Quantcast More downsizing

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: More downsizing

Post Thanks / Like

Default More downsizing

First it was the monorails stopping service early. Now, I just read that beginning on Sunday, Splash Mountain will no longer be open for evening Extra Magic Hours at the Magic Kingdom.
    I also read that the Turf Club at Saratoga Springs will switch to dinner only on Sept. 30.
    The Splash Mountain move kind of caught me by surprise, because it's such a popular attraction. Anyone have any ideas why they would do that?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Dd you hear in place of this, the tiki birds will be open late for extra magic hours!!???
    A few people said (on another thread) that they thought it was a cost thing. A few others speculated it was because it was going to have a refurb.
    I think it's a bad idea, lots of people LOVE to ride splash mountain at night! (myself included!!)

6 days!!!!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

I was bummed as well when I heard this, as riding Splash Mountain in the dark at night is more enjoyable to me (my opinion) then during the day.

Instead of Splash Mountain, they are adding The Enchanged Tiki Room and the newly revised Country Bears Jamboree too the extra magic hour schedule.

What is the cost to run Splash Mountian at night?

Since extra magic hours are only offered to those who stay on Disney Property and with less people vacationing I would have to say that this is another move by Disney to save money.
    Brer_Fox

Disney Trips
    1988-2000 - 3 Trips Off Property

Oct 2005 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon)
    Oct/Nov2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    Oct/Nov2008 - Wilderness Lodge/ Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Oct/Nov 2012 - Beach Club Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I read this earlier today. What a BAD choice by Disney! I agree, Splash is even more fun after dark. I am so sad about this.

Post Thanks / Like

If memory serves me right, probably in the Q3 thread, there are rumors of resort closures, etc swirling arund WDW.

I think it's pretty apparent that attendence is down, or at least not what they want it to be. They can easily shudder rides and even resorts to save costs. Wasn't French Quarter or Riverside closed for a while under the guise of a refurb??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Wasn't French Quarter or Riverside closed for a while under the guise of a refurb??
    I sort of remember this. After 9/11?

They could close down FQ for good (in the name of cost cutting ), and I wouldn't mind a bit. lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it was probably around then, man it's already been 10+ years?

Point is, there's precedence for this type of action. Not that removing a ride from EMH
    is a tell, but...

The news coming out of WDW always seems to have a slant towards cuts. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. The annual meetings and quarterly reports are the ones that don't lie. Connecting the dots between prior annoucments and the earnings reports has gotten a lot easier in recent years, so much so that I don't think it's a stretch to assume the worst with any new news/announcements.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    They could close down FQ for good (in the name of cost cutting ), and I wouldn't mind a bit. lol!
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I personally love FQ. And I thought I just saw a stock report that Disney posted a very strong quarter recently?
    Perhaps the cuts are just because they are going into the slow time? And I imagine that running Splash Mtn is fairly expensive since it is such a long ride. I know there have been times when we've been there late at night and there is hardly anyone riding it. So it is cost prohibitive to run it if it's got very low ridership. So I guess I'll have to make sure I get my rides in during the day and not wait until the EMHs to try to get on it.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAYROLL PRINCESS View Post
    I personally love FQ. And I thought I just saw a stock report that Disney posted a very strong quarter recently?
    Yes, but no thanks to WDW. It was due to DL and ESPN I think, or maybe it was the Studios (Think Avengers). Definitely not WDW, they were flat or lower than expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I sort of remember this. After 9/11?

They did close down FQ after 9/11 under the guise of a refurb (which we all know came much , much later). My mother had our reservations (Christmas for 14 of us from our parents) made for POFQ and then she was called and told they were now at POR.

As for the latest cuts by Disney - at some point the loyals (us Intercoters included) will get fed up and not spend the money to come for as long as usual. I have two local friends that have chosen to NOT use their DVC at WDW the past 3 years. They have used them at HHI for the most part. Spending most of their money at the local spots on HHI rather than with Disney.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MstngDrvnDsnyLvr View Post
    I have two local friends that have chosen to NOT use their DVC at WDW the past 3 years. They have used them at HHI for the most part. Spending most of their money at the local spots on HHI rather than with Disney.
    I usually just skip over the other DVC options, but they might be onto something. While it's not a great value, I might not be opposed to using my points elsewhere just to spite them. You can rent them out and get back more than enough to use elsewhere, but then they are still benefitting from someone visiting. Let them worry about filling the rooms on their own, maybe that's a bigger/better message.

Post Thanks / Like

It is really ashame. They just keep cutting and cutting, but yet increasing the price.

Maybe they are seeing lower quarterly earnings, because they have priced themselves out of a lot of peoples price range.

1. In the past few years (maybe more), they have offered less and less and asked for more.
    2. Fireworks at MK used to be every night.
    3. Fall and winter park hours are shorter.
    4. Monarail shutting down earlier
    5. EMH being shortened
    6. Rides being excluded from EMH.
    7. Appetizer and tip excluded from the dining plan.

You definately are paying more for less.

I am one of the lucky few that get to go pretty much yearly, but the trips have definately become shorter in length, because we are going on other vacations instead of spending all of our vacation at WDW.

I love being at Disney. I love the smells, the views, the feeling you get walking in the parks. I just hope that "They" open their eyes that if they keep increasing prices and taking away, people are going to go other places.

And for the record, FQ is my favorite resort (beats even the GF in my book). I would be if they closed it down.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Default Changes

People here are always complaining about (1) crowds and (2) cuts and threatening to stop coming. Please honor your threats and we fix 2birds with one stone.

Change is the only constant and I would love the parks to be less crowded!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JROriole8Fan View Post
    People here are always complaining about (1) crowds and (2) cuts and threatening to stop coming. Please honor your threats and we fix 2birds with one stone.

Ditto!
    Also, if they stop the free dining maybe we could keep the room price down some?
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JROriole8Fan View Post

Here's what I think some people here don't get, and sometimes I don't think Disney does (I know they do though), if people do stop coming, it means less and less things for people like you to enjoy because Disney won't make the money to be able to create new things, keep the parks open longer, or keep things like they are supposed to.

I hate large crowds, so there are times of the year I'll never go again (week of Christmas), but crowded parks are a good thing and just about any other time of the year is not that bad.

Ditto!
    Also, if they stop the free dining maybe we could keep the room price down some?
    The dining at Disney is one thing our family really looks forward to, its good food and great time with the ones we love. We like to prepay for our food so everyone can order what they want and not really have to worry about how much they spend at dinner. So yes, there are people that are going to purchase the dining plan, and for people like us the discount is better with free dining then most room discounts that are offered. So it does work for some people.

As someone who typically stays at a moderate resort, free dining typically works out better for us, and we'd rather have that than room discounts.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    Here's what I think some people here don't get, and sometimes I don't think Disney does (I know they do though), if people do stop coming, it means less and less things for people like you to enjoy because Disney won't make the money to be able to create new things, keep the parks open longer, or keep things like they are supposed to.
    I view that a little differently. If people stop coming (and the overall number of people available to come has not declined...and it hasnt--the population has increased) then the reason for the decline is that the park has become less appealing to he masses (either for economic or recreational reasons).

At that point, Disney then either has the choice to shut down things to cut costs (and thus risk greater decline in revenues as more folks step back due to diminished options) or begin to truly reinvest in the parks and lure folks back. I hope we are in the beginning of a cycle that will begin to accomplish a bit more luring.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
    First it was the monorails stopping service early. Now, I just read that beginning on Sunday, Splash Mountain will no longer be open for evening Extra Magic Hours at the Magic Kingdom.
    I also read that the Turf Club at Saratoga Springs will switch to dinner only on Sept. 30.
    The Splash Mountain move kind of caught me by surprise, because it's such a popular attraction. Anyone have any ideas why they would do that?
    The ride did not get its annual refurb this year because if BTMRR being down for a major refurb. Splash is showing the effects of not being refurbed for almost two years. It needs more time for continuous maintenance and to limp it though until the major annual refurb in January. It might get a major one then.

Whether this is permanent remains to be seen. Disney has been getting a lot of pressure from its major investors to reduce operating costs. The way you do that is reducing paid man hours. More people are needed at Splash than Tiki so reduced operating costs. That is a second factor.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Disney has been getting a lot of pressure from its major investors to reduce operating costs.
    Oh yes, because the company's $1.8 BILLION profit last quarter had them shaking in their Guccis.

Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: