

Lets face it our own kids are always responsible, knows the park, respectful of others, done it 100x... The problem is everyone else's kids

The decision making of groups of pre-teens is always questionable and I think Disney wants to protect their other guests from this ruining their experience.

One big example is going to the mall, some of the language I hear is very inappropriate, especially to my 2yr DD who repeats everything. Other things could be small things like a group of kids making fun of character that "aren't real" when little kids are in earshot and ruining the magic.

I know this can happen even when supervised but most of the time supervision helps since it would not be expected of a 12 year old to think about small actions effecting others.
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's related. Maybe it's not.

BUT, part of MyMagic+ is that guests 13 and under are not "tracked" in the parks, nor can they have magic bands with charging privileges.

Perhaps this is Disney's way of making sure that those guests 12 and under are able to utilize MyMagic+ (and allows Disney to track the "family").
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a problem with the age requirement, per se. I wouldn't send a kid that age into the park all by themselves.

I'm just pointing out that merely requiring someone to enter the park with them, rather than be with them all day, accomplishes nothing more than being able to charge for two adults instead of one. If the child is going to do something irresponsible, is that prevented because a parent entered the gate with them and then left 10 minutes later? I don't see how.

Post Thanks / Like

I had not previously thought about it, but I would love for Disney to be able to offer some sort of "companion" / "no attraction" ticket for adults that were entering just so this pre-teen can enjoy the attractions.
    Back in the "Good Ol' Days" of the ABCDE ticket coupons, there actually was a General Admission ticket. In the early days of Disneyland, it was very common for parents or grandparents to bring the kids but not actually intend to go on any rides themselves. I distinctly remember going in the mid 60's - a 10 ticket book was around $3.50 and General Admission was like 50 cents. Often, parents would opt for General Admission and then end up buying individual tickets when the kiddos wanted mom or dad to go on the tea cups or the train with them. Individual tickets were significantly more expensive than the same tickets bundled in a ticket book.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Interesting. Wonder what prompted that change? Although, seems ridiculous that a 7 year old could enter the parks alone.
    Saw an article on nbcnews this morning, allegedly the spokesperson from disney said no particular event triggered the change. Just that periodically they review their policies and occasionally make changes. Here's the link. If someone could change it to a quote that would be great, being on the iPad I can't copy and paste very easily :/

http://m.nbcnews.com/travel/disney-b...lone-1C8910402
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't let my child into a park without an adult until they were at least 16. The idea of letting kids run around unsupervised is not a good idea for a lot of reasons. But the same people that let middle school kids roam the malls alone would let the kids roam the parks without adults.

Some kids might be mature enough but too much could happen and I think they should require an adult to keep the kids safe and not causing problems for other park guests.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: