Quantcast New post, old topic... trying to move to Florida... ;) - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow... Christine and Ed, you guys rock.... I have to re-read everything just to make sure I got it all!!

One thing that caught my attention - getting to know the CM's at Disney and seeing them on return trips - not something we ever thought of. We have a couple of favorite places up here, and have enjoyed the feeling of "home" there, being known when we walk in, and recognizing the staff there. To find that at Disney would be tremendously cool.

And a BIG factor for us is the "health" factor... we are not a "fun in the snow" type of family, as much as I'd like to say we are. Sledding's fun, but as much as my kids and my DH enjoy skating, it's not something we do much. We're not skiers or snowshoe people, we honestly just really don't enjoy the cold and bundling up. And for me especially, I HATE going out in the cold, so I'm MUCH more sedentary in the winter, and I spend every spring trying to lose the weight I gain b/w Dec & March. Dan and I have said many times how much we'd enjoy having weather we can we out and about in year-round!! (although we are very aware that the hot summer months might be more about lounging in a beach chair and exercising in the wee early morning or late evening hours... or in an air conditioned gym.... )

Mel, we're open to anywhere from Tampa area to Orlando... don't really want to be anywhere near Orlando proper, but it'll depend on where Dan finds something. We were told there are bigger companies in the Orlando area for him, but he also was told to check out Lakeland and Tampa... and those are areas we'd prefer. If he did find something close to Orlando, we'd probably look at the communities that are southwest of the city. My preference is to be closer to the coast, but not TOO close... and I have to keep reminding myself that just because these areas look close on a map, they're still an hour or more away from each other, depending on where you are. It's easy to forget when everything is book-ended by the coastline! Makes the world seem smaller down there....
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Christine and Ed have given some great advice. I have relatives who live in the Orlando area but it is not for me. It's just too busy for me.

I agree with Mel that the Tampa area is lovely. I live about 45 miles north of Tampa. If anything I wish I lived closer to Tampa. Orlando is very convenient to Tampa. You also have beaches, 3 major sports team, museums, a great aquarium, zoo and Busch Gardens.

Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco counties are all worth looking at if you decide on the Tampa area. I live in Hernando but due to toll and gas costs, I would not recommend it to anyone who will have a daily commute to Tampa. Take your time and look around. Each area really does have its own feel.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    My preference is to be closer to the coast, but not TOO close... and I have to keep reminding myself that just because these areas look close on a map, they're still an hour or more away from each other, depending on where you are. It's easy to forget when everything is book-ended by the coastline! Makes the world seem smaller down there....
    HA! You know, for me the world is a bit smaller down there. I was having this conversation on Twitter just the other day. We love to travel, and we've always been a get in the car, go, go, go kind of family. After living on an island for 3 years, then down into Florida for 3 years (can't imagine living even further south!), I sometimes felt 'trapped'. From the Tampa area, the state line around Jacksonville is around 4 hours and believe it or not, it takes 6+ hours to get to the Pensacola area. So that was always a struggle I had. There's a great big United States out there we love to explore. If that's not a big deal, then hey, no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and the Lakeland area is great. Perfect proximity to the beaches and out of the theme park hustle and bustle.

Post Thanks / Like

Blythe, I'm going to give you a different perspective. My parents retired to the Tampa Bay area (Clearwater) in 2004. They loved the relaxing, but active lifestyle. My father passed away in 2010, but my Mom still lives down there. My Mom's sister and some of my cousins live in Tampa (my Mom is originally from Tampa), so after my Dad died, Mom crossed the bridge and moved to Tampa (Dad liked having a bridge separating him from his wife's family ). My Mom has a pretty active social life, considering she does not drive and uses a wheelchair. Like Ed, my Mom and a couple of her girlfriends have season tickets for the Straz Performing Arts Center in downtown Tampa and get to see shows at least once a month. She goes out every Friday for tapas and wine, as well as dinner a few times a month. She did not do half of these things when she lived in NJ.

Both my sister and I have contemplated moving, but at least for me, Florida is not a good fit for me. There are some industries where the salaries are decidedly lower, such as tech jobs. I've looked at software development openings at Bright House networks and the pay is over $30,000 less than what I make here for the same position in the Philadelphia area. Some things do cost less in Tampa, but not enough to make up that big of a paycut. As my relatives all live in South Tampa, I would be expected to live there, not to mention I would want to be there and I would need to make my salary here to live in that area. I've discussed this with my Mom and she agrees with me and thinks both of us would be happier living up North.

As you are a nurse, you won't have the same issue as me. Salaries for nurses seem to be comparable down there. I'm not sure what kind of nurse you are, but All Childrens' Hospital is in St Petersburg and it is a very good hospital with a highly regarded NICU and Tampa General Hospital has been ranked in certain publications as the #1 hospital in Florida.

One thing I and my parents found to be more expensive in Florida is groceries. Selection is also not as good and if you are used to double coupons, they don't have that down there. That was a shock for Mom when they moved down there. Mom loves going to Wegman's and Shoprite when she visits and misses Shoprite's Can Can sale !

Oh, regarding needing to see a change of seasons, my parents (and now Mom) said they will always spend Thanksgiving in NJ. That's as much cold as my Mom wants!
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I want to live in Florida..
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Blythe,

Praying for you and Dan as you make this hard decision.
    I am no winter person either.... another storm is looming as I type this. I see us retiring to Florida later on in life...for now, my whole family is here, and we do get together and are involved in each other's life. My kids need their grandmother!
    However, this might appeal to you...don't Florida State schools give great discounts to in-state students?? That could be worth the move right there!!!
    My husband's co-worker just moved to the Palm Coast. LOVES it!!! Got a job at a local hospital. You will have no problem in nursing, and Dan will find something. For what you can sell your home for in the Northeast, you might end up with little or no mortgage in Florida.
    Keep us posted Blythe.
    My prayers are with you.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    However, this might appeal to you...don't Florida State schools give great discounts to in-state students?? That could be worth the move right there!!!
    Legit question, don't all states do this? In state and out of state tuition?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Not NJ. Please...we pay outrageous taxes too!!! There are no big discounts that I am aware of. I just keep hearing the cost is going up and up and up.

My husband's family lives in South Carolina and his nephew went to University of South Carolina (Gamecocks) for $7,000 a year as a SC resident. That's NOT happening in NJ!!!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Short answer is no, but it's much more complicated than that. In-state tuition is lower than out-of-state tuition most of the time. What is different is how much the in-state tuition is discounted for different students who qualify. It's not set in stone for anyone who graduates high school in state. In Florida, the last time I researched this students in the top 10% of their graduating class were guaranteed admission to a Florida state school they met the admission requirements for. They are not, however, guaranteed admission to any school of their choice. But, this may have changed and there are lots of other options for college tuition discounts out there and it all varies state by state. I researched access and affordability a couple years ago for one of my grad classes and chose Florida as my focus. Other states with similar programs are Georgia and California.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    My husband's family lives in South Carolina and his nephew went to University of South Carolina (Gamecocks) for $7,000 a year as a SC resident. That's NOT happening in NJ!!!

Julie
    That's about what I'm used to being from NC. What is average in state tuition for NJ?

Nikki, what you describe sounds familiar to what I had heard while living in Florida, and also similar to what I know about Texas, for instance. I'm just asking in general, qualified/special programs or not, don't all states have an in-state tuition and a higher out of state tuition?

Glad when I went to school it was simple. Geez. I guess I need to start learning about all this though. We're 3 years away.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both of my children enrolled in the Florida Prepaid Plan for college.

Will it pay off? Hard to say. I enrolled both of mine as infants which is probably the most cost effective way to do it. You either plan a lump sum or make payment for 5 years or until they are 18.

It's not a bad deal. If they go to a FL college, tuition is prepaid. If they don't go to a FL college but go to an eligible college, the funds can be transferred. If they don't go at all, I get what I paid in back.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of any state that doesn't offer some kind of state resident tuition discount or scholarship program. Some states are just better deals than others.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

That's about what I'm used to being from NC. What is average in state tuition for NJ?

Nikki, what you describe sounds familiar to what I had heard while living in Florida, and also similar to what I know about Texas, for instance. I'm just asking in general, qualified/special programs or not, don't all states have an in-state tuition and a higher out of state tuition?
    Here is the undergraduate tuition costs for Rutgers (the big state university)-
    In-State: $10,356
    Out-of-State: $23,676
    Room, board and fees are the same for in-state and out of state-
    Fees-$ 2,717
    Room and Board-$11,412

Now, NJ has other state colleges and universities which are slightly less, but not by much. I looked at Montclair State and Rowan and the difference is maybe $1,000 per year.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like I'm home! I too am among the "maybe move to Florida" club. The tipping point for me happened sometime last month, during the 30-inch snowstorm we had in the Northeast. The person who plows my driveway sent an "I'm sorry, my equipment broke" text. I came down with the flu and a fever, but still had to conquer (as single Mom with some help from DS) my 150 foot long, uphill, driveway. Can you say "Done?"!! Somewhere out there, with my snowpants falling down around my knees, I promised myself I would do some serious and realistic re-evaluations of my living arrangements.

My one DS is still in school, and just starting to think of "where" college may be. I am in my mid 50's, work full time, and will be working FT for several more years. My thoughts are to explore all the options, look locally, check out real estate (at least locations/prices) and if the destination truly feels like a fit, then I can charter a path professionally that gets me there. That may be to move with my current position, or current company, or see if can transition to - could it be - working for the Mouse? Maybe it's a move that happens, but not for several more years - when I can officially "retire". You never know what the future holds - but as Walt said (and this hangs on my wall) "it's kind of fun to do the imposible." Yes, it is.

All of your posts are very helpful, thank you. Much good information and so true that living in the area full time and vacationing are two different worlds. And excellent and real-world pro's and con's to consider. Tuition may be a factor (who knows?). At a minimum, it is fun to explore, and I think we all will feel a spark when we land on what's right, we'll feel it. And that spark will be what fuels us to explore each step of the process.

For now, I'm looking forward to a visit in just a few weeks, and I plan to spend a good deal of time reflecting on the area, driving around, grabbing some local papers and perusing. I do solemnly swear NOT to make illegal U-turns!
    Coming Up !! BLT April 2014
    BCV - 4/12, 4/09, 4/08, 4/07, 4/04
    BLT - 4/11, 4/13
    YC - 4/10
    Pop - 4/05, 12/05
    And in between: WL, VWL, AKL, GF, BW, Poly

Post Thanks / Like

In November 2011 I moved down to Florida for a job upgrade. I hate the snow and think it is great living near one of my favorite vacation spots. If you move inland, I am in Polk County between Tampa and Orlando, housing is pretty cheap. (I got a bank foreclosure built for $300,000 in 2006 at more than 50% off that price). However, things are starting to slowly turn around and those deals are going away.

I will admit that this time of the year it gets very crowded with snow birds everywhere and vacationers can be bad as well. I am in "work mode" and others are in "vacation mode." Sometimes it doesn't mix well.

All-in-all, I love it here though. I watch the TV and hear from my family on the bitter cold snowy days and I am it a short sleeved shirt. Sure it gets hot in the summer but it does up North too. You take the good with the bad.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I have been wanting to move to Florida a lot the last several months. I am just hating winters here in MN more and more. I would not miss the snow and cold ever. Plus I have lived pretty much in the same 10 mile radius all my life and would love a change to a new place with new things to do.

Like others have said the only thing keeping us here right now is our Families live in the area too and would be hard to be far away from them.

It doesn't help that today is first day of Spring and it's only 9 degrees and still no signs of hitting 40's.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Blythe: Wish you all the best with your decision to move to Florida. My son moved to West Palm Beach to be a TV reporter after his Syracuse contract was up last June. He loves it there --- esp while we keep getting snow. However, he does say the summer months are tough and he doesn't like the heat/humidity. But it's a gorgeous area and I enjoyed my 2 weeks with him when he moved and looking forward to another two weeks when Kourtney gets out of school late June.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: