Quantcast Bye-Bye Blue Men....Hello Wicked?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bye-Bye Blue Men....Hello Wicked?

Saw an interesting news item this morning regarding the Blue Man Group show and a possible change for this theatre.

Apparently even with the revamped show, the Blue Man Group continues to struggle to draw an audience to support its financial targets.

One thought that has surfaced is to resurrect the abbreviated Wicked stage show that was performed in Universal Osaka up until 2010. All of the props and scenery were packed up and sent to Orlando for storage.

This is also being considered as an added entertainment option to Studios and not a hard ticket separate entry show.

Sounds awesome to me!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds great to me also, especially if it isn't a hard ticket separate entry.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen both BMG (Vegas) and Wicked (Broadway).
    BMG is a good show but Wicked is great! Or at least it was on broadway. I don't know if my boys would be interested In seeing wicked though...

I should take then to see BMG before its gone!
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, this is weird. I know it says 'abbreviated' show, but I don't really like the thought of Wicked being cheapened for a theme park production. In Asia, I can see that happening, but not here. I give this possibility a big

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Mel, I'm with you.

I've seen the full Wicked performance and just got tickets to see it again in February. It is a fantastic stage show and I fear it would really cheapen it to cut it short.

I suspect many who would see the theme park version would dismiss an opportunity to see the "real" show on the basis of "been there, done that" when in reality they'd be missing a truly great show.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

After paying the high price of park passes for multiple days for the orlando theme parks, I think it is hard for families to cough up the money for these specialty shows. I often wonder how well the show in DTD does. I'm not surprises they are hurting.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

The Wicked rumor has been running wild for a while now.... First, the rumor was the show would go into IOA in Toon Lagoon's empty theater... Then the rumor was it would replace Fear Factor Live... Neither have happened yet... and may never...

I cannot say how BMG is doing, but the show has run a long time in Universal... If Wicked did replace BMG, I cannot see them shortening it... You'd get the entire musical... Why would they shorten it to theme park length unless it were to go into one of their theme parks?
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would they shorten it to theme park length unless it were to go into one of their theme parks?
    That's the point exactly. It seems there has already been a pathway and access gate built on the US side of the area leading to the theatre. This show would be included in the park admission and not a separate hard-ticket venue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roger's #1 Fan View Post
    That's the point exactly. It seems there has already been a pathway and access gate built on the US side of the area leading to the theatre. This show would be included in the park admission and not a separate hard-ticket venue.
    I just can't see this happening. The price of a full Broadway production show (especially one on the level of Wicked) is often much more than the price of a one day theme park admission. I. Just. Don't. Get. This. Not sure why the producers of Wicked would "stoop" to this level.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see this as an introduction/preview to those unfamilar with the musical which might then lead them to want to see the full show at some point.
    Last edited by NJGIRL; 11-14-2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: outside links not allowed

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I don't see why they would do that when they have an empty theater in IOA (could retheme Toon Lagoon to Oz if they wanted to), or they could enclose FFL's theater and put it there... Or, making much more thematic sense, close Twister, demolish it, and build a new theater and put Wicked there if they really wanted to bring it to USO...

There are rumors Shrek is going to be leaving USO, so maybe they would consider that area for Wicked... I can't fathom why they would remove BMG to put Wicked there and include that as part of the theme park...

Will be interesting to see what exactly happens... Thanks for the info Rog!!!

EDIT: I'll ask around, see if I can find anything out... Maybe someone I know has heard something... If you do hear more, please let us know...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Shrek is not leaving. I love that attraction and it is always packed. But Universal does have a way of getting rid of popular attractions (by popular I mean attractions that ALWAYS have long lines)......Jaws, Kong.....
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Latest is that BMG is staying for now, even though ticket sales are lagging.

On a positive note..... Wicked is still in the works to come to Orlando. Now the question is whether they refurb one of the outdoor venues (FF), indoor venues (Toon Lagon theatre), or redo another space. (Rumors of T2-3D or Shrek 4D)
    I'd prefer they reuse/refurb a show venue than remove an attraction for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Latest is that BMG is staying for now, even though ticket sales are lagging.

On a positive note..... Wicked is still in the works to come to Orlando. Now the question is whether they refurb one of the outdoor venues (FF), indoor venues (Toon Lagon theatre), or redo another space. (Rumors of T2-3D or Shrek 4D)
    I'd prefer they reuse/refurb a show venue than remove an attraction for this.
    T2 is getting upgrades to the show so I doubt that is on the chopping block, though it is in Hollywood... Shrek is on the chopping block, and if Wicked is going to make an appearance in USO, that area would make sense... I don't see it fitting in FFL for several reasons:

1) London will be right next door with Potter
    2) MIB is right next store and that area may be in for a Sci-Fi make over (or should be!!!)...

It makes sense in Production Central where Shrek is, or even replacing Twister since Twister is in the New York section (a Broadway place is very New Yorkish)...

There is a joke going around in Universal among Creative and Team Members: Production Central is becoming 3D screen Central - Shrek, Despicable Me, and now Transformers... Shrek, in my opinion, is very expendable because of this...

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a nice review on the 3rd iteration of the Grinchmas show in one of the soundstages at Universal . It is about 20 minutes long and has some great looking production value including new, original songs.

This is why I think the 35 min. abbreviated verison of Wicked would work here. Maybe not in the current Blue Man Theater, but definitely in another soundstage like this.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: