Quantcast Am I the only one that chooses the "Value" resorts over all others? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at almost every resort and villa at Disney. Our family grew too big for values, then after we outgrew POR, we bought into DVC. We spend a lot of time in the room and really do prefer the villas, room wise. We still love the values for their over the top theming and fabulous food courts. We were at Boardwalk Villas labor day weekend and drove over to AoA to explore and eat at the food court. Everyone loved it! Moderates and deluxes are a disappointment to us in the counter service category. Table services are nice on occasion but most of our meals are counter service and the token establishments at the deluxe and moderate levels are frustrating.
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneydeb View Post
    remember values now have refrigerators and I know Pop has a curtain separating the sleep/dressing areas.

do the all-stars have the curtain yet??
    The room I was in at All-Star Music at the beginning of August had the curtain.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I also think when you have small children the values are so much fun for them. I always loved watching their reactions to the different hotel themes. It was cool to stay in the Sports when the boys played baseball tournaments. The kids would have a blast. We did try Moderates and AK (loved it) and they were nice, but if you asked all the kids where they wanted to stay. It was always hands downs the All-Stars...Now that they are older and we don’t fit in the rooms of any of the choices (except Deluxe/villas) we just opt to stay off property and they are fine with it. I hope to be back to the All-stars one day with grandkids (way in the future)…
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

we prefer the values as well. We have stayed villa and deluxe, too much money as far as I am concerned. We stayed villa because they offered us an upgrade from POP...... very large resort, too large. (saratoga). Will never accept an upgrade to Villa again, spent so much time waiting for buses due to size of the resort I think. also I didn't feel like I was in Disney. I wouldn't pay to stay in a moderate because I don't think there is enough of a difference btwn value and moderate. We LOVE POP we feel like we are home when we arrive. I have booked a feb 2013 vacation at AoA little mermaid and am excited and if we get lonesome for POP it is a short walk across hourglass lake. So no you are not the only one who prefers Value over the rest.

Nichole
    2000 - asmu (1st trip) AUG
    2001 - Off site OCT
    2002 - 2008 POP JAN YEARLY
    2009 - Saratoga Springs SEPT
    2010 - POP NOV 28 - DEC 3
    2011 - POP - OCT 10days
    2013 - POP Feb 23rd - Mar 2nd (originally booked AOA but my family doesn't like change I guess lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nfrustaci View Post
    I wouldn't pay to stay in a moderate because I don't think there is enough of a difference btwn value and moderate.
    To me there is actually one major difference, that being the fact that most of the mods now have queen beds. That little extra bit of sleeping room can sometimes make or break a vacation...both for parents who are used to spreading out when they sleep...and kids who are prone to have bed wars.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for not crazy. Every trip we consider whether or not to try a mod or deluxe, and it just never makes sense for us. We spend so little time in the room that we cannot justify the extra $$. We love visiting and dining at the other resorts, but nothing about the ones we've seen have ever made us feel like we HAD to stay there. And, when we've had such amazing service and experiences at a value, that makes a difference. We would definitely never turn down an upgrade, but I can understand Darthmacho's comment. The change would definitely throw my husband to some degree.

Post Thanks / Like

....another vote for "Not Crazy".

....we have only stayed at Values (ASM once and at POP 9 times), but have checked out [quite thoroughly] the potential to stay at a 'higher level' resort. This past trip we were offered a free upgrade to the AoA suites so we could be near my brother's family ....and we declined.

....the way I see it is, I want a room to sleep, shower, and dress ...that's it. I'm never impressed with higher end room amenities.

....and regarding the need for "separate areas" to dress, etc., the values have a privacy curtain to separate the main room from the sink and bathroom area. This worked just fine for us, even being that it was me vs. wife and 2 daughters (ages 16 and 23).

....by staying at a Value, I'm also assured of the ability to afford a vacation at WDW each year.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

OK, DW and I bought into DVC in 09, and got to stay at BLT in 10. Leaving for a drive to BLT tomorrow.
    Before that we always chose a value resort, staying at ASMu, ASMo, and Pop. Before that we stayed at Port Orleans, before the merger with Dixie Landings, and at Carribean Beach, when they were the least costly on property.
    DW and I are theme park commandos. We used to be there at opening, and stay til they threw us out at night. Now we are getting old, and head in a bit later.
    We never spent any resort time. That would have taken away from park time. In all of our trips to the World, I have never even been in a pool.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the same way now too. Ever since I stayed at the Pop the first time, it's now my go-to hotel when I visit Disney World. I've stayed at every level, and yes they're all very nice, but we spend so much time at the park that all we really need when we get back is a bed and a shower. I can enjoy the other resorts if I want to go shopping or dining, so I feel like I get the best of everything.

Post Thanks / Like

We spend so little time (overall) at the resort that we almost always opt for value resorts... Well, that, and the lower rates means more money to spend in the parks. I like the over-the-top themes in the value resorts.
    ºOº The Ziemer Family
    Chris, Chrissie, William & Hailey
    1989 Off Grounds (I was only 10]
    2001, 2003, 2005 ASM
    2006 POP
    2008 ASM
    Sept 2010 POR
    Oct 2012 AoA - Food & Wine Festival w/o kids!

Post Thanks / Like

Values!! Only stayed at PO once when sis had a 50% off CM discount.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Disney View Post
    We spend so little time (overall) at the resort that we almost always opt for value resorts... Well, that, and the lower rates means more money to spend in the parks. I like the over-the-top themes in the value resorts.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

No you are not insane. We always stay at the "values". We stay there simply for the cost. Most of our day is spent in the parks and not at the resort so for cost reasons that is why I choose them. If I was offered an upgrade to any resort I would jump on it.
    Scrappy

Post Thanks / Like

Nope! I always go value. I see it this way. The values are to me, the most "Disney" and most fun. Looking at the inside and outside of top end resorts you could really be almost anywhere. At a value, you KNOW you're at Disney. Plus, the money I save can be spent on gifts, food, or anything else. I just can't justify spending 3 to 4 times the price...
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

We are considering trying the Values again. Though I've enjoyed the moderates, especially PORS. We are thinking about AoA or Pop. But I will never stay at any of the Allwhatevers. Plus the threat of more tour groups at the values. Where to stay is the decision the wife and I discuss. I prefer to spend more w/ more amenities while she says spend less in order to spend more else (more restaurants).

Post Thanks / Like

It will be a LONG LONG time, if ever, that we will stay at a value again.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with the original poster. We LOVE the values. The theming makes you really feel like you are in Disney. You can't find that at any other hotel. We were upgraded to the Contemporary and Saratoga Springs, and I agree, I will never take an upgrade again. It just wasn't the same feeling. I felt like I was staying in a Hilton at the Contemporary and we absolutely HATED Saratoga Springs. We actually asked to be placed back in a Value, and ended up at the Movies, where we were much happier. We are definitely Value fans! If you are crazy, then so are we! Next crazy trip, JANUARY 2013!
    Formerly luvinmesomedisney. Someone in the family turned off my "remember me" button and I forgot ME. Forgot my password so had to use a different name.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I before kids loved the value you get from the value resorts. However now three kids later I could not imagine ever staying anywhere other than the villas. Being DVC helps with that but we love having days at the resorts. Also we need the extra room. My biggest thing is location. It is SO helpful being able to leave a park and walk back to the room for the kids naps or just to take a break. We really dislike relying on the buses especially after a long day/night in the parks. I will say though that you are not crazy and I too love the themeing of the values. When we were first married we used to walk on the boardwalk or go through the monorail resorts saying we'll "never stay in these". Now we are the ones saying we'll never stay in those! Would really like to check out the AoA resorts.
    May 03 OKW Apr 14 BWV
    Apr 04 Pop. Oct 14 BWV
    Apr 06 Riverside
    Dec 08 BWV
    Apr 09 SSR
    Nov 09 BWV
    May 10 BCV
    Nov 10 BWV
    May 12 BCV
    Oct 12 BLT
    Apr 13 BWV
    Jun 13 AKL kidani