Quantcast The Dragon... - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dragon...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Lucky says Hi... Remember him? OR her? Well, it is sitting inside a shed collecting dust... This will wind up in the same shed sadly...
    Was that the dinosaur that pulled around the cart in AK? He was cool.

True though, he didn't last long.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    Was that the dinosaur that pulled around the cart in AK? He was cool.

True though, he didn't last long.
    Yep, he was the next phase of AA's... the Living Character program... They had the Muppets too.. I think Becker and Honeydew lab guy (forgive me for forgetting his name LOL)... They were supposedly working on Living Character AA's for Electric Mayhem too (the rock band in The Muppets)...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Yep, he was the next phase of AA's... the Living Character program... They had the Muppets too.. I think Becker and Honeydew lab guy (forgive me for forgetting his name LOL)... They were supposedly working on Living Character AA's for Electric Mayhem too (the rock band in The Muppets)...
    I did get to see the Muppet characters. They were so fun and also very cool. I would love to see more of this kind of thing.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I did get to see the Muppet characters. They were so fun and also very cool. I would love to see more of this kind of thing.
    Me too... I never saw Lucky or the Muppet one but from the videos I watched they seemed like cool ideas...

The dragon is a cool idea too, although they need to work on the fire breaking thing... That effect didn't really work from the looks of it... Just too bad this was a one time thing and that's it... So, enjoy the videos...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I can't believe what I just saw, and that no one here has posed the question of how they did that.

I can't believe that it was flying on it's own. It seemed to defy the laws of physics. Was it being towed or hanging from a helicopter or something?

Actually, it doesn't matter too much, because it was awesome either way. I imagine it was an expensive stunt, but if they could pull it off, why can't they fix the yeti?
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    Okay, I can't believe what I just saw, and that no one here has posed the question of how they did that.

I can't believe that it was flying on it's own. It seemed to defy the laws of physics. Was it being towed or hanging from a helicopter or something?

Actually, it doesn't matter too much, because it was awesome either way. I imagine it was an expensive stunt, but if they could pull it off, why can't they fix the yeti?
    It is under a parasail (google it to see what a parasail is). Some videos on youtube the canopy of the parasail is quite evident.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    It is under a parasail (google it to see what a parasail is). Some videos on youtube the canopy of the parasail is quite evident.
    Okay, that's still pretty awesome, and makes much more sense. They must have gotten the design from Leonardo Da Vinci's portfolio!

Again, they can do this, but can't get the yeti to work?
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    Okay, that's still pretty awesome, and makes much more sense. They must have gotten the design from Leonardo Da Vinci's portfolio!

Again, they can do this, but can't get the yeti to work?
    the yeti....thats funny!

Looking at at again, you can see the wheels at the dragons knees and chest. Still cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Jealous of those who were there to see it, but I don't mind it being a one-time moment. That's part of what makes it special.

I also wouldn't mind if they kept it around and flew it every once in awhile.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably my favorite video of this thing is the one where someone was taking video of their kid's softball game, and this thing just comes flying over (it was down in Kissimmee somewheres, I think, on a test flight).

Yes...it's a "parasail" designed to be hidden by the night sky Apparently, they've been working on the drago for something like two years; I *just* found about it last week
    Last edited by Melanie; 12-07-2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: TOS
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    Probably my favorite video of this thing is the one where someone was taking video of their kid's softball game, and thiœs thing just comes flying over (it was down in Kissimmee somewheres, I think, on a test flight).

Yes...it's a "parasail" designed to be hidden by the night sky Apparently, they've been working on the drago for something like two years; I *just* found about it last week
    I havent seen that one! You got any keywords to search it out on youtube?
    Last edited by Melanie; 12-07-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    I havent seen that one! You got any keywords to search it out on youtube?
    Not sure if it's on YouTube, but, here it is:

http://disneydragons.tumblr.com/page/2

Scroll down to "Nov 30th".
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

That video is great! Can you imagine? It must have felt like something in a movie.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    Probably my favorite video of this thing is the one where someone was taking video of their kid's softball game, and this thing just comes flying over (it was down in Kissimmee somewheres, I think, on a test flight).

"Holy cr**!! What was *THAT*...?!?!" LOLOL
    Sorry to report that most of those videos on tumblr.com are manufactured "home video" by Disney (with CGI effects) in an attempt to gin up interest in the "dragon."

The one that really frosts me is this one.
    In it, they show a "silhouette" against the castle (with no ultralight support) and then, make like the dragon just happens to be doing a vertical near-miss on this kid's resort balcony (at about 29 sec. deep.)

I'm all for building up the event, but downright lying about it is not up to Disney standards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    I'm all for building up the event, but downright lying about it is not up to Disney standards.
    Ah, now I get what all the talk is about on Twitter. I've seen a lot of folks with the same feelings you have, and I just hadn't cared enough to investigate. Now I understand, and have to say, I agree with you.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it is not a 1-time thing. I would love to see it. I can imagine that it can only be brought out on specific nights when the wind/weather cooperate.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    Sorry to report that most of those videos on tumblr.com are manufactured "home video" by Disney (with CGI effects) in an attempt to gin up interest in the "dragon."

The one that really frosts me is this one.
    In it, they show a "silhouette" against the castle (with no ultralight support) and then, make like the dragon just happens to be doing a vertical near-miss on this kid's resort balcony (at about 29 sec. deep.)

I almost got tricked by that second video too. However, the instant the "near miss" happened, it clicked in my mind that this was a promotional viral video, and NOT a home video.

I'm not sure I'd call this lying. It seems to be the new way that companies are advertising for things these days. You Tube has opened the door to this type of thing, and Disney is taking advantage of it.

The more you see of these types of viral video campaigns, the easier they are to spot.

If people see them and think they're real...well...that's kinda the point.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

The softball video looked more fake to me than the castle one. Too many quick cuts and immediate reactions by people, a la Blair Witch Project.

The castle video looked more real, especially the kid's face. And yes, it did bother me that it was a manufactured video designed to look like a real home video, although I can't really pinpoint why.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

The dragon sounds pretty darn cool.

But what did it have to do with? I don't recall a dragon being associated with any of the new additions to FantasyLand. Or is it just part of the "fantasy"?
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool effect and viral campaign for it as well. Actually, my wife's old boss at WDW is Gary from the viral videos haha.

Apparently it was only a 1-time occurrence there. I think there are just way too many logistical and safety issues with flying something like that on a regular basis, particularly considering the unpredictability of the Central Florida weather. Actually, Jim Hill posted a nice article a few weeks ago explaining why it was probably only going to be a 1-time thing, based on some safety considerations from past uses of similar technology by Disney. Sorry, don't have a link.

Still, a VERY cool effect and a neat way to promote the new Fantasyland.
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: