Quantcast Walt Disney World and Disneyland to Launch "My Disney Experience" application

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Walt Disney World and Disneyland to Launch "My Disney Experience" application

Disney Parks & Resorts has internally announced that they will launch a new multi-platform application to enhance Guest's in-park experience.

The new application, My Disney Experience, will be available at the Walt Disney World resort in August 2012 and at the Disneyland resort in 2013.

The application will be launched for iPhone, iPad, and Android platforms in August 2012 with versions for Blackberry and Windows phone platforms to follow in 2013.

The application has been confirmed to feature the same functions as Disney Mobile Magic (wait times, character locations, maps, etc.) and is semi-confirmed to include interfacing with the forthcoming RFID-based FastPass and Park Ticket system.

As a result of the new application's launch, Disney Mobile Magic will cease operation in Early 2013.

My Disney Experience will be available through individual platform's application marketplaces at no charge.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This sounds neat! One thing that makes me curious is why I've been seeing a push for the Mobile Magic App on commercials lately. Why would they sink so much money into it only to stop it in 2013?

Do you think they hope those that are on the Mobile Magic App will like that so much it'll have them jump over more easily to the new app?
    Laura
    VMK: CL_MissAstroCat

Jan 1982-1992-OS • July 1993 - DL Paris • June 1995-ASM • Mar 1998-OS • Jan 2001-OS • Dec 2005- POFQ • Jan 2007- POFQ & Dolphin • Mar 2008- CB • Aug 2008 - Poly • Nov 2012 - POR • Nov 2014 - CSR&AKL • Mar 2015 - POFQ & HilBV • May 2015 - ASSp • Mar 2016 - CB & HilBV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missastrocat View Post
    This sounds neat! One thing that makes me curious is why I've been seeing a push for the Mobile Magic App on commercials lately. Why would they sink so much money into it only to stop it in 2013?

Do you think they hope those that are on the Mobile Magic App will like that so much it'll have them jump over more easily to the new app?
    Since this app will replace Mobile Magic and is also free they can just force the Mobile Magic app to update to the new version.

I can't wait to give this app a try on our up coming trip. I hope at least part of the new fast pass system is running by then.
    Last edited by seanyred; 07-31-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Typo
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Default International Data Rates #Fail

As a Canadian, I would love this functionality, but at $5/MB for data or I can pay $10 and $1/MB this makes this functionality expensive. Any chance they are going to create free wifi throughout the parks that would create a way to get around the need for data?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by potzie View Post
    As a Canadian, I would love this functionality, but at $5/MB for data or I can pay $10 and $1/MB this makes this functionality expensive. Any chance they are going to create free wifi throughout the parks that would create a way to get around the need for data?
    I wouldnt think this would eat up a lot of bandwidth, just a guess though. I only have 2MB on my plan and never come close to it.

Now granted I use Wifi a lot, I'd think you'd have to be doing some streaming if you are going to get close to the 2MB. As long as there is no streaming, Id think if you have a normal data plan on your phone, you'd be ok.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    I wouldnt think this would eat up a lot of bandwidth, just a guess though. I only have 2MB on my plan and never come close to it.

Now granted I use Wifi a lot, I'd think you'd have to be doing some streaming if you are going to get close to the 2MB. As long as there is no streaming, Id think if you have a normal data plan on your phone, you'd be ok.
    I think the problem is, they are Canadian, and thus will probably eat up International minutes and data while at WDW (a US location). International rates are usually priced high... Courtesy WiFi would be nice, and I think they could limit it to Disney properties if they wanted to (they allow some web access for free on the ship, pay gets you outside sites).

Post Thanks / Like

Figured that they were going to add some sort of in-park app like this.

Sounds neat.

Would LOVE to be able to get fast passes on the phone.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    Figured that they were going to add some sort of in-park app like this.

Sounds neat.

Would LOVE to be able to get fast passes on the phone.
    As long as the fast passes are for the same day, and not days in advance, Id love that also.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post

Are you sure you are not thinking GB? 2MB is about 5 webpages for the month maybe less. My wife's iPhone uses about 300MB/month and she isn't streaming anything. My Blackberry which are are known to be much more efficient in how they process data uses about 50MB/month. At $5/MB for international data usage even 10MB would be $50 to use this "free" app for a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure you are not thinking GB? 2MB is about 5 webpages for the month maybe less. My wife's iPhone uses about 300MB/month and she isn't streaming anything. My Blackberry which are are known to be much more efficient in how they process data uses about 50MB/month. At $5/MB for international data usage even 10MB would be $50 to use this "free" app for a week.
    Actually, yeah you are right, i was thinking GB and not MB.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I like about this is that it is not Verizon ONLY! The Disney Parks app is OK, but will be glad that this new one will have a but more to it.

Looking forward to putting this on my Tab once it becomes available.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw a report that Free WiFi is coming to the Magic Kingdom and that it will be rolled out to all the other parks over the next few months.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

And the Data Mining, I mean $1 billion dollar waste, um, NextGen project begins...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC

Just saw a report that Free WiFi is coming to the Magic Kingdom and that it will be rolled out to all the other parks over the next few months.
    Yep. Some Guests have even reported that it is now active at the Magic Kingdom.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad to hear about the WiFi, just so us Canadians (and other international visitors) aren't left out of all of the new functionality coming.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know when the new app will be available? I just checked the App Store and didn't see it. I am going to WDW soon and hope to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else think the Wi-Fi at the parks is going to stink as bad as the Wi-Fi at the resorts? All those tens of thousands of people gobbling up all the bandwidth so it's super slow and kicks you off all the time?!?!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Anyone else think the Wi-Fi at the parks is going to stink as bad as the Wi-Fi at the resorts? All those tens of thousands of people gobbling up all the bandwidth so it's super slow and kicks you off all the time?!?!
    No doubt. "Free" wifi is a great thing, but not in this type of environment. The speeds will be slow, especially with an app like this. I will use my cellular data and hope that is not at a snails pace.
    ºOº The Ziemer Family
    Chris, Chrissie, William & Hailey
    1989 Off Grounds (I was only 10]
    2001, 2003, 2005 ASM
    2006 POP
    2008 ASM
    Sept 2010 POR
    Oct 2012 AoA - Food & Wine Festival w/o kids!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j2k View Post
    Does anyone know when the new app will be available? I just checked the App Store and didn't see it. I am going to WDW soon and hope to try it out.
    I read somewhere possibly beginning of August... But haven't seen any kind of official date yet...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    They can (and probably will) use traffic shaping to prioritize NextGen traffic over other non essential traffic. They certainly won't be allowing people to run BitTorrent clients all day on their network. Even non Disney sites can be slowed to a crawl if they wanted to. Hey, maybe that's what they are doing now!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: