Quantcast Online check-in...is there any benefit?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Online check-in...is there any benefit?

I've never done online check in before. Does it really speed things up? Does it affect anything differently than if you wait to check-in there?
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It definitely speeds things up. You don't have to give the CM all your info and wait for them to input it, print everything out, get your keys, etc. It's all ready. The only thing about online check-in that annoys me is when someone wants to ask a lot of questions or wants to try to change their room. If you want to do that kind of stuff go through the regular line, but just to pick up your packet and go it's great.

The other advantage I've noticed, and this isn't 100% but about 90% is that it seems to up your chances of having a room ready when you arrive. Online check-in asks for your estimated time of arrival. So far, 9 out of the 10 times I've done online check-in my room has been ready when I arrived when I gave them an accurate arrival time.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have an opinion of whether or not online check-in decreases the possibility for a "Surprise! You've been upgraded!" moment?

Just curious....
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

As Strmchsr has stated there are a lot of advantages.

Our last trip when we got off of DME at POP we walked right up to the on-line check in window. I noticed that there were at least 6 families waiting in line for the regular check in.

Our room was ready at check in time as we had give a good estimate of our arrival. After getting our packet we headed to the room all in about 10 min tops. It was probably less though.

As we walked to the room I noticed that there were still at least 4 families still waiting to check in.

Will I do it again? Oh! yes.

Hope this helps...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion of whether or not on line check-in decreases the possibility for a "Surprise! You've been upgraded!" moment?

Just curious....
    I am not sure if was intended to be a surprise, but when we checked in on line I requested a room close to transportation and a ground floor as my lady friend has a disability.

When we got our packet and directions to the room we found that were we given a preferred room and on the ground floor at no extra cost.

We were in the 50's building 3 within a 150 ft of the food court. It was a nice surprise as in the past we were stuck at the very back in the 90's.

It may be the luck of the draw, but worth trying.

Good luck..
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion of whether or not online check-in decreases the possibility for a "Surprise! You've been upgraded!" moment?Just curious....
    No. They are doing that less and less and when they do it it's usually because they are overbooked. So online check-in really doesn't impact it one way or the other. The best chance to get an "upgrade" is to go during a busier time. Doesn't always happen that way, but that's when it's done more often.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

If you do online check-in do they still take into account your preplaced requests? Like we have on our reservations that if possible we want a bottom floor cause my Mom's knee can't take stairs and yeah there are elevators but we like to ask for bottom anyways, its easier. So would they still see that if we did the online check in thingy?
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    If you do online check-in do they still take into account your preplaced requests?
    Yes, they still do. But you can also request bottom floor again on the online check-in.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I only had one bad experience with online check in. On this last trip, as we were getting in the line to get our packet, the CM working that desk called the next family from the regular check in line. Of course, there was an issue with their reservation. We stood there for about 15 mins while a scene was caused(I have to say, I heard everything and it wasn't Disney's fault), but I was annoyed. I understand the other line was long, but the point they make with doing online check in, is very little waiting. Finally another CM, either caught my vibe or the look on my face, called me over. It then was literally less than 5 mins! This experience will not deter me in the future, but I guess my point is, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We did a split stay and when we checked into OKW, it was seemless!
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We ran into the same problem at PO this summer. We arrived at 10:00 am and since there were no other families in the online check in line they called a family from the standby line just befire we got to the window. Well it turned out to be a large family that had 4 rooms so they had to go through each one and we waited over 20 minutes to walk up and be handed our packet of info and off we went in under 5 minutes. The only good part was that our room was ready so we were able to drop off our carry ons before heading to the park. The previous year at POP they were waiting outside and as soon as we stepped off ME (we were on the only family getting off the bus) they confirmed who we were and had our packet in hand to give to us. So yes we will use it again in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jans2kids View Post
    The previous year at POP they were waiting outside and as soon as we stepped off ME (we were on the only family getting off the bus) they confirmed who we were and had our packet in hand to give to us. So yes we will use it again in the future.

That sounds amazing!! What a cool experience!!
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    It definitely speeds things up. You don't have to give the CM all your info and wait for them to input it, print everything out, get your keys, etc. It's all ready. The only thing about online check-in that annoys me is when someone wants to ask a lot of questions or wants to try to change their room. If you want to do that kind of stuff go through the regular line, but just to pick up your packet and go it's great.

The other advantage I've noticed, and this isn't 100% but about 90% is that it seems to up your chances of having a room ready when you arrive. Online check-in asks for your estimated time of arrival. So far, 9 out of the 10 times I've done online check-in my room has been ready when I arrived when I gave them an accurate arrival time.

This has not been my expirience the couple of times I have done online check in. I must be the minority but I have not found the process to go any quicker. Definitely not 5 mins as a PP had experienced.
    Glad the question was asked.

To those that have had a better expirience with it, how early are you oing the online check in?
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1113 View Post
    To those that have had a better expirience with it, how early are you oing the online check in?
    I do it 10 days out, the first day that you're able to. Out of curiosity - what has been the hold up for you? Unless you have a lot of special requests (which, if room location or something else is really important to you and you might want to request a switch depending on where you are, online check-in probably isn't the best thing for you) it shouldn't be anything more than walk up, give your name, get your folder and go.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

All of our on-line check ins have been quick and smooth, except for one time. We were literally walking up to check in, a man butted infront of us and said Sorry I need to go first. He got up to the CM and yelled and argued with her for quite awhile. We probably waited 10 to 15 minutes.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    I do it 10 days out, the first day that you're able to. Out of curiosity - what has been the hold up for you? Unless you have a lot of special requests (which, if room location or something else is really important to you and you might want to request a switch depending on where you are, online check-in probably isn't the best thing for you) it shouldn't be anything more than walk up, give your name, get your folder and go.
    Nope, no special requests at all. Nope, has never been give my name get my folder and go.
    For me the process has never been any quicker than regular check in. They take just as long at the computer and just as long to put the folder Together and get my keys.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I also forgot to add this is a DVC reservation, I wonder if that will affect anything about check-in?

It seems like it depends alot on the resort. And also other guests being rude! I hate when people butt in line, unless of course it is an absolute emergency. I don't understand why some people cannot grasp the concept that we all have been waiting in line, and that even if they have just a quick question, or a major complaint, that they need to wait in line just like everyone else! How annoying! But I guess, like everything else, you have to keep a postive attitude and just let it roll off...why let something like that ruin your trip at the very beginning?!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

We did not have any luck with on line. We used it last visit to POP. We arrived at 12:30 inthe morning and nothing was made up. In fact, when we arrived at the desk there was no one there. There was one other family. Finally, some one came out and went to the reservations desk, not on-line check-in. The other family were settled as we patiently waited. When we were served we found out there was nothing in our name at on-line check in. So in all it took about 25 minutes to get sorted out. We had no special requests other than a fridge. Talk about being tired and frustrated. Then there was no fridge in room. We were told we had to wait until the next morning. We explained we had groceries delivered which we did not want them to wait awhole day for us. Not pleased. This was the only bad thing that happened the whole trip thankfully.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pally View Post
    We did not have any luck with on line. We used it last visit to POP. We arrived at 12:30 inthe morning and nothing was made up. In fact, when we arrived at the desk there was no one there. There was one other family. Finally, some one came out and went to the reservations desk, not on-line check-in. The other family were settled as we patiently waited. When we were served we found out there was nothing in our name at on-line check in. So in all it took about 25 minutes to get sorted out. We had no special requests other than a fridge. Talk about being tired and frustrated. Then there was no fridge in room. We were told we had to wait until the next morning. We explained we had groceries delivered which we did not want them to wait awhole day for us. Not pleased. This was the only bad thing that happened the whole trip thankfully.
    This is why I am debating whether to use it or not this coming October. But, if it works like it is supposed to it would be great. 25 more days to decide.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

I love online check in. I have always had a room that was ready. Saving time in line at the resort means more time for fun!

The only time I had an issue was once at Pop. But they were having resort wide computer issues, so they get a pass for that!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Let me give you my reason for online check in. A few years ago we booked two reservations at CSR. My Father did the online check in and I did not. When we arrived at CSR the line for check in went all the way past Pepper Market!!!! Why? Because hundreds of NCAA athletes were there for a convention. They were all checking in individually. I asked a manager if we had to wait in line and they said there was no way around it because each NCAA reservation was made seperately. The stinking wait time for check in was over 3 hours!!! As I was speaking to a manager and several other families were extremely upset as well, my Dad walked past me to get his packet from online check in and proceeded to his room laughing. Trust me, don't take a chance, do the online check in!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: