Quantcast First time with young boys question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First time with young boys question

My wife and I are really anxious to take our boys to WDW. We were talking today about a possible trip in the spring. If we went in April, they would be 2 years 4 months, and 12 months.

Is this too young? Are we jumping the gun? Should we wait a little longer or go ahead and plan the trip? Thanks for your opinions!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that I am not a parent, but my gut feeling is no, you should wait a couple years.

By then you will be done with diapers, both boys will get a lot more out of it, be more likely to remember the trip, and you as parents will probably be able to relax a little better.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't taken kids that young, but there's no better place for a family vacation with kids at those ages. They might not remember it, but you will. If it is your one and only trip to WDW, wait. But if you plan on going and going back through the years, why not? Go for it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it's not a once in a lifetime trip, I see no reason not to take kids that age. We go almost every year and took both our boys for the first time when they were 1. It's a totally different trip when they are that age. We watched a lot of shows, went at a super slow pace and just had a relaxing vacation. I do recommend bringing your own stroller though. Our boys were both good to nap in the comfort of their own stroller right in the park. We used that time to ride the bigger rides and shop.
    Last edited by Madame Leona; 11-22-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: grammer

Post Thanks / Like

Unless this is going to be a once in a lifetime trip, I say take them. ODS went at 6 months, 20 months, and 3 times this year (he is 3). YDS went at 11 months, 20 months, and 21 months. It is a different type of trip with our boys, but a magical experience everytime. Even at 6 months, our ODS was so interested in all the sites and loved Mickey and the gang. YDS is not so sure about characters, but he loves the rides, music and fireworks.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the advice above. It's okay to take them, but keep in mind if you do, the trip is more about you, and not about them. Don't go with any expectations for the boys. They might love the characters and they might not. They might be interested in the shows or fireworks, or they might be frightened by the noise. You really have to let the kids go at their pace. You can definitely do a trip at those ages, and have a good time as long as you go with the right mindset and no expectations.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I think I am going to join the chorus above. When to go really depends on what the purpose of the trip is. When children kids are that little it is really more about your memories of the trip and enjoying their reactions. They probably won't remember. And that's okay. That's what pictures and videos and you talking about your memories with them are for.

I took my son (now 7) and my daughter (now 4) to WDW at around 8-10 months. We go multiple times a year so I think we have been at every age up to 7.

When they are younger than 2, you have to go slow and take lots of breaks but I didn't find it that difficult. There are lots of rides they can go on with you. As Chris mentioned some have a problem with noise and characters and you won't know until you come across it. Mine were fine for characters but hated loud noises.

2-4 is a bit more challenging because they tend to have opinions , might be potty training, and are more likely to want to run around than be confined in a stroller.

Just plan to take it easy and flexible and you will be fine.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! Definitely more excited about it after reading this thread. No this will not be a once in a lifetime trip. At least I hope not!!

Post Thanks / Like

I say as long as this is not the only Disney trip you
    ll ever take (I think one person said a "once in a lifetime trip"), then go for it. If you don't plan on taking them back, then yeah, I would wait until they are much older and can do everything and understand it all. But if you plan to make somewhat frequent trips then yes!! My son is 2 years 6 months now, and he is going in December for the Christmas party with us. He has been to WDW three times: first trip, age 6 months; second trip, age 2 year, 3 months; and this trip he"ll be 2.5.

We also took my daughter when she was 4 months old. So my son was 2 years 3 months, and she was 4 months old. It was great. My son LOVES it, and we"ve loved taking him. My parents took me alot when I was an infant and toddler age, and I do remember alot even from being that young.

One thing that is key is to make sure that you don't try to overdo it...the pace is alot slower when you have little ones. The trip really turns out to be more about them, which for us is great since we've been so many times. But depending on what your experience with WDW is and what you are looking for, it could be really frustrating.

We loved taking our babies, and there really is alot to do, especially for the toddler. My son loves cars, and so we spent an afternoon at AoA resort in the Cars section, just letting him run around. It was priceless to see him get to "meet" all of his heroes from Cars! And he loved Epcot too. I felt like Epcot was our best park day. It's so much less hectic than MK.

Anyways, it's definitely do-able, and we really enjoy taking our little ones. But i can definitely see how it could be super stressful, just depending on our kids and what you want out of your trip. Good luck! And keep us posted!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Also, do you have ideas for where you might stay? We spent alot of time at our resort just letting him run around and play on the playground and our hotel had an amazing splash water park that he just went nuts over. The AKL is awesome for toddlers!

One great thing about taking the little ones when they are that young is that they are free for everything. Our 2 YO is definitely old enough to know what is going on and where he is...he LOVES going through our trip photos. it is amazing what he remembers and they do take in so much more than people realize. He had never heard of Duffy the bear, we met Duffy for like 2 minutes at Epcot, and when we got back home and went through photos, he knew exactly who Duffy was and also about the big ball at Epcot!

One thing that might help is for the adults to switch off...one can take the baby to the Baby Center or just to stroll around while the other can take the toddler to do rides and meet characters. That's kinda how we worked it, and it was great. And we didn't really do many sit down table service meals. Ours did so much better if we were able to eat whenever they were ready, and not have to be confined to one place for a couple of hours. He did love the San Angel Inn at Mexico for lunch...he still talks about eating in the pyramid and the volcano!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Take them! We have been taking our children since they were babies. Well actually we were going almost every year before they were born and we just never stopped. There will be things they like and some of the most magical moments at WDW happen when kids are young. My first memory in life is actually from the Haunted Mansion when I was only three years old which was my first trip. When we picked up the hitch hiking ghost at the end of the ride it scared me to death and still to this day I can point out which ghost was in between me and mom. lol That is also why the Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning McQueen View Post
    Thanks everyone! Definitely more excited about it after reading this thread. No this will not be a once in a lifetime trip. At least I hope not!!
    It is truly a magical age to take your kids and the memories of the trip will last "you" a lifetime.

One of our favorite memories of our first trip ever to WDW (actually, on of all time favorite memories) was our DD8 when she was 15 months old, twirling, dancing and singing to the fireworks in front of the castle.

I would suggest finding a place you really like in the park and take a picture of your boys in front of it. Then every time you go back, you can get a picture again in the same place.

For us, we have pictures from every trip of our kids with the gnome/troll in Norway that is in the shop at the exit to Maelstrom. We love those pictures and it is neat to see the kids over the years, makes for a great photo set.

Have fun!
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgirl View Post
    Also, do you have ideas for where you might stay? We spent alot of time at our resort just letting him run around and play on the playground and our hotel had an amazing splash water park that he just went nuts over. The AKL is awesome for toddlers!

One great thing about taking the little ones when they are that young is that they are free for everything. Our 2 YO is definitely old enough to know what is going on and where he is...he LOVES going through our trip photos. it is amazing what he remembers and they do take in so much more than people realize. He had never heard of Duffy the bear, we met Duffy for like 2 minutes at Epcot, and when we got back home and went through photos, he knew exactly who Duffy was and also about the big ball at Epcot!

One thing that might help is for the adults to switch off...one can take the baby to the Baby Center or just to stroll around while the other can take the toddler to do rides and meet characters. That's kinda how we worked it, and it was great. And we didn't really do many sit down table service meals. Ours did so much better if we were able to eat whenever they were ready, and not have to be confined to one place for a couple of hours. He did love the San Angel Inn at Mexico for lunch...he still talks about eating in the pyramid and the volcano!
    Well, I'd really like for the boys to experience ft. Wilderness cabins. This is where my family stayed when we were young and my brothers and I loved it, especially riding in the golf cart.

However, my wife isn't thrilled about this. She is a person who has a little more "refined" taste I guess you could stay. We've stayed at poly and bcv together and she loved the beach club. The only other resort that really interests her is the grand Floridian.

I also love the beach club and would love to try the grand Floridian as well, but I don't want the boys to miss out on the cabin experience I loved so much. Maybe we'll compromise and do a split stay. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm. The only places I've stayed are WL, AKL, and CBR (a long time ago). The Grand Floridian to me is very girly. It's definitely refined, but for young boys I think they would enjoy something with a little more adventure!

What about the Wilderness Lodge villas? It's kinda the best of both worlds. The Lodge itself is really gorgeous, and I think it would be refined enough for your wife. I definitely like a refined atmosphere myself, but I also like a sense of adventure and I think either the AKL or WL villas would be great for you, especially with the boys. My son loved the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and I'll have to say it's my personal favorite. It's pretty much the only place we stay now.

Post Thanks / Like

On our last trip, DBF actually remarked to me that all of the babies and children we were passing looked SO HAPPY and calm. Now, I know this is not always the case, but when we went in October, there were so many very young children in strollers and slings who seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely, even if they didn't understand what was going on. Disney is bright, colorful, fast-paced, and sensory overload for young children. There is always some sort of music playing, which is great stimulation for kids, and it is something that is natural and soothing to them. Even if they don't remember a lick of it, I feel like it's a GREAT idea to take little ones. And they're free, what would you be losing?

Take them while they're young, take lots of pictures, take lots of videos, and have as much fun as you can! Kids that age will definitely feed off of your energy- if you're having a blast, they will too.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

As a parent of soon to be three it always makes me chuckle when people mention waiting until you are past diapers and strollers to go anywhere. Kids are very portable. If we waited until there were no babies in the family our oldest would be waiting a long while. Our first trip with 2 kids the boys were 9 months and almost 3 and it was a great trip. There is plenty for little ones at Disney and it's the most family friendly vacation destination I can think of.

I agree with your wife about not wanting to stay in a cabin though. It's just not my idea of a vacation. However, we love the Wilderness Lodge. We like to rent a surrey bike and take the path to Fort Wilderness for the boys to look at the horses. Maybe a good compromise for your family? Proximity to MK is also nice when you have little ones since you'll likely spend the most time there.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed at WL with my family, before I met my wife. It honestly wasn't my cup of tea. When i say that i mean that I liked it, actually I liked it a lot, but I didn't fall in love with it like did with the poly, beach club and ft. Wilderness. The places that appeal to my wife are the "ritzy" type of places like beach club, grand Floridian or even the boardwalk. Not so much the woodsy or adventurous ones. Honestly I think for convenience we will stay at contemporary or gf this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am just going to throw my opinion out there because that is what I do. lol

For me, WDW vacations are supposed to be magical for the kids while they are young. I too personally like the upscale deluxe resorts but I give the kids some input on the resort choices. We have stayed at the wilderness cabins a few times and actually enjoyed them. They are unique and the fort wilderness resort area is interesting. The cabins aren't junky and aren't exactly miles off in the woods either. The area does give you out in the country kind of feel but you aren't in the middle of nowhere. You can rent a golf cart to drive around while you are there, which the kids really enjoy. You can take a boat to magic kingdom. There is the hoop de doo review which is a really good dinner show. Fort wilderness is an experience in and of itself.

In my opinion, your wife should get over it and give fort wilderness a try. She may hate it but then again she may discover she loves it but it will probably be the vacation the kids remember forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Resort choice is so personal.

We stayed at Ft. Wilderness when my son was around 2. I liked it but it is not not one of my top resorts. The cabins are lovely and I enjoyed the extra room, but I really do not enjoy the full size bed and the bathroom is quite small. My son did love riding around in the golf cart but I found it a bit inconvenient at his age. He also loved the bunk beds. But it is not a resort he asks to go back too. I think he was slightly too young to enjoy Ft. Wilderness.

If you are going to Magic Kingdom a lot, anything on the monorail loop is a good choice. I personally loved the atmosphere at the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge. My son loved Bay Lake Tower and the Contemporary. I haven't stayed at the GF.

For my kids (and again everyone is different) the biggest things always seem to be the pool and theming. My kids loves Stormalong Bay so Beach and Yacht are always a top choice for us.

Kidani at AKL lodge has a fantastic water play area for kids plus animals plus the luxury for your wife. The only draw back is it is more remote. On the moderate side Caribbean Beach has a great water play area though my favorite moderate is Port Orleans Riverside.

Since this isn't a once in a life time stay, I would spend time as a family researching the resorts and come up with a compromise for everyone. For me a split stay with young children wouldn't be worth it, but I know lots of people love to do them.

Have fun choosing.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

You are never too young to go to Disney World, IMO! We took our DD for her first trip when she was 5 month old. What I love about taking them that young and every trip thereafter, is that every trip is different, and how they do and perceive things is so different every time, it is like the first time. Your boys will love it at their age. They may not remember a whole lot of the trip in a few years, but that's what photos are for. Go and have fun, let them experience new things and they will have a blast, and so will you! The memories you make when they are at this age are priceless, even if you are the only one who might remember. Just remember to take it day by day, and let them predict the pace. The worst mistake parents do with kids this age is try to do too much. You will be surprised that the ywill find even the little things like a walk thru your resort as an adventure, so if you can't get to it all, they won't think they are missing a thing. Have a magical time!
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: