Quantcast Down syndrome & GAC

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Down syndrome & GAC

We will be going Oct. 2013 and our daughter will be 2 1/2, she also has Down syndrome.
    Now, I know I have no idea at this time what she will be like then, but based off now, she is and still will be a "runner".
    We plan to have a "leash" ( backpack with strap) and a stroller, but some other moms in my Ds parent group ( who have been there with their kids) say get a GAC too.

My question is what do I tell them when I go to get it. We really don't plan on having to use it unless she is in a "running" mood. The other parents said they only used it if their child was not going to stay in line nicely with them, and that then they were able to leave them in the stroller to wait their turn to ride.

I am new to this, as my son with Aspergers never needed one. I almost feel guilty even getting one, because she really can do everything a typical child can, but she does have her moments where it is clear she isn't typical.

Thanks for the help!
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is something that Disney handles very well. All you have to do is go to the Guest Relations in any park and explain the situation to the CM. There are several different GAC options and a stroller as a wheelchair option. The CM's are trained and knowledgeable, and will help you get the best option for your specific situation. No worries. Disney does special needs better than any other place.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

MY 10 year old son has autism Pdd nos and other issues. We been to disney several times with him. But over the last couple of years things have change with him. So this time we are going to use the GAC Pass. You have to have the Doctor write a letter stating the childs disability and reasons for needing the Pass. I also got the letter for both disney and TSA at the airports stating my sons Disablities and stuff. My son is not the most patient person and he is a bolter at times so I think its best to skip the lines when I can. It's always good to have in case. Leaving in 13 days and hoping it all goes well. I would not feel guilty getting a pass. You have to do what you feel is right for your child. Don't worry about what people think. Have a great trip..
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]July 1996 off site
    July 2001 off site
    May 2004 AKL
    May 2005 All Star Resort Movies
    May 2006 PoP Century
    May 2007 POFQ
    June 2008 Coronado Springs Resort
    April 2010 Disney Boardwalk Inn

November 2012 Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Guest Relations will not read doctor's notes- just a heads up (it is not needed to get a GAC).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

They always read mine - I do not want to sit and explain it all so I hand them the note and wait - they read it and give us the necessary cards. They may not ask, but I assure you they will read one.
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexansInNY View Post
    They always read mine - I do not want to sit and explain it all so I hand them the note and wait - they read it and give us the necessary cards. They may not ask, but I assure you they will read one.
    I suppose it depends on the cast member, and how busy they are...

I couldn't get them to read mine...

Uh, no problem getting a pass though.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted confirm that a doctor's note is not necessary to get a GAC.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I would get it just in case. You don't have to use it every time. Just play it by ear

My son as SPD and ASD and we get it. You'd never know at first glance or just pacing but he has his moments too.

Anyway, they have never once asked for any kind of 'confirmation'. And I go monthly 1-2 times [we live close]. I just go to Guest Relations and say I need a GAC. And a stroller as wheelchair tag.
    They have always been great. Even engaging my son and giving him stickers.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE the guest assistance card!!!! Our son is ASD and he has a super hard time sitting sit in a crowded area. They gave us a sticker for our stroller and allowed us access wherever a wheelchair could go. Everyone was so nice about it. They didn't question if he really needed the help, there was so arguing. I just told them his needs. Do not hesitate to get one!
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

A doctor's note for Down's Syndrome? No.

We thought our nephew with Down's would be fine at age 7, very healthy kid, but he just didn't have the stamina of his siblings. Stopped at Guest Services to ask if there was anything they could do for us and they gave us a GAC card and a sign for his stroller so it could be used as a wheel chair, which meant we didn't have to park his stroller outside the attractions. There's a lot of walking involved in just getting from the stroller park to the attraction and through the line and it was wearing him out.

Using the wheelchair and GAC meant a shorter wait sometimes, being able to push the stroller through the line sometimes, and sitting in the wheelchair section for shows. CM's for the most part went out of their way to help us. It made our trip a lot easier and more enjoyable.

My nephew did give us the slip a couple of times, even with 10 of us taking turns keeping an eye on him. He is fast! Luckily, we found him nearby, but I understand your concern. I think he had his name and contact info in a lanyard around his neck, just in case. Good luck and enjoy your trip. It will be magical!
    First trip: 1992 with sister, last trip 2018 with grandchild, not done yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Get a GAC anyway it's free and it will come in handy don't worry about feeling guilty
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: