Quantcast Moderate - which to choose?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Moderate - which to choose?

Looking at a week long trip next September and beginning to think of the resort. In the past, we've only stayed Value, but we've decided to look into Moderates.

We love Pop, for the themeing and for the busses. We are spending more time at the hotel this time, looking at a couple afternoons by the pool for instance rather than just hitting the parks constantly. Just DH and I, 52 and 51 respectively.

Which Moderate would be well Disney themed, with good busses and pools (and poolside bar(s)?) I understand that's pretty general, but I'm looking for your favourites and your reasons.

Thanks for your help!
    Once as a kid
    Sept 1992 with hubby offsite
    May 2005 Disneyland Paris!
    Sept 2005 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2007 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2009 with hubby - AS Sports!
    Sept 2014 with hubby - POP!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorites would be Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans.

Coronado Spring Resort is a fairly large resort with wonderful landscaping. It has a large pool as well as quiet pools. Although a moderate, it has more of the amenities one usually associates with deluxe accommodations.

Port Orleans is a small, intimate resort with a nice pool. You also have the option of going to the pool at the sister resort - Port Orelans Riverside just a short walk away. Here, you have the added bonus of being able to take a boat to and from Downtown Disney.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite moderate resort is Port Orleans Riverside. I love all the beautiful plantings, the theming, and the fact that it is so spread out. I also like that you can easily walk to French Quarter and go to their food court. I also like the boat from Riverside that takes you to Downton Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

I would place my vote on either POR or the French Quarter. I have stayed at POR a few times and it is very beautiful and very quiet.

The bus service works very well and sometimes shares with the French Quarter but does not make for a lot of problems.

There is also the advantage of going to Downtown Disney via the boat launch from either POR or the French Quarter.

Hope this helps...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE Port Orleans Riverside. It has a great main pool, at least two quiet pools, a nice sit-down restaurant, a good cafeteria, and fabulous theming.

Coronado Springs is a close second, the main difference to me is that I like the quick serve at POR better.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Have only stayed at CBR and POFQ. Really liked the quaintness of POFQ. Bus service was good and enjoyed the boat ride to DTD.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

I love port Orleans riverside. Great theming, easy bus system, great eating area with many choices and a few great pools. Not a huge fan of Caribbean beach resort, have never stayed at coronado.
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Love Dixie Landings, aka PO Riverside. Just great.

Post Thanks / Like

We were facing the same decision for our trip last week, as we had never stayed at the moderates. We chose Coronado Springs and LOVED it. It is a beautiful resort. It's also very quiet there. The main pool area is set back behind trees and other landscaping which I think absorbs some of the noise from that area. There are 4 bus stops so you won't be too far from them and there are also a few quiet pools spread throughout the resort where you'll beable to relax without all the noise of the main pool area. The room was roomy enough and very clean. I loved the decor and colors in the room. I know we will definitely consider staying there again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    My favorites would be Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans.

Coronado Spring Resort is a fairly large resort with wonderful landscaping. It has a large pool as well as quiet pools. Although a moderate, it has more of the amenities one usually associates with deluxe accommodations.

Port Orleans is a small, intimate resort with a nice pool. You also have the option of going to the pool at the sister resort - Port Orelans Riverside just a short walk away. Here, you have the added bonus of being able to take a boat to and from Downtown Disney.
    same w me. POFQ is smaller, nice little walks and boat to DD, beignets in the am in food court. and you can walk along the river to POR
    CSR is a business resort sometimes w conventions so maybe less families, but has business center, health club. the food court is a little different. i havent eaten at Maya their TS place
    i like the locations of both.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

We've done three of the moderates, and CSR is our favorite. We also enjoyed our stays at POFQ (loved the size here) and POR (beautiful landscaping and very ncie food court.) Both of the PO resorts have boat access to DTD, which is a nice bonus. All three resorts had good bus service and are in a good location.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Coronado Springs is an excellent resort. The pool is excellent, the lobby is exquisite, and the buses are great. However, the Disney theme is not as dominant there. There is nothing wrong with that. But, if you want to blasted with Disney 24/7, CSR is not going to do it for you.

POR is great as well. Last time I was there was when it was DL. Excellent place to stay.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I would go for Coronado Springs; it has wonderful landscaping and the pool area is great too.

There is something about this resort I just love, it's hard to put your finger on really. I really liked Pepper Market, but if you want something quick it's available or you can go to Maya Grill for a great meal if you want something more formal. In short there is something for everyone.

We are of the same age group though and I would have to say CS is my favorite of the Moderates.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Coronado Springs would've my choice. My family loves the big pool area. And the slide is awesome, even for the adults.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - excellent information! Thanks so much for your responses - though CS sounds good we do like to pop over to DTD so we may look at one of the Port Orleans.

Thanks again!
    Once as a kid
    Sept 1992 with hubby offsite
    May 2005 Disneyland Paris!
    Sept 2005 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2007 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2009 with hubby - AS Sports!
    Sept 2014 with hubby - POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Coronado Springs is a huge favorite of mine for many reasons. The resort itself is gorgeous! The room decor is sharp (using the lighter blue and brown colors) and the pool area is awesome.

A close second is Port Orleans Riverside. With the recent makeover of this resort, it's back up top of the mod list for me. The grounds are lovely to walk around, food court is great, and it has a fun pool with a great poolside bar area. Boat to DTD is a plus!

My family also enjoys Caribbean Beach. Although not our fav mod, we'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

French Quarter is our least fav, and I can safely say we'll never stay there again.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also vote for Coronado Springs. The theming is great but if you are planning on alot of pool time, it has the best pool area of any of the moderates IMHO. If I was to rank the moderates I would vote

1) Coronado
    2) Port Orleans FQ- it is more compact and easier to navigate with less walking, has great theming as well, and we like the boat to DTD.
    3) Port Orleans Riverside- We felt it was more relaxing than the others. We weren't crazy about the theming because we actually live less than a half mile from the Mississippi River and we live it everyday.
    4) Caribbean Beach- Nice tropical feel, but absolutely huge. Never been a big fan.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool CSR or POR

I think CSR or POR are the best choices. Great theming and buses at both. We're staying at CSR again later this year.

Im sorry to say, I cant agree with those on POFQ. On a recent stay at POR, we went by FQ to walk around. The food court was just shocking. Absolutely filthy. It looked gaudy. I would NEVER stay there.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

My top choice would be POR. It has a very relaxing atmosphere. My favorite section is the mansions. It has lots of amenities. The pool area is fun and has my favorite pool bar. The bar area is large and has plenty of seating and shade.

CSR would be my second choice. Depending on where you are, the walk to central services can be quite long. Cabanas is my favorite area here. There are some pretty "beach" areas with hammocks overlooking the lake. The pool area is great. There are some extra amenities not found at other moderates such as a beauty salon and exercise room. It also tends to feel more adult to me since it is a convention hotel. Another plus is king rooms are a book able catergory (or were when I stayed there). I personally do not care for the Pepper Market quick serve but I know some love it.

I like POFQ for my family but for a couple it might not be the right fit. The pool is smaller and themed for younger children. There is no quiet pool. The New Orleans theming with its courtyards is pretty and like POR it has the boat to DTD.

I really have nothing negative to say about CBR. We stayed there and enjoyed it. I would stay there again but I found the pool and pool bar area really lacked shade.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We love going to Corondao Springs. The theming is excellent, the pool is incredible, the food court is the best (especially when you're on the DDP), and the bus service is very prompt. I'd go there on this upcoming trip if I could've gotten free dining there.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: